Saddest Fictional Death

curtmina

Jun 7, 2010
Dumbledore, I just felt a strong need to cry after that.
Gandalf in Fellowship movie, you thought he was fine and then he's dragged down.
Serenity

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
Maes Hughes. . . I should have guessed when his two year old kept making appearances and telling her daddy how much she loved him.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Mostly Harmless. It's the last book in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.
Spoilers

The ending is extremely abrupt. Everyone dies and Earth is removed from existence in every dimension. Oh you meant saddest as in weeping...not stupid.

Boromir from Fellowship of the Ring was really tragic and it moved me quite a bit.

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
This thread again...

I'll go with death of Kenny from that one (or more) episodes of South Park. Such a poor (not wealthy), innocent (lies) boy.

luna_moth

May 20, 2009
Egobrain said:
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I -gurk-
:(
That one is definitely high on my list of saddest deaths. Damn you Joss Whedon and you're love for killing people we're emotionally attached to...

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
"Bridge to Terabithia"

Leslie did nothing to "deserve" the fate, Jesse is left all alone with only emptiness and misplaced guilt. There is no vengeance, no relief, no explanation, just randomness. The sense of loss is tangible and it just seems cruel to a lonely sympathetic character to lose something so dear. The only thing we're left with is sometimes we just endure life.

Shihan2

Apr 14, 2009
I almost cried when I found Bill dead by the generator in Left 4 Dead 2's DLC. He was the only character in either games I didn't despise

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
EVERYONE in Grave of the Fireflies. It remains one of only two films where I can't stop myself crying every time I see it. The other is Pan's Labrynth.

mettle_edge

Aug 7, 2010
errrrr, got ninja'd on Hughes from FMA and the dogs from Where the Red Fern Grows, so I'm going to have to go with Toboe from Wolf's Rain. It was so sad, and just when he had gotten badass too.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
Maybe it's just me, but...

[spoiler: Spoilers] In Red VS Blue: Reconstruction, Church (AKA the Alpha AI!) went to distract the Meta while Agent Washington activated the EMP (sorry, the Emph), claiming it wouldn't effect him, since he is, in his own words "a motherfucking ghost".

Turns out that those were his last words, as Word of God states that the Alpha is effectively gone. This depresses me, because the Church we've all come to know and love, who's been there from the very beginning, is gone. (Not that I have anything against Epsilon, but in his current condition, he won't be able to do anything...) [/spoiler]
This affected me at the time, mostly because I couldn't believe they actually killed him. And, ya know, he was pretty damn awesome. And also, from Mass Effect:
Wrex, when Ashley shot him against my orders. But I avenged him...when I left Ashley to die in a nuclear blast.

Justice is cold.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
dieing for the first time in spore

because you get so danged attached to your little walking monster

Omega V

Apr 21, 2010
JoeCool385 said:
Grand Admiral Thrawn from Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. I mean, I know he was the villain, but damn what a villain.

"But it was so artistically done...."
this. He was so awesome, why!??! Also, his death basically doomed the galaxy to endless cycles of bloodshed; he was trying to unite the galaxy under a competent mility leadership to effectivly counter the extra-galactic threat of the Yuzan-Vong, and his death cost the lives of trillions. (and made possible several terrible plot arcs)
unfortunatly i could find a decent image of him in his grand admiral uniform

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Probably not the saddest, but it's late, so for now I'll say Harry Stamper (Bruce Willis) in Armageddon.

Xartarin

Oct 3, 2010
I'd say the little girl from "Grave of the Fireflies", the only time a movie has ever brought me to tears.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Bravo 21 said:
Valkaris said:
Root from Artemis Fowl
so true, the most emotional part of the storyline
I still can't take those books seriously after something about radiation in the phone lines. THAT'S NOT HOW RADIATION OR COPPER WIRING WORKS. IT'S NOT, IT'S NOT, IT'S NOT.

... and yes I get that the story has faries in it.