Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

[img_inline src="http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/90/90796.jpg"]
Forget the Prime Evils, players have yet to defeat the log-in screen.

Most major releases have at least a few issues on launch day, whether it's the need for a large patch to fix last minute problems, or just a long line to connect to a multiplayer server. As it turns out, Diablo III is no exception, as players are unfortunately encountering a host of issues, including full servers, performance problems, and the infamous "Error 37", which forces players to repeatedly login to their accounts.

"Please note that due to a high volume of traffic, login and character creation may be slower than normal," stated a message on the Diablo III login screen. "If you're unable to login to the game or create characters, please wait and try again. We've temporarily taken our Battle.net website offline and launched more servers to accommodate for the traffic. We hope to resolve these issues as soon as possible and appreciate your patience."

Blizzard had previously always be connected to the internet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117151-Diablo-III-Launch-May-Get-Messy], even for single player, has more than likely exacerbated the problem.

Currently, Blizzard has offered no ETA as to when they expect to have everything sorted out.

Source: Game Politics [http://gamepolitics.com/2012/05/15/diablo-iii-server-issues-surface-launch-day]

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
They wouldn't give an accurate ETA anyway.

Good thing you can just play singl---oh... wait...

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.

And you can't even play the single player because you have to be constantly connected to the internet for playing what should be an "offline" mode.

Just more examples of how companies underestimate the amount of players that will log in to their games and how DRM simply doesn't work.

FrostyCoolSlug

In the Ball Pool...
Jun 7, 2005
They should have run an open beta weekend to estimate general performance so they could ensure they were ready at release for the massive influx of players..

oh.. wait...

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Another perfect example of why I don't buy games on day 1 anymore. I want to see just how little effort the company puts into the game over the next few months. They knew there was going to be a big launch, it WAS possible to prevent all of this. But that costs more money. Nickle and diming the customer strikes again. And I can't say I'm suprised. As much as Blizzard would like to say its the golden child of Activision, they can't avoid the corporate ideals that are directly opposed to the industry they are involved in.

Did they put up a few extra servers, ya. But that doesn't change the fact that the internet connection attached to the building can only handle so much. And changing that contract would cost them more money than your suffering and bitching is worth.

Unless you stop buying.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
I feel excessive glee at this. I just...wow. Words can describe how my jollies have been rustled.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Problem with forced online play (for single player too) is..... you have to SUPPORT IT!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
DTH1337 said:
Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.

And you can't even play the single player because you have to be constantly connected to the internet for playing what should be an "offline" mode.

Just more examples of how companies underestimate the amount of players that will log in to their games and how DRM simply doesn't work.
I doubt they really underestimate it, I think its more they just are planning ahead for when not as many people are logging on, they don't want to pay extra to be able to handle the huge initial influx of players and then end up not needing it a few weeks later.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Aeshi said:

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up indie worshipers have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
The funny thing is that your the first person to mention anything indie so far in this thread.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Aeshi said:

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up indie worshipers have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
Incase you missed EA's foray into the Indie market a little while ago. Indie isn't indie anymore. Its just the latest buzz word large corporations have taken to sticking on themselves.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Well at least it wont effect the single player any.

Oh wait, it will because it was designed by meddling dipshits who cant leave well enough alone, dammit.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Of course they are having problems. They have made the game an "always on DRM" game. It'll be a long while before I play this one, if I do. I still have managed to barely play SC2 and I have no interest in the game at all. I played that open beta weekend, and the game was just kinda boring I thought. I played through it with a couple of different classes, but nothing was that much fun, it certainly didn't feel like it would be worth $60.

I'm not knocking the game, it's fine if people are really enjoying it. I wish I could. My only point is that of course the launch is marred by server issues. It was a mistake in a lot of ways to have a single player game be server bound. There is no way companies can ever be prepared for this type of thing.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
I have spent some time on the forums with some popcorn prepared to listen to the QQ and boy was I not disappointed. So many people complaining about constant internet connection required to play when they apparently ignored the box cover that said it and also did not read Blizzard mentioning that there will be an internet connection required.

People on the forums say the internet requirement is to help shake off hackers and any other kind of annoyances that were around in D2.

I have not played D2 (never really got into the franchise TBH) so I cannot tell how annoying those people were but after Starcraft 2 needed a constant internet connection to play should this have surprised anyone?

Also today is the launch day; I can not really recall any game, that had such a huge fanbase, that ran without a hitch so to speak.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Antari said:
Incase you missed EA's foray into the Indie market a little while ago. Indie isn't indie anymore. Its just the latest buzz word large corporations have taken to sticking on themselves.
Indie still means indie, even if EA is not using the term correctly. It is a buzz word, but most development houses still use the word correctly. EA uses it in the terms of the games being low budget, non-triple-A titles. This is an element of indie games, but we all know it means independent of publishers. EA is stupid, but the meaning of indie hasn't changed and is still used properly by most games that are listed as "indie".

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Xannidel said:
I have spent some time on the forums with some popcorn prepared to listen to the QQ and boy was I not disappointed. So many people complaining about constant internet connection required to play when they apparently ignored the box cover that said it and also did not read Blizzard mentioning that there will be an internet connection required.

People on the forums say the internet requirement is to help shake off hackers and any other kind of annoyances that were around in D2.

I have not played D2 (never really got into the franchise TBH) so I cannot tell how annoying those people were but after Starcraft 2 needed a constant internet connection to play should this have surprised anyone?

Also today is the launch day; I can not really recall any game, that had such a huge fanbase, that ran without a hitch so to speak.
While they did say from the first moment that it will have an internet connection required and be always on, did it ever occur to you that it annoys people who buy a game like this and then cannot play it for that reason, especially in light of it not being a necessary part of the actual gameplay? I understand, all the crying and what not is annoying, but crying about crying isn't making leaps and bounds into new territory either. :p

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I like how when I click the tab for the most recent articles right now on The Escapist, I get an entire screen filled with Diablo 3 articles. So, uh, what else is out there?

On that note, makes me feel bad for all the people who just want to play a single player game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ed130 said:
What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?
Zero. All of the drops, and enemy spawns are server side. Without it there is no game.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
And this, in addition to the plethora of tests I have this week, is why I am going to buy Diablo 3 in a week, when the server number has been increased to sustain all the people and I won't fail tests due to entire days being consumed by Diablo.

DazZ.

Jun 4, 2009
Ed130 said:
I'm going with fairly low as a hell of a lot of the game is serverside.

Edit: Fecking ninjas.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i remain unsurprised

since you know, this happens every time any thing 'online' launches
Aeshi said:

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
disappointing isn't it, you'd think they'd have something better to do.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Baresark said:
Antari said:
Indie still means indie, even if EA is not using the term correctly. It is a buzz word, but most development houses still use the word correctly. EA uses it in the terms of the games being low budget, non-triple-A titles. This is an element of indie games, but we all know it means independent of publishers. EA is stupid, but the meaning of indie hasn't changed and is still used properly by most games that are listed as "indie".
If you take a closer look at development budgets and major contributors to a few of these "indie developers" you might find yourself going back on that statement. A year ago, I could agree with you. But now, not so much. Just because they aren't releasing through a major publisher doesn't mean they aren't being run by one through the wallet. With the exception of a very small handfull of developers using systems like Kickstarter, most indie's aren't indie anymore.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Server issues? At launch?!

But seriously, as Fappy brought up, thank god for LAN-play and single player.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
Zero. All of the drops, and enemy spawns are server side. Without it there is no game.
Which means that if Blizzard decides to take down the servers at some yet to be determined time, there is no game. Oh well, at least I will always have D2.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Anyone who didn't see this coming is a twat. Regardless of DRM issues, a lot of people were still going to buy Diablo III, they were going to get it on launch day, they were going to want to play it on launch day, and a large amount of people were not going to be able to play this on launch day because of servers hitting capacity.

Not that it matters. Once launch day issues are over, people will start playing at different times, relieving the servers, start buying stuff from the online auction store, and Blizzard will call it a great big success. There will be people who can't play because their connection is dodgy, but they don't matter either, in the large scheme of things. And the cycle continues.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Lucky for me I got into the game straight away, no hassle.

My only concern is my internet cutting out as it typically does from time to time, but if that happens I can always play Torchlight 1 until it comes back on, because you know, you can actually play that without a connection.

Apr 28, 2008
DTH1337 said:
Heh, indeed.

Activision/Blizzard - "Diablo 3 will be a huge launch that'll take the gaming world by storm, which is confirmed by the millions of pre-orders!"

Everyone else - "So how many servers have you set up for it?"

Activision/Blizzard - "Um... seven?"

Everyone else - "..."

