Should "Cracker" be a racial slur?

Brightzide

Nov 22, 2009
Nope. Leave it as a foodstuff that goes darn well with cheese. Never saw the offensive side to it anyways.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
Well it already is a racial slur, but I'm guessing that that you mean by your post, OP, is "should it be as controversial a slur as "******" or "slope" or "wog"".
Call me extremely stereotypically white, but yeah, it should. Like many of the whites on here I'm not particularly offended by it, but I am offended by the fact that ethnic minorities are allowed to be racist against both whites and other ethnic minorities. I'm offended that that is not considered racism. There was apparently some philosopher on such matters in the 70s or something that said that racism = prejudice + power, and in that sense white people are the only people who are able to be racist (at least in English-speaking countries). I call bullshit on that one, and I am pretty sure that anybody of an ethnic minority that is not a total prick probably refrains from using the word "cracker" when not talking about Jatz or Saos.

Racism is a difficult issue, because there is a lot of it still around, even if people don't necessarily consciously realise it. Ideally we want to get to a stage where everybody is treated equally, and allowing ethnic minorities to use racial slurs is causing more problems than it solves, because it's giving ethnic minorities something that whites aren't allowed, as it were. I object to whites being given something that ethnic minorities aren't allowed as well, to be perfectly clear. My point is that having two sets of rules for different sets of people is doing nothing to help us reach that ultimate state where everybody is equal.

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
To be honest, it being returned to meaning a savoury biscuit would save me a TON of insults on XBL...

Didn't know it was in fact a slur until after about a year or so of being confused as hell.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
No. It needs to remain the staple of all white people making clumsy attempts to victimize themselves.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Cracker3011 said:
To be honest, it being returned to meaning a savoury biscuit would save me a TON of insults on XBL...

Didn't know it was in fact a slur until after about a year or so of being confused as hell.
Wait, savory? I guess they don't really have that version where I'm from. We pretty much just have the version that sorta goes with some soups if you're into that kind of thing...

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Meh, I personally don't let it bother me either way. If all someone can think of is to make fun of a stereotypical strawman based on the colour of your skin then they're someone to laugh at, not get offended by.

I could out-do them in so many, much more personal ways. It's so much more offensive to that person if you actually put in the effort to tailor your insults to that particular person instead of some generic factor.

Captha: "yptin problems"

Damnit, I'm having problems with my yptin again, I've got to go see the doctor now.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Maphysto said:
Meh, given that white people have a good 500 years' history of oppressing everybody that isn't white, I think we can take it on the chin for a little while.
I haven't oppressed anybody, why should I take crap for what someone else did when I wasn't even alive. Just because we share skin colour? Please.

FirearmsKill

Oct 12, 2010
It technically is a racial slur since it is meant to offend someone of a specific race. But no one takes it heartily. I've noticed no one can come up with many or any good racial slurs for the whites. All they have is cracker and honky which both make me laugh. Seems no one takes offense to being called a piece of food or a user of horns.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Marter said:
It has an alternate definition, and declaring it a racial slur would lead to much confusion.

Leave it as it.
****** - Bundle of sticks or twigs

what were you saying?

anyway, "Honky" is already a racial slur for white people, and there doesnt appear to be any second meaning to it. its just not as popular to racists as "cracker" is.

but seriously, if youre white like i am, you probably dont give a crap what people call you, when it comes to your skin color.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Racial slurs against white people shouldn't really be any more acceptable than slurs against other races, but having said that, I doubt it'd bother me much. If someone was inclined to say it to me in an offensive manner, then odds are they aren't the kind of person that I give a shit what they think. Of course, if they did manage to actually insult me, I could always just casually deck them. I think that'd hurt a lot more.

higgs20

Feb 16, 2010
I wouldn't be offended if someone called me 'pop tart' or 'rivita' so I'm actually fine with cracker, I'll be offended when there is a racial slur against us pale bellies that isn't hilarious, I personally don't think honkie is offensive either purely because of the ridiculousness of the word.

shasqueebo

Apr 16, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Don't you know the rule?

It's only racist if a white person said it.

Gawwwd.

I thought everybody knew that.
I know it's meant to be sarcasm, but sadly that's how things are treated a large amount of the time, at least in America.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It already is one...
But I wouldn't be offended if someone called me it, though I'm never offended.