Secret Service Apologizes for Insulting Fox on Twitter

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
SuperNova221 said:
I found it more odd that the Secret Service has a public twitter account. Why would they do that?

It's only a small mistake though, and quite amusing. No harm was done, it's not as if it's rare for people to insult Fox.
For the same reasons that the Federal Bureau of Investigations has a twitter account. And the Department of Defense. And several hundred Members of Congress. And the White House Press Secretary. To publicize information that they believe is of interest to the public.

Check 'em out, if you'd like to, at http://twitter.com/#!/secretservice

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
MetaKnight19 said:
Funny as this is, why do the U.S. Secret Service have a Twitter account? OK it's not uncommon for companies to use Twitter nowadays, but an organisation like this you would have thought wouldn't have a Twitter account, or at least have someone responsible to use it.
Despite the weird name, the Secret Service isn't some sort of secret cloak-and-dagger intelligence organization. That's more the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Security Agency. Most of what they do isn't even protecting the President and other government officials. It's mostly investigating counterfeiting (it was originally part of the Treasury Department before they moved it over to the Department of Homeland Security).

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
For once I'm rooting for the guys lurking in the shadows that know everything there is to know about me.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Let's see how Foxnews blows this completely out of proportion and wait for the formula on how it means President Obama is Hitler.

Calling it now.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
Funny as this is, why do the U.S. Secret Service have a Twitter account? OK it's not uncommon for companies to use Twitter nowadays, but an organisation like this you would have thought wouldn't have a Twitter account, or at least have someone responsible to use it.
How else would you know the colour of todays threat level? if it's only beige I might risk going swimming, but if it's maroon then I wouldn't risk leaving the basement at all!

Fox news will just use it as fuel for their conspiracy complex, oh, the government are watching us, like the facists they are. Monitoring our freedom away!

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
JDKJ said:
MetaKnight19 said:
Despite the weird name, the Secret Service isn't some sort of secret cloak-and-dagger intelligence organization. That's more the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Security Agency. Most of what they do isn't even protecting the President and other government officials. It's mostly investigating counterfeiting (it was originally part of the Treasury Department before they moved it over to the Department of Homeland Security).
[sub]Damn that misleading name, making me look stupid...[/sub]

Thanks for enlightening me on that, but I think the basic point remains valid.

It's like if the UK parliament or the British Monarchy had a Twitter account. Oh wait...

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I really don't think they should have apologized to the demagogues of hatred over there at Fox, but this guy was pretty f'ing stupid to do what he did.
Seriously, when are people going to learn not to say completely stupid shit on public Twitter accounts that fucks up their careers?
Do they not realize that EVERYONE can see them?

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
googleback said:
SECRET service has a twitter account?

"FOUND BIN LADEN LOL"
"OMG, BOMB ON A TRAIN LOL! (link to a picture of them holding the bomb taken by holding a cameraphone sideways and taking a picture of the mirror)"

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I would have left it up and said "It was an accident and it does not represent the feelings of the agency but we think it's funny and so we are just going to let it sit there taunting FOX news."

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Sikratua said:
Let me get this straight. The American Federal government..... is using taxpayer money..... Of which we don't have enough to pay for the other things that this country pays for..... to create and pay for a section of the government..... that does nothing but post on Twitter..... for a section of the government..... that has the word "Secret" in its name.

Just let that sink in for a minute, guys. Is it in yet? Good. Now, I can get on to the actual topic.

I really don't give a shit what people think of Fox News. It just doesn't matter. Whether you think they are right or wrong, look at the big picture, for a moment. The Federal government is now investigating a section of the media (read also as "the press.") because that section does not agree with the rest of the media about the effectiveness of the government. If that Twitter post is true, then the American government is actively trying to subvert the First Ammendment. And why? Because some people don't particularly lke Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly's opinion shows. News flash, people. Those shows are NOT reporting the news. They are on the schedule solely as opinion shows, in the exact same way that Keith Olbermann was on MSNBC.

