Samurai Jack Season 5 thread.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
The horsemen that stalked Jack the whole time and when we finally reached the climax of it, it was rather rushed and short. We have no idea who these Warrior spirits are and why they torment Jack for a failure we don't know as of yet.
Same thing from Episode 1: "You've forgotten your purpose! You've forsaken us!" I think Phil LaMarr gave us some insight into how we should look at this:

[Jack] changed a lot in some ways and not enough in others. He has not aged the way he would've expected to over those 50 years. And really, the story in a lot of ways is about ? you've got a hero, you've got a hero's journey ? but what happens when the hero gets sidelined on his journey and gets stuck? If you haven't accomplished your goal in 50 years, are you still a hero? Who are you? A lot of it is an explanation of that."
The failure is that after 50 years Jack's quest is still incomplete. The suffering continues. Aku's grasp chokes the past, present, and future. Hope is lost. The rider is practically a manifestation of Jack's despair and his feelings of inadequacy in the face of his inability to vanquish Aku.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Asita said:
Samtemdo8 said:
The horsemen that stalked Jack the whole time and when we finally reached the climax of it, it was rather rushed and short. We have no idea who these Warrior spirits are and why they torment Jack for a failure we don't know as of yet.
Same thing from Episode 1: "You've forgotten your purpose! You've forsaken us!" I think Phil LaMarr gave us some insight into how we should look at this:

[Jack] changed a lot in some ways and not enough in others. He has not aged the way he would've expected to over those 50 years. And really, the story in a lot of ways is about ? you've got a hero, you've got a hero's journey ? but what happens when the hero gets sidelined on his journey and gets stuck? If you haven't accomplished your goal in 50 years, are you still a hero? Who are you? A lot of it is an explanation of that."
The failure is that after 50 years Jack's quest is still incomplete. The suffering continues. Aku's grasp chokes the past, present, and future. Hope is lost. The rider is practically a manifestation of Jack's despair and his feelings of inadequacy in the face of his inability to vanquish Aku.
Regardless another thing I am now convinced is Jack and Ashi are gonna do it with each other, I be surprised if they don't even kiss romantically in the lips.

Heck the amount of stuff this episode got away with I be more surprised if they don't show Sex.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Really dug the last episode. The cameos from the Woolies, the three archers, and the rave was nice. I was kind of hoping Da Samurai would have followed through on his promise to become a true samurai so that he would join the inevitable final battle, though his scene was still funny. I also heard a rumor that, if true, would be a really nice detail.

The woman who points Ashi to where Jack is after she leaves Da Samurai's bar may be the baby Jack rescued in the last episode of Season 4, now all grown up

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
For the most part I liked the episode. My one complaint is the "running down the mountain" bit. I accept feats of strength to a degree (cleaving metal, Jumping Good, the stone throw, and even tearing apart robots) but picking up someone and then using them to bulldoze through...I don't know, a hundred or so people with seemingly greater ease than a 18-wheeler? That feels...well a bit too brutish. Most every other feat performed by the protagonists has tended to leverage their greater skill, but that was pure 'hulk smash' raw power that feels out of place for the franchise.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Alright I can't deny it any longer.

This season is disapointing and not because of what is actually there, but the big problem is what I was fearing from when they announced this season.

IT IS RUSHED!!!

The pacing is too fast, all the events and resolutions happened too quickly and un-eventfully and its entirely because its only 10 episodes with 30 minute run time each.

For example when Jack stopped himself from commiting Suicide and defeated that ghostly horsemen. That Horsemen was grossly underdeveloped. We have no idea who that is and why? Where did Jack began to be stalked by this being?

And for this episode and I hope it isn't the end, but Ashi is met by her mother again and they fight, but sadly she is killed off. And Jack does not even know she exists. Because of that we will never know who she is and why she worships Aku and why she wants Jack dead, it feels like she has a personal stake at this.

I mean instead of wasting our time with unnecessary things like the insides of a Giant Worm, the children corrupted, some of the call backs (The Rave, And the Samoorai were not cool callbacks) and fucking SCARAMOUCHE!!! They could have added something that furthered the storyline of these interesting plotlines.

And again another problem is that the fastforwarded 50 years, who knows what else has happened between the seasons.

But still this season is grossly rushed to tell finale of Jack and the arcs and charcaters you introduced deserves at least 20 episodes and thats a conservitive esitimate. I think it should have 20 episodes each an hour long or 30 episodes.

I am sorry but this is disapointing. I mean the final episode is Jack facing off Aku, and its gonna be done in 30 minutes. And Jack has been shown in the past to easily outmatch Aku in every time they combat so where is the tension? Which is why I found Aku to be an unintimidating, failure of a villain played now for laughs as the series progressed.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I mean how I would have done this season justice with the material of what they presented:

Make the Ashi and Jack relationship more gradual.

Have the Horsemen be more subtle and mysterious. I mean people in the interent were making more interesting speculations than the resolution that did happen. I mean did the guy had too look beefy when he got off his horse?

Have the final confrontation with Ashi's mother be a whole episode with no filler scenes and take place in the place where Ashi was born and trained and mention a back story to who Ashi's mother is.

Cut Scaramouche entirely, he is to me what Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars fans, and cut out these unnecessary plot lines like the Giant Worm.

And if the callbacks are needed there are much more interesting charcaters you can callback to than the Black Samoorai and the Rave.

Like the Spartans, the little girl from the Haunted House, the Lava Monster, the Monkeys and the caveman the Jumps good, The Mountain Monks, and the Shaolin Monks.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
I thought it was pretty good. The only issue for me was that the mother randomly showed up.
Besides that, typically good action scenes with character development.

