Saddest Moments in a Video Game

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
When I first beat it, the ending of Kingdom Hearts 1 left me hollow, and that one scene in the Secret Place during the credits shook a few tears loose.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
About half way through the epic that was Homeworld 2...

I think i nearly cried. These guys where just too cool... :(

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
gigastar said:
I would put forward !evil Cole vs. Zeke in inFamous 2.
After 30 playthroughs I've only ever played the game evil once, this ending made me weep, making me watch Zeke's death heartbreaking, making me pull that button three times.... now that's evil!

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Malyc said:
Wait. Letting them die was the PARAGON option? Good thing I'm going renegade this playthrough then.

Aslo, Captcha was Council Escitat. Odd, considering we are talking about the council...
Ops, I apologize. It was the Renegade obviously. Edited post for correction.

Catie Caraco said:
I did a playthrough where I saved them, then uploaded it into ME2.. and they STILL treat me like dicks. Never.Ever.Again.

Also.. you saved Kaiden over Ashley? Really? I can't take Kaiden seriously with that douchey-hair and the fact that his V.A. played a really pathetic pedophile on Law and Order SVU and now plays Jimminey-frigging-Cricket on Once Upon a Time. I romanced him in a play through JUST so I could cheat on him with Garrus.
In ME2, regardless of who you save in ME1, you will be treated like a dick. So much for being a saviour.

Video is not mine. It's one I found on Youtube. I saved Ashley myself, for no good, as it turns out she loathed me like the plague.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Aerith's death in Final Fantasy VII.

/thread
I Ctrl + F'd just to find this post. Thank you for not making me have to go to the other 3 pages.

OT: What I quoted.

lewwatt

Dec 27, 2011
Letting someone die in Heavy Rain, I didn't see it happening and I thought I could only save myself. I agree with everyone about RDR, I was convinced I would have no trouble.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
2008, Liberty city. The Perestroika.

A shootout occurs, mainly centered around Niko Bellic. Several gang members Perish as Niko Bellic fights his way through the bar, the backrooms, alleys and the rooftops.

Having finaly executed Mikhail Faustin he turns around to find a lonesome police officer charging towards him. Gun held high. "Freeze!" he shouts towards the armed immigrant.

But it was all for naught, as the rain caused him to slip down the stairs, land on his feet by the end. Stumble five metres forward, trip and fall twenty feet to the hard concrete. Where he slowly bled out, pleading the armed psycho to tell his wife, that he loved him.

I never knew his name. But I will always remember him, as did Niko Bellic.

Here's to you, you clumsy, clumsy man.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Faith's story, at the Russian factory in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

GirDraconis

Jun 11, 2011
POTENTIAL SPOILER!

What about the story of Boone's wife in Fallout: NV? That whole thing was pretty unsettling for me. It was so nice to watch that old woman's head get blown clean off.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
*spoiler warning: Cave Story

For me, it was in the second worst ending (Not nearly as bad as the one with Kazuma but still pretty Pyrrhic in the end) when Curly gives you her air tank to keep you from drowning - you just have to leave her in the underwater core chamber, and then that music starts to play as the doors lock behind you. What a downer.

Tough, but the best ending is definitely worth the trouble.

nobodysomebody

Jun 30, 2011
The ending of Crisis Core. It was mostly because of the song, but how in the final battle Zack's thoughts are about Aerith, it was just sad.

And about Aerith/Aeris's death in VII, maybe I'm just cold hearted or something, but it wasn't sad, like, at all. It was just shocking, not sad. In my opinion anyway.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Everything near the ending of Red Dead Redemption plus the semi-secret final dual. That game stands as my favourite game partially because of how well it translates from such a gritty, harsh atmosphere to such a saddening moment.

Then there was that famous moment from Kingdom Hearts 2...
Where you think Goofy dies and then you go on to kill the 1000 heartless. That was super sad and it was actually so believable at that moment. I'm pretty sure I jumped up from my seat in joy when he came out of nowhere and greeted Sora, Donald, and Mickey.

The ending to L.A. Noire was pretty sad, assuming you paid attention to and the high paced ending and the events leading up to it.
I really didn't expect Cole to die, and it was so sudden that it took a minute or two to beleive that he wasn;t coming back, that he couldn't escape his grim fate.

My final example might be a surprise to some of you. So, Surprise surprise! Its Halo 3!
The ending that is, You know that he lives, and now that Halo 4 is coming out it practically ruins it, but at the time, I found it very, very depressing. Master Chief, a man bred for war, trapped because of his self-sacrificing character trait. You get that feeling that he is going to die, even if no one mentions it, you just know. Cortana somewhat draws out the emotion and makes you feel what she feels, even if she is just an AI. I really don't know how to properly explain it, but for me, it is a truly emotional moment that proves Halo is much more than just for the multiplayer.

Doragon Shinzui

Dec 7, 2009
I've got a pair of good ones that really hit me hard.
1. The end of Bastion. Actually, the entirety of Bastion. That game has the emotional weight of a small planetoid, and is probably the most melancholy game I've ever encountered.
2. Not quite as weighty, but the end of Metroid Prime. Yeah, you've saved Tallon IV. But the whole thing's been ruined, and the last remnants of the people that raised you are burning before your every eyes.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Planescape: Torment

Every time you talk to or recover memories about you dead ex-lover.

?At your core, you looked at what happened to you like
taking territory in a war; everything was like a battle to you, and
you were the most ruthless bastard I ever near met. Naught else
mattered except for solving that goal. Poor Deionarra with her
sobbing and pleading with you didn?t sway you none, the gith
warning you about your strategies, and poor Xachariah just
trying to hold on when we hit the Planes. You were tough like
you couldn?t die, but we were only human. Now I guess we?re
all in the dead book? or in and out of it, so to speak.?

?Deionarra swore she'd follow you to Baator and back, and by the Powers, she was so
addled by the thought of you without her she did just that. Cared
little for me or the gith, and a bare little it was. She was wild
with heart poison for you, she was, proof she was barmy. I don?t
understand what the womenfolk saw in yer scarred mug, but it
set their blood a-boil. She was some rich scut from the Clerk?s
Ward, and you needed something from her, and the only price
was that she came with you.?