Share Your Shower Thoughts

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
ObsidianJones said:
I think what I'm trying to say is... I suck at talking to women. Always have, always will.
The only advice I can offer you is to carry cue cards, but that is obviously horrific advice.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
ObsidianJones said:
Strictly in terms of having a quality to entice a partner, looks is almost meaningless for a guy like me.

I'm supposedly attractive (I just look younger than most people I associate with) and it does nothing to attract women to you. It sparks interest but no one ever comes up and tries to talk to you. A good looking guy still have to go up, strike up the conversation, and not be a total geek to keep the interest going.

I talk regular in a video game community. I AM a total geek. My frame of reference of great conversations is the permeable nature of the Ethics of Silent Hill (if such a thing even exists) or why the best fighting game ever made is Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (At me, all you haters). My looks, if they actually are decent, at that point will matter for nothing. Unless I get super lucky and she's a gamer as well.

I think what I'm trying to say is... I suck at talking to women. Always have, always will.
Have you cultivated a blank thousand-yard stare over a lifetime of social ostracism? I have, and that seems to deter them for some reason.
So make your face move as if there's an interesting person inside it. Visualise yourself ready to smile and invite them in to your world.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
ObsidianJones said:
Generally, just ask them questions. Make it a mission or whatever. Who is this person? What are they like? Think of easy stuff first - what's their work like? Family? Then moved to medium difficulty - what do they like to watch? Hobbies? Music? Games? Hard difficulty - Where are you going (eg. 5 year plan)? What's dream job? "I didn't ask for this" difficulty - Politics! Religion!

The great part about this plan is that you aren't talking 90% of the time. (It's almost like Baffle's cue cards.) The easier stuff always feels stilted, almost like your going through the motion. Don't worry, keep going. You connect through sharing similar experiences. The movies/ music section is great for this.

Also, its not much different from how I talk to guys. Anyway - hope this helps. It's the best I can do.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
If pets were people, would we still like them?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Kwak said:
Would they still be pets as well as people? And would they have the same behaviours? My dog is an insatiable licker of the oven gloves, and I wouldn't be able to overlook that in a person.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The concept of pirates and Cowboys were only around for a few decades, but certainly captured a particular and lasting place in pop culture. Which other concepts were missed? Why were those picked above others? (Probably becuase they were romanticised)

Money Dick was seen as a bad book during its initial release. But capture a particular mind set 70 years later during WW1. What event could reinvigorate another crappy book?
Also see the Mona Lisa, which was completely ignored until someone stole it.

Kwak said:
You call that a slave, so generally, the answer is that we don't like them

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
trunkage said:
The concept of pirates and Cowboys were only around for a few decades, but certainly captured a particular and lasting place in pop culture. Which other concepts were missed? Why were those picked above others? (Probably becuase they were romanticised)
Symbols of freedom and their time period is romanticized as a time when you can get away with almost anything.

Sep 24, 2008
Resurrection.

Why do women gesticulate so much when they speak?

Seriously. Why? I've literally held down my cousin's hands one time and she couldn't form a thought to save her soul. This woman went to Yale.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
ObsidianJones said:
Resurrection.

Seriously. Why? I've literally held down my cousin's hands one time and she couldn't form a thought to save her soul. This woman went to Yale.
Holistic embodiment.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Why, when it comes to female empowerment in media, is it usually only the typically attractive ones (or "fit" to use the common parlance of assholes) being empowered? Doesn't seem that feminist or aimed towards encouraging girls and women equally across the board at all when you only get your empowerment if you reach the acceptable level of mainstream hollywood attractiveness. Just seems like yet another slew of decisions made by guys with the faint veneer of progressiveness to justify exciting their genitalia again.

Sep 24, 2008
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Why, when it comes to female empowerment in media, is it usually only the typically attractive ones (or "fit" to use the common parlance of assholes) being empowered? Doesn't seem that feminist or aimed towards encouraging girls and women equally across the board at all when you only get your empowerment if you reach the acceptable level of mainstream hollywood attractiveness. Just seems like yet another slew of decisions made by guys with the faint veneer of progressiveness to justify exciting their genitalia again.
Because we have quickly passed the actual image of a strong woman and started putting up lampoons of what one actually is. A strong female lead is, coincidentally, the same depiction of a strong male; one who is confident in their abilities to the point that they don't always hearken back to how amazing they are or has to call out they do this to prove themselves.

Ellen Ripley is a great example, and my first actual crush on an adult woman. Sure, I had crushes on cartoon characters and girls my own age, But she was bad ass and amazing. That was soon followed up by Vasquez, and might I add ALL HAIL VASQUEZ [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49OZ0M_0fhg]!!!

