Shia LaBeouf Throws in The Towel, Retires From "Public Life"

gdv358

Nov 11, 2009
I fail to believe that he actually did retire when he went on to start posting #stopcreating on twitter only about 13 hours after his "retirement" with a picture of the same thing in skywriting.

I get that a lot of people don't think anything having to do with him is a big deal, but watching him steal material from lesser known artists and then claim that it was his divine right as an "artist" to do that is a dangerous precedent. We already have some pretty muddy copyright waters to deal with in the first place. The last thing you need is to have a guy like this storm through the debate and become the voice of people who think all copyright should be destroyed when it's a fact that the minute that happens you're going to see rich dicks like him steal from the nobodies and get away with it (more than they already do).

On top of that, for people who don't create original content, it still impacts you. When companies push to enforce their copyright laws in draconian fashions (illegally at that) against someone like an LP Channel, they're going to have guys like this to point to and go "well if we don't do it then assholes like that are going to just steal from everyone." And in a grand stroke of irony, as they do that, they would be stealing revenue and profit from the little guys who really did create legitimately legal derivative works.

Copyright isn't a black and white issue, there's a lot of fine details that have to be paid attention to to allow people to make derivative works without out-right stealing. But if you let people like him polarize the issue, the one true thing that will happen is that little guys will get crushed as the big assholes fight it out over ownership.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ah, quit the hyperbolic editorial drama, Steven. The newest Indiana Jones film was not that bad. -___-

Anyways, I liked him in Holes, and then proceeded to remain neutral for the rest of his career. I'm unaffected by this news.

I will say that I could have gone on with life without seeing his penis, though. ;____;

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
It's sad. It's sad that he's so afraid of failing that he takes from others, but that doesn't mean it makes it alright. I think he should take a break from everything, maybe figure out who the hell he actually is instead of who the hell everybody is telling him he is, child stars have problems with that; they don't have a chance to create their own identity, one is always constructed for them.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Not sure he's actually retiring from movies or just from social media. Either way, I feel like river-dancing right now.

Life would be much simpler if the media and the nitwits that are actually fascinated by celebritards like Shia would stop paying attention to them and start making permanent reservations for them at the Padded Walls Hotel. Feel free to roam the halls as you drool on your bathrobe while being offered the best medications and electroshock therapy taxpayer money has to offer.

Might wanna offer a father/daughter suite for Mylie Cyrus and her fuckwit pappy Billie Ray. Cause if I gotta see that two-cent slut stick her tongue out one more time, I'm gonna nail it AND her daddies pecker to a moving subway train. -_-

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"the recent attacks against my artistic integrity,"
That implies he had some to attack. Did I miss it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have this made hate-on for Shia like 80% of the movie-going public does, but he seems like an integrity-free shill to me.

TheSapphireKnight said:
So where exactly is the line between disproportionate hate and you brought this on yourself? I try to stay on the compassionate side of things as far as public figures (major or minor) are concerned, but in some cases like this or with Phil Fish I just have a hard time maintaining sympathy.
I'm sorry, but what specifically did Shia do that would turn to "proportionate hate?" I mean, the people raging about this plagiarism seem to be the ones who already hated him for "being in that franchise I like" and therefore being the antichrist.

Yeah, Phil Fish was basically an internet tough guy who acted like a dick and couldn't take the same in return, but what was LaBeef's equivalent sin?

Nov 28, 2007
You know, I was going to come into this topic feeling bad for Shia Labeouf. I mean, it can't be easy to constantly be told that you kill franchises. Just ask Jake Lloyd.

After finding out why he's upset, though...yeah, no sympathy for that. You steal from someone, then steal from others with your apology, you deserve all the scorn you get.

Edit: And I will say that I think that Shia Labeouf gets a lot more hate than he deserves for his acting. I've actually liked him in most of his movies. He has his character type, but he's willing to go outside it, and can actually carry a movie decently (as mediocre as "Disturbia" was, it would have been a lot worse without him in the main role, since he actually gave the role some depth). But nope, he was in Transformers, that automatically overrides everything...except for Indiana Jones, where he has far from the only issue, or even the worst one.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Ah, quit the hyperbolic editorial drama, Steven. The newest Indiana Jones film was not that bad. -___-
I don't get the hate for The Last Crusade either, but that was a long time ago and I think before Shia's career. I don't know what it has to do with this conversation. >.>

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
TheSapphireKnight said:
So where exactly is the line between disproportionate hate and you brought this on yourself? I try to stay on the compassionate side of things as far as public figures (major or minor) are concerned, but in some cases like this or with Phil Fish I just have a hard time maintaining sympathy.
I'm sorry, but what specifically did Shia do that would turn to "proportionate hate?" I mean, the people raging about this plagiarism seem to be the ones who already hated him for "being in that franchise I like" and therefore being the antichrist.

Yeah, Phil Fish was basically an internet tough guy who acted like a dick and couldn't take the same in return, but what was LaBeef's equivalent sin?
I guess my lack of sympathy has less to do with anything he has done and more to do with me not having much interest in the first place. I don't think he deserves as much hate as he gets. With my question I was just curious where the line is for other escapists. I certainly don't think "making a piece of entertainment I didn't like" is a valid reason for spewing bile. Blatant Racism?(Not in this case) I would understand some backlash.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lacktheknack said:
I don't get the hate for The Last Crusade either, but that was a long time ago and I think before Shia's career. I don't know what it has to do with this conversation. >.>
oh u.

