Shigeru Miyamoto Wants to Make an FPS

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
You guys do know that Miyamoto had a hand in Metroid Prime, right? The visor system was his idea.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
VinLAURiA said:
You guys do know that Miyamoto had a hand in Metroid Prime, right? The visor system was his idea.
Viewing from a first person with a visor design for the HUD? Old, Rainbow six Take-Down thought of it before.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
You know what, I'm okay with this. I just read a long diatribe about how Japanese social constructs are damaging their games and making them unprofitable in the West. Perhaps Miyamoto's FPS will change up the notions of what is profitable and what is not.
Oh! You went to that thread to?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
RaNDM G said:
Metroid Prime with co-op.

C'mon Nintendo. Make it happen.
Multiplayer in metroid Prime 2 was really awesome with the 4 different modes on your cannon etc, a shame they took it away from Corruption.
But hell yeah for Samus + partner!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So, are we getting a news article for every word this man spits out randomly?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm very tired of FPSs, but this I believe could give the genre the innovation it needs. I guess it could be a Metroid or Kid Icarus game, but Nintendo really needs some new first party IPs, especially more "mature" ones, and even more especially one made by Miyamoto. I really hope he gets the time to make this, I think it could be a lot of fun.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
JPH330 said:
This is hilarious. I wonder what all the Nintendo fanboys who say "Yeah, Nintendo is awesome, they're not making a bunch of DUMB FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" are thinking right now.

Hey Moviebob! See this here?
You obviously don't understand what the Nintendo "fanboys" are saying.
The problem isn't the FPS, but the dumb part.

I doubt Miyamoto would make a classic, "dumb" shooter. Look at all his games. What do you see? Yes, colors. Something you don't see in the classic FPS.

FelixG said:
a new IP from Nintendo? ill believe it when they release it.
Well, it's already confirmed that Miyamoto is working on a completely new, secret project.
And I really liked how Iwata "hinted" that they can't say much about it because the competition likes to copy them. ^^

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Wait, if only he had the time he says? What, his busy schedule of re-releasing the same games is getting in the way of releasing something possibly new and innovative? Gosh dern it Nintendo...

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
If nintendo wants a good FPS hire the original Rare team that made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for N64. Then just let them run wild with the new technology.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Was something wrong with the Metroid Prime saga. It wasn't an FPS in the strictest sense, but they took it in the best direction I had ever seen.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
So would his version of a FPS game would simple have the enemy simple vanish when get shot? The idea of a Nintendo game that actually "kill" the bad guys is something I cannot grasp or it simply be no blood like Timesplitter?
Someone hasn't played Legend of Zelda or Star Fox.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Scow2 said:
Scarim Coral said:
So would his version of a FPS game would simple have the enemy simple vanish when get shot? The idea of a Nintendo game that actually "kill" the bad guys is something I cannot grasp or it simply be no blood like Timesplitter?
In every mario game ever you systematically murder legions of the koopa troop armies, including dozens of different races

who,

according to the RPGs, tv shows, sports titles, party games, and the more modern main series titles,

are ALL sapient creatures capable of communication.

Then there's pikmen, where you not only kill giant monsters via thousands of mosquito bites but also drag them back to your lair to have their biomass converted into pikmen.

Rect Pola said:
Was something wrong with the Metroid Prime saga. It wasn't an FPS in the strictest sense, but they took it in the best direction I had ever seen.
????? The primes took place in a first person perspective, and the main mechanic was shooting.

FPS

First

Person

Shooter

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Innegativeion said:
In every mario game ever you systematically murder legions of the koopa troop armies, including dozens of different races

who,

according to the RPGs, tv shows, sports titles, party games, and the more modern main series titles,

are ALL sapient creatures capable of communication.

Then there's pikmen, where you not only kill giant monsters via thousands of mosquito bites but also drag them back to your lair to have their biomass converted into pikmen.
Scow2 said:
Yes I do know Mario does got violence for stomping his enemies and Legend of Zelda did got FPS element with the bow and arrow (Star Fox was more like a shoot them up).
However consider what most FPS are like these days (Halo, Call of Duty, Gear Of War, Left 4 Dead, Serious Sam, Borderland, Fallout 3, Bullet Storm and etc and etc) I cannot grasp the idea of them doing a FPS like those unless it was quite kiddy in a way.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
rembrandtqeinstein said:
If nintendo wants a good FPS hire the original Rare team that made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for N64. Then just let them run wild with the new technology.
You mean the guys who made Haze? That´ll go well...

an874

Jul 17, 2009
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
This is hilarious. I wonder what all the Nintendo fanboys who say "Yeah, Nintendo is awesome, they're not making a bunch of DUMB FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" are thinking right now.

Hey Moviebob! See this here?
Did you even read the story? It sounds like he is more interested in the exploration aspect of what fps games used to be instead of the set pieces they mostly are now.
Still won't work for all the Nintendo fans who say first person shooters are inherently bad.

Hint: MovieBob.
You do realize he never said that, right?
Actually, he has in fact said exactly that. I can direct you to an episode of his Screwattack show "The Game Overthinker" called "Worst Person." I think it was episode 40-something, but I might be wrong. Go watch it, see his full view on the FPS genre, and tell then decide how you feel about his opinion, but he does end it quite inusltingly to people who like fps games (although it was done with comic exaggeration, so it didn't really bother me).

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Yes I do know Mario does got violence for stomping his enemies and Legend of Zelda did got FPS element with the bow and arrow (Star Fox was more like a shoot them up).
However consider what most FPS are like these days (Halo, Call of Duty, Gear Of War, Left 4 Dead, Serious Sam, Borderland, Fallout 3, Bullet Storm and etc and etc) I cannot grasp the idea of them doing a FPS like those unless it was quite kiddy in a way.
Well the Metroid Prime series are considered first party titles, and probably some of the best fps'es I've ever played. Right up there with Half-Life. Apparently, Miyamoto also had a hand in those, though not to the extent of mario and zelda of course.

You don't need blood to kill peeps.

The Metroid game actually got pretty graphic, what with all the firing off alien body parts to expose organs gushing with blue or green fluid, the excruciatingly detailed descriptions in scans of how corpses you find died, blowing up a giant womb, fighting possessed corpses, and various other, usually phazon-based, body horrors.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Innegativeion said:
Scarim Coral said:
Well the Metroid Prime series are considered first party titles, and probably some of the best fps'es I've ever played. Right up there with Half-Life. Apparently, Miyamoto also had a hand in those, though not to the extent of mario and zelda of course.

You don't need blood to kill peeps.

The Metroid game actually got pretty graphic, what with all the firing off alien body parts to expose organs gushing with blue or green fluid, the excruciatingly detailed descriptions in scans of how corpses you find died, blowing up a giant womb, fighting possessed corpses, and various other, usually phazon-based, body horrors.
True I guess since I have played and loved the Prime series but wouldn't the alien fuild you just shot would consider to be blood will alien blood?
I guess I can't picture Miyamoto, the creator of Mario to consider making a proper FPS game per say as he always seen games to be fun and playful and not violence like most FPS game. I mean I think it would be similar to Timesplitter as that game was fun and playful while you still kill things in that game.