Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

[img_inline src="http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/90/90796.jpg"]
Forget the Prime Evils, players have yet to defeat the log-in screen.

Most major releases have at least a few issues on launch day, whether it's the need for a large patch to fix last minute problems, or just a long line to connect to a multiplayer server. As it turns out, Diablo III is no exception, as players are unfortunately encountering a host of issues, including full servers, performance problems, and the infamous "Error 37", which forces players to repeatedly login to their accounts.

"Please note that due to a high volume of traffic, login and character creation may be slower than normal," stated a message on the Diablo III login screen. "If you're unable to login to the game or create characters, please wait and try again. We've temporarily taken our Battle.net website offline and launched more servers to accommodate for the traffic. We hope to resolve these issues as soon as possible and appreciate your patience."

Blizzard had previously always be connected to the internet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117151-Diablo-III-Launch-May-Get-Messy], even for single player, has more than likely exacerbated the problem.

Currently, Blizzard has offered no ETA as to when they expect to have everything sorted out.

Source: Game Politics [http://gamepolitics.com/2012/05/15/diablo-iii-server-issues-surface-launch-day]

Permalink
 

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
12,010
0
41
Country
United States
They wouldn't give an accurate ETA anyway.

Good thing you can just play singl---oh... wait...
 

DTH1337

New member
Feb 27, 2012
163
0
0
Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.

And you can't even play the single player because you have to be constantly connected to the internet for playing what should be an "offline" mode.

Just more examples of how companies underestimate the amount of players that will log in to their games and how DRM simply doesn't work.
 

FrostyCoolSlug

In the Ball Pool...
Jun 7, 2005
50
0
0
They should have run an open beta weekend to estimate general performance so they could ensure they were ready at release for the massive influx of players..

oh.. wait...
 

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
2,246
0
0
Another perfect example of why I don't buy games on day 1 anymore. I want to see just how little effort the company puts into the game over the next few months. They knew there was going to be a big launch, it WAS possible to prevent all of this. But that costs more money. Nickle and diming the customer strikes again. And I can't say I'm suprised. As much as Blizzard would like to say its the golden child of Activision, they can't avoid the corporate ideals that are directly opposed to the industry they are involved in.

Did they put up a few extra servers, ya. But that doesn't change the fact that the internet connection attached to the building can only handle so much. And changing that contract would cost them more money than your suffering and bitching is worth.

Unless you stop buying.
 

Versuvius

New member
Apr 30, 2008
803
0
0
I feel excessive glee at this. I just...wow. Words can describe how my jollies have been rustled.
 

cefm

New member
Mar 26, 2010
380
0
0
Problem with forced online play (for single player too) is..... you have to SUPPORT IT!
 

Aeshi

New member
Dec 22, 2009
2,640
0
0
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
13,058
2,092
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
DTH1337 said:
Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.

And you can't even play the single player because you have to be constantly connected to the internet for playing what should be an "offline" mode.

Just more examples of how companies underestimate the amount of players that will log in to their games and how DRM simply doesn't work.
I doubt they really underestimate it, I think its more they just are planning ahead for when not as many people are logging on, they don't want to pay extra to be able to handle the huge initial influx of players and then end up not needing it a few weeks later.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
13,058
2,092
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
Aeshi said:
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up indie worshipers have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
The funny thing is that your the first person to mention anything indie so far in this thread.
 

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
2,246
0
0
Aeshi said:
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up indie worshipers have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
Incase you missed EA's foray into the Indie market a little while ago. Indie isn't indie anymore. Its just the latest buzz word large corporations have taken to sticking on themselves.
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
Of course they are having problems. They have made the game an "always on DRM" game. It'll be a long while before I play this one, if I do. I still have managed to barely play SC2 and I have no interest in the game at all. I played that open beta weekend, and the game was just kinda boring I thought. I played through it with a couple of different classes, but nothing was that much fun, it certainly didn't feel like it would be worth $60.

I'm not knocking the game, it's fine if people are really enjoying it. I wish I could. My only point is that of course the launch is marred by server issues. It was a mistake in a lot of ways to have a single player game be server bound. There is no way companies can ever be prepared for this type of thing.
 

Xannidel

New member
Feb 16, 2011
352
0
0
I have spent some time on the forums with some popcorn prepared to listen to the QQ and boy was I not disappointed. So many people complaining about constant internet connection required to play when they apparently ignored the box cover that said it and also did not read Blizzard mentioning that there will be an internet connection required.

People on the forums say the internet requirement is to help shake off hackers and any other kind of annoyances that were around in D2.

I have not played D2 (never really got into the franchise TBH) so I cannot tell how annoying those people were but after Starcraft 2 needed a constant internet connection to play should this have surprised anyone?

Also today is the launch day; I can not really recall any game, that had such a huge fanbase, that ran without a hitch so to speak.
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
Antari said:
Incase you missed EA's foray into the Indie market a little while ago. Indie isn't indie anymore. Its just the latest buzz word large corporations have taken to sticking on themselves.
Indie still means indie, even if EA is not using the term correctly. It is a buzz word, but most development houses still use the word correctly. EA uses it in the terms of the games being low budget, non-triple-A titles. This is an element of indie games, but we all know it means independent of publishers. EA is stupid, but the meaning of indie hasn't changed and is still used properly by most games that are listed as "indie".
 

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
3,782
0
0
What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
Xannidel said:
I have spent some time on the forums with some popcorn prepared to listen to the QQ and boy was I not disappointed. So many people complaining about constant internet connection required to play when they apparently ignored the box cover that said it and also did not read Blizzard mentioning that there will be an internet connection required.

People on the forums say the internet requirement is to help shake off hackers and any other kind of annoyances that were around in D2.

I have not played D2 (never really got into the franchise TBH) so I cannot tell how annoying those people were but after Starcraft 2 needed a constant internet connection to play should this have surprised anyone?

Also today is the launch day; I can not really recall any game, that had such a huge fanbase, that ran without a hitch so to speak.
While they did say from the first moment that it will have an internet connection required and be always on, did it ever occur to you that it annoys people who buy a game like this and then cannot play it for that reason, especially in light of it not being a necessary part of the actual gameplay? I understand, all the crying and what not is annoying, but crying about crying isn't making leaps and bounds into new territory either. :p
 

tacotrainwreck

New member
Sep 15, 2011
312
0
0
I like how when I click the tab for the most recent articles right now on The Escapist, I get an entire screen filled with Diablo 3 articles. So, uh, what else is out there?

On that note, makes me feel bad for all the people who just want to play a single player game.
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
Ed130 said:
What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?
Zero. All of the drops, and enemy spawns are server side. Without it there is no game.