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
Which means that if Blizzard decides to take down the servers at some yet to be determined time, there is no game. Oh well, at least I will always have D2.
This is true. I wonder how long certain games will last. For instance, EA has taken to shutting off servers and they are one of the biggest publishers out there (though they are having financial issues). This is a good reason why SP games are still very relevant and very important. Anything that runs this way has a built in expiration date, even if no one knows what it is. Games that I grew up playing on the PC do not. Sure with new OS's and what not it becomes harder to play them and may require some tweaking, but the game isn't dead. This game will one day die, even if it's 20 years from now, and when it does, there will be no resurrecting it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Oh goody, another insane launch because they underestimate the demand. Just like TOR trying to limit how many people could play at launch and failing utterly.
I called it. I fucking called it. And does this really surprise anyone at all?

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
Bets? Within 3 months there will be a offline server setup. Within 6 it will be indistinguishable from blizzard's setup, and within a year the server will be moddable.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Worgen said:
DTH1337 said:

I doubt they really underestimate it, I think its more they just are planning ahead for when not as many people are logging on, they don't want to pay extra to be able to handle the huge initial influx of players and then end up not needing it a few weeks later.
If they'd made sure the release went smoothly they probably wouldn't have to worry about loosing half the userbase within the first couple of months.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
oggebogge91 said:
eh... I'm already in act III. playing with around 50-100 ms in latency, no problems whatsoever.
Good thing you're the only one who matters.

Close the thread, oggebogge91 has no problems whatsoever with Diablo III.

Nick Thaler

Mar 18, 2010
For those mentioning blizzard taking down the D3 servers eventually. They still have the Diablo 2 and StarCraft servers up and those games are ancient. I wouldn't expect them to pull the plug on these servers for another 10-20 years.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
I got in last night and had fun before I went to bed! Ahhh, lovely witch doctor, just wait till I can play again. . .or maybe I'll try a different class. I dunno.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
Bets? Within 3 months there will be a offline server setup. Within 6 it will be indistinguishable from blizzard's setup, and within a year the server will be moddable.
While I think this is possible (so I take back my zero percent chance and increase it infinitely for the sake of fun to some other number that is not quite as tiny as zero(love how math works in regards to this)), I think Blizzard will sue the pants off of anyone who is caught with this or trying to do this. Whether it's successful or not is another story. I know that I would buy the game from them if this was a possibility.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Crono1973 said:
oggebogge91 said:
eh... I'm already in act III. playing with around 50-100 ms in latency, no problems whatsoever.

Thank God for that and for Ogge. Having this thread open, I think it was giving me cancer.

Captcha: glass ceiling
HA!

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Hmm, if only there were some way to bypass this... some form of... gameplay mode, where one doesn't NEED a connection to shoddy servers... perhaps where one is alone, and doesn't even need to play with other people...

But so far as I know, no such thing exists. Oh well, Blizz, you did your best!

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...I was (apparently) the 26th person to log in to the EU servers. I got in 5mins after the launch.

Guess I was lucky. I'm enjoying it anyway

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Think the servers are over-burdened now? Wait till the weekend. Everyone who has little time to play during the week will be slamming the servers then.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
1 Hour after the lunch i was playing in the EU realms from Australia and with the early exception of few missed achievements probably due to battle.net going down in-between quests everything for me was great.
My 1st session was 6 hour and 20 minutes and i went all the way to level 19 and Act 2

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally defeated the log in screen about 10 minutes ago. It was a long and well fought battle but I prevailed.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
What all the wisecracks seem to forget:
These issues aren't at launch, they are several hours after launch, during the first peak hour the game is released.

This isn't some kind of super-rush on the servers at 00:00, it is completely expectable traffic

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
oggebogge91 said:
Crono1973 said:
Why Ogge - you should know better than to upset the Blizzard haters around here, even with an innocent comment! They can be quite caustic.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
Versuvius said:
I feel excessive glee at this. I just...wow. Words can describe how my jollies have been rustled.
I feel the same way. This is insanely hilarious.

What makes me even happier is apparently the D3 launch made my SWTOR server LIVE again. I haven't seen as many people logged in in weeks as there are logged on now.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
All the more reason not to buy games that require you to log onto some DRM servers just to play singleplayer. Awful. I'm just glad that proper counter-movements are developing, those have my full monetary support.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
i remain unsurprised

Aeshi said:

They'd complain about it off-line and alone, but you know - message board DRM and all...

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Fairs fair, Blizzard probably haven't had much experience handling the launch of a massively popular online game, so they were bound to have a few problems.

(all together now)

OH WAIT.......

_alter_ego

Jun 26, 2010
Apparently the fixes they tried during the weekend of beta for everyone didn't do enough. This didn't happen for Starcraft, although blizzard didn't have to cancel Blizzcon and fire a bunch of workers like it did before Diablo 3 came out.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
this game is going to be the one that takes the shine off Blizzard for many mark my words.

there are already a lot of mutterings in the zeitgeist about the game never mind this messy launch.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Blizzard: "We're releasing Diablo III."

People: "Wohooo!!! YES! AWESOME! MOST EXPECTED GAME OF THE MILLENIA!!!"

Blizzard: "Sorry guys, we're experiencing a few technical issues on launch. We'll have it fix-"

People: "You bastards! You money grabbing monsters! How dare you?! How could you?! You suck!! This game sucks!! Everything sucks!!"

... Make up your mind people!!!

(though I guess most of the folks who waited for it are too busy playing it to respond to this thread)

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Beats playing the game, giving a shield to the Paladin and getting booted from the game and your account until the problem is patched.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Baresark said:
ravenshrike said:
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
While I think this is possible (so I take back my zero percent chance and increase it infinitely for the sake of fun to some other number that is not quite as tiny as zero(love how math works in regards to this)), I think Blizzard will sue the pants off of anyone who is caught with this or trying to do this. Whether it's successful or not is another story. I know that I would buy the game from them if this was a possibility.
Eh, Diablo's storyline never interested me so between Torchlight 2, my Underlord modded TQ, and Grim Dawn whenever it comes out, my ARPG itch is more than satisfied.

Also, if it's an offline fake server, the only people Blizz can sue are those individuals using it. Not the creators. The only reason they were able to sue the people running personal WoW servers is because money was being made. Otherwise they were limited to people running the clients.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
So that whole free beta testing weekend for the public to test the traffic stress was in vain? Either way while I got the game today (I was expecting it to be deliever later this week) I won't install it anytime soon until I read that they had fix it.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
So guys...I really hate to admit it, but Blizzard...defeated piracy. And I'm not exactly SUPER diddly about it because it involved such punishing DRM (ugh..), but it's... true right?

1. Massively hyped game that people will buy regardless of DRM
2. Always-online DRM (spawn enemies/items serverside). This way even the single player cannot be cracked (at least initially).
3. Even when single player is 'cracked' (which will take a hella long time because you have to figure out how to emulate the servers), it won't ever be even close to the real thing because of server size, patches/maintenance, stability/quality, etc.

This is almost entirely the reason why Blizz made SP online only. Devious. But damned effective.

And no one's gonna really complain cause (I'm talking majority rule)..you know. Unlike some Ubisoft game, it's...freaking Diablo 3.

*checkmate*

edit: And in addition, the server 'issues' are purported. They purposely choose a 'close but slightly under' server strength, so they can up it later as needed to save money.
D:

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I earnestly wish this game would bomb. I hope it's marred by many more of Blizzard's greed and obvious incompetence. Maybe then they have to change something in their decades old design philosophy, but I'm really just bitter about how damn successful they're probably going to be when any other company that pulls this crap gets flamed to infinity.

I can dream, can't I?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Sonic 4: Episode II may not be a great game, but right now it holds the distinct advantage of being a playable game. It looks like I chose the right May 15 game to preorder.

P.S. Thanks

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Sorry, I'm too busy being able to replay Torchlight offline to care. Get back to me when WC4 comes out. Actually don't, I don't want to pay real money to buy items for my heroes.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Sleekit said:
this game is going to be the one that takes the shine off Blizzard for many mark my words.

there are already a lot of mutterings in the zeitgeist about the game never mind this messy launch.
Translation:
"This game is going to suck - because I want it to suck."

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Lazy. Sorry, money DOES solve issues like this, and they have obscene amounts of money.

If it still worked like Diablo II and we could simply connect through LAN or whatnot we wouldn't be having this issue.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
So... the game is out and nobody can play it at the moment... and they can't even play singleplayer... way to go Blizz.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
This is really rustling my jimmies.

I mean, seriously. 2 hours ago it was fine. Then I went to go eat something and now I cant log in anymore. I think I'm just gonna leave my PC on with Diablo III running at all times for the next week until this gets sorted.

