Sen. Leland Yee Offers Holiday Shopping Advice for Parents

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Me: "Okay okay, list of games to avoid oh goodie. Wait what the hell's wrong with Lord of the Rings? He does know that that was a fucking movie trilogy and based off a book? Cause I never saw him complaining when those came out."

Uncharted is fine too. I thought when these people said these things they meant actual violent games like mindless mature themes and what not. Uncharted is just what would happen if Indiana Jones meets a video game.

SanguineSymphony

Jan 25, 2011
ServebotFrank said:
Me: "Okay okay, list of games to avoid oh goodie. Wait what the hell's wrong with Lord of the Rings? He does know that that was a fucking movie trilogy and based off a book? Cause I never saw him complaining when those came out."

Uncharted is fine too. I thought when these people said these things they meant actual violent games like mindless mature themes and what not. Uncharted is just what would happen if Indiana Jones meets a video game.
depends on the kid.

and UC has you shooting a shit ton of fuckers. its easier if you shoot em in the head. the riot shield is easy if you subdue it with a shotgun and go around and break the guy's neck...

its pulpy fun but I wouldn't blame a parent for buying their kid Zelda instead.

what you're targeting and how count for a lot.

as for FPS and TPS' most of those that are popular are kinda dicey too. Portal being an obvious exception (there are others too).

these are just guidelines for shitty parents. ones too self involved to look into their children's interests and invest time into researching the games themselves. hopefully some are just decent enough to see these and independently research their kids hobby.

Lots of the games mentioned are fine for tweens and possibly a little younger. but with a red flag raised the parent can do the rest on their own.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
In all fairness to the senator, those games really shouldn't be played by young childen, however any smart parent probably already knows that kiddies shouldn't play M-rated games.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Be aware of advertising and marketing to children. Advertising pressure contributes to impulse buying.
Check the age ratings and video game descriptors found on the box. Read other reviews, such as www.parentstv.org [http://www.commonsensemedia.org]
Become familiar with the game.
If there are violence and sexual themes in the title or cover picture, you can assume these themes are also in the game.
These are all perfectly reasonable, and already their to help parents know what they should or should not buy for their kids. I would make these recomdations.

Avoid 'first person shooter' and 'third person shooter' games, which usually focus on gunning down hundreds of people.
Discourage games that reward the player with more points or new scenes for anti-social and violent behavior.
And there is where he lost all pretenses of helping, and gave way to political pandering.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Senator gives thoughtful advice for Christmas shopping. That's nice.
Give him credit for not selling out his stance on videogames, but the guy seriously needs to fire his research team, as they are feeding him bad information. That or he is seriously demented and would do the public more good by quitting his job and joining Westboro Baptist Church. There he can be just as loud and annoying, but at least we can ignore him.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
"Studies have proven?" Which studies? By who?

Have an opinion if you want, but don't try to make it look like science. Science always comes back to bite those who misuse it.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Yes because Assassin's Creed instantly gave me the urge to go stab people in the neck and jump into a haycart from a 6 story building. It most certainly didn't teach me things about history that I didn't already know, either.

Fucking useless violence simulators...

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
So Cooking Mama for everyone then?

and I can think of some violent games not on that list... maybe I'll let santa know which ones to give the little kiddies!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, he's not saying "raving Ax murderers" and that kind of exagerration does nothing to credit the opposition. He's saying increased aggression. Of course then again since kids tend to be pretty violent and aggressive (being humans and all) that's generally a cop out for kids being kids in most cases.

He's wrong, but his basic arguement is that some kid playing a violent game might be more likely to see violence and anti-social behavior as an increasingly viable way to deal with problems. For example a kid playing a crime game winds up listening to the espoused code of ethics, winds up short on money, figures peope owe him, and winds up trying to rob a store where he shoots the clerk to steal his money. That kind of thing DOES happen, and it's frightening, while I disagree with him, Mr. Yee is argueing that it makes that kind of chain of events more likely.

Of course then again it can also be argued that with entrenched bureaucracy, a bad economy, and brutal and soulless corperations who control the system, providing no viable, socially acceptable solutions to problems, I think violence is increasingly on the rise due to people who would prefer to be peaceful realizing there is no alternative. Basically if you want to get something done, or get justice, you have to do it yourself, and that means going through people foricibly or using tactics of fear and violence rather than working cooperartively with them. After all your typical corperation just wants your money, and doesn't give a crap about you, and if they screw you out of it they have enough control over the system there is nothing you can do about it to recover.

... or simply the old criminal joke about "don't blame me, blame society" is becoming less of a joke with each passing year, and seeping down into the youth because the world is increasingly that F@cked up. This leads to the violence at increasingly young ages, as kids see the world around them and what they have to look forward to, not to mention dealing with draconian authority as soon as they can speak in terms of schools trying to regulate what they can wear, do, say, and think to an unprecedented degree.

