Scary Games You Didnt Think Would Be Scary.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
mr_hi said:
sliverwings1123 said:
Superman 64
%100 agree with that
Not that I don't agree (oh god how I agree), I think he mentioned a game that was INTENTIONALLY made scary.

Though going by this line of reasoning, I would have to say the original Sonic games.

When you hear that drowning music, waiting over a bubble giver thing, you will make your pants wet.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
The onoly game that ever came close to scaring me was Eternal Darkness and that was pretty much because I avoided spoilers and didn't know about certain elements. (If you haven't played it, get a Gamecube and play it immediately. It will either make you forgive them for Too Human or say "What the fuck happened to them?")

Puregrrr

Nov 21, 2009
When I was young, I can remember being very freaked out by Myst. There was something about being completely alone that really bothered me.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Sweet crap I have never feared for my life in a game before that. Then I played Call of Cthulhu, but that's meant to be scary.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Half Life. Going through vents with a flashlight. Headcrabs.

How do they even scream?

Nihlex

Jun 30, 2009
Portal scared the crap out of me, and its the only game that ever has, the suspense of nothing ever jumping out yet you wanting it to killed me

confessor

Aug 2, 2009
Blueruler182 said:
Um... Halo CE. I'd only played multiplayer for the longest time, when I played and fought the Flood, it scared the shit out of me. Didn't help that I was ten at the time...
They did an awesome job with that...the atmosphere descending into that place was great, and than the combat forms - first time I saw those things, I freaked.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
cooluc said:
Half life. I've always had a phobia of head crabs. Don't know why.
Would it be inappropriate for me to point out that they, honest to God, look like... Well, ladyparts.
At least my friend thought so, and insisted that headcrabs are some form of twisted mysogeny.

Still, I have to add in here Earthbound. It seems so cute and innocent, but keeps getting more and more disturbing as you progress. Giygas is fucking terrifying, and creeps me out more than anything on any other video game I've ever heard of. The worst part is that I can see why the conspiracy theorists say the finap battle is a weird, scifi abortion...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Save us.A7X said:
Silent Hill 3, I had recently played through Silent Hill 2 and honestly hadn't found it that scary so I expected more of the same from 3, oh God how wrong I was, that entire game terrified from start to finish.
agreed, altho I played silent hill one and it was really scary but 2 just not at all

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Julianking93 said:
Goddamn regeneraters....
Also hated those freaking insect things in the lower levels of the castle.

For me, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It seemed like a pretty decent shooter, up until I went venturing into an underground laboratory.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Erana said:
cooluc said:
Half life. I've always had a phobia of head crabs. Don't know why.
Would it be inappropriate for me to point out that they, honest to God, look like... Well, ladyparts.
At least my friend thought so, and insisted that headcrabs are some form of twisted mysogeny.
HARDLY.

the headcrab mouth is perfectly round. with teeth. and headcrabs have legs.

Tattaglia said:
Half Life. Going through vents with a flashlight. Headcrabs.

How do they even scream?
It looks like they are rattling when they do it. also, they have a mouth.

also let me add Legend of zelda.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I'm not a horror game fan, but I didn't expect Half-Life 2 to scare me. I hate things that jump out at me like headcrabs and unexpected zombies. When I finished playing with D0g I didn't even start the Ravenholm bit. I was too much of a chicken.

Shimmyshake

Mar 25, 2010
Man, when I was younger, Hyrule when you were an adult in Ocarina of Time really freaked me out. Those damn rape zombies were so creepy!

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Portal. Near the end, the atmosphere really gets gritty and subtly creepy. And then the turrets would just pop out of no where and I'd realize that my pants are browner than usual...

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
I thought I would be immune to System Shock 2, due to the extreme basicness to the models (very early 3D, how scary can anything made out of 20 polys BE?). It was still shit scary. I have to play it on multiplayer to get through it at all and still haven't finished it...

(Though, I may add, I am not beaten yet!)