Come on Blizzard, if you are going to force this always online bullshit upon us, at least do it fucking properly!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and don't forget theres no friggin log in queue for some God forsaken fucking reason. So they just leave you hanging there.

Blizzard are currently giving me the finger, and I don't like it one bit. I blame this on my friend who forced me to buy it.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
To Escapist:
Much more balanced writing, compared to some previous articles. I'm glad to see it, I saw some other media go straight for sensationalism.

It is now obvious Blizzard did underestimate the demand. Hopefully, they do exactly what they did when this happened to World of Warcraft ...
Quick, hard investment into more server capacity. :)

Can I add ... Term DRM should not be used in blanket fashion. Diablo 3 is server based game, it's quite unlike blocking your CD installer. Problems at this point seem to be the authentication servers, not the actual game servers. It's all rather complex and doesn't deserve blanket comparisons at all, without diminishing the issues a server based game causes. DRM is just a tiny part of it.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
antipunt said:
So guys...I really hate to admit it, but Blizzard...defeated piracy. And I'm not exactly SUPER diddly about it because it involved such punishing DRM (ugh..), but it's... true right?

2. Always-online DRM (spawn enemies/items serverside). This way even the single player cannot be cracked (at least initially).
3. Even when single player is 'cracked' (which will take a hella long time because you have to figure out how to emulate the servers), it won't ever be even close to the real thing because of server size, patches/maintenance, stability/quality, etc.

This is almost entirely the reason why Blizz made SP online only. Devious. But damned effective.

And no one's gonna really complain cause (I'm talking majority rule)..you know. Unlike some Ubisoft game, it's...freaking Diablo 3.

*checkmate*

edit: And in addition, the server 'issues' are purported. They purposely choose a 'close but slightly under' server strength, so they can up it later as needed to save money.
D:
Skidrow say they are currently working on an emulator of sorts which will take another few days to finish, with much of the credit going to a Blizzard employee. So yeah, they defeated piracy for about a week, at the cost of having half their legit player base locked out the game. Really fucking awesome.

Then again, its Skidrow, so who fucking knows whats really going on.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah I figured this would happen, which is why I'm waiting till I am off work the next day(tomorrow when this was posted).

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Skidrow say they are currently working on an emulator of sorts which will take another few days to finish, with much of the credit going to a Blizzard employee. So yeah, they defeated piracy for about a week, at the cost of having half their legit player base locked out the game. Really fucking awesome.
Well, they need to pull off exactly the same thing as was required to make WoW private servers.

Since game logic is all remote, it's a very large task for a code analyzer. They would have to actually code the server itself, based only on client communication they can record.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Expected, but still disappointing. Part of me hoped that Blizzard wouldn't have that many problems considering their experience with online games. I was contemplating buying Diablo 3 today but seeing all this I decided against it (at least for the time being).
BTW was review embargo lifted? I haven't seen any reviews yet

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Hmmm, all of a sudden I'm kind of thankful that I'm not going to get the chance to play my just-delivered copy for another couple of weeks.

Damn work. Grumble, grumble.

Adfest

Feb 23, 2009
As much as I want to "na na na na na na... ha ha ha ha ha ha" here, I do feel a little bad for the people who are in the same situation I found myself in with Blizzard. Instead of laughing at their misfortune, I'll just hope that next time the opportunity to bend over Blizzard's "fuck me in the goat ass" counter comes, they will say "NAY!"

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Marmooset said:
Sleekit said:

Translation:
"This game is going to suck - because I want it to suck."
as opposed to the lashings and lashings of the opposite ? you bet.

try objectively judging the game rather than bathing in vast amounts of money spent on hype.

the virtual complete removal of player choice in relation to attributes system means its little more than hack and slash arcade game (rather than any kind of RPG) with almost criminally cliched characters and zero depth beyond item upgrades and the big new feature you've been waiting over a decade for ? monetarised item trading...from which blizzard takes a cut...

PS the Chinese have already set up their US proxy servers.

antipunt said:
it's...freaking Diablo 3.

*checkmate*
its as much "freaking Diablo 3" as the Mini is actually a Mini and not a not so small-ish car made by BMW that merely looks a bit like a Mini...

Diablo died when Blizzard North was closed and dispersed.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
antipunt said:

*checkmate*

D:

Then again, its Skidrow, so who fucking knows whats really going on.
Urgh... I know. Scumbag Blizzard.

But I dunno man..I'll believe it when I see it. One week seems -incredibly- optimistic with something of this scale.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Yeah, I was going to say. Starcraft 2 which already pulled the "singleplayer requires always online"-stuff was cracked within days, too, wasn't it? The people these DRM-measures really hurt are the legal customers.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Gee, what a surprise. I was TOTALLY not expecting shit like that to happen to an always-online single-player game.

Sarcasm.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Skeleon said:
Yeah, I was going to say. Starcraft 2 which already pulled the "singleplayer requires always online"-stuff was cracked within days, too, wasn't it? The people these DRM-measures really hurt are the legal customers.
'cept it didn't. You could play SC2 in offline mode.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Skeleon said:
Yeah, but admittedly, Diablo III is a little more complicated. I think NPCs, monsters and items are all handled client side, meaning you would need to emulate a server to get a pirated copy running. Similar to WoW, and that took years to crack...

I hope they crack it as quickly as possible though, for two reasons. 1) So I can download that shit as fast as humanly possible, unless they fix their servers by then, which I doubt and 2) so Blizzard get a little payback for this stupid bullshit. Look, I like most Blizzard games, and their customer support is just fucking Godly across the board, but they have started sacrificing the quality of their game to gain even more control and make even more quality. Really rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't jump with joy if Diablo III got cracked tomorrow and 2 billion people pirated it immediately, but at the same time I cant say I would feel particularly bad about it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Amnestic said:
You could? I thought Battlenet 2.0 made that impossible. Oh well.
As I said, I haven't played any of the Blizzard games after Frozen Throne, so my understanding is only second-hand.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Ed130 said:
If they managed to crack WoW they'll crack this one as well, don't worry. People always claim "victory" against pirates whenever some new piece of DRM rolls out but it always fails, always.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Skeleon said:
As I said, I haven't played any of the Blizzard games after Frozen Throne, so my understanding is only second-hand.
Well you can, except you have to play as a "guest". Also, if you're logged into battle.net and use a trainer you'll get banned.

Alumatine

Aussie LAN'r
Jul 3, 2011
Eh, blizzard is allowed to do what it wants to do with it's DRM. Personally I like having battle.net connected and having my friends list available in game, having my game always up to date automatically and having more hacking prevention that would be available otherwise. Good and bad always come together.

I played through to act 3 and now I'm sitting while the rest of my party plays because I got disconnected and the authentication servers are being upgraded.

Yes it sucks, yes I'm kinda angry but it's really not going to reverse one hell of a game (and yes it is fantastic) or the last 2 decades of awesome that came before it.

It's 1 night... yes you have a valid expectation of release day but seriously, don't think it's going to "Mar blizzard for life" or "take the shine off a (questionable? wtf?) game".

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Server shit-storms on a Blizzard launch day? Big effin' surprise, there.

And once again we have proven without a shadow of a doubt that mandatory web-access for single player gameplay was the

BEST IDEA ANY COMPANY HAS HAS HAD EVER.

Alumatine said:
Personally I like having battle.net connected and having my friends list available in game, having my game always up to date automatically and having more hacking prevention that would be available otherwise.
All of these things could be easily accomplished with a "connect to battlenet on startup" checkbox in the options menu, and are in no way a reflection of Blizzar'ds backwards DRM policy. With something like a RL cash auction house, good hackers will find a way regardless. Not that the tax Blizzard has on the transactions will give blizzard an incentive to stop them...

_alter_ego

Jun 26, 2010
Also, thank you Escapist for being one of the only name news website to have Diablo 3 issues on the front page; this is far more helpful than featuring non-news content like Diablo 3 Marathons.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Nick Thaler said:
For those mentioning blizzard taking down the D3 servers eventually. They still have the Diablo 2 and StarCraft servers up and those games are ancient. I wouldn't expect them to pull the plug on these servers for another 10-20 years.
And what about in, say, 50-60 years time?

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
If you guys give this game anything but two stars I'm not even going to bother with your reviews anymore. I mean, I had my doubts. I recently saw the Dragon Age 2 review but hey, shit happens you know? That doesn't mean you can't reedem yourselves. Jew golds are fun and all but integrity is more important, right?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
You could most definitely play it in offline mode and, contrary to what PercyBoleyn said, you could do so on your account and not need a guest account. I have done so when my internet was down.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
Seems to be working well for everyone I am talking to. I do admit that several folks ended up having to slam the keyboard on passwords and login screens to play at Hour Zero/Hour one of the game but considering a good section of the world was doing the same it's not unbelievable.

