Secret Service Apologizes for Insulting Fox on Twitter

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Let's check the wording.

"Alien..." Yup. She's an alien. Next.

"..Sex..." Yup. That happens in the scene.

"..Simulation.." Yup. It's simulated.

"..Scene." Yup. It's a cutscene.

I don't see the problem with the wording. Don't get me wrong. I think that it's rather idiotic for the media to ***** and moan about video games, in any format. Especially since doing so distracts from the actual news of the day.

So, on that point, I watched the actual scene to which you've refered. In this scene, the host brought out a person on each side of the issue, and allowed them to speak. Hell, if I'm honest, the first question she asked the guy from Spike TV (who was defending Mass Effect) was a easy question for anyone who's done any research. The host herself presented herself as being on the side of the gamer in this video. She actively encouraged doing research and making an informed decision.

I will admit, however, that the people doing the bitching in that video are fucking hilarious. However, to the best of my knowledge, none of those people actually employed by Fox News. I could be wrong about that, but I'd never seen them before. You really are making a fuss about nothing on that one. The video I saw seemed to dismiss that arguement outright, and say that parents should actually look at what they buy for their kids. But, I understand. That's horrible advice, right?

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Sikratua said:
Let's check the wording.

"Alien..." Yup. She's an alien. Next.

"..Sex..." Yup. That happens in the scene.

"..Simulation.." Yup. It's simulated.

"..Scene." Yup. It's a cutscene.

I don't see the problem with the wording. Don't get me wrong. I think that it's rather idiotic for the media to ***** and moan about video games, in any format. Especially since doing so distracts from the actual news of the day.

So, on that point, I watched the actual scene to which you've refered. In this scene, the host brought out a person on each side of the issue, and allowed them to speak. Hell, if I'm honest, the first question she asked the guy from Spike TV (who was defending Mass Effect) was a easy question for anyone who's done any research. The host herself presented herself as being on the side of the gamer in this video. She actively encouraged doing research and making an informed decision.

I will admit, however, that the people doing the bitching in that video are fucking hilarious. However, to the best of my knowledge, none of those people actually employed by Fox News. I could be wrong about that, but I'd never seen them before. You really are making a fuss about nothing on that one. The video I saw seemed to dismiss that arguement outright, and say that parents should actually look at what they buy for their kids. But, I understand. That's horrible advice, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU
0:20-0:45 and 4:20 and after are all people hired by fox. Specifically, I'd like to point out 0:20-0:45, where she very clearly is making false claims about the game. Sure, she more less stayed out of the debate, but she very clearly made serious accusation against it without doing her research, which is something that happens fairly frequently on Fox. You also don't seem to be aware that she apologized for what she did, but there was never anything on the program, or fox's main site to my knowledge, informing its viewers that the horribly damning claims that were made were in fact false. Which is probably why you didn't know she did that.

*edit* Posted an incomplete version due to forgetting to copy over from wordpad

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I freakin' love this! Epic win, Secret service... epic win.

At least you don't have to monitor The View!

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
so we live in a world where one has to APOLOGIZE for insulting fox news?
wow..what has mankind come to..

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Okay, let's try this again. The first part of the video set up the topic of discussion. She was not giving an opinion on the topic. She was simply saying what they were going to talk about. Granted, she should have worded it better. But, at no point in the intro did she give her own opinion. But, when someone looks for a conspiracy, they can find them everywhere. This is why people need to see all of what happens before making a decision.

"ZOMG! She said something about a video game! Call her an idiot, and don't watch it all." Seriously, that's a counter-productive way to look at any issue. Having watched the entire video, the host was on our side. I use "our," under the assumption that you also play video games, since you brought up this issue.

But, seriously, I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to figure out who any of the four people in that second panel were. Maybe you can help me out. Who the hell were those people? Give me some names.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Korak the Mad said:
Irridium said:
Mistake? But thats true about FOX.

I bet FOX doesn't like it because its fact, and they don't like facts.
So true. So very true.

They're always right and everybody in the world is always wrong.
They would like to think they know everything, but they're mostly wrong.
So why did they have to apologize?

Everyone makes fun of Fox News on Twitter... even the Fox News tweets. Ever read some of them? Hilarious shit... with emphasis on the shit.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Sikratua said:
Let me get this straight. The American Federal government..... is using taxpayer money..... Of which we don't have enough to pay for the other things that this country pays for..... to create and pay for a section of the government..... that does nothing but post on Twitter..... for a section of the government..... that has the word "Secret" in its name.

Just let that sink in for a minute, guys. Is it in yet? Good. Now, I can get on to the actual topic.

I really don't give a shit what people think of Fox News. It just doesn't matter. Whether you think they are right or wrong, look at the big picture, for a moment. The Federal government is now investigating a section of the media (read also as "the press.") because that section does not agree with the rest of the media about the effectiveness of the government..... etc
The people on Fox news have gone insane from eating batshit cornflakes every morning. It's right that the government is monitoring them just in case they decide to do anything really crazy like think sarah palin can provide intelligent analysis.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
-|- said:
The people on Fox news have gone insane from eating batshit cornflakes every morning. It's right that the government is monitoring them just in case they decide to do anything really crazy like think sarah palin can provide intelligent analysis.
She can, she has, and even if you disagree with that, there's still nothing in your post that explains why the Federal government should be entitled to investigate the media in this country, for any reason.

