Shower Thoughts MK2

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The ancient Egyptians were huge fucking furries. Why? In Koine Greek, the name of the god of knowledge, Thoth, is spelled as Θώθ

Then again, the fact most of their gods have animal heads should already have been a dead givaway. Fucking heretics!!!!!!!!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Have you ever been watching a movie/tv show, where there is a couple having a conversation in public, usually a restaurant. And you find yourself more curious about the conversations that the extras are having in the background? Like, do they just mouth gibberish at each other, and nod and gesture?

Do they come up with their own little micro-script for the scene? Like, do they suddenly play out a tense little drama of a couple, tired from years together, just going through the ropes, discussing why they fell apart, and if they can fix it. And how they knew they loved each other, but maybe it's time to move on....and we NEVER HEAR IT!!

All of you reading this, from now on, when you see a scene like that in a movie, you will now find yourself watching the extras in the background, and see them going through motions, and you will think...."what are they talking about? I must know!!"

.....or is it just me?
I think they just either let the extras work it out between themselves or give them a random topic to make conversation about in the background.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think they just either let the extras work it out between themselves or give them a random topic to make conversation about in the background.
....yes, I'm sure that's what happens, I was being comical about it, and just pointing out that there we multiple people in that scene, over multiple takes (because they rarely nail it in one), just...doing their own little acting bits, that we don't hear because the mics aren't set to hear them. And I just find it funny, to think of them, after like, take 37, just adlibbing shit for their own amusement, because "Catherine Heigle can't get her fucking lines right, and holy shit is this dress tight, and I'm tired of sitting under these lights and this vent, for a role that nobody hears! Do you ever wonder why we do this Steve? Eh, I don't care your name's not Steve, I'm calling you Steve, we're just extras, I might as well be a fucking Linda for all they care. Steve and Linda! In the background of hundreds of romcoms, constantly eating! I bet none of THEM care that I've got a glucose problem, so just LOOKING at this dish in front of me is making me ill, but hey that's fine, it's all for the craft right!? Fucking Hollywood, I should've been a dentist like my mom suggested!"

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Is the American aversion to using the word "kunt" because they see it as a gendered insult? Cause while I was brought up around cockneys who pretty much cemented the use of the word as punctuation (and is why the soap opera Eastenders can only be considered fantasy), I never heard the word used in a gendered way not even once. Yet the very few times I've heard it used in a gendered way (in recent times) is in American media. Ungender it, and you'll find yourselves freeeeee!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Is the American aversion to using the word "kunt" because they see it as a gendered insult? Cause while I was brought up around cockneys who pretty much cemented the use of the word as punctuation, I never heard the word used in a gendered way not even once. Yet the very few times I've heard it used in a gendered way (in recent times) is in American media. Ungender it, and you'll find yourselves freeeeee!
I would say yes, because over here, it's usually used to refer to a female you don't like. I mean, I'm sure some people use it to refer to guys who are assholes, but usually they would go with dick, or asshole, etc. But kunt (are you spelling it with a K to avoid the site censoring perhaps or is that how it's spelled over the pond? We use a C when spelling it usually) is almost always referring to a woman, which yes, makes many people consider it on par with the N word, but just a gendered version.

As to convincing people who are offended by something to not be offended by it....yeah, good luck with that.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I would say yes, because over here, it's usually used to refer to a female you don't like. I mean, I'm sure some people use it to refer to guys who are assholes, but usually they would go with dick, or asshole, etc. But kunt (are you spelling it with a K to avoid the site censoring perhaps or is that how it's spelled over the pond? We use a C when spelling it usually) is almost always referring to a woman, which yes, makes many people consider it on par with the N word, but just a gendered version.

As to convincing people who are offended by something to not be offended by it....yeah, good luck with that.
Ah, as suspected. But I think you got the wrong end of my stick, I was not saying people shouldn't be offended, that is a fools errand for sociopaths. Instead that if the word was practiced enough without the genderism, it can shake off those unsavoury restrictions. It's just not seen that way over here, it is no different from "asshole" or expressing general frustration or anything else.
And yeah, I was spelling it different just so others would have a clue what I was waffling about. 🤗 And now at least I know to be more careful with those words around uninitiated Americans in future!