Then again, Keith Olbermann...... That really does bring up a different spin. People still like to ***** and moan about George W. Bush for everything that happens in America. So, let's bring up the ghost of a dead Administration. If this had happened in 2006, and a member of the Secret Service openly declared that the Secret Service was investigating MSNBC, solely because of "blathering"..... Do I even need to finish that question? (Did you like the segue into that question? I thought it might have been a bit forced, but I had to do something to present the comparison.)

Reed Spacer said:
It's only Fox; it's not like they matter or anything.
You show your idiocy with this comment. So, let me ask you directly. Exactly why does Fox "not matter?" Come on, man. Bring me actual examples of what makes Fox News biased. But, I'm forced to give one rule. Those examples have to be from actual reporting on the network. You're not allowed to use Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, or Sean Hannity. Those have never been shows about reporting the news. They have always been opinion based shows. It's the same reason that I don't use Keith Olbermann to show bias on MSNBC.
Um, no. The secret service agent wasn't investigating the blathering, he was watching the news and tweeted about how he'd rather be watching something with less blathering. And, sorry, when a channel explicitly uses right-wing talking points to set the tone of its discourse, it has given up all claims to being unbiased.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Kahuna, there's one major problem with your logic. And, this problem seems to apply to most of the people on this site. You're working with the assumption that CNN and MSNBC represent the middle of the road. And, working off of that assumption, you assume that anything to the right of what you believe is that "center base" is inherantly "right wing."

The fact of the matter is that, yes, Fox News does represent the center-right (in the case of Bill O'Reilly) to the far right (with Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck). However, the actual reporting of the news was rather centrist. What you're talking about is the fact that a Fox News reporter will say that they disagree with an Obama policy, and call that "right wing reporting." A single personal opinion is not bias. No. a charge of "bias" must be based around the way that the story is presented. "Bias" is intended to draw an emotional responce.

Perhaps you'll be kind enough to watch this video, to get a more direct look at what I'm refering to.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Sikratua said:
Let me get this straight. The American Federal government..... is using taxpayer money..... Of which we don't have enough to pay for the other things that this country pays for..... to create and pay for a section of the government..... that does nothing but post on Twitter..... for a section of the government..... that has the word "Secret" in its name.

Just let that sink in for a minute, guys. Is it in yet? Good. Now, I can get on to the actual topic.

I really don't give a shit what people think of Fox News. It just doesn't matter. Whether you think they are right or wrong, look at the big picture, for a moment. The Federal government is now investigating a section of the media (read also as "the press.") because that section does not agree with the rest of the media about the effectiveness of the government. If that Twitter post is true, then the American government is actively trying to subvert the First Ammendment. And why? Because some people don't particularly lke Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly's opinion shows. News flash, people. Those shows are NOT reporting the news. They are on the schedule solely as opinion shows, in the exact same way that Keith Olbermann was on MSNBC.

Then again, Keith Olbermann...... That really does bring up a different spin. People still like to ***** and moan about George W. Bush for everything that happens in America. So, let's bring up the ghost of a dead Administration. If this had happened in 2006, and a member of the Secret Service openly declared that the Secret Service was investigating MSNBC, solely because of "blathering"..... Do I even need to finish that question? (Did you like the segue into that question? I thought it might have been a bit forced, but I had to do something to present the comparison.)

Reed Spacer said:
It's only Fox; it's not like they matter or anything.
You show your idiocy with this comment. So, let me ask you directly. Exactly why does Fox "not matter?" Come on, man. Bring me actual examples of what makes Fox News biased. But, I'm forced to give one rule. Those examples have to be from actual reporting on the network. You're not allowed to use Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, or Sean Hannity. Those have never been shows about reporting the news. They have always been opinion based shows. It's the same reason that I don't use Keith Olbermann to show bias on MSNBC.
An example? How about the fact they railed against Mass Effect for having an "alien sex simulation scene", Despite admitting they never actually played the game.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
linkvegeta said:
you know for a secret service..... they are not very secret.
Ya know, that was exactly what went through my mind when I saw the title...

Did someone forget what "secret" means? Or did we enter an age where the internet is so ubiquitous that "secret" means it ONLY has a twitter and facebook page?