Science Officially Stomps All Hope of Dinosaur Cloning

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
In that case they should get started on prehistoric mammals instead.

I'll have a mastodon please. Though I would settle for a giant sloth.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
The Random One said:
Well, you just wait, science! When we invent time travel we'll get dino DNA straight from- wait you disproved time travel as well didn't you? WHY
Well, time travel isn't necessarily disproven. It is not possible within our understanding of space-time, but we can't understand everything of it yet, maybe we will never. Basic problem of modern science. Maybe there's still a way to clone a dinosaur JP style, we just know from experimenting that DNA half-life is somewhat above 500 years. Maybe at the end of the year, Cthulhu will come through a portal from the border of the universe, or another dimension and enslave earth, you can't say it's impossible, just because the chance is extremely small and we wouldn't know how.

Jun 23, 2008
cynicalsaint1 has it right, and this was discussed in the original Jurassic Park (The Hammond and Dr. Henry Wu [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park_%28novel%29] that the process of extrapolating dinosaur DNA by filling in the blanks from other species (mostly frogs) doesn't create authentic dinosaurs, but a Frankensteinian approximation. We can't be sure that any given feature of a species is from its dinosaur ancestry or from the borrowed genes.

Wu even suggests modifying the dinos to make them more manageable, the way they added their lysine dependence to keep them from successfully escaping the park.

Similarly, Dr. Lewis Dodgson from Biosyn discusses the current monopoly Ingen has on cloned dinosaurs, and extrapolates the idea selling modified dinosaurs as pets. Of course, these wouldn't be actual unaltered dino species but a modified and domesticated version (because real, wild animals are dangerous [http://www.cracked.com/article_15853_the-6-cutest-animals-that-can-still-destroy-you.html]). We might as well also make them require Ingen's special patented dino-chow blend of feed. Say, because of that lysine dependence.

The point is, we'd never have been able to truly acquire true dinosaurs anyway, but we will be able to design from the ground up some critters that look very much like dinosaurs, and convey to the public an "authentic dinosaur experience" or as much of one as they'd want anyway. With or without feathers as you prefer.

http://fap.to/images/full/47/437/437436594.jpg
Is this a mammal or not? I'M CONFUSED.

So, true dinosaurs like from the Cretaceous period weren't a likely thing anyway. But who cares. We'll get our dinosaurs and then some, and customize them to consumer perfection.

238U

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Nasrin said:

This makes me pretty sad. Now I won't be able to get that Compsognathus I've always wanted T.T
I'll join in on that.

It is truly a sad day, when my dreams of riding a T-Rex to work are doomed.
These epic gifs!

Keep em coming, I need moar bookmarks!

catpcha: 'brush your teeth'

well that was rude..

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
but not enough to survive the trip from Cretaceous Period to the Age of Honey Boo Boo.
This got a damn good laugh out of me. :)

As for the topic at hand...what can I say that Bender hasn't already said?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
(who I'm sure are perfectly nice, and probably didn't mean to suck the wind from our dino sails like some sort of joy-sucking vacuum monster)
That made me chuckle.

I don't know if its been mentioned but they have had results in genetic engineering. They were actually able to create a chicken embryo with teeth and a tail... granted thats a far cry from the Cretaceous mega Hyena that is T.Rex.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
chimpzy said:
In that case they should get started on prehistoric mammals instead.

I'll have a mastodon please. Though I would settle for a giant sloth.
They are apparently doing this as we speak. Its in northern Europe to so hopefully none of that ethics nonscence.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
That's true - we've already started guiding ancestral evolutionary traits in chickens to reverse engineer them into dinosaurs. Still, Chickenosaurus Rex will just never be quite the same. And no, the JP methodology wasn't quite nonsense
Im glad im not the only one who watched that documentry, no one ever bloody knows what im talking about.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Scorpid said:
Can we at least get a wooly mammoth or a sabertooth tiger as a consolation prize?! ='(
It may be too late if the half-life of DNA really is 521 years...on the plus side, we could potentially see Tasmanian Tigers or, Dodos return...possibly...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Strange. I should feel relieved. I'm instead disappointed beyond belief. I didn't realize I felt this way.

This is almost as bad as the time someone told me "You know a Portal Gun is impossible, right?"

On the upside, as Mike was saying in this thread, we might well be able to farm Smilodons and mammoths, within our lifetimes. Oooh, or maybe we can start the process for miniaturization of animals, and we can have shoulder mounted ones!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Did we not know this already, like, a few years ago? I could swear I was in primary school when I heard this first.

But yeah, damn. I guess genetic engineering is our only way. Hey, an iguana-bear would be just as good as a dinosaur as far as I'm concerned.

Mar 7, 2012
That's not exactly true. This just disproves one method of cloning dinosaurs.

What if there was Dinosaur DNA that somehow got propelled near the speed of light and ended up in modern day? Then we'd have dinosaur DNA.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This is news? I've know cloned Dinosaurs were never going to happen since grade 8 when a guide at the Royal Terrel Museum in Drumheller pretty much said as much because the DNA just can't survive that long.

Defenestra

Apr 16, 2009
We'd probably have to update them dramatically enve if we did have intact DNA. The oxygen levels in the modern atmosphere are much lower, I think, than the dinosaurs were adapted for. We could probably rebuild some of them (at least in an approximate sense) with DNA from living descendants, but let's settle for re-makiung some of the megafauna that probably only died out because we ate 'em all.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Wait, so we could still clone other recently extinct and near extinct species? because I want a pet dodo!

Science do me proud.

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
wow, 1 study and suddenly it's impossible? I remember a time when they thought cloning was impossible or sequencing genetics.... and look at us now. in the realm of sciences, you can usually spot the "junk science" when they use words like "never" or "impossible".

that said, it's just going to be much HARDER for us to do it... not impossible. sure, most dna will decay, but there may be circumstances where just a few segments survive... find enough... and well... you get the idea. in science, nothing is impossible... it's just a new challenge!

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
"Science Officially Stomps All Hope of Dinosaur Cloning"
For now.
Most people don't really see this, but humanity has a tenacity about us.

Man can't survive aquatic conditions, man learns to swim.
Man can't swim an Ocean, man creates Boat.
Man can't fly, man creates Airplanes.
Man can't survive outer space, man creates Spaceship.

Science proves a lot of things, Earth is flat, the Sun revolves around the Earth, hell, there was a small point in history where science proved that since space doesn't have atmosphere, we wouldn't be able to propel ourselves through it. This is why we have scientists, to take what is considered impossible and find a way.
Friggin' nay-saying scientists saying something's impossible. Nothing but my disdain.