Scariest sounds in games

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
this has always gotten me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lva8L-J8x04&feature=related

rosemystica

Jan 24, 2010
The screaming of the headcrab zombies in the Half-Life games.

When it's played backward, it's even worse--you can hear them screaming for help and begging for the pain to stop.

bruunwald

Feb 26, 2010
Seriphina said:
The fucking radio sound in silent hill!!! Why has noone mentioned this?!?!
Or any other of the random sounds of crying, lockers slamming, things falling in the walls, etc.

Silent Hill's fame is largely due to the amazing music and terrifying sound effects, to which no other game series anybody here can mention can ever hold a candle. But it's just not on the radar of these fanbois.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Seriphina said:
The fucking radio sound in silent hill!!! Why has noone mentioned this?!?!
I might just add about every frikken sound in the games soundtrack.
Really there's no better way to ruin the silent hill experience than to mute the sound.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
The sound of the Balrog being summoned in Lord of the Rings : Battle for Middle Earth

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Mine would have to be the noises in the Mansion of Madness in Timesplitters Future Perfect. Having a door lock itself in front of you, then hearing a perfectly time child's giggle and some deep whispers is very disconcerting.

It's also where the goddamn L4D witch cry came from.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Every RTS feeling hates this sound...

"Warning: Nuclear Launch Detected"

Oh... balls...
Even worse than that is multiples.
"Nucl-N-Nuclear Launch De-Nuclear Launch Detected"
._.
The Madman said:

I always found the midwives much more frightening however.

What the fuck ._.
This sounds absolutely horrifying...

Vidi Kitty said:
Peter Brazier said:
L4D

the witch crying
need I explain
Stromtrooper said:
Hey, come on now! The witch's cry in Left 4 Dead. That sound always got to me.
Yes, this is definitely going on the list. Don't know why I didn't think of it, especially after playing expert a few times.
That sound was always the worst when you play with really good headphones, and you can hear it from 4 rooms away. You freeze up and say to yourself "fuck... I'm going to have to deal with that... ugh..."

OP: I'm going to add the zombies from Conkers Bad Fur day, because when I first played it when I was 11, I was walking up that path to the vampire/zombie level, and you just hear 'brains... MUUUUUUUDDD' in a super high-pitched shrill voice that sounds like the Smoker.
Also to a lesser extent: the moan of the ReDead from OoT. That sound used to frighten the hell out of me... then I discovered the Sun Song :D

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Pretty much every noise from Amnesia. EVERY THING IS TRYING TO KILL YOU.

Another game that really takes the cake is System Shock 2. The annelids always creeped the shit out of me. I could never explain it.

Spooks Inc

Jun 8, 2010
How has nobody said Barons of Hell from the first Doom? Whenever you heard that you knew you were going to die.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
meglathon said:
"welcome to the Twisted Treeline"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
the horror the horror....
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*You have been slain.*
*Your ally has been slain*
*Your ally has been slain*
ACE

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
Anyone remember the GET OUT voice from donkey kong 64? That always freeked me out when I was a kid.
Today it's any moster in minecraft. Thank notch for peaceful mode.

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
I'm not really sure why, but the music when you enter one of ratmans dens in the original portal really unsettles me.

Krong

Oct 11, 2009
These spazzes from VTMB. I hate the sound they make when they lunge at you.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
At least a handful of noises in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

The one that first comes to mind is the phone ringing, answering it, hearing your dead grandfather say, "Remember me Alex?" in a raspy voice, then the line goes dead...

*shudders as he re-lives that memory*

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
Those fuckers with swords for limbs in The Suffering. You always hear their arms scraping across the walls and floor before you actually see them, which admittedly isn't that great a strategy when the guy you're stalking has guns, but it's still freaky as shit.