Samurai Jack Season 5 thread.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Marik2 said:
That Was The Most Rushed Thing Ever. He Should Have Stayed In The Past And Be An Immortal King. With All The People He Helped , Rebuild The World Together.

It Should Have Been An Hour.
You mean stayed in the future?
Pretty much that

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
MrCalavera said:
Welp this ending is going to generate more salt *looks up* And i wasn't wrong.

[/spoiler]

PS: I knew it should be a two parter.[/QUOTE]

I already spilled my salt since episode 6.[/quote]

We know. The comments proclaim it. I still liked it a lot though the filler kinda dragged the story's feet into the ground a little too much.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Marik2 said:
That Was The Most Rushed Thing Ever. He Should Have Stayed In The Past And Be An Immortal King. With All The People He Helped , Rebuild The World Together.

It Should Have Been An Hour.
You mean stayed in the future?
Yeah, my phone keeps glitching whenever I text

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Marik2 said:
WHERE IS MY IMMORTAL SAMURAI KING?
Where's my proper confrontation with Ashi's mother ALONG WITH JACK fighting her aswell?
That as well.

The season needed 15 to 20 episodes for adding ashi and getting back all the old allies together.

Oct 22, 2011
Natemans said:
yuge snip
Because of Celtic magic. Meh, I dig it.
I meant in meta way. He appeared in 5th episode, but we haven't seen him again until very finale.
Samtemdo8 said:
MrCalavera said:
Welp this ending is going to generate more salt *looks up* And i wasn't wrong.

[/spoiler]

PS: I knew it should be a two parter.[/QUOTE]

I already spilled my salt since episode 6.[/quote]
I feel like twitter gonna react to this about as cheery as to Dean Martin ending.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Marik2 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Marik2 said:
WHERE IS MY IMMORTAL SAMURAI KING?
Where's my proper confrontation with Ashi's mother ALONG WITH JACK fighting her aswell?
That as well.

The season needed 15 to 20 episodes for adding ashi and getting back all the old allies together.
And for adding the Horsemen who deserved more development and explination that this.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The whole thing got sidetracked with Ashi. I don't mind Jack falling in love and learning to like the future and find out just how much he's helped people, but do it right.

It really looked like he washed going to stay and finish off Aku with the power of friendship, but no it was a deus ex machina that got him to the past and everything went back to normal.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Mixed feelings about the final episode. The first part of it was more or less everything I want in a finale like this. Hope seems lost, everyone Jack helped comes to help him, and give it there all in a desperate gambit to give Jack the chance to end it once and for all...and he's being delayed by the second largest threat. That is how you do a climax, people.

What I was less thrilled with was the quick wrap up starting with Ashi instantly mastering Aku's powers to the point of being a match for whatever he threw at her. It completely removed the tension, and not in a good way. Then they break up the future battle to send the two of them back to the past. Yeah, it had to happen eventually, but Time Portal mid-battle just felt forced, and relegated what should have been the peak of the climax (actually finishing Aku) to simple mop-up.

Also the wedding...I'm just going to go ahead and say it. Gurren Lagann did that same scene better. Give them their kiss, then bring the waterworks. That said, I did think Samurai Jack handled the aftermath of it quite tastefully.

So, as I said, mixed feelings on the finale.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Asita said:
Mixed feelings about the final episode. The first part of it was more or less everything I want in a finale like this. Hope seems lost, everyone Jack helped comes to help him, and give it there all in a desperate gambit to give Jack the chance to end it once and for all...and he's being delayed by the second largest threat. That is how you do a climax, people.

What I was less thrilled with was the quick wrap up starting with Ashi instantly mastering Aku's powers to the point of being a match for whatever he threw at her. It completely removed the tension, and not in a good way. Then they break up the future battle to send the two of them back to the past. Yeah, it had to happen eventually, but Time Portal mid-battle just felt forced, and relegated what should have been the peak of the climax (actually finishing Aku) to simple mop-up.

Also the wedding...I'm just going to go ahead and say it. Gurren Lagann did that same scene better. Give them their kiss, then bring the waterworks. That said, I did think Samurai Jack handled the aftermath of it quite tastefully.

Actually I'm on the opposite side of the wedding scene. Gurren Laggan's death of Nia was a total ass pull. At no point was there a hint of Nia dying when the Anti-Spirals were eradicated. It was just a cheap twist to screw over Simon. Samurai Jack did both parts better. At least with Ashi, she and audience, knew that her death would be imminent. Ashi is from the future. One Aku was killed in the past, that means she goes too.

That said, I am satisfied with the final season, despite it being rushed.

One more thing for Jack (also spoilers):

You made it home, Jack. You made it home.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
CoCage said:
Asita said:

Actually I'm on the opposite side of the wedding scene. Gurren Laggan's death of Nia was a total ass pull. At no point was there a hint of Nia dying when the Anti-Spirals were eradicated. It was just a cheap twist to screw over Simon. Samurai Jack did both parts better. At least with Ashi, she and audience, knew that her death would be imminent. Ashi is from the future. One Aku was killed in the past, that means she goes too.