Also the Real money auction house has been discussed to death, we get it you don't want to buy the game you think it's evil. Why are you still telling us about it in the comments of an article talking about the game you don't have any interest in and won't be playing anyway who's topic is about day 1/2 server issues!?

For the record, yes everyone is playing(if they can) rather then complaining. It's kinda a big deal you know.

In a week this won't be a problem, as is true of all online releases they are often a tad rocky.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Lunar Templar said:
Aeshi said:

Was that supposed to be a joke?

Cause it was SUPER funny. I mean that unironically nor sarcastically.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Won't really matter since itll be fixed by 4:00-4:30 EST and most people are at work.

Besides I can't get past that damn Black King!!!

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
You could most definitely play it in offline mode and, contrary to what PercyBoleyn said, you could do so on your account and not need a guest account. I have done so when my internet was down.
Yep. You didn't get achievements or anything of the like, but who cares. At least the functionality was there.

Alumatine

Aussie LAN'r
Jul 3, 2011
PercyBoleyn said:
If you guys give this game anything but two stars I'm not even going to bother with your reviews anymore. I mean, I had my doubts. I recently saw the Dragon Age 2 review but hey, shit happens you know? That doesn't mean you can't reedem yourselves. Jew golds are fun and all but integrity is more important, right?
Are you threatening to boycot a website because you don't agree with an opinion? I just wanna make sure I'm getting this right. An entire website... with a huge amount of multi-subject media... with not direct connection to the game you are angry about...

Who are you and where do you buy your backwards logic?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
We'll see.

I do wonder how much that's going to contribute towards hitting people's data caps in places like Australia and Canada though.

Lunar Templar said:
i remain unsurprised

Aeshi said:

If that was a dastardly dig, we shall toast to it with cocktails. (Otherwise, I'll spit one out on you.)

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
A Blizzard product having server trouble when millions of players try playing at the exact same time?
SHOCK. AND. SURPRISE.

The same thing happens with every single Blizzard game.
They always say "our servers are fucking amazing" and such, but goddamnit they should be able to do better than this. Even right now, the servers are down for some quick maintenance to fix some weird lag that some players are having, making it impossible to even play the game.
I guess on the bright side, they are fixing it right away instead of having the lag go on and potentially get worse.

Either way, the server trouble is annoying, but it doesn't change the fact that I am having a fucking blast playing this game.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
WMDogma said:
Blizzard's requirement that players always be connected to the internet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112528-Diablo-3-Always-Online-Requirement-Helps-Fight-Hackers-Says-Blizzard], even for single player, has more than likely exacerbated the problem.
*in best condescending Carol Channing voice* Well maybe you shouldn't have made that a requirement!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Not entirely unexpected. I unlocked my copy at 12:30 last night, and tried logging in sporadically for the next two hours. I was only able to log in at 11 o' clock this morning, and managed to play until 2:30.

I lost my connection with the server.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. StarCraft II had its own problems, and D3 is no exception. Either Activision realizes that always-online DRM is more of a nuisance to their own infrastructure than they'd like to admit, or they at least apologize for having poorly estimated the overall demand.

My guess is we'll be looking at one or two weeks of wibbly server activity before things get resolved.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Aeshi said:

Why shouldn't I? Its a stupid move that would ruin me if I played the game as my internet dies on me a lot. Hell, I wasn't able to use the internet from home for a month, I ended up just doing it on my lunch breaks in university.

And as I've said before, I live in an area with a damn uni and these problems still exist. I don't see how companies want to continue to punish me for something I can do absolutely nothing about.

And the arsehole pirates continue on being able to play any game they want. Or at least they will when this gets cracked.

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
My husband did not buy this game for the reason of being always connected. As a member of the armed forces, it's really hard to connect in the middle of the ocean for 6+ months. As for the launch...I was wondering why Bree in LotRO suddenly became extremely crowded. This isn't Blizzard's first run at this, they know better. I call this an Epic Fail on their part.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Oh goody, another insane launch because they underestimate the demand. Just like TOR trying to limit how many people could play at launch and failing utterly.
I called it. I fucking called it. And does this really surprise anyone at all?
TOR has too many servers, actually.

The fact you effectively can't play this game without an internet connection makes me mad, though, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't derive some satisfaction from this.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I've had zero issues logging in. It's been pretty smooth for me.

First impressions of the game are not great and it's just annoying that I can't play on a higher difficulty than normal until I've completed the game once. That combined with the always-on DRM is making the game feel so restrictive, like I have zero choice over how I want to play this game. It's weird.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Alumatine said:
Are you threatening to boycot a website because you don't agree with an opinion? I just wanna make sure I'm getting this right. An entire website... with a huge amount of multi-subject media... with not direct connection to the game you are angry about...

Who are you and where do you buy your backwards logic?
Where were you when they taught reading comprehension at school? Read my post again.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Well, European servers seem to be fucked. Got a "Error 12 - this account does not have a license." at first, then tried out the other servers and they seem to be fine. Now it's just stuck at retrieving hero list.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Zer_ said:
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
Yep. You didn't get achievements or anything of the like, but who cares. At least the functionality was there.
In Diablo 3, drops are server-side. That's to prevent people from getting data about items, coming up with duping methods, then ruining the market. Like in Diablo 2.

The Forlorn

May 15, 2012
Mandatory internet access, for single player? That is immeasurably idiotic, if not least because some people will now not purchase the game.

We already have massive bandwidth issues, so even if you have the capability to be constantly jacked in, you might well be dropping packets faster than you can pick them up, depending on location and time of day.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Let's see here... people complaining about always on internet... regrettable but in the long run potentially helping to prevent piracy (this traffic will pass) and looking like the new blizzard model.

People complaining about Blizzard being unprepared... maybe but I still find it hard to think that they could accurately guess traffic rates on day one. I'll let there underestimating go.

Someone said that blizzard is nickle and dimeing customers... HAHAHA... no. With all their employees working over time for these last few months to finish Diablo 3 I doubt if there doing anything short of putting all there effort into makeing this thing work.

Somebody saying the pirated version will be just as good. Maybe. Blizzard doesn't really give a shit if you're running ona private server though since they aren't paying for it and you don't have access to their services and you aren't contribution to their gameplay environment. It's a lost sale but at least its not leeching off the company. That you can't earn money with a pirated version since there will be no real money marketplace (outside of the existing black market).

Now that I'm done venting on that... That's really unfortunate. I wish Blizzard had tried to work its server architecture to prevent this but I understand if there is an issue on day 1. I'll be watching and expecting a complete fix by day 7 though.

J9ACK9

Mar 10, 2010
Adam Jensen stole my sentence.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed Diablo. I bought it back in '97, I bought Diablo 2 on release day along with everybody else, but I wasn't about to wait twelve goddamn years for the third one.

Torchlight was a clone? Yep. A perfect clone of a fantastic game becomes a fantastic clone.

Twenty bucks apiece? I'm sold.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Nick Thaler said:
Sorry, but who the fuck is going to be playing this game in 50-60 years? Given how much computers have changed there's no guarantee the computers of then would even use the same type of electronics (we might have advanced to Quantum Computers or something), let alone that they would be capable of installing it (I mean good luck playing a game on a Floppy Disk on a modern computer)

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Aeshi said:
Sorry, but who the fuck is going to be playing this game in 50-60 years? Given how much computers have changed there's no guarantee the computers of then would even use the same type of electronics (we might have advanced to Quantum Computers or something), let alone that they would be capable of installing it (I mean good luck playing a game on a Floppy Disk on a modern computer)
I would assume the same kind of person who would watch films made in the 50s in 2012. But I guess that sounds equally ridiculous to you right? Why should we bother to make our media and entertainment last?

Imagine if a game like Super Mario Brothers had this shit in it. People still play that game today and I bet still will be in decades to come because it's a great game.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
While I agree with you in principal, the idea that we won't be able to play Diablo3 if we REALLY want to in 50-60 years is just silly. Someone will have a workaround. I don't have the DRM manuals from my old games but I can still play those.

Oh and it is still very possible to play old floppy games, there are communities and services built around playing old games, like GOG.com.

Again, I agree with you on the issue of making us play on their servers, however the argument of us not being able to play in 50-60 years is a dumb one.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
I'm totally going off on a slight tangent here, as I don't own Diablo 3 and have no plans on getting it for exactly this reason; I don't like playing multiplayer games, and not being able to play by myself in an offline server was just too stupid for even me to accept. (I accept much in the name of games I want!)

When ME3 came out, a lot of people were complaining that EA's marketing was disgusting, that they had bought reviews, and that they oversaturated the market with advertising.

