Seattle's Protector Causes Tension in Superhero Community

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Seattle's Protector Causes Tension in Superhero Community

The schism was inevitable, but efforts to repair it seem doomed to failure.

Seattle-based superhero, Phoenix Jones, may have grabbed a few headlines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106675-Real-Life-Superhero-Thwarts-Robbery-Gains-TV-Fame] recently, but his hands-on methods are ruffling feathers among his contemporaries in the Real World Superhero [http://www.reallifesuperheroes.org/] organization. The RLSH think it's only a matter of time before Jones, or another member of his Rain City Superheroes, gets themselves badly hurt, or even killed.

Members of the RLSH usually focus on charitable endeavors like handing out food at homeless shelters. Some, like New York City's Dark Guardian, take a slightly more active role, but ultimately remain non-violent. Jones, on the other hand, will often actively try to stop crime with his arsenal of non-lethal weaponry. His actions have most recently resulted in a broken nose, and Jones says that he has also been stabbed and shot in the past.

Knight Owl, a member of the RLSH from Portland, OR, said that it was inevitable that there would eventually be someone who agreed with the movement's mission, but not the methods. Nevertheless, he felt that it didn't reflect well on the superhero community, and that Jones was something of a thorn in the RLSH's side.

According to Jones, the tension between him and the RLSH isn't new. Jones said that the movement resented his quick rise to prominence, and blackballed him when he tried to smooth things over. There have been subsequent efforts to patch up the relationship, but they've met with little success. Jones was critical of the RLSH, saying that although its members did good work, there was no point in putting on a superhero costume if you weren't going to fight crime. He said he didn't see the use in giving food to homeless people, if you weren't also going to deal with the drug dealers who made their lives even harder.

It really seems like Jones and the RLSH are both right. Giving food to homeless people is a good start, but hunger is just the most immediate of their problems. On the other hand, the RLSH isn't kidding when it says that's it only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured. With any luck, that time will be a long time coming, but it will happen.

Source: Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703408604576164641263773656.html] via Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/25/real-life-civil-war-in-seattle-whose-side-are-you-on/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+BleedingCool+(Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors)]

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
So hes something of a Wolverine now? Epic!

Seriously though Im pretty sure Jones is well aware of the dangers yet hes still taking the risk to help others. I applaud the guy in all his efforts. The RLSH is also doing something noble, dont get me wrong, but I still think Jones is doing the most impact here.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Organisations need organising not the endeavours they push forward. If there isn't a crazy person like him then they'll probably just atrophy and rot, freedom is all people pulling in different directions.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
They're both bit retarded but I'll stick with the awesomely retarded side.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Its kind of inevitable.

Its like in Kick Ass. You become a vigilante, youre eventually going to get yourself or someone you care about hurt or even killed.

I might salute him that much more for every day Jones goes without getting himself hurt/killed when he does get himself hut/killed.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Is it just me or is the feud between Phoenix Jones and his gang of superheroes versus the RLSH superheroes reminding me of those D.C. versus Marvel comics? There's such a good comic strip in this. If I had more talent in that area I'd do it myself.

Joshica Huracane

Feb 21, 2011
Thats actually pretty awesome. Surely he's going to get hurt at some point but hey, if you're going to take on crime, thats to be expected. As for the RLSH, they're doing amazing work too; just not nearly as... interesting?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If he wanted to fight crime, could he not have joined the police, or other law enforcement agency, and, you know, do things properly?

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Fasckira said:
Seriously though Im pretty sure Jones is well aware of the dangers yet hes still taking the risk to help others. I applaud the guy in all his efforts. The RLSH is also doing something noble, dont get me wrong, but I still think Jones is doing the most impact here.
Agreed. He knows what he's doing (at least for the most part) and even if he does get badly injured or even killed, he will do so gladly doing what he enjoys.

If that is anyone's main excuse for debating his actions, then they would also have to disagree with half the world who enjoys extreme sports and/ or the military.

My only issue with his actions is his extent. Is he going to be breaking laws in his crime-fighting? It's almost inevitable if he's to remain successful. In which case, then he'd be in the wrong, no matter how much I personally support his actions.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Well good on him, I say. Fight the worthy fight.

btw, I wonder if he's been watching Smallville lately? cookie for cue.

thegermanguy

Jul 17, 2009
what the hell? real-life superheroes? never heard of that before...
now it's just a matter of time until the real-life supervillains pop up. oh, wait...we already have these...

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
Pilkingtube said:
This is the first time i've heard of this guy, is he famous in the USA or just Seattle?
Honestly he's not even very well known here (I live in the Seattle area). Basically he's garnered a little bit of niche celebrity and has been the subject of a few color pieces in local and national news papers.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
I wonder; How does he get around? By Motorcycle, I hope. Walking down the street in outfit doesn't feel very Superhero-ish, or effective way to patrol.
I have heard of him in the news before, and I don't live in the states.
I like what he is doing, even though I agree he will end up getting hurt, or worse. But it's his own legal right, and he is within the law (Civil Arrest is still legal in Seattle, is it not?).

Also..

..Wtf?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
the article seemed to skirt around the important issue: this is about grown men wearing costumes arguing over the best way to deal with crime. WTF!?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
You know, we have things like sworn police officers, courts, judges, and due process for a reason. It's only a matter of time before someone takes the "non" out of "non-lethal" in their pursuit of "justice". Sure, at the moment the more active vigilantes are only stopping unambiguous property/violent crimes, but what happens when a vigilante decides to crack down on software piracy? Or if a vigilante decides that non-crimes (in American society), like cheating on your spouse, deserve "justice".

Mukil

Mar 23, 2010
I just made this guy in Dc universe online. He seems to be kicking ass.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Azuaron said:
but what happens when a vigilante decides to crack down on software piracy? Or if a vigilante decides that non-crimes (in American society), like cheating on your spouse, deserve "justice".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_George_Tiller

That sort of thing has been going on for ages.

Hell, why not class "corrective rape" and harassment of inter-racial couples under that while we're at it?