Shadows of the Universe (Sci-fi Action RP)(Started)(Closed)

Kasten

Jul 22, 2011
"Is that why McSpineCramp here doesn't know the first rule of Readiness?" James swatted his arm against McMillian's chest and the flagpole recruit was tossed an inch off the ground before landing hard, sprawled on the ground confused at how he knocked down by such an easy blow "Although, Knob over there seems to like pocketing weapons." James had his cheeky smirk back.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
"Wasn't prepared" mumbled McMillan as he got up.

"yeah, you never are." Said Jarmen. He idly watched as Knobs stooped down by a container that had been blown open by one of Camilla's bursts.
"I've tried to stop that boy's petty thievery and really, at this point I'm just hoping he runs out of pocket space. Don't get me wrong, he's a good soldier, crack shot, calm in a firefight. He just steals anything that's not nailed down. See the bruise on his temple? Had to swat the boy for trying to nick one of my pocket watches."
Knobs stood up holding what appeared to be a combat vest festooned with dozens of pockets and pouches. Realizing what this meant in relation to what he'd said earlier Jarmen called out tiredly,
"Knobs, put it back."

Kasten

Jul 22, 2011
Well. I'll take McMillain and see if I can give him some CQC crash course, you mind? He could be half-decent after a little old fashion hard school." James smirked cleverly to the rookie.

James then took a look around "And I might be able to teach him how to operate the weapons controls, some CQC... Yeah, it might do the boy some good. Open him up a little."

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
"Fine, have fun. They boy knows all the stances and moves, he just doesn't have the experience to put him to any use."

As James and McMillan walked away he called out
"Try not to slip in the blood and guts!"

Kasten

Jul 22, 2011
James called over his shoulder "Send any others you can spare with me, Preferably one better than this poor man as motivation." as James seemed to casually walk over the squishy squick, and the rookie slipped and sled and had to take it slow, and then speed up and nearly fall so he'd have to take it slow again

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Rick stepped forward. "You know, I think I'll go with Knobs. He seems like a spirited character. Besides, I don't have anything on me that isn't nailed on in some way or other..."

He glanced at Knobs and gave him a smile that was either friendly, threatening, or psychotic. Rick wasn't really sure himself, he always felt a bit out of sorts after a fight.

"You know, I could really do with some food. I'm off to the nearest cantina, if I may... say, Kell. You want a recruit with us to make sure we don't sabotage the ship or cause trouble. That's all well and good, but what's to stop, say, me or Camilla from crushing their heads and running off?"

Knobs flinched.

"I mean, besides the fact that we were the ones using non-lethal tactics in the firefight."

Knobs didn't relax.

Kasten

Jul 22, 2011
"How about that ponytail girl? Competition breeds excellence, mind if I take her too?" James looked to Kell, he obviously didn't respect him as his own superior, but he didn't seem like he was going to take the people who were his direct subordinates from him without his approval.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Rick appeared at her shoulder, spoke words of encouragement. She hesitated a moment, then decided having one person to trust would probably be a good thing

"Likewise," she said, smiling slightly, "I didn't like that, and I don't like this either. The Captain is visibly shaking, and as for this Jarmen," she made a face; disgust and disquiet, "Is psychosis a requirement for promotion in the WINGS?"

Kasten

Jul 22, 2011
James and McMillan were in a unused cargo section, with a plate of food and glass of water, there was a small room on one side, sort of like a high-security closet. Taking the door remote, James put the food and water into the closet, and then walked out, closed the door, and made a show of putting the remote away, then did the same for he entrance to the bay, leaved them alone in an empty hexagon about 15 ft at it's longest

"Eventually, I'll start giving you something difficult, for now, you must hit me in order to eat. Each hit you get on me, deserves a bite of food. I, will be taking breaks and reprieves to eat and drink. For drinks of water, you will need to ground me. We will go until either both the food and water are finished, or you're incapable of continuing. Go." James smiled, as he put on a new helmet, and the new armor he'd gotten on the way over shimmered and disappeared, you couldn't even hear him walk, no shimmer, which meant he was going slowly. McMillan panicked and looked around, picking up a crowbar meant for opening crates, he ran at where he though Jason was with a wide swing, only to feel a fist in his stomach knock him back onto his ass with a backhand "Be ready for counterattack, Keep your stance!" James decloaked "By cloaking, I obviously overestimated you, your sister idolized you after bed, it's so sweet, what did you tell me on the way over? She cried for a week when she found out you were leaving her?" McMillan growled and finally spoke "FUCK YOU SIR!" and got into a stance, and kept it while aiming a vicious side-kick to James's smiling face.

This continued for hours, but the food and water, where never touched, they would be thrown into the Recycling unit after James was done eating and drinking infront of the bruised, tired Rookie "Get up, I didn't hurt you that bad." James started walking to Weapons Controls which was a room entered via the bridge. McMillan, panting and bruised "Report to Damien, and then to me in Weapons Control. That's enough CQC for today." McMillan seemed startled, telling him to go to the medic was the nicest thing James had done. He didn't argue as to ruin it "Yessir, Right away sir"

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
James looked up to see a tired rookie walk into the Hangar towards Damien. Jason looked around and noticed James was gone. "What the hell, where did Sergeant James go." Jason asked as he looked around trying to find him. "He told me to report to Damien and then meet him in the weapons control." The beaten soldier explained. "Damn, The rest of you stay here I'm going to go get Sergeant James." Jason said as he walked towards the Weapons control.

