Samurai Jack Season 5 thread.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
MrBoBo said:
The salt only made this better.

Ah jeez, even here? Within 5 years these people will be protesting outside maternity wards for babies born using sperm + egg reproduction, because its just too hetero-normative. Where are all the babies born using just eggs?! Why do we shoehorn men into everything?!
I am amazed these Tumblrinas even cared for Samurai Jack at all.
Right?! Maybe their upset their fanarts and fics about Ashi being a lesbian are now not-canon?
The problem is who can Ashi possibly be lesbians with considering that among other women well.....she's not was not treated well by other women:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
MrBoBo said:

Ah jeez, even here? Within 5 years these people will be protesting outside maternity wards for babies born using sperm + egg reproduction, because its just too hetero-normative. Where are all the babies born using just eggs?! Why do we shoehorn men into everything?!
honestly, considering the amount of complaining you do about media on this site, are you really the one to start questioning if people care about stuff?

people in glass houses and all
So my opinion is invalid because I am guilty of it aswell?

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
I was a little disappointed they went for the romantic angle... but it won't kill me. (And people actually complained? Geez, priorities much?) Overall, I wasn't really feeling this episode, hopefully the next one will be better.
The Salt is real man:

Thus far the final season of Samurai Jack has been completely and utterly amazing. Great storylines, great characters, great call backs, great action and a get blend of its new darker tone and its old lighter tone. Every single episode has been better then the last and every week I've been anxious to see how they top themselves... and then the new episode reared its ugly head... I'm gonna be frank here that wasn't just the worst episode of the season, that was easily the worst episode of Samurai Jack ever. Let's start with the obvious reason: it is now confirmed that Jack and Ashi are lovers and when that became clear I knew I was in for a praticularly bad episode. My problem is that Jack doesn't need a love interest, he never did. It's clear that this is going to be a rushed, boring romantic sub plot that exists only because "Duuur she's a woman and he's a man so they must get together, duuuuur!" Yeah heaven forbid two people of the opposite sex don't simply end up as friends. It was always clear that a master/student or even father/daughter relationship would have worked fine, hell the latter would have been perfect since, you know, Ashi had a terrible mother so a positive parental figure is something she truly needs. Not to mention Jack is 75 and Ashi can't be older then 18 so yeah... that's kinda icky. You know I probably wouldn't mind this heteronormative bullshit if there was another season that followed or even if this was a 13 episode season. At least then there would have been time to develop this nonsense. But no, there are only two episodes left before Samurai Jack is gone forever and they waste what precious little time they have left on an episode that not only was pointless and had no purpose but to rapidly develop a relationship no one wanted or asked for in the first place! Oh, also Ashi, who was always smart and capable who decimated an entire fucking army in the last episode with her own two hands, was reduced to an incompetent idiot in this episode... OH! And a sex object because that's what we fucking want! A strong female character being stark naked, fucking classy! God I hated this fucking episode!
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/251/788/9e5.png

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/251/782/d48.jpg

Me my only beef is that again, it was rather rushed, but that's because I find this whole season past episode 4 to be extremely rushed.
I think it's hilarious they are complaining about Ashi, when for almost every episode Jack has had his armor removed running around almost naked. Sure, story-wise, she is "literally" naked, but presentation wise our man Jack has been showing more skin than than either her or the Scotmans daughters. Some Yale dingdong wrote an entire article about it.

Hell, even when Jack see's her naked, like a kid or someone not particularly experienced with women, he's embarrassed, not lusting. The only time he seems to look at her in a intimate manner is when they are at the water hole enjoying themselves.

Internet man, nonsense.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
MrBoBo said:

honestly, considering the amount of complaining you do about media on this site, are you really the one to start questioning if people care about stuff?

if you think those opinions are invalid then yeah

I mean you want to burn Groot to death cause hes too cute for you
Baby Groot, and no it is not cute, its ugly.

This is cute:

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
MrBoBo said:

if you think those opinions are invalid then yeah

I mean you want to burn Groot to death cause hes too cute for you
Baby Groot, and no it is not cute, its ugly.