Jokes aside, I was referring to the structure of the scene. In the context of the scene, both hit the same major points, but Samurai Jack's variation felt inferior because of when it changed gears.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Not going to lie, I feel let down. In fact, I feel this final episode was a good summary of the season as a whole:

Awesome opening, with a great callbacks--especially to the original opening of the show--followed by some great action. I suspected that the entire world was going to come down on Aku once he revealed where Jack was, and seeing all these forces come together was amazing.
And then it started to slip about half way through with Ashi mastering her powers so quickly that Aku is no longer a threat, and then it just blitzed through the final battle, something that we've waited YEARS for, in under...what? Two minutes, tops?
And then, to top it all off, we don't even get the payoff of this whole romance, as Ashi dies/ceases to exist at the end. Starts off strong, and finishes with a rushed job that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

You mean to tell me those three all-powerful gods couldn't bend the rules, after EVERYTHING Jack has been through in his entire life? All the pain, all the death, all the suffering? And they couldn't cut him even a little bit of slack?

And what about everyone in the future? Last we saw, they were all about to be toast--some of them already were toast. I know that, with Jack's actions, none of them are going to turn out that way now, but still. Some sort of goodbye, some sort of closure, some sort of ANYTHING with the people from the future would have been nice. I mean Jack doesn't even get to say goodbye to any of them, or thank them for what they did.
And on a personal note, I wanted to know if the girl who got knocked off the bird was okay. It seemed to go out of its way to focus on her.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
This episode would definitely have benefited from having another 20 minutes.
Still a pretty good ending mind, i've seen plenty of shows with god awful endings, Lost anyone?

I agree with Sniper Team 4, part of the issue is that Aku isn't particularly intimidating, he's almost monster of the week level.

Love the ending though when he was back home, very beautiful imagery and in this case the briskness worked it's in favor rather than drawing out a drama scene for milkage.

Overall, could have been better, could have been 100X worse. Too short.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
MrBoBo said:
This episode would definitely have benefited from having another 20 minutes.
Still a pretty good ending mind, i've seen plenty of shows with god awful endings, Lost anyone?
I did a watch of all of Lost's seasons over the past year. I loved the ending. :(

Still, if we're playing the game of awful endings in TV (excluding unresolved cliffhangers/canceled series), I'll take your Lost and raise you a Merlin.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It did feel rushed, but that might also be because the start was so slow and methodical. It spends the first, what is it, 4 episodes on the confrontation between Jack and the daughters of Aku (which was fucking brilliant). That's nearly half the season. Part of me thinks it might've been better if they'd focused on just that; the cult of Aku. Kept with the more intimate tone and ignored the other characters from the previous seasons. Maybe have some of them show up at the very, very end.

I still think the ending was nice despite how brisk it was, but you can tell Genndy wanted to do way more than the allotted time allowed him. On the one hand he wanted to do this hard-edged, fight-to-the-death type story, and on the other he wanted to bring this entire world to a close. And we end up with the latter being somewhat crammed in.

I did really like how they gave a nice nod to Makoto Iwamatsu with his intro monologue and re-using the clip where Aku sends Jack into the future (that is Aku).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
It did feel rushed, but that might also be because the start was so slow and methodical. It spends the first, what is it, 4 episodes on the confrontation between Jack and the daughters of Aku (which was fucking brilliant). That's nearly half the season. Part of me thinks it might've been better if they'd focused on just that; the cult of Aku. Kept with the more intimate tone and ignored the other characters from the previous seasons. Maybe have some of them show up at the very, very end.

I still think the ending was nice despite how brisk it was, but you can tell Genndy wanted to do way more than the allotted time allowed him. On the one hand he wanted to do this hard-edged, fight-to-the-death type story, and on the other he wanted to bring this entire world to a close. And we end up with the latter being somewhat crammed in.

I did really like how they gave a nice nod to Makoto Iwamatsu with his intro monologue and re-using the clip where Aku sends Jack into the future (that is Aku).
I have been told he wanted to do 10 episodes, he asked for 10 episodes.

But I only heard this from comments on youtube and know your meme.

But if its true, Genndy you asked for 10 episodes, but you got a bit too ambitious with the premises you introduced.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
How I would have done Samurai Jack Season 5 with the plots and charcaters they presented:

1. No Scaramouche or pointless filler. Get rid of the Giant Worm, the Demon Children, some of the more pointless callbacks like Demongo and DA SAMOORAI, and the whole Alien Spaceship Prison thing.

2. Keep the Ashi and Jack relationship, but include Jack actually training Ashi in his ways of being a Samurai, whether I also want them to be a romantic couple or a father/daughter relationship is another matter entirely.

3. Have a better explination and resolution to the Horsemen that stalks Jack because it was such a let down and how not special it was, I mean even in the episode its still not well explianed as to who that was? I mean Jack lost his sword than 50 years past with no explination as to what happen during those 50 years that had him being stalked by this horsemen.

4. Have a better explination as to who and what is this Cult of Aku and Ashi's mother becuase again they had something that could have been developed because I have never seen an Aku follower THIS loyal and its implied they were worshiping him before Aku met them, and have the confrontation against Ashi's mother be a whole episode to itself with Jack facing her aswell and an explination as to who Ashi's mother really is because I had that impression that she had a personal vendetta against Jack.

5. Make the Jack lost his Sword event better, I mean seriously the Sword just slid WAY too far to a hole like it was meant to fall. And also make Jack getting back his sword better and this is saying somethign because I kinda liked that part.

6. Now the hard part, the actual finale because imo this series was way too open ended it could have ended in anyway, it could have ended with Jack staying in the future and defeat Aku there, it could have ended with Jack dies, but than Ashi does the finishing blow against Aku, it could have ended with him finally returning back to the past whether it be the ultimate happy ending or the most bittersweet ending. But than regardless, I am sad this was not the ending:

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

I think if you binge watch this on the blue-ray rather than week to week, it will work better as basically one long movie.