Saddest Fictional Death

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
Nick Andross from the Stand, Wash from Firefly/Serenity, and Jake Chambers from The Dark Tower Series (I almost couldnt finish the book after that one)

TheJulz

Dec 7, 2008
The uncalled for death of Piggy in Lord of the Flies (If this is a spoiler to someone, I don't apologize, you should have read it already.)

And like a few other people, I was so joyous when I had the chance to leave Ashly to die in a nuclear explosion.

Drummah

Dec 30, 2009
Girly Answers: Dumbledore, Angel being sent to hell in Buffy Season 2

Real Answers: Gwen Stacy, Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider

And come on, dude.
Mufasa.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Noble Team.
I agree, I actually felt saddest when Jorge died.
Also, whatever happened to Jun? I assume he died somehow, it just bugs me not knowing how.

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
There's a few.

Allan and Garnett got me pretty bad in Road to Hill 30, and Red being paralyzed at the end of Hell's Highway was just brutal.

When Eli Vance died, I literally sat at my computer for a long time, stunned and not sure what to do.

I suppose it's debatable as to whether he actually died, but Wander turning into the demon-god-thing at the end was pretty incredible and altogether unforeseen on my part. How amazing was that scene...

Fuck you, Joss Whedon, for killing my two favorite characters in the same movie within about twenty minutes of each other (Book and Wash). That was simply not cool, especially not after us fans brought that beloved series back from the dead. Uncalled for. In fact...

Fuck you, Joss Whedon, for doing horrible things to everybody in your series'. Buffy has people dying all over the place, towards the end of the series. My girlfriend and I were watching the entire thing through, but I stopped about three-quarters of the way through season six. I couldn't handle it anymore. Yes, they are good episodes. Yes, we care about the people that die. But goddammit, is it too much to ask for a little happiness? It got to be so depressing and so overwhelming I just refuse to watch any more, at least for the time being.

Jesus...

In Season Four, when Rita dies. I couldn't believe they would kill her, and I still can't believe it. Wow.

When Sergeant Johnson died, I had to bite my knuckle. When Noble Team died, one by one, I had to bite my knuckle. When John 117 went into cryo at the end of Halo 3, I had to bite my knuckle (though that was mostly because of the emotions you could see in Cortana in that scene).

However, all of these pale in comparison to a single book.

The only book to successfully make me weep like a little girl. I knew it was coming, I knew that Harry was going to die. But dammit if it still was emotional enough to make me bawl my eyes out. Jesus, that book hit me really hard.

Yeah. There are a few.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
Drakmorg said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Noble Team.
I agree, I actually felt saddest when Jorge died.
Also, whatever happened to Jun? I assume he died somehow, it just bugs me not knowing how.
Jun's alive.

OT:
Spike from Cowboy Bebeop. The music, the setting, his last words, all of it was so perfect, and it was the first time I ever cried during an anime.

"Bang."

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
Dango said:
Nagisa and Ushio's deaths were just unbearably sad. I was crying the whole night.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Utsuge

Apparently, Japan has an entire genre devoted to making the audience cry, in which case, the staff of Key should be congratulated for doing their job so well.

Dooblet

May 14, 2009
I can still be a man and admit that I shed a tear or two at the end of Red Dead Redemption

curtmack

Apr 19, 2009
Slightly off the beaten path, Erstin Ho's death in Mai-Otome really got to me.

See, most companies will just nod and say "LOL WAR IS BAD" as the punchline of an hours-long campaign of guns and explosions, without any real justification or explanation. Mai-Otome went that extra mile by taking a likeable character, killing her in a horrible and tragic way, and then saying "This is what happens in wars."

Just my two cents.

dariuskyne

Oct 28, 2009
Pretty much the entirety of the Stark clan, Eddard Stark gets introduced and killed in the first book of the series, framed for treason and beheaded as his daughters watch, then about the third book Eddard's son, Rob Stark, gets his head taken off and Rob's pet wolf's head nailed onto the stump, at his uncle's wedding, also this is where Katelyn (rob's mother) also gets killed and these are just the MAIN CHARACTERS! the "good guys" the people you follow through the story, and over half of them get offed in horrible, mean ways... which is why this series is so goddamned good.

I like that the author's willing and able to kill off characters, but man, vicious...

cannot_aim

Dec 18, 2008
The last Harry Potter book, Eli Vance in half life 2 episode 2, and the last episode of the remade BSG

Nabirius

Dec 29, 2009
Hughes from FMA, honestly the only reason the poor guy died was because he couldn't stab his wife, and what his daughter says at the funeral doesn't help much.