One another note, that part where you just clipped out the rest of the point I made, so that you could throw a random insult toward Sarah Palin without having to actually answer anything raised.... Yeah. That was cute. Hell, you even included the first part of what I put in, which was the real point I was trying to make, without actually responding to it. Good the fuck on you, man. What are you going to do for an encore?

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Sikratua said:
Okay, let's try this again. The first part of the video set up the topic of discussion. She was not giving an opinion on the topic. She was simply saying what they were going to talk about. Granted, she should have worded it better. But, at no point in the intro did she give her own opinion. But, when someone looks for a conspiracy, they can find them everywhere. This is why people need to see all of what happens before making a decision.

"ZOMG! She said something about a video game! Call her an idiot, and don't watch it all." Seriously, that's a counter-productive way to look at any issue. Having watched the entire video, the host was on our side. I use "our," under the assumption that you also play video games, since you brought up this issue.

But, seriously, I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to figure out who any of the four people in that second panel were. Maybe you can help me out. Who the hell were those people? Give me some names.
She said it was leaving nothing to the imagination. Full digital nudity. The ability for the players to engage in graphic sex and the person who's playing the game gets to decide exactly what's going to happen between the two people if you know what I mean.

This is not saying something bad about a videogame. This is portraying to a mass audience, under the guise of news, that the game was in fact a sex-simulator. And frankly, this has less to do with videogames than it does someone on a news program reporting information that came from, according to her own statements after the fact, a single friend she trusted the opinion of. And either no-one else that was part of Fox News checked the information first or didn't care that it was false. That's a massive lack of journalistic integrity.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Sikratua said:
She can, she has
Hahahaha.... Seriously, hahahaha.

Sikratua said:
and even if you disagree with that, there's still nothing in your post that explains why the Federal government should be entitled to investigate the media in this country, for any reason.
Have you possibly thought that perhaps you don't have all the information about what they are doing and are just jumping to conclusions without having the full context. You know, you could actually work for fox with that kind of philosophy on things.

Edit: btw it was monitor, not investigate. The intelligence agencies in most countries monitor all sorts of media - some domestic, some foreign.

Sikratua said:
One another note, that part where you just clipped out the rest of the point I made...
And what was your point again? Government = bad, fox = good was it. Ok, whatever floats your boat.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
-|- said:
Sikratua said:
She can, she has
Hahahaha.... Seriously, hahahaha.
Ooh..... Insults intended to shy away from actively discussing a topic. Innovative.

Have you possibly thought that perhaps you don't have all the information about what they are doing and are just jumping to conclusions without having the full context. You know, you could actually work for fox with that kind of philosophy on things.
"Hello, Pot. My name's Kettle. What's that? I'm black? Have you looked in a mirror lately?" Let me ask you one simple question. "When's the last time you actually watched Fox News?" Hell, I wouldn't mind getting an answer to that from everyone who's ripping on that network.

And what was your point again? Government = bad, fox = good was it. Ok, whatever floats your boat.
Well, if I'm forced to reduce myself to speaking in this way, so that you can actually understand, I guess I must. "Double Standard = Bad." But, since you were intentionally blind to that obvious point, there's really no way to say anything that will convince you of basic logic. Frankly, I'm done trying. The only bad part is that you'll see that as a victory, and cheer about how you frustrated away an actual debate with your sheer stupidity.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
The Secret Service also goes after computer hackers, as crossover from their Treasury duties. Or they did as of the film Hackers.

See, that agent should have posted "Some people say FOX News is nothing but blathering" and it would have been fine. It works for FOX:

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Sikratua said:
Ok, I'll bite, given that you actually want to be taken seriously over a story that in reality should just be amusing.

You know the intelligence agencies in every country monitor the media from all sorts of places foreign and domestic. In this case you have no idea why they are doing it, what the actual story was - it might simply have been to independently verify something that had occurred somewhere - we just don't know. All you've done is put up a self-righteously indignant and reactionary post about how the government shouldn't be "investigating" fox when you have no evidence that that is actually what is going on. Talk about your typical straw-man.

You septics, sometimes you really need to lighten up a bit.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Sikratua said:
"Hello, Pot. My name's Kettle. What's that? I'm black? Have you looked in a mirror lately?" Let me ask you one simple question. "When's the last time you actually watched Fox News?" Hell, I wouldn't mind getting an answer to that from everyone who's ripping on that network.
About a week ago. For the most part I spend Saturday watching unedited clips from various news programs and checking around the internet for other sources of news. I like to have a wide-base to draw information from in order to have a well informed opinion about current events from. I also like to check sources to try and make sure the information I'm finding is reliable.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Everybody insults Fox News... It's fucking Fox News.

I'm wondering why the "Secret" Service has a twitter account?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Given that these are people who have to stand between the president and bullets fired by conspiracy theorists who've been pushed over the edge, I would expect their official line on Fox News to be a lot harsher, actually.

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
I didn't know the secret service had a sense of humor...or a twitter account.