Serious things you just can't take seriously

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Beefeater guards. I don't think anybody takes them seriously though.
I was suprised to learn those guys are all hand-picked combat vets. They just got saddled with an unfortunately silly looking dress uniform. Almost as silly looking as the US Navy enlisted Dress Uniforms.
Slightly outdated information. Historically this was largely true but now they can be retirees from any branch of the military and from almost any function. About the only requirements are long service and good conduct (which just means hasn't been subject to formal disciplinary action). No requirement to have seen combat at all.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
THM said:
Something else? Gender. Pretty much gender or 'social justice' ANYTHING anymore - the pay 'gap', 'male privilege', the 'goods gender gap', etc. There may (emphasis very much on the hypothetical) be good points to raise and debate about, but frankly I don't give a shit - and seeing as I'm apparently The Enemy (i.e. white, straight, male) in so many of these situations, I don't want to give a shit, since I'd get shouted down in any 'discussion' regardless of what I actually thought. So much of it is whining about First World Problems(tm) - for example, the threads about The Danish Girl and the 'goods gender gap' on this very site.. There are real people with real problems in the world, and some of the most 'important' problems are a MOVIE and the cost of fucking toiletries? And I'm honestly supposed to care? Sorry, nope.

EDIT: To be clear, that was me venting, not inviting anyone for a political debate. :)
And yet this "pay gap issue", as a single example, extends far beyond First WOrld Problems, as the need for female health products, as tampons, extends all over the World, and in places like Africa, Asia, S. America and such with a large number of poor people, the increased price of female products is a known cause for infections and helath issues of women of lower incomes. You "not giving a fuck" is indeed part of a problem for a lot of women, not only in USA and Uk, but in the wole wide world, and as such, ,you being in a position of "privilage" are denying the importance of an actual thing that has a lto of consequences. ANd you might not e inviting it, but i still is important to point out that you are having a very limited view of things. ALso you are only a "Enemy" (you are not, but some people might indicate you are not helping the issues though) if you take that stance of not caring not giving a fuck, not for being male, white or straight.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Spider RedNight said:
Also I'm glad you feel like you should pursue a career in that field, more power to ya. I seriously lack the empathy to care about what other people think or feel.
Only reason I can deal with people in that field is that I understand the difficulty of living with a fucked brain chemistry. Still there are plenty of folks who make my social anxiety itch like a ************ because of their crappy attitudes. The thing that bugs me is I've run into people who are getting treatment but don't take the shit seriously. It just bothers me because I don't see the point of showing up if you're not going to do the work.
In the mental health field, you can't "fake it til you make it" because you get no benefits from half-assing. And the other thing they need to realize is that there's no magical cure-all, you can only mitigate symptoms and deal with flare-ups. But you can't expect everything to go away.
Its not an easy road, and I get that folks can get disheartened by the strength it takes to push on through day-by-day. I just feel that one should take the endeavor seriously if one is going to get their head straightened out enough to function, else its a waste of time and money to get therapy and not do the work involved.
I guess its akin to buying the tools and materials to build a house but expecting the house to build itself and the tools to do the work on their own.
But... but it's so much easier to insist that it's not working and keep stewing in misery because nobody understands how you feel! -sarcasm.png-

I do agree with you though - I just spent 800 bucks on a complete psychological evaluation so you got two kinds of people - I have a buddy who's pretty sure he has anxiety but every time I encourage him to go see someone or I offer to take him to a doctor, it's always a different excuse so there comes a point where all I can really do as his friend is listen to and support him because it seems like he doesn't want to have the problem addressed because it's easier to complain about it.

Or maybe that's just my own fucked up brain chemistry interpreting it. Then again, who doesn't have fucked up brain chemistry nowadays. I blame the self-diagnosing people. Burn the witch!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
A lot of metal.

I get that one gal's trash is another gal's treasure, but where a lot of people see "badass," I see "goofy." I've seen more menacing things at a D&D table.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
What peril? They're famously supposed to stand still no matter the mockery. Not that I would be one of those assholes who films himself while trying to make the guard lose his composure.
Although this might be the case for the Beefeaters (properly called The Yeomen Warders), I've seen people get confused between them and the Queen's Guard, and they most certainly don't have to still. They are allowed to shout and aim a bayoneted SA80 at people messing with them.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
kurokotetsu said:
Yeah...the 'pay gap'? Debunked. The toiletries issue? Like I said, there MAY be some good points to talk about, but it's the fact that because of who I am and where I live automatically means I have to be permanently guilty of 'perpetrating' this 'crime' that's the real kick in the balls. Coming up with some sort of solution? A good idea. Blaming soggy knees/Da Paytwiahky? Fucking useless.

