Serious things you just can't take seriously

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
So I've been watching the show Broadchurch on netflix and I realized that I can't take British court dramas, or the British legal system in general seriously.

Why's that you ask?

Well, British judges and lawyers wear stupid powered wigs and I just can't get over it.

Look at this silly costume party bullshit:

British people, how has this survived in your legal system for so long? How do you not just burst out laughing when you enter a court room?

So, what are things that you can't take seriously even though you're apparently supposed to?
Austalia uses the same thing, my guess is because we grow up seeing it, they becomes less outlandish and more just a part of the landscape. Doesn't mean I don't think it's kind of silly but fact remains the man in the silly powdered wig is a Judge who can decide my fate. That probably drains the comedy a bit.

In my case, U.S. Super churches. I get they're an Evangelical minority thing but for fuck sake why? Super Carriers I get, Super/Mega churches not so much.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Beefeater guards. I don't think anybody takes them seriously though.
Goofy uniform perhaps, but they're still serving members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces so that mockery is at your own peril.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
The whole popular music industry. Popular artists not writing their own songs, Marilyn Manson looking like a chubby Nicholas Cage, Nikki Minaj having a fake butt. Once you realise every metal band is just a bunch of man-children dressing up and running around on stage on coke, the game changes. As much as I love the bands, some of them I just can't take seriously.

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
May I intoduce you to the protectors of the Vatican City, the Swiss Guards? -

Even when they're not in full dress uniform, they look like they're escapees from a Costume Party:

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Spider RedNight said:
Also I'm glad you feel like you should pursue a career in that field, more power to ya. I seriously lack the empathy to care about what other people think or feel.
Only reason I can deal with people in that field is that I understand the difficulty of living with a fucked brain chemistry. Still there are plenty of folks who make my social anxiety itch like a ************ because of their crappy attitudes. The thing that bugs me is I've run into people who are getting treatment but don't take the shit seriously. It just bothers me because I don't see the point of showing up if you're not going to do the work.
In the mental health field, you can't "fake it til you make it" because you get no benefits from half-assing. And the other thing they need to realize is that there's no magical cure-all, you can only mitigate symptoms and deal with flare-ups. But you can't expect everything to go away.
Its not an easy road, and I get that folks can get disheartened by the strength it takes to push on through day-by-day. I just feel that one should take the endeavor seriously if one is going to get their head straightened out enough to function, else its a waste of time and money to get therapy and not do the work involved.
I guess its akin to buying the tools and materials to build a house but expecting the house to build itself and the tools to do the work on their own.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Life? Or is that too easy an answer?

I mean, not that I'm going full Camus-levels of "Life is absurd!" but sheesh lighten up people. Us Westerners/affluent people that is. People living in deadly, awful areas are errr, excused for obvious reasons.

Just as easy an answer would be not simply US politics, but the 2016 Primaries specifically. Mainly because, well...

It's absurd. Farcical, even. Even though I should take it seriously because that shit is dangerous. I've been listening to some stuff from the Republican debates, and even some of the Democratic debates, and what gets shouted around there, not just by Trump, is just so insane and out of touch with reality that I can't help but laugh at the craziness of it all.

Yet there's a fair chance that someone with insane ideas like that gets to run the most powerful nation on the planet and inadvertedly having a large effect on my life, someone not even living close to the US, as well. Hell that fact alone is so absurd I can't help but laugh. We're all up in arms about democracy here in the West but in the end the world as a whole looks like nothing else than a failed state.

Silentpony said:
I'm sorry but getting punched in the face will all be more serious than harassing tweets.
Say that to the people who committed suicide over it. No, getting punched in the face is not worse than having your mind fucked with and getting completely ostracized and isolated. They're both terrible things, I'm a bit of a stickler for that kinda stuff.
CeeBod said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
May I intoduce you to the protectors of the Vatican City, the Swiss Guards? -

Even when they're not in full dress uniform, they look like they're escapees from a Costume Party:

If we're going on a roll with those, what about the Greek honour guards then:

Guys, what's with the shoe-pompoms? I mean, really?

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Goofy uniform perhaps, but they're still serving members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces so that mockery is at your own peril.
Incorrect I'm afraid. You seem to be confusing the Beefeaters, who 'guard' the Tower of London, with the Queen's Guard/Queen's Life Guard, who guard the Royal residences. The former are retired soldiers, while the latter are serving members of one of the Guards Regiments.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Megalodon said:
Gordon_4 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Incorrect I'm afraid. You seem to be confusing the Beefeaters, who 'guard' the Tower of London, with the Queen's Guard/Queen's Life Guard, who guard the Royal residences. The former are retired soldiers, while the latter are serving members of one of the Guards Regiments.
Whoops, my bad. Sorry Johnny Novgorod, got my shit confused. Still, I'm not telling them the uniform looks stupid.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
The royal guard have a great uniform, but the bearskin hat looks like they are being eaten by a tribble.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
8 and 9-string guitars. Well, most of the time. You see these guys trying to look tough as hell with these ironing boards with strings on them and then when it comes time for them to play some chunky riffs, all they do is chug away on the lowest string.

Also most technical death metal, especially if they have pretentious "cosmic" lyrics and mastering that brickwalls the music to death. Yeah you can sweep pick and play in 15/16, so what?

