Scott Pilgrim gets dominated.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
L1250 said:
I've noticed a trend in opinions on Scott Pilgrim coming from this thread. Basically, everyone can be lumped into one of three categories:

1. Hasn't seen it; thinks it sucks.
2. Hasn't seen it; thinks it looks good.
3. Has seen it; showers it with mountains of praise.

I think we should all take a moment to think about what we see, or rather, don't see, among those three categories. There is clearly an answer to be found from this information.
Since your avatar is from PW I shall respond with a-
HOLD IT!​
This board is at a huge bias because its about gaming. The small demographic this movie is aimed towards is what this forum is made of so assuming that a unanimous liking of the movie means the movie is flawless is not accurate!

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Skeleton Jelly said:
Really? That's strange, I thought ALL the hipsters would go see Scott Pilgram, and there's certainly a lot of hipsters in this world now.
I find it funny how the majority of hipsters found scott pilgrim through the movie, and became what they themselves hate so much.

Movie was pretty cool and did the series justice. And it didn't make gamers look stupid (the references were alright and not forced)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Well, its very simple to see why. It doesnt have a demographic.

becuase i work at a theatre, and a busy one for our area, i saw the rundown of demographics and it went something like this:

DISCLAIMER: The demographics of this post are only representable at the theatre I work at, and I can not speak for other theatres in other regions.

Eat, Pray, Love: Old People, Mothers who did not want to see Expendables iwth thier significant others, Overly homosexual people (you know who i mean, andi have nothing against them).

The Expendables: MEN (of all ages), Women who did not want to swallow the crap of EPL, anyone sneaking into a movie.

The Other Guys: People dating, People married, people who compromised between Expendables and EPL. Groups of people who could not get tickets to EXBLS and EPL.

Inception: Old people who saw Titanic, Old people who saw EPL, women who think Dicaprio is hot, people who think he is "talented" (he's not the actor Titanic made him out to be). Young adults who want to appear smart and give their analysis of a movie they THINK they understand.

Despicable Me: Children, Teens, Tweens.

Cats and Dogs 2: See Despicable Me.

Grown Ups: See The Other Guys.

Salt: well... really no one this week. Normally its just men and women who want to see Angelina Jolie get back in the acting business.

Dinner For Schmucks: People who have not seen it yet and LIKE Steve Carrol (yes, he is a deal breaker for that movie, suprising as it is.)

Step Up 3D: "Hood Rats", white kids who like to act black (accept you are not and MOVE ON!), anyone who thinks they are that rap or hip hop speaks to them (chances are, if you live in the suburbs, it doesnt.)

and finally Scott Pilgrim: People who like Michael Cera, fans of the graphic novel, fans of Juno, fans of offbeat teen movies who enjoy people like Michael Cera and Luke Wilson (you know, how they bring that dry witty sense of humour to the screen), whatever was left that couldnt sneak into EXBLS and do not like movies like TOG.

yeah.... i know, that sounds like i have no idea what i'm saying, and in reality, I'm not an expert, but that "whatever is left" demographical mix isnt a large group, and the movie sufers not having big name actors besides Michael Cera. Its just the sad, unfortunate timing of opening with the Overcompensating Expendables and the pathetically bland cookie-cutter romance movie with an A-list star.

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Douk said:
L1250 said:
I've noticed a trend in opinions on Scott Pilgrim coming from this thread. Basically, everyone can be lumped into one of three categories:

I think we should all take a moment to think about what we see, or rather, don't see, among those three categories. There is clearly an answer to be found from this information.
HOLD IT!​
This board is at a huge bias because its about gaming. The small demographic this movie is aimed towards is what this forum is made of so assuming that a unanimous liking of the movie means the movie is flawless is not accurate!
OBJECTION!

The question of the movie's flawlessness is irrelevant to this case! Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is targeting this court's forum's audience, but that is exactly the defense's point! This crucial piece of evidence proves (dramatic close-up)... that the members of this forum would enjoy the movie if they gave it a chance!

NeuroticMarshmallow

Nov 18, 2009
This actually comes to little surprise. They chose an awful time to release this.You've got the battle of the sexes here. You have the ultra macho testosterone soaked "Expendables" and the fluffy romantic feminine get up of "Eat,Pray,Love". The advertising also could have been a put off. The trailers for it looked rather stupid to be honest. And I didn't even want to see it-I was actually dragged to see it. But I saw the film-and I absolutely freaking loved it. I don't even like Michael Cera's awkward demeanor-but it worked here. But the marketing appeal of the two polar opposite films that released that day was going to win out anyway. Scott Pilgrim,while amazing, is towards a ridiculously small demographic in comparison.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
L1250 said:
Douk said:
L1250 said:

HOLD IT!​
OBJECTION!

The question of the movie's flawlessness is irrelevant to this case! Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is targeting this court's forum's audience, but that is exactly the defense's point! This crucial piece of evidence proves (dramatic close-up)... that the members of this forum would enjoy the movie if they gave it a chance!

You're right, darn it!

the prosecution has nothing else to say.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I'm 34, so I'm not in this movies demographic (18-30 it seems) and I've read a couple of the graphic novels while in a store, but I hated every second of it while doing it. There is no way the movie can make me change my mind about the character of Scott Pilgrim and the world he inhabits.

And you want to know why that is? I don't want to contribute a penny to the account of O'Malley and help usher in more of this drivel into comic shops.

Why is it that if someone hates Bobby Kotick and badmouths Activision because of it, nobody says a word; yet if someone says they don't like this wannabe manga that draws on every cliche from every romcom ever made and adds in some video game references they are the epitome of evil?

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Douk said:
L1250 said:
Douk said:
L1250 said:

HOLD IT!​
OBJECTION!

