Second Chinese Teen Killed in Internet Rehab

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
...Ugh...
*facepalm*
*is embarrassed to be from a country that is within the same Continent as China*

clockout

Jun 7, 2010
We all know that camp can be a harsh place on a kid.

Hello muddah, hello fuddah....

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Lie to your children to build trust and then send them to our boot camp where if we can't your your kids we kill them free of charge!

While this is a sad event it seems a little overboard. Your kid doesn't want to be like the other kids so you send him to camp, am I missing information here?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
You know a lot of people are looking forward to China becoming the most powerful country in the world.

With all the censorship, torture and brutal existence their people have to live you have to wonder how far people will go just to get products a little bit cheaper

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
I'll just put this here...

Sounds to me like the typical scapegoating one sees. At some point everyone cries things like "TV is ruining society, videogames train killers, the internet is the source of 90% of juvenile crime."

It's all a load of malarkey, odds are the few that commit these crimes and have violent or self destructive tendencies have/had other underlying problems. It's just easier to blame popular media than to find out what is really going on.

OT: Yes, it sucks that he died and that his mother is an idiot and shouldn't have been allowed to breed but my real issue is the fact that these camps exist in the first place even if they don't beat people in the most of the other ones.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
China, if you made real life not-shit, then you wouldn't be having this problem in the first place.

Also, sunstroke? Who came up with that excuse?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
voetballeeuw said:
That's messed up. What do they actually do at those camps anyways?
Execute political bloggers. The ones that survive are there just to fill out the roster for when the UN inspectors come knocking.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
This is nothing, they still execute dissenters to the tune of around 10,000 a year in the interior.

The Chinese get really pissed off when you talk about "Human Rights." If you ask them, they would call them "Western Rights", and thus, not applicable in the territory they are trying to carve out. (See South China sea claims, Taiwan, Tibet)

I wouldn't worry too much about them from a military standpoint, hardware is all second and third rate and they make too much money to start something they know they can't finish.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
fletch_talon said:
Tom Goldman said:
in her words, he was "afraid of hardship, had weak willpower and not enough self-confidence."
Witnesses say a Beiteng instructor and two others beat Chen with a wooden baton, handcuffs, and a plastic pipe when he refused to run during a training session.
Yeah good one mum. Cuz you know a kid is weak willed when grown men have to beat him to death to make him do what they want.

I wish China would just completely sever ties to the outside world. I'm usually the one to argue with people yelling "censorship! George Orwell saw it coming! Don't sacrifice freedom for safety!" like paranoid fools. But even I find the Chinese government's lust for control disgusting.
Honestly I suspect some iffy translation in what the mother said, but even so the kid was clearly not lacking in willpower.

Granted there are shady "camps" for fatties in the US too but WTF China.
I'd be willing to overlook it as a fluke if there had been only one reported case, but two now? I suspect this is not a coincidence.
Hooray for losing another precious amount of faith in humanity.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
xXAsherahXx said:
Oh china, you and the way you are the worst country on earth. With all the pollution in the world, terrible laws, and the way you discourage every type of human unlike what you perceive to be the Aryan race.
Aryan race? Erhmmm....what?

How exactly is it China's fault for these camps? It's a 'discipline camp'. All discipline camps are the same, doesn't matter where they are. I'm not trying to defend the beating of people, it makes me sick, but saying "silly China" when someone is beaten to death is a little absurd.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Why are all you dorks blaming "china" when you should be blaming "three individuals at the camp". Did you miss the part where the police where investigating, because this sort of crap is AGAINST the law in China?

Seriously people, it's not like Guantanamo Bay where it's government sanctioned like the United States.

xXAsherahXx said:
Oh china, you and the way you are the worst country on earth. With all the pollution in the world, terrible laws, and the way you discourage every type of human unlike what you perceive to be the Aryan race.

I don't hate the Chinese, just the government of china. I just want to make that clear.
Is this a government-run school? If not, what does the Chinese government have anything to do with the death of this individual?
Finally, thank you.

Feb 11, 2009
Umm... you realize that those camps are not official establishments but rather privately owned "schools" that are catering to a newly developed demand? It is rather similar to the detox complexes that sprung up around the US not so long ago, with the difference being in the levels of brutality.

Don't blame "China" for it, the issue is much more complex and specific than that.

Also, metting hundreds of Chinese parents a year, I've never seen one stupid enough to force a kid to go to one of those places. It actually involves breaking the law (not going to the public school) to enroll them there.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
FargoDog said:
In all seriousness, this is genuinely disturbing. And my dad wants me to do some work in China next year. Christ.
Rather China than America it's that bad.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
AxCx said:
Diligent said:
"So uh...if anybody asks, he got too much sun."
Solid cover story dudes.
Indeed.
Stay classy, China.
You can't spell class without ass

What?
rapidoud said:
FargoDog said:
In all seriousness, this is genuinely disturbing. And my dad wants me to do some work in China next year. Christ.
Rather China than America it's that bad.
List a reason or you are just babbling

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Doesn't seem over the top really, as I recall plenty of American kids are sent to die in survival/military camps for all sorts of reasons.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Steve5513 said:
Can't the UN tell the chinese to investigate these camps or something?
The UN couldn't stop America from attacking Iraq, after the inspection proved that there were no hidden weapons of mass destruction, you think they can crack down on China?
I am starting to loose faith in the United Nations, they seem like a charity organization these days.