Shatner Does Palin

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Valiance said:
This is awesome.

Nothing else to say.

It makes me wonder if Shatner reading all the lines in Resident Evil would be better.
Except they're already fairly Shatner-esque in their delivery, so I'm not sure all that much would change. Now, Shatner doing something like...I don't know, what's a really overwrought JRPG? You know, something with a lot of god references, or something. That'd be perfect.
Final Fantasy X springs to mind, with all their zealous crap with gods and evil technology and what-not.

OT: That was awesome. Made my day... even though it's almost midnight.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
vultureX21 said:
Therumancer said:
However, I anticipate we're liable to see at least 8 years overall of left wing control. Maybe 12. But like any "untouchable dynasty" it ALWAYS goes the other way. I'm just saying that most of us are going to be around in 4-12 years and people might want to think ahead to the inevitable snap back. I'd like to see a bit more maturity.

... and for the record, no... I do not think this would have been mocked this way if it was a left wing speech.
I agree with the first part, there is always a counter push after one side holds power long enough to make a mistake.

As for the unlikelihood of a left-winger being skewered for saying something so garbled and foolish you have to admire Jon Stewart's continued efforts to mock all of politics (those who have seen the "That's Great... Now Fix the Economy" skits know what I mean) and I'd prefer to see more of it myself. In reality no, there's not a lot of comedic stuff out there hitting the left but such is the fluctuation of opinion at the moment.
I thought rightwingers had the comedy stylings of Glen Beck.

But all seriousness aside, this speech deserved mockery if only because Palin doesn't know what a lame-duck session is (hint: it's not when you have over a year left) and thinks the 2nd Amendment is "The right to bear arms and shoot at animals from an airplane".

Also I think that left-wingers/dems are going to get skewered pretty good over the New Jersey corruption scandal in both comedic form and otherwise, much like how Eliot Spitzer had his ass handed back to him by everyone for the prostitute thing.

Also I too agree with the first part were it not for the fact that turnabout is always fair play so deal with it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I just... I can't wrap my head around this. First Rocket Man [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3MGN899yE], then Common People [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXWEM4gZhg4], and now this. I don't think I can make fun of William Shatner anymore.

Well, maybe a little. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I am a Republican.

I wish Sarah Palin would get on a plane with Huckabee and Romney, get on a rocketship together, and blast into space-- never to be heard from again.

I also wish they would take Reid and Pelosi with them.

Of course, could you imagine what would happen if they managed to found a new colony somewhere?

Eternal war would be the only thing that could happen...

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
dodo1331 said:
I feel bad for Palin. The media has been, for the most part, very unforgiving with her mistakes. With Obama, its almost always praises.
Media isn't a very complicated beast.

News with Hillary Clinton sold, the media learned this lesson well...so when Palin came onto the scene, the media nearly had a collective heart attack, especially when her term started to tumble down...which is probably when she ran for VP.

Regardless, I wanna see Leonard Nimoy impersonate Parnell.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Shattner's delivery actually makes sense! No wonder Palin sounded all mumbled up, she doesn't have the right address to poetry! Ohhhhh!

Seriously, though, does she write her speeches with those rearrangable phrase refridgerator magnets? The hell was she even talking about?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I cant believe she hides behind American troops.

"In honour of our American soldier, how about you (the media) quit making things up"

The Gaul of that woman. She may as well have said "Every time you say something mean about Sarah Palin, a soldier dies". how is pointing out something she said or did disgracing the military? Shes like a comic book character.

The speech was terrible. She rambled and contradicted her self. She should have handed over to Shatner when she quit. Did no one read the speech before she delivered it?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Therumancer said:
My holier than thou attitude simply comes down to stuff like this: With it's general human rights violations on it's own people, information control, etc.. China is not capable of handing torture. What it does is an atrocity. On the other hand in time of war when dealing with terrorists and sympathizers our actions which are directed at the enemy are something else entirely. There is a definate differance between attaching electrodes to the nads of a guy from an Al-Queda training camp to find out where the bomb/cell/hostages/etc.. are and sticking bamboo shoots under the finger nails of a pro-democracy demonstrator to teach him a lesson (or whatever the heck they decide to do this week).
Id be right with you if there was any evidence that torture actually works; and episodes of 24 don't count. Living in a country that used torture for thousands of years it doesn't work as people say anything to make it stop, even making things up. Often making things up. It doesn't tend to get accurate, actionable intelligence.

