Shepard Can Lose in Mass Effect 3

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
This is already receiving too much hype. Most likely you won't be able to get the bad ending unless you actually intend to do so. Just look at ME2; the only way Shepard could die was 1. Disregard all ship upgrades
2. Not recruiting enough squad mates
3. Ignoring everyone's loyalty missions
4. Fuck up the squad placement in the final mission
= You have to kill all your squadmates for Shepard to die.
or
Not having any genre savvy and seducing the Asari killer-sexbot.

Most choices in ME games have never mattered apart from the occasional "YOU ARE OUR SAVIOR" or "YOU HUMAN DICKHEAD!" you get from various NPCs anyways.

Valenza

Nov 6, 2010
PingoBlack said:
Wait ... exactly the same feature as ME2 had? Only now they expect me to believe that holograms can stab? I'm sorry. I liked Mass Effect when it was still slightly Science Fiction.
Slighty Science Fiction...? How is Mass Effect 'slightly' Science Fiction?

Are you seriously saying that this sort of thing is the most 'out there' thing in the Mass Effect universe?

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Valenza said:
Slighty Science Fiction...? How is Mass Effect 'slightly' Science Fiction?

Are you seriously saying that this sort of thing is the most 'out there' thing in the Mass Effect universe?
It was out there all along, but consistent. Most good SciFi is consistent tho.

But when a holo-UI became a "visceral stabbing weapon" ... I'm outta there. BTW, did you hear about HuttaBall?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
That will certainly build tension as you make choices in Mass Effect 3 because you'd be afraid of getting it wrong. I just hope that small, minor decisions I made in the first game don't come back in a major way. Also I didn't do many side missions and I sure hope that doesn't come back in a bad way.
Whatever the case, it'll be a pretty intense experience. Though I imagine I might be among the people who end up just waiting a few months before playing it so that they can read up on GameFAQs about what are the 'right' choices.

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
My Shepard has bigger things to worry about than saving the galaxy! Like what Ashley will do to him when she finds out what he's been doing with Miranda!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
You mean kinda like how you could "die" in ME2? Which requires a greater amount of effort to screw up on purpose than the effort needed to get the "everyone lives" ending. Seriously, knowing Bioware there will be one ending where shit hits the fan, but it'll require deliberate failing or spectacular incompetence on the part of the player. Anyone with a functioning brain and basic motor skills will get at least the "shitty" good ending...

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
1000? says you automatically receive the best/happiest/golden/true ending by always picking the Paragon option.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I dont wanna fail.
But im glad theyre putting in the possibility of it.
Not every story can end happily! And it can make the story better fi it doesnt.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Shepard can lose? that makes it sound like its actually damn hard to do so (as others have said much like the shepard dies ending of 2) so I guess the reapers were not much of a threat after all if all I have to do to win is not play the game like a complete tool.
As for origin well I kind of expect this thing from EA by now.

Comieman

Jul 25, 2010
ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh
I really liked how in MA2 Sheppard could die, and if there will be a way to win by "losing" in MA3...that is going to make me happy.
Yeah, I love games where main character dies / loses, instead of "One man vs the universe" (glares at Master Chief)

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Off topic: If EA makes this game Origin exclusive, then I really don't fancy its chances.

On topic: It doesn't fucking matter. It's incredibly obvious that the results of the final battle will be bad if someone intentionally fucks everything up. Like Mass Effect 2, it's going to be mind numbingly easy to avoid this, because Bioware - as much as I love them - seems to, most recenty, at least, fucking suck at this sort of thing.

Remember, for a moment, Heavy Rain. In order to save your son, you had to go through five challenges; things like cutting off your own finger, or murdering a stranger you knew nothing about, for no other reason than to save your son. You had to do at least three of these challenges to even have a hope of saving your son, and all five to make it a sure thing. Even then, you still weren't guarunteed a happy ending, depending on what the other characters had achieved, as well.

Each of the challenges you had to complete was challenging in it's own right, and it came down to some seriously hard decisions about what you were willing to do to get a happy ending. This is the sort of thing that Bioware should be striving for.