I'd just like to say Blizzard can officially put on their floaties and jump in the boat with them. I humbly submit the evidence:

[http://i.imgur.com/MD8gB.jpg]

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
nothing i say hasn't already been said but here is my 2 cents any way. If we all had thought about it hard enough we could have foreseen this happening. the shear size of the diablo franchise fan base means that the likely hood of problems on launch day, for a game required to be on line, is pretty much a certainty. I'm now kinda glad that i wont be able to afford it for a couple of weeks, hopefully some of the issues have been fixed by then.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
No way. The always-online DRM bullshit is getting in people's way? Well, I never would have expected that precise thing to have happened. I mean, DRM never gets in the way of legitimate customers; it's there to keep the pirates from playing the game. It's not like there've been any other companies who've taken flak for getting in the way of legitimate customers before. That'd be ridiculous.

inb4 "It's not DRM, it's there to prevent cheats". Right, because there's no way to just let people run separate singleplayer in an offline mode. That borders the brink of sheer madness.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
In Diablo 3, drops are server-side. That's to prevent people from getting data about items, coming up with duping methods, then ruining the market. Like in Diablo 2.
You can easily compartmentalize, as in retain server side drops while providing drops client side in a separate file for single player.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Entirely non-unexpected. I'm just downloading the client now, and I'll wait a few days for the excitment to die down before I start off with it.

Sort of considering doing a Let's Play. I generally suck at Diablo, so it'd be amusing if nothing else.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Sleekit said:
Diablo died when Blizzard North was closed and dispersed.
Fortunately we have Runic, who are pretty much the same thing and they are bringing us Torchlight 2 in the not too distant future.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Eggbert said:
No way. The always-online DRM bullshit is getting in people's way? Well, I never would have expected that precise thing to have happened. I mean, DRM never gets in the way of legitimate customers; it's there to keep the pirates from playing the game. It's not like there've been any other companies who've taken flak for getting in the way of legitimate customers before. That'd be ridiculous.

inb4 "It's not DRM, it's there to prevent cheats". Right, because there's no way to just let people run separate singleplayer in an offline mode. That borders the brink of sheer madness.
Can I hug you? That was awesome!

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
i remain unsurprised

Aeshi said:

Yeah, they should stop complaining and just enjoy playing the new game they just bough- ooooh...

Jan 22, 2011
gee I wonder if it was good idea to make this online only now blizzard. I would have more sarcasm to throw around, however it's been covered enough so far.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
2 things here. The first thing is you'd think a company famous for it's MMORPG with millions and millions of players would be able to handle millions and millions of players on launch day. Secondly what benefit is there to have to stay connected to play single player? I bet if people didn't have to do that that there'd have been no server problems.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
i feel bad for the people that want to play it, also glad that i did not buy it.

but seariously why are games that require an always online connection of this type (phone home) having this problem,especially from a big publisher? did they not look into how many people pre ordered and make an educated guess as to how much stress their servers would be under and take appropriate action?

Covarr said:
Sonic 4: Episode II may not be a great game, but right now it holds the distinct advantage of being a playable game. It looks like I chose the right May 15 game to preorder.

P.S. Thanks
this had me chuckling for a good five minutes when i saw it

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
People still have trouble logging in? That went away, in the EU at least, about 3 hours after launch. The more current problem is that today during peak hours (evening to midnight), the game was laggy. And I don't mean 200 ms, I mean 500+, making it practically unplayable.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
ravenshrike said:
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
I hope to god that this is the truth.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Lord_Jaroh said:
ravenshrike said:
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
I hope to god that this is the truth.
It's really not that difficult to do so much as very time consuming. Get 5 copies of the game and then run them side by side recording all net traffic while recording gameplay with fraps, making sure timestamps between fraps and your sniffer are synchronized. Enough drops or enemies of the same type and you should be able to crack the encryption relatively easily, all things considered. Actually easier for the base filesystem if the encryption key on the files differs between login names, though that's probably unlikely. I think.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wonder when some industrious person will make an offline hack so people who bought this game will be able to play it?

I'm happy with Star Wars and City of Heroes. Let me know when Blizz stops screwing over its "much appreciated" customers.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Aeshi said:

Being "for" pro-consumerism doesn't make you stuck-up or indie. It has a singleplayer component that requires you to not only log in to play, but to maintain a connection because AI and attack algorithms are handled by the server as well. Honestly, if you're not even SLIGHTLY angry that Blizzard thinks that's a good thing to have, as apposed to an appalling waste of resources and bandwidth, you have to rethink your affiliations.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
Lunar Templar said:
i remain unsurprised

Aeshi said:

Yeah, they should stop complaining and just enjoy playing the new game they just bough- ooooh...
or any game really.

don't get when people complain when it doesn't effect them.
not saying some of the people complain aren't effected by this, just that a lot of them seem to have had no interest in playing it to begin with and are going 'see?!' to act superior or something.

:p and i've had enough time to get a demon hunter to 10 and a barb to 9 so its not that bad (i take the time to explore every nook and crany)

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
DTH1337 said:

Tbh, I expected launch day to be like this. And thats saying something. I did not trust blizzard to pull off a good launch, I expected servers would be shit.

And thats pretty sad. I expect to get bad service, I expect to not be able to play the game I've paid for. Where is Jim Sterling when you need him? :<

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Heh, seems that the hamster hasn't so much fallen off the wheel as it got catapulted out of it and bounced around the room for a while. All of battle-net is currently down.

Exterminas said:
What all the wisecracks seem to forget:
These issues aren't at launch, they are several hours after launch, during the first peak hour the game is released.

This isn't some kind of super-rush on the servers at 00:00, it is completely expectable traffic
Except for midnight launches most game stores open at around 9-10 am and then there's people getting off work, out of school etc. Also time zones. Launch "hour" is more along the lines of 12-24 hours long.

GiantRaven said:
Nick Thaler said:
GiantRaven said:
I would assume the same kind of person who would watch films made in the 50s in 2012. But I guess that sounds equally ridiculous to you right? Why should we bother to make our media and entertainment last?

Imagine if a game like Super Mario Brothers had this shit in it. People still play that game today and I bet still will be in decades to come because it's a great game.

Oh man yea, imagine if I wanted to boot up an original copy of Spacewar!
Err no wait, things have changed so much there's exactly one computer in the world able to run it

Let's try Vette! instead, that's only 20 or so yeas old after all. I'm sure it'll require a whole bunch of fuckery well beyond the average computer user for it to run, but that's fine. I'll just pop this floppy dis.... oh wait no.

Well what about Dungeon Keeper 2? That's about 10 years old so it comes on a CD. Installs happily, boots up but all sorts of colour issues... and oh look it just crashed to desktop for no reason at all.

But no, you're so right net connection is going to be the biggest problem with playing Diablo 3 50 years from now.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
The servers are down, when trying to connect to the server it doesnt say disconnected, it says password is wrong.

Millions of people go onto the website for account managing and serverstatus check to reset their password. Website for server status checking goes down.

Diablo 3 status.

Website - Down.
Servers - Down.

Great job Blizzard. You 'really' know how to handle a launch. You just couldnt wait that one week more and fetch a couple of new servers for the initial rush.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Huh. Imagine that. A game with a heavy dependance on server-side communication is having server issues on its first day.

Well that's a terrible shame. You know, if only the game had contained some sort of special mode that you could turn on which would allow you to play the game without connecting to a server. Perhaps that would mean that this special "mode" might even be playable offline! HA! Could you imagine being able to play this "offline mode"? What an idea! I only wish we had the technology to make it possible.

Oh wait, that's right, Diablo 2 does that, doesn't it?

And Diablo 3 was originally promised to have that same functionality too, wasn't it?

Excuse me, I'm going to go cry again, because I've just reminded myself that Blizzard and I were in such an abusive relationship, and I just had to break it off for my own well-being even though we were in love. No, no, it's okay, I'll be fine. Honest. ;_;

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
You know, I can't help but wonder if opening the game to preloaders a few days early would have had most of the bugs worked out by the time the store-boughts got on.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Well absolutely nobody saw this coming. But, within a day or so, they'll get it mostly up again and they'll be off and running. Then they'll release a statement about how "thrilled" they are by the "record demand for Diablo III", perhaps along with a rough estimate for how many bajillions the game's sale has brought in and some initial figure to show the real-money auction house is already active, rounding up with a reminder for "those few still experiencing difficulty logging onto battle.net" to submit support tickets and thanking everyone for their enthusiasm. Then wooo, off it rockets into the stratosphere to hang out along with SC2 or even WoW in popularity for the next decade. I don't like what they did with D3 (and as a result just didn't bother buying it) but before long all this fuss will just be forgotten and the people who like D3 will be playing it and the people who don't, wont.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I pre-ordered torchlight 2 today and I never do that.