As for this mythical 'privilege' you speak of? Yeah, sure; the 'privilege' to die earlier, to be the majority sex in utterly shit manual/industrial jobs the world over, the male rate of suicide, the potential to lose any access to the kids I might have due to the sex-bias of the court...yeah, I feel so very fucking 'privileged'. (And that's just stuff off the top of my head; there are a LOT of other things.)

Yes, living where I do means I have access to resources a LOT of other people in the world don't, but I refuse to spend the rest of my life having 'progressive' people's fingers in my face, telling me different versions of 'you're what's wrong with the world' just because of where I was fucking born and what I was fucking born as.

*deep breath*

Or to quote The Dude: "That's, like, your opinion, man." :)

(Apologies for bringing so much politics to this thread, folks.)

As for other 'serious' things; it's not so much the wigs, as the fact that the British barristers have to wear two pairs of hose when in court (even the guys), due to an edict from Queen Victoria, who didn't like the men's leg hair poking through. Not to mention the fact that they wear black is because they're traditionally in mourning for the death of Queen Mary (who died in the 1700s).

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Anything that gets hashtagged or spammed on Facebook by changing your avatar, or whatever mass people do on social media to act like they are caring.

Yes, I feel bad for people getting murdered and such. It's just the fact that you change your picture to a French colors and before that, you had a post about how life sucks because you dropped your phone kinda changes my attitude.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
So I've been watching the show Broadchurch on netflix and I realized that I can't take British court dramas, or the British legal system in general seriously.

Why's that you ask?

Well, British judges and lawyers wear stupid powered wigs and I just can't get over it.

Look at this silly costume party bullshit:

British people, how has this survived in your legal system for so long? How do you not just burst out laughing when you enter a court room?

So, what are things that you can't take seriously even though you're apparently supposed to?
It's fucking stupid I know. I remember doing jury duty and they had them on and some just half arse the attempt of wearing them. Worse is where they try to act all dramatically defending their client as if it's a UK drama.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I dunno, I think I'm capable of taking the the most ridiculous things seriously if I want to!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
The "Health at any size" movement (or idea, or whatever it's considered).

Look, I agree that you can't always tell if someone is healthy or not by their weight. But if you're going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that someone who weighs 900 lbs can be 'healthy', then I have a very hard time taking you seriously.

People complaining about lack of 'diversity' in completely fictional and fantasy settings. Such as:
-people complaining about there being no black people in "The Witcher"
-There was a guy (who somehow mad it on PBS) saying there needs to be a "Muslim Jedi".
It's a FANTASY world. It doesn't 'need' or 'have' to do anything. They could make all the characters be Giraffe people who speak Swahili and it would still make perfect sense, because the world is whatever the hell the author(s) wants it to be.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
First world equality movements. I blame Sargon Of Akkad, Thunderf00t, and that blond homosexual chap for making serious people talking about serious things look silly for cherry picking some of the sillier things they do and say. There's so much cherry-picking that I'm starting to think Black Lives Matter, third wave Feminism, and other such subjects are just so many cherry trees (but they're not).

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Something Amyss said:
A lot of metal.

I get that one gal's trash is another gal's treasure, but where a lot of people see "badass," I see "goofy." I've seen more menacing things at a D&D table.
Same here. I've been a metalhead for at least 10 years, but the older I get, the more I start to laugh at any band's attempts to be edgy. Doesn't mean I can't still enjoy it though. I just enjoy it more for its cheese-factor than I used to. Power metal already prepared me for that. It gets even better when you go to an international metal event and find out just how much of a facade the whole "edgy" thing really is among the fandom. Many of them turn out to be pretty polite when they're not acting edgy in the crowds.

My favorite case was when I saw the Canadian Thrash Band, Annihilator. Their songs were all themed around edginess, any yet when the songs ended, they went full-Canadian and said, "Okay, that's all. I hope you guys enjoyed our music. Have a nice day, now."

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
THM said:
Silentpony said:
Cyber bullying. I know it's a hot button issue, but as someone who was bullied himself I would trade actually getting bullied for cyber bullying any day.
I am physically incapable of agreeing with you any more than I already do. I mean, Christ - computers have OFF SWITCHES, people. USE THEM. Or block the trolls, or - and here's an idea - don't put every single fucking thing about your life online. It is not the end of the world if you're not constantly validated on social media.

Something else? Gender. Pretty much gender or 'social justice' ANYTHING anymore - the pay 'gap', 'male privilege', the 'goods gender gap', etc. There may (emphasis very much on the hypothetical) be good points to raise and debate about, but frankly I don't give a shit - and seeing as I'm apparently The Enemy (i.e. white, straight, male) in so many of these situations, I don't want to give a shit, since I'd get shouted down in any 'discussion' regardless of what I actually thought. So much of it is whining about First World Problems(tm) - for example, the threads about The Danish Girl and the 'goods gender gap' on this very site.. There are real people with real problems in the world, and some of the most 'important' problems are a MOVIE and the cost of fucking toiletries? And I'm honestly supposed to care? Sorry, nope.