This is cute:

Nah, Baby Groot and Oshawott are both cute.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Gonna be honest: I laughed out loud at the end. Seriously the transition mixed with the music choice just made me burst out loud and laugh. Lol

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kolby Jack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
MrBoBo said:

After being drowned in implied lesbian romance in Adventure Time, Legend of Korra, and Steven Universe.....this was inevitable :p
Maybe it's because I don't go to tumblr ever, but why...? Why is this reaction a thing that exists? "How dare this show remind me that heterosexual relationships exist!" I mean what were they hoping for? Jack and the Scotsman hooking up? The Scotsman is married. And dead now. Ashi and... anyone? Literally the only person she knows is Jack. I just cannot see how these people could have seen a non-hetero relationship being possible here.
It was just one of the reactions in that picture. The reasons for people having an issue with this range from everything from being creeped out by the age gab (Jack is in his 70s-80s by this point) to thinking it's cliche, to just kinda bleh, Tumblr is being stereotyped again.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
erttheking said:
The reasons for people having an issue with this range from everything from being creeped out by the age gab (Jack is in his 70s-80s by this point) to thinking it's cliche, to just kinda bleh, Tumblr is being stereotyped again.
Physically he is about 30-40, possibly not even 30. And (if you really, really want to take a cartoon so seriously), probably a virgin with little experience with women. His reaction to her naked was borderline teenager level showing a repressed culture.

Not really getting the arguments how this was rushed. From episode 2 to 8, it went from her almost killing him, to be being captured, starting to see he wasn't what she was led to believe, being converted, saving him, protecting him as he rediscovered himself e.t.c.. Both characters went through an arc of character developments intertwined and this seems like a logical culmination. He didn't just pull it out his ass.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
erttheking said:
Kolby Jack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
MrBoBo said:

After being drowned in implied lesbian romance in Adventure Time, Legend of Korra, and Steven Universe.....this was inevitable :p
Maybe it's because I don't go to tumblr ever, but why...? Why is this reaction a thing that exists? "How dare this show remind me that heterosexual relationships exist!" I mean what were they hoping for? Jack and the Scotsman hooking up? The Scotsman is married. And dead now. Ashi and... anyone? Literally the only person she knows is Jack. I just cannot see how these people could have seen a non-hetero relationship being possible here.
It was just one of the reactions in that picture. The reasons for people having an issue with this range from everything from being creeped out by the age gab (Jack is in his 70s-80s by this point) to thinking it's cliche, to just kinda bleh, Tumblr is being stereotyped again.
Actually it was two. Did those comments need to be the whole of the picture for me to be baffled by them? It's a crazy reaction to have, whether it's 2 people or 10. And I don't really care about stereotyping a website. It doesn't have feelings. 4chan is a wretched hive of scum and villainy and facebook is nothing but fake news and outdated memes. Who cares?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
MrBoBo said:
erttheking said:
The reasons for people having an issue with this range from everything from being creeped out by the age gab (Jack is in his 70s-80s by this point) to thinking it's cliche, to just kinda bleh, Tumblr is being stereotyped again.
Physically he is about 30-40, possibly not even 30. And (if you really, really want to take a cartoon so seriously), probably a virgin with little experience with women. His reaction to her naked was borderline teenager level showing a repressed culture.

Not really getting the arguments how this was rushed. From episode 2 to 8, it went from her almost killing him, to be being captured, starting to see he wasn't what she was led to believe, being converted, saving him, protecting him as he rediscovered himself e.t.c.. Both characters went through an arc of character developments intertwined and this seems like a logical culmination. He didn't just pull it out his ass.
It has nothing to do with his physical appearance. There was a Green Lantern comic that dealt with an underage girl trying to be with the main character by transforming her body into that of a full grown woman. The problem with that is that, emotionally, she's still underage. There's a massive gap between the two in that regard, doubly so in that, in a lot of ways, Ashi is very emotionally stunted due to her emotionally suppressed upbringing. You can't just shake that off, and Jack's lack of having sex has very little impact on it.

Never said anything about it being rushed. I said that it was considered to be cliche and bleh.