Instead, what we're going to see are more diametrically opposed choices that really won't matter because the results will be the same. Not a single decision that we made in the last two games will have any *real* effect - ie more than a cameo - on the outcome.

Getting off topic again, but they even fucked up their attempt to make their black and white morality system not so black and white. The Paragon was supposed to be an idealist; someone who would not sacrifice their principles, while the Renegade was supposed to be someone to whom the ends justified the means. Instead, we get a naive, head in the clouds, light side of the force, way of the open palm nice guy, and a jerk who punches reporters in the head. Really off topic now, but that SHOULD NOT HAVE FUCKING GIVEN RENEGADE POINTS.

The EC crew made an interesting observation a while ago. During - spoiler alert - Legion's loyalty mission, you are given the choice of brainwashing or destroying the Geth. Instead of considering the ramifications of brainwashing an entire species to die for you, as opposed to removing the threat entirely - Bioware opted for the simplistic approach. Good guy saves them, bad guy kills them. The EC guys pointed out that both decisions might have resulted in Renegade points, but Bioware didn't consider that. Even more irritating, they didn't consider that by their own definitions, the point results should have been swapped. The ruthless Renegade would have brainwashed his enemies to fight for him, while the Paragon would have either killed them (a difficult decision that should possibly have given Renegade points anyway) or - being idealistic - left and decided to wait to face them in open combat.

But the real problem is that none of what I just ranted about will FUCKING MATTER, because Bioware seems to have mastered the art of giving us the illusion of choice. This won't - mark my words - boil down to anything more than a cameo, because choices aren't what matter in Mass Effect - it's the illusion of choice that counts.

And that, my good fellows, ties back into the very first point that I made. There's no *real* risk of losing, because, mark my words, it's going to be the threat that's important - the illusion of real danger is but one aspect of that. Besides, Bioware hates making players face consequences for their actions - we all know that.

Argh, damn you TOR, for stealing all of Bioware's *actual* talent.

/edit
Wow, that came out rantier than I meant it to be.
TL;DR: We can lose? Well, congratulations, Bioware, for adding to the facade of choice in this game. You know full fucking well that there's no *actual* risk of someone unintentionally losing, and so do we, so why even pretend? In fact, why the FUCK DO YOU - crap, I'm doing it again. I love Bioware, and I adored ME1, and liked ME2, so I get the treensiest bit annoyed whenever I think of how much better this series could be, or of the bleedingly obvious things that it's doing wrong. For as much as I loved it, ME2 was railroaded. Even ME1 was, to an extent.

Oh, and a note on the point based morality systems; the most powerful choice in the entire series was between Ashley and Kaidan, and that didn't use the morality system at all.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Generic Gamer said:
OutrageousEmu said:
I'm failing to see how this is news. I've played a lot of games where you can lose. Its called losing. You die and get a game over screen. Most games I play these days have that happen. You then start again from your last save and don't fuck it up.
That isn't what this is, this is when you scrape your way through the game, only to reach an end cutscene that lets you know that your efforts were so puny that the reapers won anyway.

Personally I think that's a brilliant idea, I like the idea that after three games I could fuck the whole thing up and just lose.
This, but with one gripe. You had to actively try to get the bad ending in ME2. If they make it that hard to get in ME3 then I'll be disappointed.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Its cool that they're putting this into the game. I am happy with this Bioware. Too bad I won't actually play the game. Origin is just... too much.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Ehm this is going to sound strange-
WOOHOOO I can lose not just die (boring) but really do something reaaaally bad and doom humanity, yey my evil Shepard is so gonna love this...

Now let's talk upgrades ME 1 was a bit to many small boring ones, but ME 2 really needed more guns and upgrades that you can see (not the +10% damage junk), and please, please let me bring all my (living :D) squadmates in to a glorious final battle, just think about it bullets and biotic flying, please...

OnT I'm actually a bit suprised since you have not been able to fail (more than that little death in ME2) it is a nice bit of change, hopefully it won't be a "lose-earth-save-humanity-anyway" thing. For some reason I really want to be able to fail utterly... maybe to get me "fighting" a bit harder..