WhiteTigerShiro said:
JPH330 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
This is hilarious. I wonder what all the Nintendo fanboys who say "Yeah, Nintendo is awesome, they're not making a bunch of DUMB FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" are thinking right now.

Hey Moviebob! See this here?
Did you even read the story? It sounds like he is more interested in the exploration aspect of what fps games used to be instead of the set pieces they mostly are now.
Still won't work for all the Nintendo fans who say first person shooters are inherently bad.

Hint: MovieBob.
You do realize he never said that, right?
Yes, he did. [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-42-worst-person%E2%80%9D]
And not even a full minute into the video that you submit as evidence of MovieBob hating FPS games (about 50 seconds in, if we're keeping track): "I don't hate first person shooters". gg
I didn't say he hated them. Don't put words into my mouth.
Semantics. He still doesn't say what you think he says in that video. All he says (essentially) is that the FPS genre has grown stagnant; and it has. And this is coming from a person who's favorite games list includes titles like Serious Sam, Fallout 3, and Half Li- well, basically anything from Valve, really. ;P And let's not forget Deus Ex, Killing Floor, and a number of other FPS titles that would be hard to remove from a "Top 10 Favorites" list for me.

Face it, the last time the FPS genre had any innovation was when someone said "Hey, what if it took a realistic amount of bullets to kill someone?" And that was over a decade ago! That doesn't make them "inherently bad", a phrase which is never said through-out that entire video*, by the way, Mr. "Don't put words in my mouth". It just means that they aren't really doing anything. So if you weren't into FPS titles 10 years ago, what's changed that maybe you'll want to check them out now?

*Edit: Okay, so after rewatching the video, he does say "inherently flawed", however he isn't talking about FPS's, he's talking about the first person perspective in general not really working for anything outside of Shooters (not counting games where you just look at stuff).
Not to mention, I've never really thought MovieBob had sharp and grounded social or technical perceptions. I.e., I get my commentary elsewhere.

OT, Miyamoto is Miyamoto. To doubt the guy shows a fair degree of bias, as just about every known developer, designer, or game industry professional sees him as an inspirational figure.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
DugMachine said:
Aren't the Metroid Prime games FPS? I r confused
He was only a producer on the Metroid Prime series. Granted, that means a helluva lot more in regards to Miyamoto than the average producer, but what he's saying is that he wants to be the lead developer on a FPS.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Innegativeion said:
Rect Pola said:
Was something wrong with the Metroid Prime saga. It wasn't an FPS in the strictest sense, but they took it in the best direction I had ever seen.
????? The primes took place in a first person perspective, and the main mechanic was shooting.

FPS

First

Person

Shooter
Extra Credits was very recently all over how our genre definitions don't really hold up because we kinda sorta recognise things by more in the presentation than just the perspective or mechanics. I personally consider the Primes within those hazy lines that used the tools of an FPS but not in how I identify the term.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
So, I see people here claiming that Nintendo is completely kiddie-kiddie and would never make anything to interest a mature crowd.

Sorry, but, typing out laughter looks just plain foolish, so, I'll leave it there.

Not to mention "Nintendo just releases the same thing over and over again". Do you people... like... go any further than just looking at trailers? Honestly...

And why is it that so many of you are all like... "Nintendo had something to do with Metroid Prime, which is in a franchise that isn't even FPS. Therefore, Miyamoto has to right to want to lead the design on a new FPS!"

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Rect Pola said:
Extra Credits was very recently all over how our genre definitions don't really hold up because we kinda sorta recognise things by more in the presentation than just the perspective or mechanics. I personally consider the Primes within those hazy lines that used the tools of an FPS but not in how I identify the term.
While I'm usually all about most of what dan and james say, that particular episode is one with which I respectfully disagree.

While a genre certainly needn't be a rigid set of guidelines, they can at least be broadly placed upon games after the fact based on what the games *are*, rather than what we expect them to be, at least in my opinion.

For example we can come up with different names for character centric and exploration centric rpgs, but I don't think they should be labeled JRPGs or WRPGs respectively, as those names imply a region of origin.

Just as the name FPS implies nothing more than a game that is in 1st person, and in which you shoot things.