I don't mind it, but the people who have issues with it aren't complaining about nothing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kolby Jack said:
erttheking said:
Kolby Jack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
MrBoBo said:

Actually it was two. Did those comments need to be the whole of the picture for me to be baffled by them? It's a crazy reaction to have, whether it's 2 people or 10. And I don't really care about stereotyping a website. It doesn't have feelings. 4chan is a wretched hive of scum and villainy and facebook is nothing but fake news and outdated memes. Who cares?
Huh. My bad.

I usually don't mind, it's just that Tumblr in general tends to be treated as a punching bag in generally for...fuck, you name it, Tumblr has probably been blamed for it in one point. I just tend to not like stereotyping. Hell, I dislike it when people take shots at the Sonic fanbase, that's the kind of person I am.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
erttheking said:
It has nothing to do with his physical appearance. There was a Green Lantern comic that dealt with an underage girl trying to be with the main character by transforming her body into that of a full grown woman. The problem with that is that, emotionally, she's still underage. There's a massive gap between the two in that regard, doubly so in that, in a lot of ways, Ashi is very emotionally stunted due to her emotionally suppressed upbringing. You can't just shake that off, and Jack's lack of having sex has very little impact on it.
Eh, I can empathize with the emotional stunted part to a point, but the age gap thing kinda rings hollow with the whole slow/no aging thing. Comparative age works in real life because of a combination of physical aging, mental development, potential for mental issues (senility and dementia, for instance), and societal expectation (most notably schooling, working, and retiring) among other things. Simply put, someone who's 20 and someone who's 82 are generally not going to be considered peers.

That largely goes out the window in the case of the extraordinarily long lived and immortal in fiction. That Jack and Aragorn (Lord of the Rings) would be geriatrics by real world standards doesn't change the fact that their age is a purely informed trait. For all intents and purposes they're 30-something, and simply have been 30-something for a very long time...which you wouldn't even know at a glance. Despite the nominal age gap, Ashi and Eowen are still more their peers than "da samurai" and Denethor are. Like Ashi and Eowen, Jack and Aragorn are still in the early to mid portions of their lives and are practically indistinguishable in action and appearance from ordinary 30-something year olds, if a good bit more worldly than average.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
MrBoBo said:
Loved it.

edit - promo for next episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_LZnx1-tB8&feature=youtu.be

Think he will be fighting a blue guy?
Fight? No. Find him, yes. But as Aku said, all the portals are gone, and the only thing that can harm Aku is Jack's sword. So if Aku went after that portal too, the Blue Guy may have put a fantastic fight, but he lost.

I'm betting that shocked/horrified look we see on Jack's face is either him finding the body of the Blue Guy, or maybe the body of magic bird that brought Jack there the first time. It's probably the second one, as I can't imagine they're just going to rub the Blue Guy out by having him dead like that. I'm sure Jack's going to have questions for him.
Kind of wondering where Ashi is though, considering how the last episode ended...

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
erttheking said:
The problem with that is that, emotionally, she's still underage.
I don't mind it, but the people who have issues with it aren't complaining about nothing.
But if you listen to the scene where she is naked, Jack is emotionally juvenile himself. So, I'm still not getting this argument. Both physically and mentality, he is comparable to young person. The dialogue itself indicates he's probably never had intimate relations with a women before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4EIFQTNQ8

Not getting how it's cliche' either, they basically have symbolic sex through fighting.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
MrBoBo said:
erttheking said:
Because for the last three episodes we went from mild compliments to them bumping each other and blushing I don't know to me thats a pretty big leap between episodes

Oct 22, 2011
erttheking said:
I think they are, in this case. At the end of the day, both Jack and Ashi are functioning adults. Biologically and mentally.
Maybe because i wasn't exposed to tumblr back then, but i didn't hear age gap complaints about, for example, Katara(Who's like what, 14?) ending up with that old, 100 y.o. fart, Aang.
On a side note: I don't like this argument because it can also be spun around to justify that old trope in manga/anime, that it's totally okay to sexualize characters looking like they're not even teenagers, because "oh it's ok, she's in fact 1000 years old!".

Samtemdo8 said:
The problem is who can Ashi possibly be lesbians with considering that among other women well.....she's not was not treated well by other women
I don't think that's how being a lesbian works, mate.