EDIT: To be clear, that was me venting, not inviting anyone for a political debate. :)
Hey, I'm glad there's somebody on this site who thinks like me.

My own items:

- hardcore/screamo style vocals
- pig squeals
- Steve Vai's use of the whammy bar (when he does that whiny cat-like sound)

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Beefeater guards. I don't think anybody takes them seriously though.
I feel a little embarrassed that my immediate reaction in my head was "they bloody well should!". Perhaps I had best stay out of this and go eat some crumpets...

More on topic? I feel like any anime when it tries to be serious. So much of anime is taken up by goofy nonsense and filler episodes and time-wasting close up shots of the faces of everybody and their dog, that it becomes impossible to care about the more serious moments.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Silentpony said:
Here's the thing. Yes suicide from social isolation is bad. However is does require you to not try to branch out and get new friends. And it does require you to believe your life isn't worth anything. The bully say you're a loser who will never have any friend and you really do have to shrug and say "yeah, you have a point there.". And given the wide open nature of the internet with millions of support groups, anonymous or otherwise, it requires a lot of work to get to the suicide point.
No, just, no. I'm sorry but you can't believe how wrong this all is, coming from someone who went through both physical bullying (threatened with knives, chased through the village like prey, simply getting my ass kicked) as well as getting bullied socially (ostracizing, becoming the laughing stock, etc) and becoming suicidal over that. On two important part. One; the bit in bold implies victim guilt, which is just absolutely wrong. It does not 'take work' to become suicidal, as if becoming suicidal is something you consciously do to yourself. It's not a decision to become suicidal.

Two; the whole thing makes it seem as if this is something you can just act rationally about. As if you can just get new friends or get an online support group, as if you can just shrug of being called a loser, laughed at, made fun of, excluded from social groups every. single. day. over and goddamn over again. Not only are we talking about kids here, the least rational of all people, people in general aren't even all that rational! You're painting some kind of fantasy picture of people that has no base in reality. 'Just' getting new friends? Who says everyone can just do that?! And sure, online support groups can help, but they change nothing about the day-to-day situation you're subjected to.

Because here's the thing, especially with online bullying; it keeps haunting you even when you go home, and then the next day you actually have to face those people. Day in, day out. Especially when no one is helping you because oh, you just have to shrug if off and make new friends you're being told. I'm not sure you realize what kind of effect that has on teenagers' psyches, I'm not sure you realize how fucking helpless that makes you feel when every authority figure around you thinks like you do.

It's that kind of underestimation that you display here that stops cyber-bullying, and social bullying in general, from being taken as seriously as it should. I won't say that it's worse than your awful asthma story, what that kid did to you was awful and the fact that he could have killed you is bone-chilling. But worse or less worse? Hell no, why do we have to make a pissing match out of it? Can't we agree that bullying of all kinds is fucking terrible, fucks up young people's lives to no end (I'll never be fully rid of the consequences, even after 5 years of therapy) and needs to be stopped no matter the arena it takes place in?

I'm sorry this is such a long post about it and, well, an obviously angry one. But this is one of the topics I feel most passionate about. Especially after I moved to a country which lags way behind in how to deal with bullying and mental issues in general, looking at the horrible suicide rates in this nation. It makes me so insanely mad to think that kids who could've been helped didn't receive it because the people around them refused to see the gravity of the situation. Especially when I was very nearly one of those kids.
THM said:
kurokotetsu said:
Yeah...the 'pay gap'? Debunked. The toiletries issue? Like I said, there MAY be some good points to talk about, but it's the fact that because of who I am and where I live automatically means I have to be permanently guilty of 'perpetrating' this 'crime' that's the real kick in the balls. Coming up with some sort of solution? A good idea. Blaming soggy knees/Da Paytwiahky? Fucking useless.

As for this mythical 'privilege' you speak of? Yeah, sure; the 'privilege' to die earlier, to be the majority sex in utterly shit manual/industrial jobs the world over, the male rate of suicide, the potential to lose any access to the kids I might have due to the sex-bias of the court...yeah, I feel so very fucking 'privileged'. (And that's just stuff off the top of my head; there are a LOT of other things.)

Yes, living where I do means I have access to resources a LOT of other people in the world don't, but I refuse to spend the rest of my life having 'progressive' people's fingers in my face, telling me different versions of 'you're what's wrong with the world' just because of where I was fucking born and what I was fucking born as.

*deep breath*

Or to quote The Dude: "That's, like, your opinion, man." :)

(Apologies for bringing so much politics to this thread, folks.)
Despite you being wrong about the pay gap being debunked (it's just not, even governments admit it despite having every incentive not to, but that's not the point of discussion in this thread) your resentment regarding progressives is a valid one and raises important issues that, in turn, aren't taken seriously either but really should be.

