Science Says Pro Gamers Aren't Athletes

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Whoa so spending hours in front of a computer WON'T make me as fit as someone who spends hours training their body??? Go figure.

Seatownstriker

May 19, 2010
Xero Scythe said:
Seatownstriker said:
Xero Scythe said:
Seatownstriker said:
We needed a study to tell us this? Lets use our money in more productive ways please?
your avatar is Calvin. You don't really have a right to talk.
:)
What does that have to do with anything?
ever read the comics? Calvin is the king of useless studies and experiments. He is also the biggest money waster.
Its been a while since I read em. I just thought they were funny. Its supposed to be animated to, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Calatar said:
Kheapathic said:
How profound, no wonder we haven't cured any life threatening diseases lately; science is too busy comparing the health of people in different fields of activity. Though in this case can we all agree that Nascar drivers and Card players aren't athletes? I mean both of those are "sports" which require little bodily output.
dalek sec said:
Oh well thank god they're doing this as to trying to find a new fuel source, curing cancer or anything like that....
Ekit said:
Why can't they spend their time trying to cure cancer instead?
Hey guys, the man who did this research was the "the head of Sport, Performance and Fatigue Research Unit." He's a sports medicine doctor, not a cancer researcher. There is no "they" here, it's A person doing a study on the physical abilities of pro-gamers. He was contracted by an E-SPORTS RADIO PROGRAM.
An E-Sports radio program paid for a study on the health and fitness of pro-gamers? WHY AREN'T RADIO PROGRAMS CURING CANCER?

There is no generic "science" that does all research ever. The fact that a sports medicine doctor did a study on physical fitness in fact has absolutely NO bearing on the progress of ANY field of cancer research. Accept this study as the fluff and common knowledge it is, but stop complaining about how we'll never cure disease because scientists are all wasting their time.
Merci beaucoup. One gets so accustomed to such statements that one cannot be roused to refute them. One will have to try and be as proactive as yourself.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
You know what? I disagree with these "scientists" and everybody here saying "no shit". Why? because of the amount of PHYSICAL CONDITIONING that pro-gamers have to do in order to be competitive. Pro-gamers actually TRAIN for fuck sakes. Developing the muscle memory and manual dexterity to be competitive at any hotkey intensive game (starcraft for example) is in my opinion comparable to learning kata (forms, sets, whatever) in martial arts. and that is just one aspect, it doesn't take into account skillful use of the mouse, reflexes, etc.

My point is, that there is an element of physical mastery and skill involved that people don't seem to notice. I'm pretty sure there are professional golfers that actually ARE 60 year old smokers. Endurance isn't required in every sport.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Really? I always thought sitting on your ass, moving your fingers, looking at a screen was a sport... Guess not.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I choose to interpret this as there being a market for professional Dance Dance Revolution players.

I'm perfectly willing to step up to the plate.

bismarck55 said:
You know what? I disagree with these "scientists" and everybody here saying "no shit". Why? because of the amount of PHYSICAL CONDITIONING that pro-gamers have to do in order to be competitive. Pro-gamers actually TRAIN for fuck sakes. Developing the muscle memory and manual dexterity to be competitive at any hotkey intensive game (starcraft for example) is in my opinion comparable to learning kata (forms, sets, whatever) in martial arts. and that is just one aspect, it doesn't take into account skillful use of the mouse, reflexes, etc.
And yet, unlike the sports or martial arts training, none of that makes you any healthier.

Did you even read the article? It points out the positive results of game training on physical and mental reflexes.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Another important study from the Maximegalon Institute for Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Surprisingly Obvious.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Calatar said:
Ekit said:
Why can't they spend their time trying to cure cancer instead?
Hey guys, the man who did this research was the "the head of Sport, Performance and Fatigue Research Unit." He's a sports medicine doctor, not a cancer researcher. There is no "they" here, it's A person doing a study on the physical abilities of pro-gamers. He was contracted by an E-SPORTS RADIO PROGRAM.
An E-Sports radio program paid for a study on the health and fitness of pro-gamers? WHY AREN'T RADIO PROGRAMS CURING CANCER?

There is no generic "science" that does all research ever. The fact that a sports medicine doctor did a study on physical fitness in fact has absolutely NO bearing on the progress of ANY field of cancer research. Accept this study as the fluff and common knowledge it is, but stop complaining about how we'll never cure disease because scientists are all wasting their time.
My main point wasn't the fact that they didn't cure cancer. I used cancer as an (obviously failed) attempt to illustrate that this whole study was unnecessary and that these people, regardless of their profession should have done something better with their time and resources.

And maybe the radio program could pay for a study on cancer instead of a basically throwing all that money away? :)

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Next week, researchers discover the captain obvious has been funding their projects.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
danpascooch said:
Next article:

[HEADING=2]Science Says Scientists Waste Too Much Time Proving Obvious Shit[/HEADING]
Followed closely by
[HEADING=2]Art says saying "Science" is not a conclusive way to prove anything[/HEADING]

Science is not a neat little package that the universe fits in. Just like how Movies are not about badass men with guns who kill evil and save the princess. It's kind of a broad term
If only news sources realized that.

Redweevil

Oct 21, 2009
Well thank you science. Maybe you can tell us where Combines come from. Oh no they come from science and outer space

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
Bigeyez said:
Whoa so spending hours in front of a computer WON'T make me as fit as someone who spends hours training their body??? Go figure.
What are you talking about? My thumb muscles are the size of melons!

Jerious1154

Aug 18, 2008
Probably a follow up to this study:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/teen-sex-linked-to-drugs-and-alcohol-reports-cente,1417/

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I tend to think this is an arguement based on literal definition of the term "Athlete" as opposed to how the term has changed with society.

That, and I'm pretty sure that the guys doing the study had a vested interest in not wanting video games to be taken seriously as a sport. I'd have to wonder where the funding came from (even universities usually have sponsors for this kind of research). If your business was sports, and you saw the millions upon millions of people doing video games, and what was going on with professional games in Korea, you might not want the competition that comes from the simple acknowlegement of gamers as athletes.

Besides, as ironic as it is, it can be argued that many people can't just sit there for hours upon hours like a lot of gamers do. As wierd as that sounds, it is a physical exercise. What's more just as rigorous activity does damage, the massie lack of activity involved in serious gaming could be considered similar given the end results. Some Boxer suffers brain damage over time from being punched in the head, a super-gamer suffers from weak lungs and other problems from sitting there for massive amounts of time perfecting their "craft".

We'll see what happens in the long run.