Sexist Ad Lands EB Games Australia In Trouble

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
I can understand some of the concerns, but for the most part, the worst of it is that it's just a stupid ad.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
It certainly lacks tact, but isn't as bad as that new Dr. Pepper ad. I noticed the "Man's Guide To Trading" at the start. It is just as bad. The creators should be canned/reprimanded for the poor ad.
What Dr. Pepper ad? Is it that bad?

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
The words "A Man's Guide" and her dusting at the end was rather tasteless.

Everything else was more or less fine though, but the overall tone gave the impression that wives never play video games, which is kinda eh.

Sexist? Maybe a little. Overall it was just a bad ad, and if they meant the whole thing as a joke well it came off terribly.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I don't think that this is so much "girls not liking games" rather than "girls not liking their significant other spending too much time on games" to me, but thats just what I see.

And as for the cleaning, look, their are only 2 people living in the house! Just because the women is cleaning doesn't mean its sexist. This reminds me of when people got mad at RE5 (y'know, racial issues), I'm pretty sure the situations weren't meant to offend in this commercial just like the situations in RE5.

Point being, we just have some people who take advantage of situations to earn publicity and/or money.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
RaikuFA said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
It certainly lacks tact, but isn't as bad as that new Dr. Pepper ad. I noticed the "Man's Guide To Trading" at the start. It is just as bad. The creators should be canned/reprimanded for the poor ad.
What Dr. Pepper ad? Is it that bad?
Yeah, alienating half of their consumer base. Brilliant move.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Sparrow said:
This is about as sexist as I am female.

[small][sup]You see, it's funny because the topic is about sexism. No? Anybody? Not even a giggle?[/sup][/small]

Anyway. Yeah, really not seeing the issue here. If it was the other way around, with a woman buying the game and the bloke moaning, would anyone care? Seems like whining for the sake of whining to me.
Exactly what I thought. People need to stop thinking because something is representing a demographic doing a certain thing, it doesn't mean that that is all they do, or that they are the only ones that do it. It was like when mafia 2 was coming out, Italian interest groups were complaining about the fact that the game was about an Italian mob.

Feb 13, 2008
Offensive? No.

Horribly tacky and out of place? Yes.

The only thing that saves it from being offensive is that it's obviously parodying the 50s ads that were blatantly sexist.

It's just doing it so bloody awfully.

Oh: By the way, Sheila's Wheels. And every advert that shows dumb man and pretty wife.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
This is remarkably similar to how it goes with my girlfriend. I am not offended.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Rebellious_Gate said:
Never mind offensive, which it was. It's just plain awful. Not funny and would not make me want to buy my games there.
Thats what I'm thinking, with plain boring, poorly animated, unfunny, and week voice acting. As for sexism, the female character is nagging, but gives up her opinions when you buy her things. "I was mad that we don't spend enough time together, then you bought an expensive dinner so I don't care" thats the worst of it I think, other then its terrible production values. There are far more sexist ads out there though, ones that don't get called out as much.

MrAkuma201

Oct 28, 2009
lol best add ever (JK) I don't think it that bad its not like he slapped her and yelled at her to make him a sandwich. All I am try to say is it's not that bad.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Whether or not it's sexist it's just a flat-out crappy unfunny advert, I'd happily see this removed.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
It doesn't really seem all that offensive to me, but I'm male, so maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong side of the fence.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
so... given the reaction to this am I safe to say we will never see a black man in a KFC ad ever again? Cause you know, it would be a black guy eating KFC, so that's racist sterotypes.

And all those cleaning product ads, no more women allowed in them right? cause its showing a woman cleaning and that's sexist?

ESPECIALLY sexist if its clearly a blatant parody. So no more of those either?

amirite guize?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Lolth17 said:
As a female with a sense of humor, I can say that this is not funny. Sexist? Eh. But definitely doesn't make me want to rush out to EB games. Is there any need to have her dusting at the end? Really?

I think it would have been far more amusing had they done the whole '50s thing up more. Have her dressed like Donna Reed, have the house be full of torturously tacky fabrics. Either go full on satire, or don't do it, because if you half ass it like this, you end up pissing some people off, and simply not impressing everyone else.
I think I know what you're saying, it's trying to satirise 50's gender roles, but fails to go far enough and just ends up alienating everyone.
This is what the ad should have been like:

I wouldn't call this ad sexist. It's tasteless and poorly implemented, but not sexist.

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
Deathninja19 said:
Heaven said:
The fact that people complain about this guarantees that no one will ever take them seriously. People need to lighten up: if you don't want to be offended by something, just don't let it offend you. Is it sexist? Maybe, but it's also harmless. Anyway, it doesn't really matter if something is sexist or racist or whatever as long as it's funny, and that's where this one falls short.
While it's obviously no where near the same level would the civil rights movement happened if people didn't complain about institutionalised racism or would women have gotten the right to vote if the Sufferagetes complained about sexism.

Even if this is an inconsequential thing people should have the right to complain about it because at the end of the day if people are offended by something there is a problem and it needs to be adressed.
Except that isn't true. You're comparing an individual company's actions to systematic, government-sponsored discrimination, first of all. This is exactly the sort of overreaction I'm talking about. Even if you qualify your statement by saying that it's nowhere near the same level, you are still making that comparison instead of something closer to scale.

My second problem with that statement is the assertion that if people are offended by something, there is automatically a problem. EVERYTHING is offensive to some people, no matter what. PETA is offended that some people eat meat. Jack Thompson is offended by violent video games. Neither of these things constitutes a problem, and is simply the result of a few wackos trying to impose their views on everyone. End of the day, a mildly insensitive advertising campaign is something that does not need to be addressed because it isn't a real problem, and the vast majority of people, even if they don't like it, don't see it as worth complaining about or trying to change. This simply doesn't matter.