Thats why much of the world has stopped doing it. Thats not a quick decision, we Europeans used to love our torture. It just doesn't work. Unless you need a quick conviction and you don't really care if the guys guilty or not. The inquisition actually invented Spanish water torture. The CIA made it cool again when they re branded it waterboarding. I guess it wouldn't sound very American if it still had torture in the name.

Torture gets information you want to hear, not information thats accurate. Look at the Brits treatment of the IRA. All torture got us was false convictions, meaning actual bombers kept walking the streets. Theres not that much difference between the IRA in the 80s and Al Qaeda now, except one of them had American funding. Care to guess which one?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I've never heard of this Shatner person before but that was really good. If they ever do a sequel to that Star Trek film I think he would make a good Spock. Better than the one they have playing the part now anyways.

The Rogue Wolf said:
I just... I can't wrap my head around this. First Rocket Man [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3MGN899yE], then Common People [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXWEM4gZhg4], and now this. I don't think I can make fun of William Shatner anymore.

Well, maybe a little. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM]
That version of common people completely ruins the original with loud guitars and epic fail singing. Shatner respect -1.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
bjj hero said:
Therumancer said:
My holier than thou attitude simply comes down to stuff like this: With it's general human rights violations on it's own people, information control, etc.. China is not capable of handing torture. What it does is an atrocity. On the other hand in time of war when dealing with terrorists and sympathizers our actions which are directed at the enemy are something else entirely. There is a definate differance between attaching electrodes to the nads of a guy from an Al-Queda training camp to find out where the bomb/cell/hostages/etc.. are and sticking bamboo shoots under the finger nails of a pro-democracy demonstrator to teach him a lesson (or whatever the heck they decide to do this week).
Id be right with you if there was any evidence that torture actually works; and episodes of 24 don't count. Living in a country that used torture for thousands of years it doesn't work as people say anything to make it stop, even making things up. Often making things up. It doesn't tend to get accurate, actionable intelligence.

Thats why much of the world has stopped doing it. Thats not a quick decision, we Europeans used to love our torture. It just doesn't work. Unless you need a quick conviction and you don't really care if the guys guilty or not. The inquisition actually invented Spanish water torture. The CIA made it cool again when they re branded it waterboarding. I guess it wouldn't sound very American if it still had torture in the name.

Torture gets information you want to hear, not information thats accurate. Look at the Brits treatment of the IRA. All torture got us was false convictions, meaning actual bombers kept walking the streets. Theres not that much difference between the IRA in the 80s and Al Qaeda now, except one of them had American funding. Care to guess which one?
Pretty much how I feel about the subject of torture.

On Topic- This has made my week so much better.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Therumancer said:
Malygris said:
Dude, any credibility you may have had in this conversation, or probably any other in the future, just went sailing out the window.
Normally I wouldn't care about your fly by, but you are red.
So are the states that support your inhumane treatment of prisoners.

Did Palin ever state her position on torture? (attempting to stay somewhat on-topic)

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
This takes some of the edge off of my anger over Palin being nominated VP at all. Seriously, as a woman I was deeply offended that the McCain party marched out the biggest airhead they could find just because she was a female to try and garner the votes of the Clinton supporters after the nomination to run went to Obama.

...Okay, okay. I'm sure they had some other, maybe decent reasons for doing it. But after watching Palin's first few speeches and what have you, it was hard to think little else. I wouldn't have minded them nominating a woman, I just wish it had been someone who could at least appear qualified (and recognize the irony of their own accusing of Obama as unfit/unprepared for office).

While I don't align myself with either political party (shameless fence sitter), I do get great joy in seeing the woman torn apart. Much more than I probably should. I really think it's how much she pretended to be God's gift to women's rights when she was/is one of the worst things ever for the movement that got to me the most.

Shatner is my hero for the week.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Therumancer said:
Malygris said:
Dude, any credibility you may have had in this conversation, or probably any other in the future, just went sailing out the window.
Normally I wouldn't care about your fly by, but you are red.
So are the states that support your inhumane treatment of prisoners.

Did Palin ever state her position on torture? (attempting to stay somewhat on-topic)
I'm searching vaguely, bearing in mind I only just got out of bed. The only thing I could find was:

Palin's Acceptance Speech said:
Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America ... [Obama]'s worried that someone won't read them their rights?
Grabbed the quote here [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26535811/page/5/]

How much you take from that is your choice, I suppose.