Sexsim: have the tables actually turned?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
oppp7 said:
No, we aren't. Women still have to deal with shit that men don't have to, and you can't say the same about the opposite. I have no idea why everyone on the internet is so against feminism.
I think its one of those cases where its good in theory but the practice has been bastardized to hell.
I mean you ask most people do you think men and women should be equal, and most people are going to be like of course, are you insane to suggest otherwise.
And yet a good chunk of the world cries this but still enacts "tradition". Ask a woman who should pay for dinner or a date, most are going to say the guy. Women expect gifts and other stuff from their boyfriends like flowers. I'm sorry but in this equal society where I'm making like 40k and you're making 40k why am I required to incur these extra costs? Oh because we're supposed to be gentlemen and fawn over you?
Granted not every female is like this, but it is things like this that are still widely prevalent in the western culture and ends up feeling a bit hypocritical to many men. It's like the whole argument of race back in the day. Separate but equal, oh yes it is separate and the illusion of equal is there but it isn't equal. In the case of feminism, sadly, many people practice not only equal, but better.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Sexism isn't some binary lightswitch or seesaw. The way the world works isn't that either men rock and women suck, or women rock and men suck. Nay, actually sexism is against both genders!

I won't claim to have created this idea I'm about to present, I read it on some of the feminist blogs I enjoy trawling, but sexism between genders tends to be linked, one exists because of the other. Here are some examples:

Women are pathetic damsels - Men are mighty mountains! (and don't say that this isn't sexist to men, all it means is some men are deemed "less than men" because they don't have massive biceps or enjoy clubbing things.)
Women are all prudish bitches who exploit men with sex - Men are sex hungry bastards
Women who have lots of sex are sluts - A man not wanting sex? What a concept! What is he, a fag?
Women are nothing but tear ducts mounted on boobs - Real men don't cry! Or feel any emotion other than rage.

Edit: Forget to make my actual point. Ahem, as I was saying. No, the tables have not turned. Now that the massive amounts of sexism against women has been removed (I'm talking treating women like dogs that do washing up sexism here) we are left with sexism against both genders that is constantly reinforced by society and mainstream media. And it sucks.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Rednog said:
oppp7 said:
sravankb said:
oppp7 said:
No, we aren't. Women still have to deal with shit that men don't have to, and you can't say the same about the opposite. I have no idea why everyone on the internet is so against feminism.
Because of feminazis. I know the movement, as a whole, demands equality, but them dumbshits are looking for supremacy.

Anyway, getting a job as an engineer (especially electrical engineering) is much easier as a woman. This is an unfortunate problem that we currently face.
Being the lazy, never-had-a-summer-job bastard that I am, I don't know much about affirmative action and all that, but is it really worse than having a worse biological setup (periods, pregnancy...), more prone to receiving violence (rape, spousal abuse...), and several other things I could mention, but am too lazy to elaborate on(lower income, larger share of housework, media problems, more strict social standards)?
Wait a second, back that train up.
Worse biological setup? What about testicular and prostate problems, they kill a fair amount of men each year. Also what about guys having that lovely extra problem of being prone to certain types of hernias due to the male set up?
More prone to violence? Last I checked in domestic cases women actually hit more often, it just happens that when guys hit they do more damage.
Lower income, a bit debatable, aren't women now the majority in a lot of high paying professions such as doctors, lawyers and whatnot?
Media problems? Please elaborate, because last I checked women in the media get away with a lot of crap that guys don't. An old guy calls some women nappy headed and a lynch mob goes after him. A bunch of women make fun of and demean a guy who gets his penis cut off by a spouse and its hilarious and "you go girl". If a guy did the same, he would be out of a job permanently in any media, but for women hey its cool because its empowering to them.
Breast cancer? And I doubt hernias are worse than pregnancy.
The second... I'd ask for sources but I didn't use any either (aside from Wikipedia). So I guess that's a draw?
Again, we're both talking out our asses.
I meant that women are always shown as highly sexualized in pretty much everything. You could say the same for men, but I don't think women are as ok about all their role models shown with huge boobs as men are with theirs with muscles (also, I've heard that overmuscled guys aren't that attractive to women, and that girls are attracted to asses anyways).
Special note on Don Imus: Agree that that was stupid. I think the thing was that he had said worse and "nappy headed hoes" was the straw that broke the camels back. Also, that may have been about racism as much as sexism.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
No and I'm pretty fucking sick of guys complaining about this. Really, this thread comes up enough that I'm not going to say any more than that on the matter.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
One example that springs to mind is the double standard that a woman can not sexually harass/assault a man.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Rednog said:
oppp7 said:
sravankb said:
oppp7 said:
Because of feminazis. I know the movement, as a whole, demands equality, but them dumbshits are looking for supremacy.