Screw always on DRM. Its nobody's business but my own when I play, how long I play and who I play with.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
What baffles me is the "everyone should have seen this coming" excuse. Okay... so if we, as consumers, knew that this was going to happen, why do they, as developers, do nothing about it?

I'm not saying that Battle.net's Diablo III team wasn't hard at work crunching numbers all night, whilst trying to make things work for the loyal fans that purchased their game at midnight, but how were they not more prepared? Blizzard has been beating their chest over the massive number of pre-orders for a long time now. Now not only are log in errors running rampant, several people are reporting their characters missing from their Heroes list for no reason.

I have no idea how any of this ACTUALLY works. I mean, I'm sure companies don't just look at launch days of their games and not give a shit because the consumer should EXPECT to have problems on launch day, but has everything that could have possibly been done to prepare really been done? This is not a smart-ass question; I don't pretend to be one of those gamers that understand how these things work, despite knowing nothing. It just confuses me how every single online game has this issue, and every single time the consumer is expected to just accept that.

Again, not trying to be an asshole or anything, but isn't it just a little strange? Companies track pre-orders and don't seem to prepare servers accordingly. I'm sure it's not that easy, but I'd like to find out sometime.

ProtonGuy

Apr 7, 2011
"Mar"? There is no "Mar" here, Hell there wasn't even a launch. Myself and 9 friends bought this thing 24 hours ago and we haven't even seen the opening cinematic! It's not like this is their first rodeo either, they set the bar for massive online play, and the launches there of.

I'm sorry Blizzard but I'm done with decade long development cycles, and launches so horrific H.P. Lovecraft could write about them if he were alive today. God forbid I may even subscribe to Tera, and renew my Star Wars time.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Aeshi said:

Being "for" pro-consumerism doesn't make you stuck-up or indie. It has a singleplayer component that requires you to not only log in to play, but to maintain a connection because AI and attack algorithms are handled by the server as well. Honestly, if you're not even SLIGHTLY angry that Blizzard thinks that's a good thing to have, as apposed to an appalling waste of resources and bandwidth, you have to rethink your affiliations.
No but, swarming any thread with the words "Diablo III" to post "OMG ERROR 37 LOL!!!!!" "GOOD THING I BOUGHT [INSERT INDIE VERSION HERE] AND WASN'T A MINDLESS SHEEP!!!" and overall harass/annoy anyone who actually did buy the game to enjoy because it's easier than complaining to Blizzard or actually doing anything about the DRM makes you stuck-up.

If these are the sort of people always-on DRM keeps from playing the game then I'm bloody glad Diablo III has it.

SL33TBL1ND

Nov 9, 2008
WMDogma said:
Blizzard's requirement that players always be connected to the internet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112528-Diablo-3-Always-Online-Requirement-Helps-Fight-Hackers-Says-Blizzard], even for single player, has more than likely exacerbated the problem.
All they needed to do was use a system that actually made sense and nowhere near as many people would be annoyed.

Come on Blizzard, you're better than this.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
MasterSaji said:
Server issues? At launch?!

But seriously, as Fappy brought up, thank god for LAN-play and single player.
You can't play without logging into the servers--there is no "reaL' singe player.

Or did you know that and I missed the sarcasm? In that case... I'll just be over there >_>

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Aeshi said:
No but, swarming any thread with the words "Diablo III" to post "OMG ERROR 37 LOL!!!!!" "GOOD THING I BOUGHT [INSERT INDIE VERSION HERE] AND WASN'T A MINDLESS SHEEP!!!" and overall harass/annoy anyone who actually did buy the game to enjoy because it's easier than complaining to Blizzard or actually doing anything about the DRM makes you stuck-up.

If these are the sort of people always-on DRM keeps from playing the game then I'm bloody glad Diablo III has it.
I haven't seen any of that. I know Torchlight 2 is getting a lot of press but it's hardly "indie," and it's apt in the Diablo III conversation because it's being developed by the team who made Diablo II. I haven't seen it reaching obnoxious levels yet, though really... who wouldn't be happy to see they backed the horse that doesn't lock them out of their game for arbitrary dev-side issues?

The conversation should be about the game and its system, not the people. That's like saying "oh well I can't support x because y supports it and I hate y!" People are voicing their concerns. No matter who those people are, the argument remains the same - so focus on the argument itself. Otherwise you'll end up constructing strawmen and that isn't a good way to debate anything.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
halfeclipse said:
Err no wait, things have changed so much there's exactly one computer in the world able to run it

Let's try Vette! instead, that's only 20 or so yeas old after all. I'm sure it'll require a whole bunch of fuckery well beyond the average computer user for it to run, but that's fine. I'll just pop this floppy dis.... oh wait no.

Well what about Dungeon Keeper 2? That's about 10 years old so it comes on a CD. Installs happily, boots up but all sorts of colour issues... and oh look it just crashed to desktop for no reason at all.

But no, you're so right net connection is going to be the biggest problem with playing Diablo 3 50 years from now.
Actually Dungeon Keeper 2 is pretty easy to get running perfectly, aside from that, if only there was some sort of game distribution that we could do digitally, so that we wouldn't have to worry about older game installation problems, if only there was some way to check once to make sure the game wasn't pirated, I agree that the time-frame given is absurd, but you can't just write off the always online crap by assuming that means it will work better than the games you mentioned.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Aeshi said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Aeshi said:

Bullshit. I've gone through every page of this thread, nobody here who dislikes this ever went after somebody who did not directly antagonize them, and of course people have complained to blizzard, here's a thread of 200+ pages (4000+ posts) long of customers who can't play the game: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4077738283?page=1
and what do you expect us to do about the DRM? There's only two options, 1. don't buy it, 2. Pirate/crack it, which goes against the point of having the DRM.

If you think this DRM will keep stuck up people from the servers, or stop people from pirating it, then I really feel sorry for you.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
halfeclipse said:
http://spacewar.oversigma.com/

In 50 years time you'll probably be able to run Crysis in the future equivalent of Java. And yes, Spacewar (and the specs of the hardware it ran on) is in the public domain so there should not be any legal issues regarding an emulator for it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I find it sad, funny and ironic all at the same time...

That I'm playing Diablo 1 on my PS2 (and enjoying my single-player) while laughing my tits off about the problems Blizzard is having ATM with their servers. I now feel vindicated that I cancelled my Collector's Edition pre-order of D3 and put that money instead towards Borderlands 2, Trials: Evolution and Torchlight 2.

However, I wish all the luck in the world to the people that did buy the game that they will eventually enjoy it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Best part is, no one will remember this in a month, but everyone will whine anyway :p

Always online DRM is dumb no matter how you swing it though. Hey if they just let you play offline single player, these complaints wouldn't be here.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
The onl;y problem I had was single player LAG, LAG IN SINGLE PLAYER WTF Blizzard, anyway 15 hours later the server shut down and booted me off, act 1 is done though XD

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Well, since I didn't buy the game, I see one good thing and one bad thing about this:

Bad thing: I have a lot of coworkers that do play it. I have to listen to it ALL DAY.
Good thing: I have a lot of coworkers that do play it. I get to have a giggle at their expense.

Blizzard Entertainment: Entertainment by Any Means Necessary

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
sms_117b said:
The only problem I had was single player LAG, LAG IN SINGLE PLAYER WTF Blizzard
This is a side effect of their decision to require an online connection even while playing single player: since most of the calculations (drops, etc) are done on their servers, it means that their servers receive a lot of requests very, very often and that means you're making demands of their already-overstressed servers even while playing in single player. Which means, surprise, you'll actually experience lag in a single player game. Doesn't that just liven the experience up for you? :p

This is why many people point to the broken promise of "no offline single player" as their reason for not buying it. We could have told you this would happen. And in many cases we did. Everyone was just too caught up in being excited for the title that they didn't realize they wouldn't even be able to play it on their first day of ownership.

And from a company like Blizzard, this sort of problem is inexcusable and further highlights the laziness they've allowed to seep into their development cycle. It's amazing how much they think they can get away with....and sadly enough, they're completely right, because once people get over their rage at not being able to play their single-player game due to server strain, they'll be right back to saying "OMG D3 BEST GAME EVAR" and giving it 10s and ignoring its flaws. No one seems to care much about holding Blizzard accountable for its mistakes. *shrug*

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Zer_ said:
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
You can easily compartmentalize, as in retain server side drops while providing drops client side in a separate file for single player.
No. If you give any drop table to the client, people WILL find a way to get dupes and cheats online.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
GiantRaven said:

You are forgetting that gaming and film are two very different mediums. You just cant compare them like that. Hell I you could even get the bloody game to run on a computer in 20 years.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Antari said:
If they'd made sure the release went smoothly they probably wouldn't have to worry about loosing half the userbase within the first couple of months.
Somehow I don't think they're worrying about that.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
This makes my "should-have-left-it-offline" argument better for me than anything I could have come up with (or DID come up with, if anyone finds that thread).