You're right, darn it!

the prosecution has nothing else to say.
The defense rests its case. I think we can all agree that Scott Pilgrim vs. The World could not have killed Mia Fey is a pretty damn good movie.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
It's funny how people judge movies without seeing them. I had a friend who refused to watch Sherlock Holmes, based on the trailers, casting an American as Holmes and how the posters made RDJr look, he felt it was butchering the franchise. He'd literally get to fingers in the ear "I'm not listening" agravation while I tried to convince him not to like it, but simply to reserve judgement until after seeing it.

A few months later he's seen it on DVD, he actually liked it and I got a sheepish apology.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I have seen Scott Pilgrim and loved it, but I'm also going to see The Expendables tonight. Afterwards I shall formulate an informed (yet subjective) opinion on which one I preferred. Though most likely I'll love both.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Well, duh!

- Scott Pilgrim is a movie aimed at the geek demographic filled with nerdy references.

- The Expendables is movie aimed at the mainstream action-demographic filled with Stallone, Willis and Schwarzenegger.

Do the math.
^^This^^

Gotta say that Pilgrim not doing all that well on opening weekend isn't a very big surprise. And even though Movie Bob liked it, his review convinced me that I wouldn't be seeing it. He pretty much said that didn't recognize these two references(which I don't exactly recall, since after all I didn't recognize them) that you wouldn't enjoy it. And frankly, it's a no-name cast for me. I recognized the face of the star, but only from "teen movie" commercials that I've seen. When you narrow your demographic that much, you're not going to pull in the big bucks.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
lewism247 said:
Seriously?

Cmon guys that's a bit much, sure there is a decent amount of people who are idiots but to say they are "drugged monkeys" or something so dumb that it'd be offensive for them to compared to them is a bit much.

Not every film you see needs to have a deep plot, intricate characters etc.

Surely you guys enjoy watching a cheesy action film every once in a while.

OP: As has been said, Scott Pilgrim was aimed at a specific audience whereas The expendables was aimed for the majority, plus it's got almost all the big action guys.
Yes it is a bit harsh.

I do enjoy mindless action movies and watch them fairly regularly, and I have no problem with other people enjoying them. What I have a problem with is when people only enjoy mindless things and consider them to be examples of real quality entertainment. I enjoy the Call of Duty series, but to say it is of better quality than say Shadow of the Collossus is ludicrous. More entertaining to you personally? Fine. But it's not better. Similarly, it angers me to no end when people say that mindless action films are comparable in quality to, or worse, better than, really good meaningful movies. It's like the people who consider Twilight to be quality literature.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Edit: Sorry for the double post, my original didn't show up as being posted until I posted the same thing again.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Bleh. The Expendables looks like just another b-grade action movie, with a bunch of big name actors whose careers are receding faster than their hairlines.

This is sad too, because I saw Scott Pilgrim yester day and it was incredible. It's such an awesome study of relationships and the 7 evil exes are a great analogy for the stages of relationships.
Plus, everyone he kills explodes into coins, which is fucking hilarious.
*Scott defeats his first evil ex
"Aw awesome money! 2.50? Thats not even enough for the bus home"

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Furburt said:
I would see Scott Pilgrim, but Michael Cera's faux awkwardness prevents me from doing so. However, I'm looking forward to the Expendables. Dumb, yes, but fun.

Anyway, I'd say it'll make it back in DVD sales. Those films popular with the indie crowd usually do.
I hate that guy too. I think practically every film he's been in has suffered for it... Well in my opinion.
This, this, a thousand times, THIS.
My friend Connor still insists that he deserves those "Best actor/supporting actor" awards.

No he doesn't. He just wanders onto stage, delivers lines in a pathetic little mewling voice and gets paid handsomely.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
FaceFaceFace said:
lewism247 said:
Seriously?

Cmon guys that's a bit much, sure there is a decent amount of people who are idiots but to say they are "drugged monkeys" or something so dumb that it'd be offensive for them to compared to them is a bit much.

Not every film you see needs to have a deep plot, intricate characters etc.

Surely you guys enjoy watching a cheesy action film every once in a while.

OP: As has been said, Scott Pilgrim was aimed at a specific audience whereas The expendables was aimed for the majority, plus it's got almost all the big action guys.
Yes it is a bit harsh.

I do enjoy mindless action movies and watch them fairly regularly, and I have no problem with other people enjoying them. What I have a problem with is when people only enjoy mindless things and consider them to be examples of real quality entertainment. I enjoy the Call of Duty series, but to say it is of better quality than say Shadow of the Collossus is ludicrous. More entertaining to you personally? Fine. But it's not better. Similarly, it angers me to no end when people say that mindless action films are comparable in quality to, or worse, better than, really good meaningful movies. It's like the people who consider Twilight to be quality literature.
I do agree with you there, that pisses me off too.

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
L1250 said:
OBJECTION!

It doesn't matter how much the story's premise revolves around computer gaming - I still do not like romance in the vast majority of movies. I do not watch romantic comedies, I resent a lot of romantic engagements in other genres, and making it a "geeky hipster gets the girl" angle to the romance makes things even worse!
I understand your complaint, I hate pretty much all romance in fiction. I still love this movie and think it's one of the best of the year. Scott Pilgrim is about as much of a romantic comedy as Shaun of the Dead. The romance is at the center of the plot, but it doesn't take over the plot, which keeps the movie as an action-comedy. If the romance is the only thing holding you back from seeing this movie, just go see it.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Hmm... Should I see Scott Pilgrim or The Expendables?

Ah, to hell with it! I'm just gonna go see Inception again, that film kicked ass and had an intelligent plot!