Scariest sounds in games

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Feral Ghouls in Fallout 3/New Vegas. They howl and skitter.

And of course, "Jesus loves me this I know. For the Bible tells me so. Little ones to him belong, for they are weak but he is strong." from Bioshock. Yeesh, makes my skin crawl. Really, most of the splicer dialogue is really creepy. The game has great atmosphere.

"First day, they come and catch everyone.
Second day, they beat us and eat some for meat.
Third day, the men are all gnawed on again.
Fourth day, we wait and fear for our fate.
Fifth day, they return and it's another girl's turn.
Sixth day, her screams we hear in our dreams.
Seventh day, she grew as in her mouth they spew.
Eighth day, we hate it as she is violated.
Ninth day, she grins and devours her kin.
Now she does feast, as she's become the beast."

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
The 'CHINGGGGGG!' noise from Zero.

That, and every time Kirie appears you can hear the ropes around her neck and limbs ... creaking as they tighten ....

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I love all silent hill soundtracks and sound effects but there's one sound that tops all of them. The baby cry in nightmares in Max Payne when you go the wrong way. It sounds like someone is tourturing him.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
The lock on noise of a sentry in TF2 when I'm almost dead...
And the sound of a rogue or druid in cat form stealthing in WoW, it means one is close by and I'm very squishy...

Also the chainsaw from Resident Evil 4...

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
The ambient, background sounds in Ravenholm still make me scared. Damn you, game, and your ability to get the atmosphere you're trying to create perfect every time. I couldn't sleep the first time I completed that level, mostly due to those noises in the background haunting me. You just know you've gone and done it, woken up the hornet's nest. They're coming for you.

Possibly even more scary, though, was the sound Fast Zombies make. That horrible, wailing howl.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
The most scary noise I've ever heard was the restless spirit moaning when they nearly hit you in FEAR 2.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl1rHU57j7s&feature=related[/youtube]

And the sound of footsteps in Amnesia.

Hartmansgrad

Oct 13, 2009
Listening to the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack still causes me to have panic attacks to this day. For the longest time I couldn't listen to the track 'Ashes and Ghosts' without having heart palpitations and a cold sweat. Nothing has come close to replicating that terror in my guts, though the creeping red light in silent hill 3 came close.

I have to agree with silence though...those tense moments where nothing happens are almost scarier than the jump out scares...

GaiusD

Oct 10, 2010
I gotta say the first thing that pops into my mind is the demented laughter from the midgets in Borderlands

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Vidi Kitty said:
So after playing some of the new AVP, I was quickly reminded of how frightening that little pinging of the motion tracker could be. So I started thinking about other in game sounds that make me jump and/or scream like a little girl. So far I've got:

AVP motion tracker ping
half-life 2 black headcrab screech
the utmost dreaded creeper hissssss from minecraft

Nothing else is coming to mind but I know there are more out there.

What other sounds should go into this list and why?
I would immediately think of two: the enemy sounds from "System Shock 2" - yes, ALL of them, but in particular the suicidal zombies at the beginning (there is nothing that makes your heart stop momentarily as effectively as someone screaming "KILL MEEEEE!!!" from about two feet behind you) and the spiders later on.

I'd also pick the monster's roar from "Amnesia: The Dark Descent." Yes, its threat is considerably lessened when you learn that pretty much every single monster encounter in the game can be beaten by hiding in a cupboard until the music switches back; the fact that the monster kinda looks like something drawn by a Disney illustrator when he was really, really drunk also doesn't help. (Seriously, the slack-jawed, pot-bellied little dude actually looks kinda cute up close, at least when he's not trying to rip your face apart.) But the sound is pretty damn creepy.

(Incidentally, yes, I know both of these choices have probably already been said. I'm unoriginal.)

Someone also mentioned the Sonic "drowning" theme. Good choice. I HATE water levels.

PaulaG

Jun 16, 2009
The zombie dolphins in Plants vs. Zombies....I don't know why, but it gives me the creeps every time I hear it!

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
arc1991 said:
The Madman said:
Vidi Kitty said:
Kathinka said:
"your ssssssong is not ours!"

honorable mention, more awesome than scary:

"OSWALD COMPROMIIIIIIIISED!"
What are these from?
If I'm not mistaken System Shock 2.

I always found the midwives much more frightening however.

I am so glad i have not played that game... O.O

That is creepy as hell! Who are the "Little ones" by the way? o_O

OT: The ticking of the ticker creeps me out a lil in Gears, and the Wreches scream is enough to make me jump when i'm not aware.

Also a Creepers hiss is enough to make me panic...
The "Little Ones" are large parasitical worms growing inside egg sacs (can also be a swarm of aggressive mosquito like creatures). They are what turned the hybrid (first video) into that identity confused monstrosity. The midwives were originally normal women who were killed and then converted into cyborgs who are programmed to protect "The Many's" young. There is only one Model for midwives in game, based on the first victim, but I believe each one you face is actually a different woman.

Scariest sound in a game for me? System shock would definitely be there but it's already taken, same with Amnesia and Penumbra is a given. STALKER has quite a few creepy moments and sound wise I'd give Bloodsuckers accolades for pant shitting functionality. Not so much for the sound itself, but because between that and the shimmer of light and glowing white eyes it creates, it's the only thing that signals you to an imminent ass rape. It's worse at night.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlqxFKL0l58&feature=player_detailpage#t=176s[/link]

In the Total conversion mod "Oblivion Lost" for STALKER, there are human like things with with warped proportions called Izloms... a video will tell you more:

They are pretty dangerous early on in the mod, but it's the sounds they make that creeps me out, probably compounded by the fact they didn't add footstep sounds to the creatures movement.

Llamaboy01

Aug 3, 2010
My ammunition is gone. The lights have blown, the darkness a deep horror enveloping me as i huddle, scared and helpless.

"Oh! There you are sir!"

I then crap myself :/

The droids from System Shock 2 All the way.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
The Divider in the Dead Space games. Masterful piece of sound design. And you often hear it long before you see it (shudder).

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
"First day, they come and catch everyone.
Second day, they beat us and eat some for meat.
Third day, the men are all gnawed on again.
Fourth day, we wait and fear for our fate.
Fifth day, they return and it's another girl's turn.
Sixth day, her screams we hear in our dreams.
Seventh day, she grew as in her mouth they spew.
Eighth day, we hate it as she is violated.
Ninth day, she grins and devours her kin.
Now she does feast, as she's become the beast."

Now you lay and wait, for their screams will haunt you in your dreams.

That and that bloody radio in Silent Hill.
Both of these as well as The Witch's cry fro L4D. I (personally) believe the scariest sound is silence, not quiet, total and complete silence with nothing around but the echoes of your footsteps off the walls to keep you company.

estoria-etnia

Aug 22, 2009
Dead silence.
Small children giggling/talking.
Footsteps.
Sounds ghosts make in the Fatal Frame series.
Silent Hill soundtracks.