It shows that there are deep-seated divides between various kinds of demographics, the amount of polarization we've seen in the last twenty or so years has been enormous and it leads to various sides in various debates not taking each other seriously and deeply mistrusting each other. People not willing or not able to see the excesses of either side and instead see them as the norm.

And that makes me sad. There's no talking anymore, no sitting down and talking things out. Everyone faces all kinds of problems and everyone is so damn on edge that to me the Western world seems to be on the verge of imploding out of sheer nervousness, anger and (legitimate) anxiety. Everyone's just shouting at each other and that really sucks for everyone involved.

Because yeah, you're right, being a blue-collar white guy in the modern Western world (I see you're from the UK, it's even worse in the US) carries very legitimate problems. And not having that taken seriously sucks, even that not carrying the full attention of the cultural zeitgeist feels rightfully very frustrating. Especially when there's not one guilty party you can really point at. So people shout, people make black sheep, scapegoats, whathaveyou.

And in the end; everyone loses. Sometimes it really sucks when certain things aren't taken seriously. Sometimes they really should.
Something Amyss said:
A lot of metal.

Honestly, I have never heard people masturbate so angrily over Tolkien novels as certain metal bands. It's the funniest.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Using "safety" or the lack thereof to describe anything other than an actual, imminent threat to physical health.

Please, go home and make a fort out of couch cushions. The world isn't going to cover itself in bubble wrap because you're neurotic. Nor should it.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Silentpony said:
I know mental torture is terrible. But physical abuse will always be more immediate and serious. Mental torture takes times. Weeks, months, years. Physical abuse takes a punch to the face.
As someone who experienced both when I was young, the physical confrontations were more immediately alarming and unpleasant, the mental/non-physical bullying kicked off a depressive spiral that lasted a couple of years and could have very easily culminated in suicide.

I don't know if it's the "cyber" element that makes people assume it's a joke/isn't happening in the "real world", as though we were comparing "cybersex" to the physical act of bumping uglies, but there is no meaningful distinction between "cyber-bullying" and regular bullying. The bully in question is just using the internet as a medium. The internet and social media is so goddam pervasive and entrenched in our culture now that I cannot imagine anyone using the "just unplug" argument and keeping a straight face while doing it. Shall they become Amish? What is the plan, exactly?

I was under the impression that the reason people hereabouts were so incensed at and concerned about social media lynch mobs and libel was because they had a rather nuanced understanding of how having your reputation dragged through the mud, character assassinated, how being subject to threats and slander on a nigh daily basis is ridiculously unhealthy, and that even the strongest minds can quickly crack under the pressure. It's bad enough when the targets "do it to themselves" by willingly becoming public figures/taking up contentious positions. Let alone some fucking kid, who doesn't have the emotional maturity to process what the fuck is happening.

I tell you if I had kids in today's media environment I would be terrified. I'd never get a moment's sleep.

OT: DLC/Always-online and other "consumer unfriendly" practices. I intellectually understand the creeping nature of them and how they are, in principle, not in my best interests. I also have a really, really hard time understanding the sturm und drang over some $5 DLC. In the time it takes people to type out their rage about it they've probably wasted $50 in sweat equity. It's not medicine. It's not food. It's not water. It's video games.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Metal music. If you want to make a loud noise and shout in your music, just be upfront about it.

Also, religion, a significant proportion of modern social campaigners (But not the issues being campaigned about, you understand.), the Republican party, rap songs, and Quentin Tarantino.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Also people's counter-arguments for someone else not taking seriously what they take seriously. *fetches popcorn*

Not everyone cares about the same things. I think it's silly when someone expresses what they don't take seriously then they're bombarded with "no see you're wrong because" counter-arguments, especially regarding something completely subjective (I see you, suicide sub-discussion).

I just can't take you seriously. OH NO THE CYCLE'S BEGUN

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
sageoftruth said:
Something Amyss said:
A lot of metal.

Same here. I've been a metalhead for at least 10 years, but the older I get, the more I start to laugh at any band's attempts to be edgy. Doesn't mean I can't still enjoy it though. I just enjoy it more for its cheese-factor than I used to. Power metal already prepared me for that. It gets even better when you go to an international metal event and find out just how much of a facade the whole "edgy" thing really is among the fandom. Many of them turn out to be pretty polite when they're not acting edgy in the crowds.

My favorite case was when I saw the Canadian Thrash Band, Annihilator. Their songs were all themed around edginess, any yet when the songs ended, they went full-Canadian and said, "Okay, that's all. I hope you guys enjoyed our music. Have a nice day, now."
To be honest here I think you're problem is thinking Metal is serious.
You enjoy it for the over the top cheese? Yeah that's how a lot of it is meant to be enjoyed.