As Jason was walking down the corridor he noticed that the ship was strangely empty. "Wait this is one of the more important parts of the ship, where is everybody?" Jason thought to himself as he made his way further down the corridor. Jason then felt a sharp jolt go through his body, he knew exactly who it was as he turned around and saw Dr. Thompson. "Hello Jason, or should I call you Captain Kahlil now?" Dr. Thompson questioned not expecting an answer from Jason. "So, you're still afraid of me aren't you? Why would that be, what happened in the past is long done and you must live for the now. Not going to answer me are you? Well for now come with me, I need to talk to you about the situation that just took place." Dr. Thompson said as Jason stood in silence.

Dr. Thompson lead Jason to a small interrogation room, there was only a small table and two chairs in the room with a single light. "Take a seat Jason, take some time to collect your thoughts I have to go do something real quick." Dr. Thompson said as he walked out of the room. "Kell, this is Dr. Thompson. Make sure no member of the WINGS squad leaves the hangar. I'm going to have a nice chat with Captain Kahlil." Dr. Thompson said over the radio.

Kasten

Jul 22, 2011
James was cloaked and walking silently, because he didn't want to be waylayed on the way to his new workplace, but he'd noticed that nobody was in the halls. No crew, and these was the command section. There should at least be security, he made sure he had a knife with him, as he continued into the bridge, there was a ladder going up into an armored compartment with a door that he was to code, he coded the door in about five minutes and sent the data to Jason via the ship net, the empty bridge looked strange as it seemed that the door opened on it's own to let the paranoid soldier in, and James looked around, examining controls-weapon A.I. assistance? It'll be nice to not have to manually reload. The first thing he did was find the override. He then sat into an elevated chair in the middle of the room, surrounded by screens and started personalizing the controls, all of the screens showed readiness, targeting, a personal screen for notes.... He stayed there and started working

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
JARMEN KELL
"I think it may be a bit late for that, sir. Most of them are here but that Reynolds boy slipped away awhile ago after tiring out one of my recruits. Damn optic camo. I'll have ship security looking for him. Captain Kahil left awhile ago as well, though I guess he's with you."

Jarmen cupped his hands and shouted to the remaining WINGS members
"Alright folks, apparently I overstepped my boundaries a bit. Everyone here has to be cleared by security before they're allowed into the ship proper. Standard protocol for a ship this size, forgot all about it. They should be here soon to check you all. That includes you too recruits." He lied. He made a show of putting a small headset on and saying loudly into it
"Private Mitchell, this is your CO. You need to be properly cleared by ship sec. Hard lock the general's quarters and get back down to the hangar."

After private Mitchell's response Jarmen sat back down and continued perusing the squads personnel files. This "Pax" fellow was interesting. No Medical or Pre-WINGS service history in his file. Jarmen typed out a mail to an old friend in the records department. He might be able to dig something up on the boy, though looking at the high level classification he somehow doubted it.

PRIVATE KNOBS
Knobs stood a few feet from Rick and Camilla trying to look disinterested. He was sorely hoping the WINGS squad didn't decide to fight back. He was a good soldier. Bit ugly. Some hygene issues. Bit of thief, though he only took stuff that wouldn't be missed. Good soldier, nonetheless. But he'd seen the aftermath of the firefight and he didn't relish the thought of having to take any of them on. He wasn't too nervous about the big guy who'd called him over. He'd tried to psyche him out but Knobs had seen through it. He unslung his rifle and leaned against the pegasus nearby. Pulling out a file from one of his many pockets he began to carefully whittle away at the slide of his gun. If all we're doing in the hangar is waiting he thought might as well continue modifying this thing...

Both Camilla and Rick couldn't help but notice the smell coming off of Knobs. A bit like a mix of Diesel fumes and rotten eggs. They both seemed to realize this was why most of the recruits put some distance between themselves and him once they'd left the shuttle. Colon didn't seem to have minded it though. They also took note of the fact that Knobs clanked softly as he walked, his pockets and pack bulging.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Rick sauntered over to where Private Knobs was standing. "Modding your weapon? What are you putting in it?"

Knobs glanced at him, but didn't answer. Cheeky bugger. The smell got noticeably more powerful when Knobs had looked at him. Clearly, Rick would have to mention it to him later.

"Hmmmm... exactly how powerful is that thing? If we're going to stick together, I may as well know much of a punch you pack." Rick broadened his shoulders as much as the armor would allow. "Come on, give me your best shot. It's not like we have anything else to do, and I kinda doubt your rifle has a quarter of the penetration power needed."