Games aren't creating the violence, as much as I think they are a form of pop culture that mirrors what we're seeing in society with the wars, domestic situation, and increasingly mixed opinions about crime. While the "peace at any price" left wing attitude might disagree, I think ultra-violent war video games are becoming so popular in reflection to the realization that sometimes you just need to accept certain groups of people (yes entire groups) are bad and kill lots of them for your own reasons. Things like chasing down a terrorist subway bombing group and killing them bug those with left wing sentiments who would rather promote the idea of peacefully talking to these people, and turning the other cheek for example.

I'm probably not organizing or articulating this well, but also consider that it probably hasn't gone entirely unnoticed that you have major corperations as the bad guys in games like "Saint's Row 2". A lot of the behavior in that game (as over the top as it was) being justified by the corperation being bad, and there being no other real way to deal with them. Of course the doubtlessly intended irony of The Saints themselves becoming a huge business enforced by violence for the third game is probably overlooked.

The point is understand what the guy is actually saying and his motivations. He's talking about tendencies, trying to blame games for trends coming from a messed up society where the problems are too big and contreversial for guys like him to actually try and address. There are also political messages connected to it doubtlessly due to the attitudes expressed in those games and how the violence is used, when it runs counter to what the politicians want the youth to think. Despite a lot of anti-war/anti-nuke elements that are very leftis, games like Modern Warfare *DO* glorify war and properly present it as the appropriate solution to a lot of problems.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
He makes some valid points, you can't say that he doesn't just because he can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality when transposed against videogames.

I love it, lets take advice from a corrupt politician. Also, stealing things that don't belong to you is OK as long as you're wearing a police uniform... oh, and it's ok to mace nonviolent protesters. And, watching a murder but not intervening in some way is ok as long as you are a police officer as well. Just, watch out for video games, the true culprit to the problems with modern society.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I think it is perfectly reasonable to advice parents to be aware of what they are buying for their children and keep an eye on what the kids are playing.
What's not reasonable is trying have the government do parents' job.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Be aware of advertising and marketing to children. Advertising pressure contributes to impulse buying.
Good advice. Better advice? Remove "to children". Everyone would be better off if they thought about ads before succumbing to them.

Discourage games that reward the player with more points or new scenes for anti-social and violent behavior.
Absolutely! Mario should GENTLY stomp that Goomba! (Is anyone else reminded of the Foxtrot GTA parody "Nice City"? "I stepped on an ant, I gotta start over.")

Several media sources urge parents to avoid the following bestselling violent video games
So everything rated Mature, then? Well, crap, I was going to get my kid Call of Duty but I guess I'll just go with the original Predator movie instead, because it's not on the list! Rating? What's that? *Sigh.*

Dues Ex: Human Revolution
Starring Adam Jensen as an augmented blues guitarist who's paid his dues and just wants some love and recognition. I'm suddenly reminded of Judge Stephen Limbaugh, who complained about the violent video games "Mortal Combat" and "Resident of Evil Creek".

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I offer Leland Yee MY personal advice: Bend over and suck my dick.

Also, the ESA is calling for the funds you wasted on that piece of shit bill you wasted taxpayer money trying to violate the First Amendment with.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I love when people cite the video games cause violence research, but completely ignore the ones that say they don't cause violence of which there have been just as many, and more well done as well. Not to mention that most of the time when they see a change in a kid, that kid already had serious anger issues.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
But Skyrim is a great way to teach children that people don't like to be sword!

www.collegehumor.com/video/6652563/cute-little-girl-plays-skyrim

Also, I'd like to see the kid who asked for Dark Souls for Christmas

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Is it me of the photo is most definitely a trollface?

IMO we should remove ESRB totally. while it is not as bad as the MPAA, it does more damage than good anyway.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Okay well for the most part that isn't horrible advice. It consists mostly of "Hey parents, pay attention to what you are getting your kids you morons." and I'm all for that.
Up until the point when he mentions the "studies" did I actually take issue with it. Studies do not prove a damn until somepony backs it up with additional evidence.

For fun, here's an example: I once took a random poll of students and helped definitively prove that all women are gamers, and in fact all gamers are women.
This was done at complete random mind you.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
this is a mix of rediculous and sensible things.

Sensible: I agree with parts of this, there are some games little kids really shouldn't be playing, hence the age ratings. I also strongly agree that parents get familiar with games if they're going to be buying them for their kids.
You know how much of this complaining comes from parents that just blindly buy the games and never attempt to learn about them before hand? Too much.

Rediculous: Some typical sweeping generalities and lumping Skyrim in a list of games for them to be warned about. If anything children should be required to play Skyrim if not already doing so.