Sailor Moon Gets Italian Game Makeover

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm not sure I'll be particularly excited about this revitalization. I can't help but think that the magical girl genre has moved on to better places since Sailor Moon's first go-around.

SailorShale

Apr 3, 2010
Oh PLEASE come back to everywhere else in the world.

Remastered too so we don't get incestuous cousins.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Tim Latshaw said:
Lucane said:
Is it odd that I'm concerned about why Amy's(Sailor Mercury) hair is dark green instead of dark blue?
YOU CAN'T HAVE HER!
Er--I mean--yes. That is a reasonable question to consider. *cough*

sorta had a fictional crush on her back in the day...
Like wise but then I started favoring Lita (S.Jupiter) back in the day.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
Viruzzo said:
I, as an Italian, don't really see a need for this... Italian teenagers grew up watching manly stuff, like Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)!
Irrelevant bits (after reading the press release): apparently you can customize the sailor's costumes, and it describes every sailor's special ability in detail... This is gonna suck.
BTW, the title means "Sailor Moon: the Moon Shines" (duh).
So, there are no feminine people in Italy, at all?

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
This keeps looking more promising.

Fingers crossed it all goes well, and we might even get a new Sailor Moon series!

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
justnotcricket said:
Uh...ok, so perhaps all Italian men are too macho for this game. =P Fair enough - but, er, what about the uh, you know...the *women* in Italy? Perhaps they might like it? ;-) To be honest, I don't think this game is *technically* really aimed at guys anyway...
Amund said:
So, there are no feminine people in Italy, at all?
Actually, anime haven't had a lot of success with girls here, and the only girls I know in the 20-30 range that have any sort of interest in Sailor Moon are the VERY otaku/nerd ones. By contrast, I'm positive that the DBZ and FotNS games that have come out in the recent years have fared quite well. Also keep in mind that gamer girls are even more uncommon in Italy than in the general population (as far as I can tell).

justnotcricket said:
It's like all of these things - the anime/manga is aimed at girls with the characters and romances and all that stuff, but the people who produce it know that the long legs/boobs/incidental panty shots etc aren't exactly going to put the guys off either... ;-)
True, but I don't think any Italian male could bear the shame of being discovered owning a Sailor Moon game...

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
I figure Salior Moon and co are due for a comback, its been almost 20 years since it first aired.

But Please, Please for all that is sacred make it more mature and not so heavily edited the next time around. This is 2011 not 1990

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
geldonyetich said:
I'm not sure I'll be particularly excited about this revitalization. I can't help but think that the magical girl genre has moved on to better places since Sailor Moon's first go-around.
Yeah, that´s probably true.
But come on, it´s a classic.
One of the codifiers of the genre.
And it´s always nice to be able to look at where a genre came from and compare it to where it´s now.

Viruzzo said:
justnotcricket said:
It's like all of these things - the anime/manga is aimed at girls with the characters and romances and all that stuff, but the people who produce it know that the long legs/boobs/incidental panty shots etc aren't exactly going to put the guys off either... ;-)
True, but I don't think any Italian male could bear the shame of being discovered owning a Sailor Moon game...
And such a thing WOULD be discovered, seeing how most of those macho italians still live with their mom ;)

(just kidding, I love you guys.
You are amongst my top 2 favorite neighbours in the EU.)

Kirch Libre

Jun 22, 2010
I guess I'm the only one who is uneasy about the revival mainly because...
There are no good games based off of anime...

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Funny this should happen on this moment in particular. Some of my colleagues in college decided to watch the entire show all over again after all this time. I probably won't, but this'll sure be nice news for them.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Tim Latshaw said:
YOU CAN'T HAVE HER!

*Draws chainsword* She's mine Latshaw...

Um I mean alright, hopefully this won't suck and it'll make it's way here to the US. :D

Really do have my fingers crossed in that this doesn't suck since Ban-Dai is making it.

caball

Jan 8, 2011
A fellow Italian said that Sailor Moon isn't that popular in Italy and that the only women who are into it are the nerdy types. I think the opposite is true - when Sailor was first out, it was consedered quite successful - i remember reading newspaper articles about it. Both my sister and my female cousin were into it, and neither are nerdy types.

A lot of older anime from the 80's and 90's have been broadcast with success at the time in Italy and enjoy a lot more name recognition here than anywhere else in the West.
Every single Italian who is under 35 knows who Kenshiro (of Fist of the North Star) is!
And when Tatsunoko vs Capcom was announced, it was funny that most Anglosphere blogs said something like "who versus Capcom?" while in Italy it was "OMG it's Yatterman and Casshern versus a bunch of videogame characters" because those older anime characters are famous and beloved over here.

So Sailor Moon fits in that pattern - it's one of those older anime that are more popular in Italy than elsewhere outside of Japan - even if compared to other earlier shows, Sailor Moon is late enough to have been at least heard of in the English-speaking world.

Oct 14, 2010
dalek sec said:
Tim Latshaw said:
YOU CAN'T HAVE HER!

*Draws chainsword* She's mine Latshaw...

Um I mean alright, hopefully this won't suck and it'll make it's way here to the US. :D

Really do have my fingers crossed in that this doesn't suck since Ban-Dai is making it.
I hereby christen this the first meeting of the Secret Society of Bipolar Mercury Admirers.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
The only thing that I keep thinking is how I'll hopefully watch and enjoy this.

Hey Toei and Funimation, how about you actually release Dragon Ball Z Kai in the UK? You have EVERYTHING you need! The English version and the TV channel! Don't hold out on us!

Calumon: Can we have Digimon Adventure and Tamers while we're at it Toei?

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
It's a very successful show in southern Europe. Portugal and Italy at least. Most people my age in portugal remember Sailor Moon. We grew up on that, DBZ and Rurouni Kenshin :D

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
RatRace123 said:
Is Sailor Moon still relevant?
Was it relevant at all to begin with? It never got as big as Dragon Ball(Z, GT, XXX, GPS, whatever...) did it?
I don't think it's still relevant on the whole, but I'd say for American anime fans aged about 18-25, it was definitely relevant when they were kids. For a lot of us, it was one of the first anime series we ever watched -- it came on right before Dragonball Z back in the days when the first season of that was airing on local tv. I think it was the WB, and while I can't be certain about that, I know it came on early in the morning, somewhere around 5 or 6 AM.

OT: This sounds interesting. I can't say I'm too interested in magical girl series these days, although if this creates enough of a surge in popularity of anime to get the medium back on American TV, that would make me happy. Bonus points if it makes magical girl anime popular enough for Magic Knight Rayearth to get a TV run over here.
It was actually my first anime. Of course at the time I didn't fully realize it was anime, I spent my mornings watching cartoons on YTV (one of very few english language channels available in Quebec at the time) and it was at one point along the line.

OT: Italy? Hmmm... how is anime doing in Europe? I mean, I know it's really caught on among the geek crowd (people who like things that nerds like but aren't as smart as nerds are) and I have to imagine the stoner crowd too (to a lesser degree) in North America, but what`s it looking like in Europe

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
John Funk said:
Relevant:

*SWOON*

I grew up with the Scouts. :3 It warms my heart to hear them making a come back, even if it's just in Italy. I still haven't seen the Stars season. :(