Eddie the head said:
I saw this one article by a feminist that was basically calling all metalheads misogynists. Now I don't really know what the her point was after that because my thoughts where; metalheads have constantly been called Satan worshipers and the scum of the earth saying "you just hate women now" is practicality a compliment.
Anyone who thinks metal is misogynistic is either stuck in the 80s or takes death metal lyrics and album covers too seriously. Unless that article was written in the 80s I'd have to question if this woman thinks Nickelback is a metal band.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yoda vs Count Dooku

Sure it suppose to be an epic fight but I still chuckle by Yoda jumping and spinning attack. It doesn't help the fact that he also grunt during the fight aswell.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Cowabungaa said:

This is just something I read and not confirm but from what I hear, those shoe pompoms are hiding spikes. Which is a good idea, because no expects death by pompom and, add insult to injury, no one wants that on their tombstone.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Politics. As important as politics and voting are. I cannot take politians seriously. Voting for crooks, trying to decipher who is the lesser evil and the debates lord the debates. Highschool debates are more civil and coherent. Political debates are like schoolyard fights, it's ridiculous. The worst part is that people eat this shit up. I hate politics and politicians. It's all sensational crap, and lies. And it works, oh does it work.

So no screw it, as much as i know it is important i will not take it seriously. And i will not vote, not until the system as a whole is improved.

(Note this is about politics in general, i have no intention of having a political debate here).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Gordon_4 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What peril? They're famously supposed to stand still no matter the mockery. Not that I would be one of those assholes who films himself while trying to make the guard lose his composure.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Gordon_4 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What peril? They're famously supposed to stand still no matter the mockery. Not that I would be one of those assholes who films himself while trying to make the guard lose his composure.
Oh no, those aren't the Beefeater guards. Those are the Queen's Guard. The actual Beefeaters look even more silly. They even carry spears and shit! [http://www.iltemporitrovato.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Beefeaters_big.jpg?46bdec] At least the Queen's Guard, despite their own funny hats, are actual on-duty soldiers with loaded assault rifles.
M0rp43vs said:
Cowabungaa said:

This is just something I read and not confirm but from what I hear, those shoe pompoms are hiding spikes. Which is a good idea, because no expects death by pompom and, add insult to injury, no one wants that on their tombstone.
That'd be...actually pretty rad, if it were true. And it'd make sense for the same reasons as why a lot of spears and such had tassels; to prevent blood from being a hindrance. And you hardly want to slip on your victim's blood when you just castrated him with your shoe-spike.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Silentpony said:
Cyber bullying. I know it's a hot button issue, but as someone who was bullied himself I would trade actually getting bullied for cyber bullying any day.
I am physically incapable of agreeing with you any more than I already do. I mean, Christ - computers have OFF SWITCHES, people. USE THEM. Or block the trolls, or - and here's an idea - don't put every single fucking thing about your life online. It is not the end of the world if you're not constantly validated on social media.

Something else? Gender. Pretty much gender or 'social justice' ANYTHING anymore - the pay 'gap', 'male privilege', the 'goods gender gap', etc. There may (emphasis very much on the hypothetical) be good points to raise and debate about, but frankly I don't give a shit - and seeing as I'm apparently The Enemy (i.e. white, straight, male) in so many of these situations, I don't want to give a shit, since I'd get shouted down in any 'discussion' regardless of what I actually thought. So much of it is whining about First World Problems(tm) - for example, the threads about The Danish Girl and the 'goods gender gap' on this very site.. There are real people with real problems in the world, and some of the most 'important' problems are a MOVIE and the cost of fucking toiletries? And I'm honestly supposed to care? Sorry, nope.

EDIT: To be clear, that was me venting, not inviting anyone for a political debate. :)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Dizchu said:
8 and 9-string guitars. Well, most of the time. You see these guys trying to look tough as hell with these ironing boards with strings on them and then when it comes time for them to play some chunky riffs, all they do is chug away on the lowest string.

Also most technical death metal, especially if they have pretentious "cosmic" lyrics and mastering that brickwalls the music to death. Yeah you can sweep pick and play in 15/16, so what?
Yes, that is a weird dick-measuring technique for insecure musicians. Which is silly in all forms as once you've heard one, you've heard them all and it just becomes senseless noise after that. Also bands that are more obsessed with their clothes/style than their actual fucking music. What prancing dolls they are.

OT: People that get very defensive over any mention of gun control. It's like a child who thinks someone is trying to take away their favourite toy, when really it's more like making sure no angry child gets to throw the toys at the other kids or adults.
Um, my failing to keep relatively sane, it's difficult to not use humour as a coping mechanism really.
Lastly, politicians and their "doublespeak." Which is a term i find far too generous as their speak is closer to "no-speak." Luckily we have a current politician gaining popularity because he actually cares for his fellow human and treats them like humans. So when we get to hear the opposing politicians start speaking again, it highlights how utterly robotic and senseless they are. Also how little they know of their own country. *Sigh* It's gonna be a long 4 years.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Here's the thing. Yes suicide from social isolation is bad. However is does require you to not try to branch out and get new friends. And it does require you to believe your life isn't worth anything. The bully say you're a loser who will never have any friend and you really do have to shrug and say "yeah, you have a point there.". And given the wide open nature of the internet with millions of support groups, anonymous or otherwise, it requires a lot of work to get to the suicide point.

I had asthma as a kid and my bully would actively try to trigger asthma attacks. He threw sand and dust in my face. The 2nd grade class had a pet gerbil and he would take the litter/bedding, walking right up to my face and blow it in my eyes.
It could have killed me, and I had no real say in the matter. I couldn't branch out and get rid of dust. Nor did I actually have to believe in the asthma for it to harm me. It was a physical condition he could exploit without the need for any real interaction with me and it certainly didn't require my eventually agreement.

I know mental torture is terrible. But physical abuse will always be more immediate and serious. Mental torture takes times. Weeks, months, years. Physical abuse takes a punch to the face.