Shamus Plays: WoW #15: The Final Quest

asterismW

May 26, 2009
Way to go, Norman! I knew you had it in you.

It's too bad you can't destroy cities and towns and hapless NPCs in-game. That would have been fun to watch.

Antidrall

Mar 16, 2010
Ah, another excellent Shamus Plays completed. what's going to be up next on the chopping block?

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
stranamente said:
Even if I loved this series (and it's still the most inviting thing to WOW I know), I think you should work more on the ends. They're all on the bitter side.
Even this one. Norman goes to the "dark" side because he's kind of broken, not because of a choice.
Oh, please. Tell me how a non-bitter end would've made sense given the interpretation of pretty much any quest shown so far. And how can you take it all seriously after the bwahaha-the-cheesiness-is-choking-me-cliche "the power was all along within you"
mew4ever23 said:
A nice ending to the series. Now all we need is for blizzard to decide that this would make a fun instance, and implement it.

Norman Blightbringer

I wonder what would have happened if he'd met another sane player...
Well, whoever's playing WoW here, and there can't be a shortage of those people probably knows how to contact them and give them a nudge in the right direction, yes, no? :)

JoeCool385

May 10, 2010
Oh, boo hoo. Norman has to go to Brightwood Grove, the Rotting Orchard, and Roland's Doom? Those are all, like, what, five minutes walk from Darkshire?

*pulls pants up to his chest*

Lemme tell you, back in my day, before the Cataclysm, we didn't have all these nice quests that were all in one zone, or Gnomecorders to automatically advance the chain without having to head back to town. To find out about the legend of Stalvan Mistmantle, we had to go to Moonbrook in Westfall, Eastvale Logging Camp in Elwynn Forest, and to Stormwind City. That's right, we had to go to four different zones just to complete this one quest chain. Barefoot. In the snow. Uphill both ways. And we didn't complain about it.

Seriously, nice ending.

"The power to be evil has been inside of you all along. You can do it! You just have to believe in yourself." <--made me lol.

Da Ork

Nov 19, 2008
Awesome Shamus. Always enjoy your plays series but I think this one is the best.

DMonkey

Nov 29, 2009
JoeCool385 said:
Oh, boo hoo. Norman has to go to Brightwood Grove, the Rotting Orchard, and Roland's Doom? Those are all, like, what, five minutes walk from Darkshire?

Lemme tell you, back in my day, before the Cataclysm, we didn't have all these nice quests that were all in one zone, or Gnomecorders to automatically advance the chain without having to head back to town. To find out about the legend of Stalvan Mistmantle, we had to go to Moonbrook in Westfall, Eastvale Logging Camp in Elwynn Forest, and to Stormwind City. That's right, we had to go to four different zones just to complete this one quest chain. Barefoot. In the snow. Uphill both ways. And we didn't complain about it.

Seriously, nice ending.

"The power to be evil has been inside of you all along. You can do it! You just have to believe in yourself." <--made me lol.
I complained. I complained a lot. I was tossed out of two guilds for complaining about the quests. This series was a fantastic representation of how terrible wow quests are. I'm gonna miss Norman and Gobstab.

This was a great story. Bummer it has to end.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
A decent ending. I'm a bit sad it didn't go any farther, but I suppose you had an idea in mind for the length of the story and it progressed thusly. Well done!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Great writing, compelling story, interesting characters. You sir are a better writer than 99% of hollywood right now. Quick pitch the movie!

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
slightly evil said:
loved it
I genuinely felt for this character, which may be worrying but screw it
personally I wouldve liked the end to be a montage of Norman slaughtering the NPCs, and Gobstab, now 100 feet tall, wrecking cities
not accurate in terms of the game, but seeing as Norman is some kind of genius prodigy child and the only person alive capable of thought, maybe not such a leap.
But oh well, keep it up Shamus, great series
Wait... I have a Theory... In D&D, heroes are meant to be have skills and traits above average citizen or guard. So Norman, being a player character has an intelligence score higher than average citizen. The problem is that an MMO is played by many people, so how do you make the average person feel like they're above average? You make the world around them batshit-insane/ as smart as a tree stump! Norman isn't necessarily special, he's just your average Joe in a below average world!

Well idk, it seems to be a good explanation for the stupidity of many NPCs in MMO's to me.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
DMonkey said:
JoeCool385 said:

Seriously, nice ending.

I complained. I complained a lot. I was tossed out of two guilds for complaining about the quests. This series was a fantastic representation of how terrible wow quests are. I'm gonna miss Norman and Gobstab.

My cousin's guild was probably about to do the same to me when i started complaining about the waste of time that was lvling weapon skills. And yet, weapon skills are now gone with the coming of the cataclysm... huh... I wonder if Blizzard thought, like I did, that they were a pointless skill that though was meant to make the game more realistic only served to bore players in completely pointless ways?

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
Heh, blizzard needs to make a Norman Blightbringer instance. THat was a good series though, sad to see it end. Perhaps do a single-player game next?

DMonkey

Nov 29, 2009
timeadept said:
DMonkey said:
JoeCool385 said:

Seriously, nice ending.

My cousin's guild was probably about to do the same to me when i started complaining about the waste of time that was lvling weapon skills. And yet, weapon skills are now gone with the coming of the cataclysm... huh... I wonder if Blizzard thought, like I did, that they were a pointless skill that though was meant to make the game more realistic only served to bore players in completely pointless ways?
Oh geez. Weapon skill leveling. Yeah, that got some heavy sighs out of me as well. That sort of repetition really killed MMOs for me.

As for why they put it in, I think they thought it was funny. Blizzard obviously has a sick sense of humor.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Good lord, I hate WoW. I have nothing against people who PLAY it, just not my thing. That being said....this brought me more joy than just about anything else on this site that wasn't my original reason for being on this site. (read ZP)

Great work. I can't wait to see what's on deck next.

beniki

May 28, 2009
*sniff*

It's such a beautiful story. I can hear the cries of his victims now.

Burn on you crazy Norman. Burn on...