Blizzard, Blizzard, Blizzard, just allow me to pat you on the back, put a warm hand on your shoulder, and say I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Warachia said:
Bullshit. I've gone through every page of this thread, nobody here who dislikes this ever went after somebody who did not directly antagonize them, and of course people have complained to blizzard, here's a thread of 200+ pages (4000+ posts) long of customers who can't play the game: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4077738283?page=1
and what do you expect us to do about the DRM? There's only two options, 1. don't buy it, 2. Pirate/crack it, which goes against the point of having the DRM.

If you think this DRM will keep stuck up people from the servers, or stop people from pirating it, then I really feel sorry for you.
You know, when I was a kid, if I couldn't log on to the internet or something, I just went outside or read some sci-fi or whatever. I realize some of you blew 60$ on this, but why oh why would you sit behind your computer for eight hours trying to log on? I realize you have been waiting for this for years but most of you are adults. I know I started several topics about how "it's just a game" isn't an acceptable response to the issues surrounding gaming, but come on! You guys are better than this.

You've been around the block a few times. Day 1 launches have been clusterfucks since gaming went digital. Yes I realize that Blizzard screwed up big time, but some of you skipped work and class to play this. What the hell?

EDIT: Also, back in my day, AOL and 56k was king, and we dethroned them both as soon as we got the chance.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
No. If you give any drop table to the client, people WILL find a way to get dupes and cheats online.
So you're saying that having the drops client-side is the only way to dupe/cheat? That must be why no MMO has ever had item duplication bugs or hacking of any kind.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
So you're saying that having the drops client-side is the only way to dupe/cheat? That must be why no MMO has ever had item duplication bugs or hacking of any kind.
I haven't realized MMOs have item and monster drop data EXCLUSIVELY on player's PC!

How about read a bit about the subject, then you'll understand why they did what they did.

hellsop

Feb 28, 2009
Baresark said:
Xannidel said:

While they did say from the first moment that it will have an internet connection required and be always on, did it ever occur to you that it annoys people who buy a game like this and then cannot play it for that reason, especially in light of it not being a necessary part of the actual gameplay? I understand, all the crying and what not is annoying, but crying about crying isn't making leaps and bounds into new territory either. :p
Let's make this a little clearer: "*I* have an internet connection, and it is working. That requirement is not unfulfilled. It is *your fault* that your servers are not working and denying me access to what I paid for." That's a HUGE difference.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
hellsop said:
Let's make this a little clearer: "*I* have an internet connection, and it is working. That requirement is not unfulfilled. It is *your fault* that your servers are not working and denying me access to what I paid for." That's a HUGE difference.
I agree completely. I didn't mean it to sound different than that, so I apologize for not making myself clear. I was saying the people have every right to be annoyed the game server issues interrupting the experience they payed for. We all know this issue wouldn't be happening if the game was simply allowed to have a true single player experience.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
If people dont like Blizz's "always connected"-policy, theres LOADS of other diablo-like games that doesnt require it. Play those, and us others that dont mind play D3. Its like rambling over a tv-show you dont like and dont watch.

Is this even worth discussing and bickering over?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Warachia said:
Bullshit. I've gone through every page of this thread, nobody here who dislikes this ever went after somebody who did not directly antagonize them
So one Diablo III thread out of dozens is free from flat-out antagonisation, big fucking whoop.

Crono1973 said:
oggebogge91 said:

Warachia said:
and of course people have complained to blizzard, here's a thread of 200+ pages (4000+ posts) long of customers who can't play the game: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4077738283?page=1
Servers are overwhelmed by tons of people trying to connect to them all at once, that's just how servers work. Blizzard flat-out said this would (probably) happen. Perhaps those people should've cancelled their pre-orders if it bothers them that bad.
Warachia said:
Exactly! If you don't like the DRM don't buy the goddamn game. Why did you buy it if you knew from the start you would hate it? Never ceases to amaze me how people can mistake their own stupidity for a lack of fairness.
Warachia said:
And where did I say it would stop people from pirating? I know odds are good that pirates will find a way around the DRM eventually (which, as always, seems to mean we should just give up altogether) but given how much of this game is supposedly server-side I don't think it'll be easy for them, and nor should we make it.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Warachia said:
halfeclipse said:

Actually Dungeon Keeper 2 is pretty easy to get running perfectly, aside from that, if only there was some sort of game distribution that we could do digitally, so that we wouldn't have to worry about older game installation problems, if only there was some way to check once to make sure the game wasn't pirated, I agree that the time-frame given is absurd, but you can't just write off the always online crap by assuming that means it will work better than the games you mentioned.
Unless someones figured something new out since I last tried, DK2 really doesn't play well with Vista and 7. You can run it, but save often.

Not saying it will work better, simply that by time the server thing becomes an issue, there's almost certain to be an emulator for it (Assuming there's any real demand for it anyways) especially since blizzards proven they're perfectly willing to keep servers up long term (Something like 17 years for the original Diablo now?)

Besides, we'd have the same problems even if there was a pure offline option for Diablo 3. Battle-net is the main reason Diablo was so great, LAN and TCP/IP ended up being used mostly by pirates (And really), or people who lost the CD keys and needed to use a keygen (which the new system renders moot.)

Vie said:
halfeclipse said:
http://spacewar.oversigma.com/

In 50 years time you'll probably be able to run Crysis in the future equivalent of Java. And yes, Spacewar (and the specs of the hardware it ran on) is in the public domain so there should not be any legal issues regarding an emulator for it.

Someone had to create an emulator for that to work, and that only happened because the game is rather iconic. If no one had bothered, you'd be shit out of luck.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
What baffles me is the "everyone should have seen this coming" excuse. Okay... so if we, as consumers, knew that this was going to happen, why do they, as developers, do nothing about it?

-snip-
Exactly what I'm freaking talking about. Nobody is surprised by this turnout, so they sure as hell don't have an excuse. But, they're going to be able to pull it together and call it a success, just because it's Blizzard. If you couldn't read the scathing frustration before, you can now.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
No, they won't, not if it's a different drop table. Also, 95% of the drops in Diablo are randomized. On top of that all they have to do is add extra code to the B.Net drop tables that assigns hash tags generated by an algorithm to the save files. All this is done server side, the client won't even load these hash tags. Should the code get leaked, then they just patch it, change the algorithm and recalculate on current save files, easy as fuck.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Warachia said:

You know, when I was a kid, if I couldn't log on to the internet or something, I just went outside or read some sci-fi or whatever. I realize some of you blew 60$ on this, but why oh why would you sit behind your computer for eight hours trying to log on? I realize you have been waiting for this for years but most of you are adults. I know I started several topics about how "it's just a game" isn't an acceptable response to the issues surrounding gaming, but come on! You guys are better than this.

You've been around the block a few times. Day 1 launches have been clusterfucks since gaming went digital. Yes I realize that Blizzard screwed up big time, but some of you skipped work and class to play this. What the hell?

EDIT: Also, back in my day, AOL and 56k was king, and we dethroned them both as soon as we got the chance.
Actually, I'm with you on this, I don't have a very good internet today, which is why I'll go for a walk, read a book, or just play games offline when my internet fails, not being able to play a game isn't the end of the world, but I don't see how any of this excuses Diablo 3.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Big post:
Aeshi said:
Warachia said:
Bullshit. I've gone through every page of this thread, nobody here who dislikes this ever went after somebody who did not directly antagonize them
So one Diablo III thread out of dozens is free from flat-out antagonisation, big fucking whoop.
Oh Bullshit, you can't decry my example simply because you don't like it.
Incidentally, posting that you had no problems in a thread talking about problems comes off as bragging about how lucky you were.

Aeshi said:
Warachia said:
and of course people have complained to blizzard, here's a thread of 200+ pages (4000+ posts) long of customers who can't play the game: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4077738283?page=1
Servers are overwhelmed by tons of people trying to connect to them all at once, that's just how servers work. Blizzard flat-out said this would (probably) happen. Perhaps those people should've cancelled their pre-orders if it bothers them that bad.
More Bullshit, you asked people to complain to Blizzard, I showed you where they did, Blizzard rums the largest MMO, they should have been more than prepared for this, and how the hell could they have possibly known it would be this bad? Going by your logic, you might as well not reply to this, due to something I might or might not say five posts later.

