Senate Candidate Attacked Over World of Warcraft

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Imagination: Now confirmed to be considered by other politicians to be a bad quality in Politicians

God forbid she has an imagination in a job where you have to imagine solutions to problems.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
or point-and-despair
Mostly this for me, and I'm not even American. The fact that video game habits is turning political is mind blowing.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Falterfire said:
If you've been through the country, you'll acknowledge that wherever you go, people are pretty much people: Mostly normal, sane people you wouldn't mind spending an afternoon with. Keeping that in mind, remember that a large percentage of people in certain areas support the Republican party.

You have chosen to instantly dismiss every single person in the Republican party as a idiotic barely functioning simpleton. This means that you are taking the stance that automatically Republican=Stupid. You are instantly dismissing an entire, millions strong (Not hyperbole: See election results) party as ignorant rednecks.

On that note: I am a Republican, and I am an atheist, and I support gay rights. Aren't stereotypes counterproductive?
I just want to jump in here and ask, if you are indeed an atheist and support gay rights, why on earth do you support the Republican party? It's all very well to criticise people for stereotyping, but think for a second: you are personally going out there and saying that you support the people who, in every news article I see on the topic, are progressively only in the sense that they are seeking new ways to be completely anti social, selfish and retarded. You can't then turn around and say 'don't judge me by what my favourite political party believes in!' because you have announced that you believe in it too, by proxy of supporting them in their bid to lead the country.

It is ENTIRELY legitimate to make judgements about people based on their support of a political party. No-one makes you sign up to support these people - to do so is an affirmation that what they say speaks for what you believe in.

That's one of the reasons I'm quite unlikely to vote in the next UK elections - the Conservatives what to sell the country to the highest bidder and pocket the proceeds - to hell with anyone not in their club; the Lib Dems slipped in on broken pledges, made a pact with the Devil, and now think that they can retain support on more promises to not carry on doing what they've spent the last two years doing, and Labour have suddenly realised that for ten years they did fuck all, and in retrospect undoing some of the damage from the last Conservative government would have been a better idea than getting rid of all the money - and naturally, now they'll "pledge" to sort it all out. We've seen where that gets the electorate...

Rant aside, if you don't want to be tarred with the same brush, doing lean on their wall (or however that metaphor works out...)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Has she responded to any of this? It'd be interesting to see if she gets embarrassed about it or sticks her head up and says; so what? it's the 21st century.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
She should run with this! Get the youth vote!

"Vote Lachowicz! Dickpunch Arthas!"

She ought to bring a crazy fantasy display dagger to the debate and ram it in her podium and grin at her opponent.

She could also spin it as being in touch with more of the world than her opponent.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I suppose she should've rolled a Hunter. You know how much Republicans fetishize guns. [/politicalhumor]
Elate said:
Possible state senator that plays WoW? That would equal a vote for me.
Same here. Remember how it turned out that an official for the US Embassy in Libya (who was sadly killed in the attack it suffered last month) was also a high-level officer in EVE Online's Goonsquad? Just because someone plays video games doesn't make them irresponsible, mentally deficient or prone to violence.

[small]Hell, I'm more worried about politicians who brag about hunting. "I need to prove my manhood by killing things that can't defend themselves! Wanna hear about my foreign policy?"[/small]

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Falterfire said:
Well, that was my point. I have two choices: Vote for a candidate that I only halfway support, or do what amounts to setting my vote on fire and watching it burn. Sure I could take the moral high ground and vote for what I believe in, but an empty symbolic gesture isn't much better than voting for the guy I hate least.
You know what's also an empty symbolic gesture? Voting for someone you don't even support, because you think the other guy's worse when in reality, both are just as bad. It's merely boiled down to the 'flavor' of bad you desire. The current American first-past-the-post system is naturally inclined to devolve into two major parties due to political strategizing and is completely broken as a form of democracy. After Perot nearly upturned the apple cart, the two major parties instituted election laws that make a third party or independent candidate an even more remote possibility than it was before.

In essence, I think voting in the current American system is completely pointless - even more so than 'throwing your vote away' by voting third party for someone you actually agree with. The two major parties are great at attacking the other side and not so great at actually accomplishing anything other than bombing the shit out of the Middle East and honestly they can't even get that right. They're also great at turning regular people against eachother by making them chant 'BLUE TEAM BLUE TEAM!' or 'RED TEAM RED TEAM!' and being absolutely vile to anyone who's fan of a different color than they are.

Power-hungry rich oligarch A or power-hungry rich oligarch B is an illusion of choice. When someone tells someone else not to vote, what I usually hear folks say in reply is 'If you don't vote, you give up the right to be heard'. I say instead, if I do vote for either of the two evils just because one has a more pleasing shape to me, aren't I instead perpetuating this horribly broken system and implicitly endorsing it by playing along? Participating in a corrupt system run by corrupt political parties does not make my voice 'heard' - after all, even if I don't choose, I've still made a choice. I don't see that changing until they add a 'None of the above' to the ballot.

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I'm hoping that more than half the people who receive those mailings go: "Whoa, awesome!" and change their vote in favor of her.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
OH NO! A SENATOR CLICKS A HOYKEY THAT MAKES A CHARACTER SWIPE A BUNCH OF POLYGONS THAT RESEMBLE A KNIFE IN A CARTOONY GAME THAT IS ALMOST A DECADE OLD!

THIS MADNESS MUST BE STOPPED! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! DX

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Both maybe?

I like "deaths per second". I think the only time you can measure that would be clearing trash mobs in a raid.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
She'd have my vote. I'm not American, though.

Also, was that the Republicans that put in "Deaths Per Second"? Any serious player would know that that DPS is DAMAGE Per Second.

Captcha: marital aid

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand?

Who really cares what she does in her spare time. Checked her armory page - apart from a recent activity surge, she hasn't been active in about a year (probably to focus on her election), and she's no raider - she's not even out of 346 gear yet.

Look for yourself here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/garrosh/Santiaga/simple

I see this backfiring horribly. She'll probably get support from local gamers.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
So she lost the paranoid shut-in vote. ouch
Don't forget about a good portion of the octogenarian vote, most old people I meet have a hard time rapping their brains around the hobby.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Oh noes, someone plays an MMO in their leisure time.

The people who put together that website need to grow the fuck up.

Yosarian2

Jan 29, 2011
That's it. When I vote this year, I'm going wearing bright green orc makeup. And if any journalist or pollster asks me how I voted when I come out of the booth,I'm just going to yell FOR THE HOARD at them.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
So she loses the over 50 vote and gains the youth. Good job republican website you gained a handful of new votes while loosing a bunch of others.