Saddest Fictional Death

The Axon Hillock

Sep 4, 2010
The Blue Mongoose said:
Metal Gear Solid 3
The Boss. Saves her country, sacrifices everything, but has to be remembered as a traitor by everyone except the one who killed her. Oh by the way, she was killed by someone who was like a son/brother/husband/soul-mate-thing to her.
Enthusiastically seconded. I couldn't believe they actually made YOU pull the trigger...
Or, hey in the next game...
The Boss himself.

Kyman102

Apr 16, 2009
I present to all of you the deaths that I consider the saddest ever in fiction...

Kamina from Gurren Lagann, Hughes from Full Metal Alchemist, and...

Littlefoot's mother in The Land Before Time! God DAMN that scene! ;_;

goodwithwords08

Jul 8, 2009
I agree the saddest would be the Clannad After Story deaths, I can't even think about them without tearing up.

Anyway my contribution is a recent-ish one, the death of Ace in One Piece, I mean come on they go through so many episodes and chapters of Luffy trying to save Ace and then when he finally does Luffy watches Ace die just in front of him...his own brother..................

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
this is gonna sound lame, but Vegeta his 2nd time dying in Dbz.

Or i was kinda sad at Kaidan Alenko's death in ME even though i didnt particularly like him

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
The way that the real John Locke died. He lived such a hard life, found meaning, lost it, and tried to get it back again, but couldn't convince anyone else to believe in him and come back to the island- then Ben killed him to suit his own goals. Then you later hear that his last thoughts were "I don't understand..." wow.. that's a downer. Technically was the death of my favorite character

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
CK76 said:
"Bridge to Terabithia"

Leslie did nothing to "deserve" the fate, Jesse is left all alone with only emptiness and misplaced guilt. There is no vengeance, no relief, no explanation, just randomness. The sense of loss is tangible and it just seems cruel to a lonely sympathetic character to lose something so dear. The only thing we're left with is sometimes we just endure life.
Seriously why do they make us read that book as kids?

My friend said it was to build up dreams and then tear them.

Dejanus

Jul 15, 2010
*DONT KNOW HOW TO DO SPOILER TAG, BEWARE*

In Robert Buettner's Orphanage series:

Ord. The old bastard was like 80, still kicking sluggo ass, and then is wasted by a fucking disease. I was sad, and kinda pissed for the guy.

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
John Coffey, the black inmate from The Green Mile.
Seriously if you did not cry at that movie you have no soul. You know it's going to happen to whole time, but when it finally happens... oh God ...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
ZelosRaine said:
Zelos Wilder's death in Tales of Symphonia (assuming you choose that path). As he is my avatar, I might be a bit biased, though.
Yeah just a tad, I took great delight in putting that pompous annoyance to rest.

Errrmmm Letsee...I really have to think about this.

Oh of course, Spike Spiegel that knocked the wind out of me (as no one had thankfully spoiled the ending for me by the time I FINALLY got around to watching it)

ivxx

Sep 19, 2010
William Ossiss said:
isnt it obvious? the two dogs from "where the red fern grows" and, of course, gandalf the grey.
We read this out loud in my 5th grade class, and I bawled like a baby. Not my proudest primary school moment, to say the least.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
dariuskyne said:
Pretty much the entirety of the Stark clan, Eddard Stark gets introduced and killed in the first book of the series, framed for treason and beheaded as his daughters watch, then about the third book Eddard's son, Rob Stark, gets his head taken off and Rob's pet wolf's head nailed onto the stump, at his uncle's wedding, also this is where Katelyn (rob's mother) also gets killed and these are just the MAIN CHARACTERS! the "good guys" the people you follow through the story, and over half of them get offed in horrible, mean ways... which is why this series is so goddamned good.

I like that the author's willing and able to kill off characters, but man, vicious...
Of course I cheered when we finally got rid of Catelyn Stark, but then that bastard brings her back...

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
If you have ever read it:

The Last Book in the Universe.
at the end the old man that basically gave the main character the idea to try and change the way the world was was taken as a scapegoat and murdered by enraged people who couldn't go into something similar to Life Light from Pendragon

Also from Pendragon:

Nevva Winter because she was like the angel to Saint Dane's devil. She was evil yes but not completely so that she wanted to destroy everything.

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
Dobby from HP: Deathly Hallows. Yes Hedwig was sad but her death happened so quick it didn't really affect me. Dobby had a whole chapter devoted to his funeral and had me tearing up.

This thread makes me sad.

How are people putting the little spoiler boxes into their posts?

dong1225

Apr 2, 2010
Kanon

Death of Makoto and later the realization of death of Ayu Tsukimiya before OMGWTF HAX! moment.

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
William Ossiss said:
isnt it obvious? the two dogs from "where the red fern grows" and, of course, gandalf the grey.
Wow, you just shot me back to grade 5 when our teacher was reading this to us and everyone was crying, including her. She couldn't finish.

wkim564

Sep 21, 2009
Nukey said:
Drakmorg said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Noble Team.
I agree, I actually felt saddest when Jorge died.
Also, whatever happened to Jun? I assume he died somehow, it just bugs me not knowing how.
Jun's alive.

OT:
Spike from Cowboy Bebeop. The music, the setting, his last words, all of it was so perfect, and it was the first time I ever cried during an anime.

"Bang."
I second spike, watching the series I just got so attached to the character, the only time I ever cried for a fictional character, the music is just the real kicker along with the setup.