People's utter hatred for Crystal Skull feels like a baffling worldwide prank against me, because I liked it a bit.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Tanis said:
First Bay has a meltdown, then Labeouf.

Next Beiver, I'm calling it!

What did I do?

OT: Probably for the best. Once you're apologizing for plagiarizing your previous apology, you're pretty much done.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Esh that article. Maybe this is just a culture gap thing but the way you turn a perfectly legit news article into what is essentially a hate piece on this Shia guy halfway through is really quite jarring to say the least. Like this is almost as... I can't say "sensationalist" because most people would agree with your points, "heavily opinionated" as The Fucking Sun. Sure this new stuff Shia did is kind of douchey but this article starts dragging up his old stuff that has no relation to this news for no reason.

After a lifetime of BBC News, I still can't get over a news piece ripping the piss/heaping love over someone.

Yes, I liked the latest Indy film. If it failed I wouldn't say it's Shia's fault, he's just got one of those faces you could punch all day. Remember it was Micheal Bay that ruined Transformers with his "WOO EXPLOSIONS! 'MERICA!" direction? Not the poster boy main character.

I'm still not sure what to make of people ragequitting an ENTIRE industry. Did people take inspiration from Phil Fish all of a sudden?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I think the only movie of his I ever saw was the original transformers, he didn't seem that bad in it given ya know the materials. Though honestly I didn't even know his name till just now.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Never understood why anyone cares at any point about this guy, either pro or con. And I also liked Crystal Skull, although his presence/absence was not terribly important to the movie.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
"the recent attacks against my artistic integrity,"
That implies he had some to attack. Did I miss it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have this made hate-on for Shia like 80% of the movie-going public does, but he seems like an integrity-free shill to me.

TheSapphireKnight said:

He is a bit of an asshole. He bragged about sleeping with Megan Fox right when she got married, and once said in an interview that he was open to cheating on his girlfriend. His co-stars typically hate him because of his attitude on set. Harrison Ford once called him a "fucking idiot." He's also plagiarized content more than once.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care one way or the other about him, but I won't be sorry to see him go.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Meh, I personally don't think he's either a great or terrible actor, I'm pretty neutral about him in general. (Though I did like him in the film adaptation of Holes, so make of that what you will.)

That being said, maybe it's better if he quits while he's ahead...

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
camazotz said:
Never understood why anyone cares at any point about this guy
For some reason Hollywood just had completely no subtlety in trying to force his stardom. He has been handed the world on a silver platter by others ... only to seemingly make it his goal to prove to everyone he never deserved it. This is not a combination which is going to endear him to many people.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
This article shows too much hate against Labeouf. He did really well in Disturbia and Holes, both movies that I can appreciate time and time again. Transformers wasn't killed too much by him as it was by Michael Bay himself; although the parts of him screaming out "bumblebee!" obnoxiously was a bit repetitive throughout the series.

Indiana Jones was ruined by Spielberg/Lucas, both of which became idiots and tried doing "digital remaster" of their old works. The movie would have done a bit better if it didn't overplay really stupid alien plot and cheesy Area 51 shots in the early part of the film.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheSapphireKnight said:
I guess my lack of sympathy has less to do with anything he has done and more to do with me not having much interest in the first place. I don't think he deserves as much hate as he gets. With my question I was just curious where the line is for other escapists. I certainly don't think "making a piece of entertainment I didn't like" is a valid reason for spewing bile. Blatant Racism?(Not in this case) I would understand some backlash.
ahh. I understand. I thought you were applying it specifically to his acts. My bad.

Though this brings up the context of the next bit.

Fox12 said:
He is a bit of an asshole. He bragged about sleeping with Megan Fox right when she got married, and once said in an interview that he was open to cheating on his girlfriend. His co-stars typically hate him because of his attitude on set. Harrison Ford once called him a "fucking idiot." He's also plagiarized content more than once.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care one way or the other about him, but I won't be sorry to see him go.
I won't particularly be sorry to see him go, but those seem like pretty minor deals in terms of Hollywood actors and I doubt most people would care about a philandering, difficult star if he wasn't also the face of everything wrong with every movie he's been in since puberty. Not that I condone his actions, either. I do think that comes off as particularly douchey, but I'm not sure anyone particularly would be up in arms if he wasn't also Shia LaBouef. It's sort of like people who are for the sanctity of marriage that then flock to Newt Gingrich or Rush Limbaugh.

lacktheknack said:
oh u.

People's utter hatred for Crystal Skull feels like a baffling worldwide prank against me, because I liked it a bit.
Eh, I don't really like it, but it wasn't awful. It just wasn't all that good. I personally think it was "okay."

But I grew up on Highlander movies, so I'm very good at pretending a sequel doesn't exist. ;)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Eh, I don't really like it, but it wasn't awful. It just wasn't all that good. I personally think it was "okay."

But I grew up on Highlander movies, so I'm very good at pretending a sequel doesn't exist. ;)
Highlander sequel? There was a Highlander sequel? YOU ARE LIES, SIR.

(I have a friend who basically has a stroke if you mention Highlander 2. :D)

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Eh, I only know him from the Bayformer films where I never harbored any hate for him personally, I just hated his role where I'm sure I would've hated anyone that was saying his lines in those god awful scripts.