Rick wondered slightly if this would piss the other people off. Bah, whatever. Rick would take the fall if Knobs did attack him.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Knobs paused and glanced over at where Jarmen was sitting.
"Sarge, this guy wants me to shoot him"
"What, he baiting you?" replied Jarmen.
"No, says he wants to test his armor against my rifle!"
Jarmen looked at Rick, who nodded.
"Fine, whatever. Just don't accidentally hit him in the head." Jarmen called out to the others "Knobs' going to fire off a few rounds at our friend here. Nothing to worry about."
The other troopers, who had been alerted when Knobs called out, relaxed and began to watch with interest.

Knobs put his file away and took a few steps back from Rick. He aimed and fired off a short burst of three rounds. All three hit Rick in the chest and although he winced slightly none of them penetrated. There was a pair of *Pings* as the third round ricocheted against Rick's armor, then against the hangar floor in front of Private Penlan, who had been patroling near the entrance to the hangar. She jumped back, lost her footing and landed heavily on the pile of unharmed crates that had been unloaded from the pegasus, knocking them over.
"You alright? Jinxie?" Private Hunter called out, still keeping her eyes on the WINGS squad.
"I'm... I'm fine" she called back.
At this point Private Mitchell re-entered the hangar and saw what had happened. He started to help her restack the crates as Webb jogged over to him.

Knobs turned back to Rick. "Didn't think any of them would penetrate. These Tsunami rifles don't have much piercing power." He paused for a moment, thinking. "And I wasn't putting anything into the rifle. I was smoothing out and shortening the bolt. Helps prevent jams."
He walked back over and continued leaning against the pegasus.
"Will I get armor like that after I join WINGS?"

Kasten

Jul 22, 2011
James had been leading a crowd of Security around the ship for about half an hour, before letting them all run into the hangar by opening the door via remote, letting them all run in and scream his name, while they fanned out and he walked in silently behind him, and while they backed into an embarrassed circle, James uncloaked in the middle, behind them all, smiling like a predator that just ate well and looking around 'innocently'

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
"Depends what you're good for," said Camilla, looming unintentionally as she approached Knobs, "We carry the heaviest armour because of what the procedure did to us; and you'll get a set too if your turn into a hulking powerhouse."

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Only if you get general - or not-so-general - strength augmentations. And then train to be a heavy soldier." Rick grinned mischievously. "Typically, this entails running around with positively back-breaking amounts of equipment. Emphasis on running. If you ace your combat training, you end up like Camilla over there and get half a dozen epic weapons to play with. They're anywhere from fifty to five hundred pounds each. You get her brand of heavy armor, too. I wouldn't fight her without something really explosive, myself."

Private Knobs looked somewhat impressed. "And if I don't ace my weapons training?"

"Then you get railroaded into the Endurance Extension Program to become a meat shield. It's called the 'Suicide Run' for a reason. It's torture paid with taxes. I'm not sure which was my favorite... the 'Lay Impaled on a Spike for Ten Days' initiation - to weed out those who can't stand it, you know - the psychological mind games that nearly made me throw myself off a building - I can't give details, but those eggheads are some really sneaky and mean bastards - or the "Drop You Off in Uninhabitable Asia, Good Luck Finding Your Way Back" breather. Yeah, that's a breather, all right..."

Knobs looked a bit knocked off guard.

"...and then you get this armor. I defy any one person without a nuke to kill me. Even then, it would be potentially survivable." Rick grinned. "But you should just pass your weapons training instead, OK? Ask Camilla if you want details, I flunked out within three weeks."

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
"Huh," said Knobs, craning his head slightly to look up at her. Big lady, he thought to himself. He looked and saw Drock pointing and whispering something to Hunter before snickering a bit. Hunter's expression didn't change. He could just imagine what that prick was saying: Welcome to the freakshow, come see the Monkey Man and the Giantess!
Camilla followed his gaze,
"What? Are they talking about us?"
"Doesn't matter," Knobs replied. "I'm good with mechanical things. Modifying guns, fixing up vehicles. Things like that."
That's the only reason I took sarge's watch anyway, he thought. Wanted to take it apart, see how it worked. Hadn't seen anything like it before.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Rick felt a twinge of self-consciousness. He brushed it off. If Drock got out of hand, Rick could knock him down easily, and only God, the Devil, and Camilla knew what she could do to him.

"Mechanical, you say? Interesting. I can fix simpler stuff, give me a broken engine and I won't know where to start."

There was a quiet dull roar.

"Sheesh, I'm hungry. I can't even imagine what Camilla feels right now. Probably the grip of death. Are we going to get fed before the protocol is done, or am I going to have to burst through hundreds of terrified soldiers on a horrific rush to the nearest kitchen like a demented cartoon?"

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Camilla shook her head slightly. Knobs was evidently uncomfortable with her abnormal size, and worried that people might judge him for being near her. She sized him up, and decided he was probably just young and insecure.

She pushed the thought from her mind, as she often did with her own post-mutation troubles, and considered Ricks words. Looking him up and down, she appraised him silently, then reached out and knocked a knuckle against his shoulder.

"This kit is built to deal with projectiles" she said, thinking aloud, "I wonder how it holds up in melee, against a similar foe..."