Aeshi said:
Warachia said:
Exactly! If you don't like the DRM don't buy the goddamn game. Why did you buy it if you knew from the start you would hate it? Never ceases to amaze me how people can mistake their own stupidity for a lack of fairness.
So I'm supposed to just hate everything new? I had no idea Diablo 3 would be this bad before yesterday, I had no idea that all the monster and item drops would be handled server side, and if I did buy the game I'd consider it stupidity on both the customer and the developer's part, one for including it, and the other for buying it.

Aeshi said:
Warachia said:
And where did I say it would stop people from pirating? I know odds are good that pirates will find a way around the DRM eventually (which, as always, seems to mean we should just give up altogether) but given how much of this game is supposedly server-side I don't think it'll be easy for them, and nor should we make it.
No, we should not make it easy for pirates, but it shouldn't hurt the customer like this, there are other ways of doing DRM that are far better, the biggest thing that pisses me off, is that in these scenarios the pirates end up with the better deal once they crack the DRM.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
halfeclipse said:
Warachia said:
halfeclipse said:

Unless someones figured something new out since I last tried, DK2 really doesn't play well with Vista and 7. You can run it, but save often.
Just run it in compatibility mode, Windows XP service pack 2, disable visual themes and desktop composition, if that doesn't work, run it in 256 colours as well as run it as an administrator, everybody I've talked to after giving them this has had the game run with no problems, at least none due to the games fault or Microsoft's.)

Besides, we'd have the same problems even if there was a pure offline option for Diablo 3. Battle-net is the main reason Diablo was so great, LAN and TCP/IP ended up being used mostly by pirates (And really), or people who lost the CD keys and needed to use a keygen (which the new system renders moot.)
Yes, it's not like friends used it to play co-op with other friends when they were younger, it's not like people still use LAN with other games for reasons than pirates.

In the entire time I played Diablo 2 (several years starting from when the game first came out) I never once got into battle.net, at all, partially due to server problems, partially due to bad internet, and even without it I still saw it as a great game, with this limitation, I'd never have been able to play it, and as I've said before, I still physically cannot play Diablo 3 due to internet problems.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Warachia said:
halfeclipse said:
Warachia said:
halfeclipse said:

Just run it in compatibility mode, Windows XP service pack 2, disable visual themes and desktop composition, if that doesn't work, run it in 256 colours as well as run it as an administrator, everybody I've talked to after giving them this has had the game run with no problems, at least none due to the games fault or Microsoft's.)

Yes, it's not like friends used it to play co-op with other friends when they were younger, it's not like people still use LAN with other games for reasons than pirates.

In the entire time I played Diablo 2 (several years starting from when the game first came out) I never once got into battle.net, at all, partially due to server problems, partially due to bad internet, and even without it I still saw it as a great game, with this limitation, I'd never have been able to play it, and as I've said before, I still physically cannot play Diablo 3 due to internet problems.
Actually people with ATi cards will have a lot of trouble running DK2. New ATI cards don't support 16-bit Z-Buffering, which is what DK2 uses. The only option is to use some customized DLL files like DDraw.dll and put them in your application folder.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
I wouldnt like to be working in customer support in blizzard right now, if emails and nerd rage could kill they'd need to hire alot of new staff :|

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
See? This is why required online connectivity is a terrible fucking idea.

Anyone who tries to justify it can now fuck right off.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Zer_ said:
Actually people with ATi cards will have a lot of trouble running DK2. New ATI cards don't support 16-bit Z-Buffering, which is what DK2 uses. The only option is to use some customized DLL files like DDraw.dll and put them in your application folder.
Huh, I've never heard of this problem before, although after looking it up, it seems to be true, in that case it is more of a hardware issue than any software issue like we were discussing, and as such I don't really consider it a valid point, since we were talking about games not working on computers that could otherwise support them.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Warachia said:
Zer_ said:
Huh, I've never heard of this problem before, although after looking it up, it seems to be true, in that case it is more of a hardware issue than any software issue like we were discussing, and as such I don't really consider it a valid point, since we were talking about games not working on computers that could otherwise support them.
Getting around the Hardware problems involves installing Ubuntu and running the game in Wine. Just worth saying. Also hardware issues are always part of the discussion. DK2 has had issues with hardware since it came out.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Warachia said:
Actually, I'm with you on this, I don't have a very good internet today, which is why I'll go for a walk, read a book, or just play games offline when my internet fails, not being able to play a game isn't the end of the world, but I don't see how any of this excuses Diablo 3.
It doesn't, but I am bothered by the fact that there are people who feel totally lost and their life stops when their game does not kick in. There were posts in that thread you posted where people were saying they were spending hours in front of their computer for essentially nothing.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
After all this time how does anyone underestimate these things. You'd think they'd just go ahead rent a metric butt load of servers. Then start buying or loosing servers after that. Alas I hate games that are at the tied to company servers.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Zer_ said:
Warachia said:
Zer_ said:
Getting around the Hardware problems involves installing Ubuntu and running the game in Wine. Just worth saying. Also hardware issues are always part of the discussion. DK2 has had issues with hardware since it came out.
Hardware issues are not a part of this discussion, as I said, we were looking at computers that had the hardware required to run the games, but had some problem with the software on either the developers part, or the operating system itself that made it so you couldn't run the games.

Sure sucks that you have to go through that many hoops to run DK2 though, I bet it doesn't even run half decent when you are finished.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Well, now it looks like the other Blizzard games are now plagued with Diablo 3's server issues.

At least World of Warcraft is. Just about 30 minutes ago, (around 12:05 AM mountain time; May 17, 2012), all of the WoW servers suffered from horrendous lag spikes and now people who are still logged in can't do anything, and those that got booted can't get back on.

I've been though server issues before, but this is one of the worst.

Wonder what the fanboys have to say now.

EDIT: *gasp* It's back up! It didn't go down for two days! I'm a little surprised to tell the truth. For a moment, I thought the fecal matter had really hit the rapidly-rotating-bladed apparatus there.

So, it wasn't the worst but it was still pretty bad. The last time I saw latency in the quad-digits was when I had satellite internet.

Still stands that making Diablo 3 always require an internet connect is a bad idea. More so if it shares the same login server with WoW.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Maybe you shouldn't force people who bought a single player game to be online at all times. Hope you get your playing in now boys and girls because the day that Blizzardvision stops seeing a profit from their cash auction house, those servers are gone for good and you'll never get to play the game again.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Sylveria said:
Maybe you shouldn't force people who bought a single player game to be online at all times. Hope you get your playing in now boys and girls because the day that Blizzardvision stops seeing a profit from their cash auction house, those servers are gone for good and you'll never get to play the game again.
Kind of like how the Diablo II and Starcraft servers were taken down when they stopped being profita-oh no wait they're still up and running after 10 years.

Mudkipith

May 11, 2011
They already knew there were going to be issues, but didn't want to pay ahead of time.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Warachia said:
Oh Bullshit, you can't decry my example simply because you don't like it.
Incidentally, posting that you had no problems in a thread talking about problems comes off as bragging about how lucky you were.
"Posting that I had no problems?" where did I do that? (I don't even own Diablo III!)

Warachia said:
More Bullshit, you asked people to complain to Blizzard, I showed you where they did, Blizzard rums the largest MMO, they should have been more than prepared for this, and how the hell could they have possibly known it would be this bad? Going by your logic, you might as well not reply to this, due to something I might or might not say five posts later.
"The largest MMO" goes down every now and again for maintenance and I don't see mobs forming to scream about how unfair it is that they can't play the game they pay for when that happens.

(And don't give me "Diablo III isn't an MMO" I can name MMOs that have far less MMO in them than Diablo III does and they get away with it, apparently simply by virtue of having a different label on them.)

Warachia said:
So I'm supposed to just hate everything new? I had no idea Diablo 3 would be this bad before yesterday, I had no idea that all the monster and item drops would be handled server side, and if I did buy the game I'd consider it stupidity on both the customer and the developer's part, one for including it, and the other for buying it.
Yes. It's not Blizzards fault the game wasn't what you expected/imagined it to be (oh and thanks for that part where you imply everyone who bought Diablo III is a moron.)

Warachia said:
No, we should not make it easy for pirates, but it shouldn't hurt the customer like this, there are other ways of doing DRM that are far better, the biggest thing that pisses me off, is that in these scenarios the pirates end up with the better deal once they crack the DRM.
And what would those be? The RedProjekt (or whatever their name is)/World of Goo approach of "Ignore it and hope it goes away?" (because that's worked so well for them) Valve's "Treat Pirates like competitors?" mentality? (which seems to me it'd lead to the thought of "Well they can replicate anything we can do and offer it for free so we may as well just leave this market" but oh well)