Scientists Work on Force Fields for Tanks

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Calobi said:
Now tanks could play Pong! Imagine firing a rocket from between two tanks equipped with this, then running away. RPG bounces off of one, goes toward the other, then back. If either of them miss reflecting it someone nearby would have a very bad day.
I seriously hope, if world war ever comes, you are on my platoon. That sounds incredible.

Hobo Joe said:
A fucking FORCE FIELD?!

In 20-50 years there's going to be some seriously futuristic warfare, with all of these force fields and invisibilty cloaks and so on.
Surely in 20-50 years time, it would be seriously modern warfare?

soapyshooter said:
Still no flying cars. WHERE ARE YOU FLYING CARS!?
Can you imagine what the insurance would be like on that? If you, there's no of this fannying about, will I die, won't I die? You WILL die. As well as the 60 mph combined force of hitting another car head on, you have to fall to the ground. And what if they run out of petrol? What do you thinks gonna happen?

On topic, that is a great idea. Bullets would be slowed, rpgs reppeled. Everyone inside is safer. Oh and can we not have another British Empire? We've done this before several times and it never ends well.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
This force field is another thing that could be added to Call of Duty 8: Future Warfare*. It would be excellent on the off-chance they do it right - there hasn't been a remotely realistic futuristic FPS since Battlefield 2142, and that one barely counts either.

* Only exists in my imagination

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Creating a powerful magnetic field in a lab is easy,but what I really want to see is the tank stopping multiple projectiles and still have enough juice to operate normally.
Also,I'd hate to be a friendly soldier standing next to the tank when it stops a projectile.

That being said,R&D guys aren't exactly the dumbest people alive,so it's a safe bet to think they can work those flaws out.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
NuclearPenguin said:
Mcupobob said:
Well its about time! I mean how long have you waited for Force Fields that we can put on stuff? They better be working on a hover car next, also wouldn't mind to see a jet pack anytime soon. Science has been lacking lately on that kind of stuff.
Jet Pack's have been invented, Michael Jackson ran from a concert with one.
I'm sure that was just special effects or something but I did look up a jet pack on google and you can already buy one! so scratch that off the list of things science has to do.

linky -

http://www.martinjetpack.com/the-martin-jetpack.aspx

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
Mcupobob said:
NuclearPenguin said:
Mcupobob said:
Well its about time! I mean how long have you waited for Force Fields that we can put on stuff? They better be working on a hover car next, also wouldn't mind to see a jet pack anytime soon. Science has been lacking lately on that kind of stuff.
I'm sure that was just special effects or something but I did look up a jet pack on google and you can already buy one! so scratch that off the list of things science has to do.

linky -

Special effects at a live concert? He FLEW out of the stage.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
formless777 said:
That doesn't sound like it will work. I hope it isn't tax dollars wasted.
Lol you think this is the limit of wasted tax dollars?
They must think that there is actually some hope in this sort of technology for them to tell us about it.

Grigori361

Apr 6, 2009
Calobi said:
Now tanks could play Pong! Imagine firing a rocket from between two tanks equipped with this, then running away. RPG bounces off of one, goes toward the other, then back. If either of them miss reflecting it someone nearby would have a very bad day.
Amazing idea, I wonder if we could get a team tournament :p

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I would pay top dollar to see the look on the first Islamic fundamentalist insurgent who fires an RPG at that thing

It would be the perfect mix of "Buh?" "That's not supposed to happen" "WTF" and "Holy Crap, our entire army's tactics just went out the window"

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
NuclearPenguin said:
Mcupobob said:
NuclearPenguin said:
Mcupobob said:

linky -

Special effects at a live concert? He FLEW out of the stage.
Ok whatever, Michael Jackson can fly and Oj was innocent. It was a stunt double though not Mj.

http://popsci.typepad.com/popsci/2006/06/jackos_jetpack.html

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Twad said:
Well, time will tell if its cost-efficient to implement those "shields" or add an extra layer of armor plating.
Or whether it's physically possible. Seriously, how does one manipulate electrical energy to create a solid shell?

Hobo Joe said:
A fucking FORCE FIELD?!

In 20-50 years there's going to be some seriously futuristic warfare, with all of these force fields and invisibilty cloaks and so on.
Call of Duty 7: Advanced Warfare

GrinningManiac said:
I would pay top dollar to see the look on the first Islamic fundamentalist insurgent who fires an RPG at that thing

It would be the perfect mix of "Buh?" "That's not supposed to happen" "WTF" and "Holy Crap, our entire army's tactics just went out the window"
QFT

Fragarach

Dec 2, 2009
This just screams Philadelphia Project [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_project]

Maybe it's just me.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Twad said:
Well, time will tell if its cost-efficient to implement those "shields" or add an extra layer of armor plating.
Dependent on many factors. Including fuel and maintaince savings due to the reduction in weight, increased survivablity of the vehicles, and so forth. Will have to see what the final version is like.

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Sounds pretty cool. However, when they finaly get some models out in the field they'll going to be like "o_O sand is jamming our system..."

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Looks like they're rolling out the Mako. It's only weakness is hills! Build more hills!

Sounds cool, I'd like to see where they go with it but it also sounds highly experimental right now.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Doug said:
Twad said:
Dependent on many factors. Including fuel and maintaince savings due to the reduction in weight, increased survivablity of the vehicles, and so forth. Will have to see what the final version is like.

Exactly what i had in mind when i wrote it. Its a really complex problem to implement such modifications IF they are effective enough to justify their production cost, logistical needs and maintenance. And such system will be put to the test hard on the battlefield, what if a counter is quickly found?

The thing is.. AFAIK magnetic shields can only affect things made of iron/whatever material. It would need to be MASSIVELY powerfull to deflect fast objects.
Plastic/paper/resin/ect missile with a magnetic-neutral explosive charge and penetrator? The magnetic shield will be useless.

zyoto12

Aug 23, 2009
Calobi said:
awesome idea right there.

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
OMG, OMG, OMG, the future is here! And only ten years late! Well, they don't fly yet, but whatever! Wait. Wait, wait... is this a good thing?