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I wouldn't say it's on par with the N word. The C word is just considered extremely and unnecessarily vulgar whereas the N word has hundreds of years of sordid history in reference to an entire people; use of it in decent company is bound to raise more eyebrows than the C worded slipping out by some drunk at the bar in reference to an ex-girlfriend.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I wouldn't say it's on par with the N word. The C word is just considered extremely and unnecessarily vulgar whereas the N word has hundreds of years of sordid history in reference to an entire people; use of it in decent company is bound to raise more eyebrows than the C worded slipping out by some drunk at the bar in reference to an ex-girlfriend.
Oh *I* don't feel it's on par with the N word, but I HAVE heard many people compare it to that, as far as "level of offensiveness". YMMV on how accurate that is, but it is an opinion I've seen publicly stated.
Ah, as suspected. But I think you got the wrong end of my stick, I was not saying people shouldn't be offended, that is a fools errand for sociopaths. Instead that if the word was practiced enough without the genderism, it can shake off those unsavoury restrictions. It's just not seen that way over here, it is no different from "asshole" or expressing general frustration or anything else.
And yeah, I was spelling it different just so others would have a clue what I was waffling about. 🤗 And now at least I know to be more careful with those words around uninitiated Americans in future!
Oh I know what you meant, I'm just saying that I find it incredibly unlikely that you would be able to convince anyone to be less offended by a word, by spreading it around more. That's...just not how people who are offended by that word work. It would be NICE, but it just won't happen. :)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh *I* don't feel it's on par with the N word, but I HAVE heard many people compare it to that, as far as "level of offensiveness". YMMV on how accurate that is, but it is an opinion I've seen publicly stated.

Oh I know what you meant, I'm just saying that I find it incredibly unlikely that you would be able to convince anyone to be less offended by a word, by spreading it around more. That's...just not how people who are offended by that word work. It would be NICE, but it just won't happen. :)
Just so we're all clear, I don't like using either variations of the n word. ER nor A. I took a vow. Plus, I have my own set of standards.

Reactions: ObsidianJones

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Just so we're all clear, I don't like using either variations of the n word. ER nor A. I took a vow. Plus, I have my own set of standards.
This reminds me of when I was a teen in school. Back in the 90's when gangsta rap put it out everywhere, and people wanted to say it because it was the hip thing to do.

I was asked why I never say it. I said because I know what it means, and more importantly, I'm not one.

And my friend... a person who I would have a close friendship for fifteen years after high school looked at me, smirked, and said "You're not one?! Come on."

The only reason I didn't bounce his body off of the sidewalk is that he spoke from an actual ignorance, not a willful one.

I took a second, gathered myself, looked at him and said "Do you know what the word actually means?"

He said it was an insult for black people. To which I said no. It has an actual meaning. He thought that was that. So I talked about Dred Scott. That Blacks couldn't be equals, their tentative status of 'free people' were subject to whoever was in rule at that time, and how it was law for a good long while that I couldn't be even a citizen.

White Americans were citizens. Were valued. N-words were commodities. Cattle that could talk. Basically not human.

And that was the difference between the words. the C-word is a rude word for a body part, which actual moving human beings could not be. The B-word is a word for a female dog, and obviously not a human woman because you can see she's a human woman. That's just an insult.

But the N-word was an actual classification that dehumanized an entire race of people. It's not an insult. It was actual fact that was ruled on by this land that anyone who is considered an N-word would be stripped of any rights, power, and say in their own lives, and it would be even criminal to try to free these people from their rightful owners.

This has been the basis of the N-word argument since I've been having it. And the start of the counter of "Well, why do you get to say it and I don't"

My people didn't gather once and affix it to ourselves to happily define us willing subhuman cattle that another culture can do whatever it wants to it. That was the dominant white culture. And even though I don't use it, I understand why my race does. Because it is so easy to sit back and think it's all good now. That Racism is over. But time and time again, from police officers to voting rights to MAGA hordes descending on a black woman for daring to have a BLM sticker in her window.

It's to remind us that no matter how much time as passed, we are still strangers in a strange land and it's better for us to remember that than to fool ourselves to thinking we're accepted.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Is the American aversion to using the word "kunt" because they see it as a gendered insult? Cause while I was brought up around cockneys who pretty much cemented the use of the word as punctuation (and is why the soap opera Eastenders can only be considered fantasy), I never heard the word used in a gendered way not even once. Yet the very few times I've heard it used in a gendered way (in recent times) is in American media. Ungender it, and you'll find yourselves freeeeee!
Australia is much the same; it’s not a word it’s a comma.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Have you ever been watching a movie/tv show, where there is a couple having a conversation in public, usually a restaurant. And you find yourself more curious about the conversations that the extras are having in the background? Like, do they just mouth gibberish at each other, and nod and gesture?

Do they come up with their own little micro-script for the scene? Like, do they suddenly play out a tense little drama of a couple, tired from years together, just going through the ropes, discussing why they fell apart, and if they can fix it. And how they knew they loved each other, but maybe it's time to move on....and we NEVER HEAR IT!!

All of you reading this, from now on, when you see a scene like that in a movie, you will now find yourself watching the extras in the background, and see them going through motions, and you will think...."what are they talking about? I must know!!"