Anyway, getting a job as an engineer (especially electrical engineering) is much easier as a woman. This is an unfortunate problem that we currently face.
Being the lazy, never-had-a-summer-job bastard that I am, I don't know much about affirmative action and all that, but is it really worse than having a worse biological setup (periods, pregnancy...), more prone to receiving violence (rape, spousal abuse...), and several other things I could mention, but am too lazy to elaborate on(lower income, larger share of housework, media problems, more strict social standards)?
Wait a second, back that train up.
Worse biological setup? What about testicular and prostate problems, they kill a fair amount of men each year. Also what about guys having that lovely extra problem of being prone to certain types of hernias due to the male set up?
More prone to violence? Last I checked in domestic cases women actually hit more often, it just happens that when guys hit they do more damage.
Lower income, a bit debatable, aren't women now the majority in a lot of high paying professions such as doctors, lawyers and whatnot?
Media problems? Please elaborate, because last I checked women in the media get away with a lot of crap that guys don't. An old guy calls some women nappy headed and a lynch mob goes after him. A bunch of women make fun of and demean a guy who gets his penis cut off by a spouse and its hilarious and "you go girl". If a guy did the same, he would be out of a job permanently in any media, but for women hey its cool because its empowering to them.
very good points...buuuut

you dont have to deal with periods...and if you want a baby you dont have to put your body through some horrible disfigurment to have (ok Im exagerating...but still uuugggghhh)

not saying you dont have to deal with bad stuff...but you know...pregnancy..think about it (or dont, I know I try not too)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
sravankb said:
oppp7 said:
sravankb said:
oppp7 said:

The lower income thing is because men usually choose to perform jobs that pay more (they're usually more demanding in effort and time investment, more risky, women choose careers based on interest and passion rather than payout, etc).

While the other problems do exist, they're different problems. They need to be dealt with in the same way that the problem that I had mentioned earlier needs to be solved.

Having an equivalent number of issues on both sides doesn't mean that it's somehow balanced. They need to be fixed irrespective of who they're affecting.
I know, but the OP was asking if guys had it worse so I took your post as going with that.

Also, is that the real reason for the pay gap? I thought no one knew and were just guessing.
Rednog said:
oppp7 said:
I think its one of those cases where its good in theory but the practice has been bastardized to hell.
I mean you ask most people do you think men and women should be equal, and most people are going to be like of course, are you insane to suggest otherwise.
And yet a good chunk of the world cries this but still enacts "tradition". Ask a woman who should pay for dinner or a date, most are going to say the guy. Women expect gifts and other stuff from their boyfriends like flowers. I'm sorry but in this equal society where I'm making like 40k and you're making 40k why am I required to incur these extra costs? Oh because we're supposed to be gentlemen and fawn over you?
Granted not every female is like this, but it is things like this that are still widely prevalent in the western culture and ends up feeling a bit hypocritical to many men. It's like the whole argument of race back in the day. Separate but equal, oh yes it is separate and the illusion of equal is there but it isn't equal. In the case of feminism, sadly, many people practice not only equal, but better.
Just do what I do: don't date :D.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Not at all.

Norway is supposed to be one of the most equalized countries in the world and we still can't manage to give everyone the same go at a job, and when a woman do get the job she still won't get paid as much as a man in the same position with the same education.

Why not? Fucked if i know

bpm195

May 21, 2008
In pretty much all my academic experience, females were treated equally, though having to put up with far too many guys hitting on them especially in field were their numbers dwindle.

In all of my professional experience women get less respect than they deserve, and are more quickly disliked when any conflict occurs. Furthermore, I've noticed that even with affirmative action allegedly excluding men unfairly, women are just as uncommon as they are in academia.

Gorobrin

Mar 16, 2011
Really it's based on whoever you're dealing with. There are people who still treat woman like crap and then there are people who are trying to turn things around but take it a notch to far and treat woman better. Also i know a bunch of woman who still peg more responsibility on the guy than they would ever take on along with guys who expect their gf to do work as they lounge around.

zestamaster

Apr 3, 2009
were not saying you dont have it harder than us... were saying you have been reconigized as a minoriorty, giving you rights and benefits but the movements demands more... thats what were saying

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
I'd say we're more equal now than we've ever been, and getting increasingly more so all the time. Dudes bitching about women getting more rights and the feminist movement are just pissed that they have to share and that their lives aren't as easy as they used to be.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
I certainly dont think anyone can say its universally easier or harder to be a man or a woman, but there is certainly a lot of unacknowledged sexism directed at men these days.

oppp7 said:
sravankb said:
oppp7 said:

This is pretty much what im talking about, because men have nowhere to turn when they are sexually or physically abused by a partner it keeps the rates down and since the rates stay low they can justify not having options for them. someone here has already mentioned the reaction to an abused man having his penis cut off when he tried to obtain a divorce.
You can very much say the same about the opposite, in the western world men rarely have even a basic medical knowledge of their anatomy and usually have a better understanding of womens periods than any number of serious medical issues that can happen to them, men face more violence, more poverty, more abuse then women and systematically have less legal recourse in almost every category. men make up 98% of workplace fatalities are 7 times more likely to commit suicide and are the sole victims of paternity fraud, which is especially disgusting with the current "liability theory of sperm" being used that more than once has been used to force a man to pay his rapist to care for the child the act conceived.

Of-the-Lion

Feb 18, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
We're still paid less than men in almost every profession, and our careers are still based in our looks. Even if your potential boss is a woman, you are judged on looks more than credentials.
While society does place a larger importance on physical attractiveness on females, it is not a female exclusive issue. Want proof? Look at the last ten U.S. presidents and then look at the last ten presidents before Lincoln; the first president to be photographed. The former are 'generally' tall, have a sufficient amount of hair, and strong facial features. PA affects everyone, male and female.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
Also, sometimes you hear in the news about someone killing a bunch of people, but sparing the women.

/shrug

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
BRex21 said:
7 times more likely to commit suicide
Uh, not actually true. Women are more likely to attempt suicide, but men are more likely to succeed. Which is a bit odd, but the theory as to why is that women tend to go for options like medication overdose where as men seem to prefer stuff like hanging, the latter of which tends to be less easily survived.