The sword thing was like King Arthur where you need to be worthy, which ties into the original show when his father was gifted the sword and his character at the start of season 5 with his inner demon.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MrBoBo said:
I thought it was pretty good. The only issue for me was that the mother randomly showed up.

The sword thing was like King Arthur where you need to be worthy, which ties into the original show when his father was gifted the sword and his character at the start of season 5 with his inner demon.
That was the worse part, I thought she and Jack and Ashi was gonna have a confrontation with her back in her Lair, I mean Jack deserves to face her to considering she is that dead set on trying to kill Jack.

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
MrBoBo said:

That was the worse part, I thought she and Jack and Ashi was gonna have a confrontation with her back in her Lair, I mean Jack deserves to face her to considering she is that dead set on trying to kill Jack.
She was never Jack's demon to face, though. She might have fancied herself Jack's archnemesis, but it was Ashi she hurt, Ashi she lied to, and Ashi she pushed down the path of hatred. Jack's only investment in her is self-preservation, no different than the countless bounty hunters sent his way. Ashi's is redemption and the final rejection of her mother's teachings. She was Ashi's battle to win, not Jack's.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Asita said:
Samtemdo8 said:
MrBoBo said:

She was never Jack's demon to face, though. She might have fancied herself Jack's archnemesis, but it was Ashi she hurt, Ashi she lied to, Ashi she pushed down the path of hatred. Jack's only investment in her is self-preservation, no different than the countless bounty hunters sent his way. Ashi's is redemption and the final rejection of her mother's teachings. She was Ashi's battle to win, not Jack's.
Even I understand that, I was hoping for both him AND Ashi to take her on. And at least an explination as to who she is, because again I feel she has a personal stake for killing Jack. I mean she could have easily went to kill Jack herself considering she is clearly skilled in Combat.

Oct 22, 2011
I agree that this plot starts feeling rushed and squeezed into too small 10 episode frame. However:
Samtemdo8 said:
And if the callbacks are needed there are much more interesting charcaters you can callback to than the Black Samoorai and the Rave.

Like the Spartans, the little girl from the Haunted House, the Lava Monster, the Monkeys and the caveman the Jumps good, The Mountain Monks, and the Shaolin Monks.
That's subjective. I'd just resign from dedicating so much time for fanservice altogether, present Ashi's journey in a quick montage maybe. And how would you imagine Lava Monster coming back? He's in Valhalla.
Samtemdo8 said:
Because of that we will never know who she is and why she worships Aku and why she wants Jack dead
She worships Aku, because she's a member(guru? founder?) of a cult that threats Aku as a deity - understandable how a 1000 year old, immortal demon could be perceived as such. And she wants Jack dead, because she worships Aku.

Samtemdo8 said:
MrBoBo said:
EVERYONE affiliated to Aku tries to kill Jack. Why would he care about one crazy broad that he didn't even met before, at this point? Jack deserves to face and kill Aku. Ashi deserved to face the woman that abused her and lied to her for so long. And she got that... though, the death of the Mother wasn't really confirmed by that scene, so you might get your wish.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MrCalavera said:
I agree that this plot starts feeling rushed and squeezed into too small 10 episode frame. However:
Samtemdo8 said:

That's subjective. I'd just resign from dedicating so much time for fanservice altogether, present Ashi's journey in a quick montage maybe. And how would you imagine Lava Monster coming back? He's in Valhalla.
Samtemdo8 said:
Because of that we will never know who she is and why she worships Aku and why she wants Jack dead
She worships Aku, because she's a member(guru? founder?) of a cult that threats Aku as a deity - understandable how a 1000 year old, immortal demon could be perceived as such. And she wants Jack dead, because she worships Aku.

Samtemdo8 said:
MrBoBo said:
EVERYONE affiliated to Aku tries to kill Jack. Why would he care about one crazy broad that he didn't even met before, at this point? Jack deserves to face and kill Aku. Ashi deserved to face the woman that abused her and lied to her for so long. And she got that... though, the death of the Mother wasn't really confirmed by that scene, so you might get your wish.
1. She could have seen the tablet of the Lava monster's story, and the little extra note that Jack himself added.

2. Most people who works with Aku to kill Jack just do it for the Money. This Preistess is a whole different story. I mean its easy to say that Aku is now worshiped because he's been around for 1000 years, but still we never seen people that loyal to Aku before in the past seasons. And perhaps it mabye answered in episode 9 considering the Synopsis.

3. Lastly I just hope she's not dead, and the fact that she died off screen is a hint, and you have to consider the fact that charcaters in this season alone survived from thier near death experiance just as easily, The Wolf for example, and Jack stabbed and possible death from Bloodloss.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
[/quote] EVERYONE affiliated to Aku tries to kill Jack. Why would he care about one crazy broad that he didn't even met before, at this point? Jack deserves to face and kill Aku. Ashi deserved to face the woman that abused her and lied to her for so long. And she got that... though, the death of the Mother wasn't really confirmed by that scene, so you might get your wish.[/quote]

Because she's been relevant to story arc and the orcs haven't?

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
MrBoBo said:

Not sure I'd agree with that, I mean she did throw a kid into hot coal and turned her into cartoons ISIS.

The confrontation was half baked though imo, too brief, too easy. Like the crap end-boss from a video game.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I've always been on board with the Ashi/Jack ship, but with only two episodes left, I do question the need to spend an entire episode on it. They're adorable together, but it felt even more rushed than her redemption. Then again, part of the problem can be tacked down to the amount of time that has passed during and in between episodes - it's hard to properly convey.

As great as this revival has been, I do worry that it won't be able to end things satisfactorily.