Sen. Leland Yee Offers Holiday Shopping Advice for Parents

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sen. Leland Yee Offers Holiday Shopping Advice for Parents

California Senator Leland Yee has released his holiday shopping guide for parents and I bet you'll never guess what's on it!

In all fairness to Senator Yee, I think most of us would agree with him that M-rated videogames are not for kids. Six-year-old children should not be playing Urging Parents to Avoid Violent Videogames When Holiday Shopping For Kids [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HAC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322154656&sr=8-1]" consists of a defense of the California videogame law that was overturned by the Supreme Court earlier this year and claims that studies have proven a connection between violent videogames and increased aggression.

"It is vitally important that parents and grandparents consider the content in videogames before making holiday purchases," he said. "There is significant evidence demonstrating ultra-violent videogames have negative effects on children, and can cause real behavioral changes."

He does eventually come up with a few points of advice for parents buying games for their children:

Be aware of advertising and marketing to children. Advertising pressure contributes to impulse buying.
Check the age ratings and video game descriptors found on the box. Read other reviews, such as www.parentstv.org [http://www.commonsensemedia.org]
Become familiar with the game.
If there are violence and sexual themes in the title or cover picture, you can assume these themes are also in the game.
Avoid 'first person shooter' and 'third person shooter' games, which usually focus on gunning down hundreds of people.
Discourage games that reward the player with more points or new scenes for anti-social and violent behavior.

Some of the points are most definitely valid; parents should be familiar with the games they're buying for their kids or at the very least pay attention to ESRB age ratings and content descriptors. But I question the need to make them quite so apocalyptically. Can we not say that some videogames aren't for small children without also claiming that exposure will turn them into raving ax murderers?

Yee also put together a list of "bestselling violent videogames" that parents are urged to avoid: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Assassins Creed: Revelations, Saints Row 3, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, LOTR War in the North, Dark Souls, Dues Ex: Human Revolution, Gears of War 3, Rage, Dead Island, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, House of the Dead: Overkill Extended Cut, and Resistance 3. Be sure to show it to your kids so they can pick out which ones they want.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/11/23/leland-yee-offers-holiday-shopping-advice-parents]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
And that's how the Grinch tried to steal Christmas but no-one gave a fuck.

Seriously, is anyone going to take gift advice for others from their Senator?

Calumon: Give everyone cakes!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
In between the dragons, the trolls, the undead and the mudcrabs, I forget that Skyrim is actually pretty violent. Credit to Bethesda for making decapitation seem like a more efficient method of getting past the bad guys.

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
The last tip rules out almost all games.
Anti-sosial and violent behavior, the very essence of modern gaming.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
So, this guy also says not to take them to a movie where anybody gets a boo-boo, right? Or one of those depraved books with sexual content and violence masquerading as literature?
What? It's only video games? Funny, that...

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
All things considered, I think what was reprinted here is pretty reasonable advice. Most of the stuff on that list is rated "T" or "M" to start with, so it isn't intended for kids.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
Stekepanne5 said:
Maybe that's true on Xbox Live, but it doesn't mean it's valid everywhere. \

The senator comes off as trying too hard - he's harming his own message with hyperbole, which is a shame since he does have some common sense points mixed in there.

There's very little equivalent foaming at the mouth over R and NC-17 rated films as potential "training tools for axe murderers", and that's really no different. Buy your kids something from the Disney section perhaps...

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Nothing wrong with someone voicing their personal opinions. The only problem I have is when media figures banally quote "research" that video games make people violent, when it should be well known by now that this research his unconfirmed, unsubstantiated, and poorly done to begin with.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I have to agree with the advice (but obviously not the sentiment that the only way to keep such games out of children's hands is to ban them); the question is who is this aimed at? Are there still people who think that all games are aimed at children?

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
joe-h2o said:
Stekepanne5 said:
Maybe that's true on Xbox Live, but it doesn't mean it's valid everywhere. \

The senator comes off as trying too hard - he's harming his own message with hyperbole, which is a shame since he does have some common sense points mixed in there.

There's very little equivalent foaming at the mouth over R and NC-17 rated films as potential "training tools for axe murderers", and that's really no different. Buy your kids something from the Disney section perhaps...
I argee, I was simply refering to the BIG games of 2011 (or even the last few years).
Even as these games are not ment for kids, suprisingly many get their hands on them, and while we could reduse the number of kids that did, som always would.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Shame, the list started out quite nicely:
-Be aware of advertising and marketing to children. Advertising pressure contributes to impulse buying.
-Check the age ratings and video game descriptors found on the box.
-Become familiar with the game.
-If there are violence and sexual themes in the title or cover picture, you can assume these themes are also in the game.
These are all good points, and certainly not reactionary. This is what being an informed consumer is about. The rest (and the review site suggestions) are stupid though.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Honestly, he's not wrong. Have to take each case individually but I find these to be fairly sensible guidelines if you're buying for a child.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I agree that parents should be aware of the content of the video games they buy for their kids. Mature rated games are rated as such for a reason. If you don't want your kid playing a violent video game, don't get it for them. I get parents at work who buy mature rated games because they feel obligated to because "it's what their kids want" rather than saying no.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
the 'buyers guide' is good advice ..... right up to the last one, maybe two depending on your own set of guide lines. but then its little secret California hates video games so nothing new, or even worth bringing up here.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Stekepanne5 said:
Honestly, I feel that the anti social behaviour associated with gaming is a thing that came along with xbox live and matchmaking. I played Counter Strike for years and became accustomed to the same server which had the same regulars playing on it. You get to know them, and have fun, joke around etc. Match making has made it so that the people you play with are never the same unless you have a large amount of friends who also play it. Gaming in general feels significantly less personal these days, in my opinion.

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Stekepanne5 said:
Honestly, I feel that the anti social behaviour associated with gaming is a thing that came along with xbox live and matchmaking. I played Counter Strike for years and became accustomed to the same server which had the same regulars playing on it. You get to know them, and have fun, joke around etc. Match making has made it so that the people you play with are never the same unless you have a large amount of friends who also play it. Gaming in general feels significantly less personal these days, in my opinion.
I see what you mean, this is (partly) why the multiplayer side of games like Minecraft has much better community than other games. The moment quick-play dissappears, people online have to "bond" to have fun.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
No biggie Mr. Yee, I'm not a parent (yet), but generally I'm the one who people want to get advice from and I certainly wouldn't recommend Call of Duty or Duke Nukem Forever for a 6 year old toddler.

There are plenty of good games this year that are rated E, so I'm not worried in the slightest.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Not mentioned on that little bit of shopping advice is that those games were not made for or intended to be played by younger children, but adult-age gamers. I thank you for trying to educate the masses nonetheless, Senator.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Well on the bright side he might cause Multiplayer Lobbies to be just a little bit more free of annoying 12-year-olds, but I highly doubt he's going to have a lot of effect on anyone's giftgiving choices.