... Sorry, where was I? I literally am tingly.

This is something that Blaxploitation did. After literal centuries of being under the heel of another culture, blacks in the 70's and early 80's went out in droves to see figures who were not only larger than life, but larger than life in spite of the very thing that held them back before. And furthermore, they claimed it as a source of power.

Soon it will die down. And we'll see that we had it right actually back in the 80's. Ripley, Red Sonja, Cynthia Rothrock, Sarah from Labyrinth, Chris from Adventures in Babysitting...

You know, this might have started off humorously, but seeing that list it now makes more sense to me I'm into the type of women I'm into.

Apr 17, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Resurrection.

Is that just a woman thing? I gesticulate all the time, doing some weird combo of mime and charades to try and act out the things I'm speaking

Sep 24, 2008
Palindromemordnilap said:
ObsidianJones said:
Resurrection.

Is that just a woman thing? I gesticulate all the time, doing some weird combo of mime and charades to try and act out the things I'm speaking
Holy Shirt, you do? Like, with normal speech or just when you're trying to create a scene (as I think you were saying)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Well, there's that.

You've also got people who think female empowerment is a good thing, but have no idea what it is. People all for it, but haven't thought it through and don't realise that they've got unconscious biases and ways of thinking themselves.

By comparison, the common trope of a Powerful Woman, who is super special and powerful because she's not like other women. Which is combining the idea that women can be powerful (look, our angry lead character is one) with the idea that women aren't (every other women in the world, the normal ones, are not, and the lead probably hates them). The latter idea probably isn't conscious, it just snuck in when they weren't thinking.

More cynically, female empowerment has become big business. You get arguments over this, whether a girl band that's all sexy and angrily dressed (or the other way round) and sings about girl power and is run by a cabal of shady old white guys is an attempt to weaken girl power or just make money out of pretending to care about it.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
It struck me recently that I fucking hated Inuyasha and Sailor Moon at the time they were on, so why do I get occasional random desires to rewatch them? Do I pine for my youth that badly, or do I secretly actually enjoy absolute wank? Or are they just better than I want to admit?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
EvilRoy said:
It struck me recently that I fucking hated Inuyasha and Sailor Moon at the time they were on, so why do I get occasional random desires to rewatch them? Do I pine for my youth that badly, or do I secretly actually enjoy absolute wank? Or are they just better than I want to admit?
I thought Inuyasha was pretty decent. Not an absolute masterpiece, but a solid lighthearted action romp with some dramatic moments. Really long, but I don't ever remember wishing they'd hurry up and move the plot along. I quite liked it, and I only watched it around 5 years ago so it's not nostalgia. I don't know what sort of mess the dub is though, could be pretty terrible from that time period.

Apr 17, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
ObsidianJones said:
Resurrection.

Holy Shirt, you do? Like, with normal speech or just when you're trying to create a scene (as I think you were saying)
Just with normal speech, don't have to be miming something complicated I'm otherwise having trouble explaining. Like, I'll be talking about going through a door and my hand will make a flappy motion like its an opening door. That's one of the more common ones, the actual motions tend to vary depending on what I'm saying

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Anyone else notice themselves not noticing very obvious reasons for names? Like a place near where I live that has 'park' in its name and it wasn't until today that I thought that it was named that for the giant freaking park that's in it. Or even when a character's name is a pun, like Marie and Callie from Splatoon being a pun of calamari.

I'm not dumb, it's just that a lot of times I'm just not even really thinking about it.

Sep 24, 2008
Borderlands 3 is selling like hotcakes. People are still defending Trump. I'm legitimately worrying if just mentioning these two things will bring down ire from people who don't want any deep thoughts or negative feelings of late.

Honestly, it's seeming more and more that having principles and morals is just a way to kick your own self in the ass. Why even bother?

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
ObsidianJones said:
Resurrection.

Just with normal speech, don't have to be miming something complicated I'm otherwise having trouble explaining. Like, I'll be talking about going through a door and my hand will make a flappy motion like its an opening door. That's one of the more common ones, the actual motions tend to vary depending on what I'm saying
My Dad also has the habit of "talking with his hands". It usually isn't too noticable unless you are looking for it, but it drives his friends a bit crazy at meals or in the kitchen when he does so without realizing he is holding a knife.

I actually had the opposite problem while on a canoe trip with some friends back in Scouts. Whenever I started talking, I stopped rowing, which was quite noticable in my group since I was the strongest.