.....or is it just me?
The only show that I've seen that made effective use of background chatter has been Generation Kill. The large ensemble cast is usually heard in the background of a lot of scenes having conversations amongst themselves, and since it's based on a more modern conflict, we also get radio chatter too. While these conversations aren't the focus of the scene, they are shot in a way that you can follow them.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't use it either. I'm also a middle aged white dude, so you know, not a good plan for me to use it in any scenario. I've never had the need to, but damn I've heard it used around me for my whole life, having grown up in Alabama.

This reminds me of when I was a teen in school. Back in the 90's when gangsta rap put it out everywhere, and people wanted to say it because it was the hip thing to do.

I was asked why I never say it. I said because I know what it means, and more importantly, I'm not one.

And my friend... a person who I would have a close friendship for fifteen years after high school looked at me, smirked, and said "You're not one?! Come on."

The only reason I didn't bounce his body off of the sidewalk is that he spoke from an actual ignorance, not a willful one.

I took a second, gathered myself, looked at him and said "Do you know what the word actually means?"

He said it was an insult for black people. To which I said no. It has an actual meaning. He thought that was that. So I talked about Dred Scott. That Blacks couldn't be equals, their tentative status of 'free people' were subject to whoever was in rule at that time, and how it was law for a good long while that I couldn't be even a citizen.

White Americans were citizens. Were valued. N-words were commodities. Cattle that could talk. Basically not human.

And that was the difference between the words. the C-word is a rude word for a body part, which actual moving human beings could not be. The B-word is a word for a female dog, and obviously not a human woman because you can see she's a human woman. That's just an insult.

But the N-word was an actual classification that dehumanized an entire race of people. It's not an insult. It was actual fact that was ruled on by this land that anyone who is considered an N-word would be stripped of any rights, power, and say in their own lives, and it would be even criminal to try to free these people from their rightful owners.

This has been the basis of the N-word argument since I've been having it. And the start of the counter of "Well, why do you get to say it and I don't"

My people didn't gather once and affix it to ourselves to happily define us willing subhuman cattle that another culture can do whatever it wants to it. That was the dominant white culture. And even though I don't use it, I understand why my race does. Because it is so easy to sit back and think it's all good now. That Racism is over. But time and time again, from police officers to voting rights to MAGA hordes descending on a black woman for daring to have a BLM sticker in her window.

It's to remind us that no matter how much time as passed, we are still strangers in a strange land and it's better for us to remember that than to fool ourselves to thinking we're accepted.
Highlighted, bolded and italicized for this response:
I will say, that a lot of white people that I've heard use it over the years, do seem to use it to specifically refer to "asshole black people", implying they don't think it applies to all black people, and it's only to describe the ones they don't like. The problem is I never really saw them refer to anyone in a positive manner, thus serving as a counter-point to the "it's just an insult" response. It's clearly how they THINK they are using it, but it's pretty obvious that they've got a pretty broad definition of "asshole black person", that might as well be all-encompassing.

The level of mental disconnect really is kind of amazing to me. I recall one co-worker at a job like....shit, 20 years ago now? Yeah I guess so, that, he just used pretty much every racial slur as casual as can be, and tried to imply "oh I don't mean nuthin by it! ...but you know, he only used them when it was only white people around. Black people? N-word. Middle Eastern? Sand N-word. Hispanic/Latino - spi*** or wetba**, the list went on and on. And EVERY time I would say "Dude! It's not fucking ok to call them that, I don't like it, and it's insulting." "Oh come on, I don't mean nothin by it!" Yeah, whatever dude. I hated that fucking job, because I spent my entire shift with that guy. We were a 2 man team on a large machine, so I was forced to interact with him 12 hours a day.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
his reminds me of when I was a teen in school. Back in the 90's when gangsta rap put it out everywhere, and people wanted to say it because it was the hip thing to do.

Do you remember his reaction once you gave him the details? There were a lot of black guys and gals in high school (not all) that used the N-Word with A at the end. The kids that are White, Latino, Asian, or Caldian knew to not even try it. Many were surprised I did not use it, and some could not understand why, but most were at least were able to understand (somewhat) and respect me for it. Even some of the assholes in my school knew where to draw the line in that regard. I told them was the reason similar to yours, though I did not know all of the details at the time. The reason was that I found it boring and uninteresting and the fact that some kids were using to just to be "gangsta/ghetto tough guy/gal" or edgy made even less inclined to say the word.

With all that has gone, I've not grown cynical. I know that are those that don't and won't accepts us, but I have met and encountered many who do. I don't feel like a stranger in a strange and neither do most of my family. I can't speak for you or your life experiences, but I disagree with you in this regard.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't use it either. I'm also a middle aged white dude, so you know, not a good plan for me to use it in any scenario. I've never had the need to, but damn I've heard it used around me for my whole life, having grown up in Alabama.

Highlighted, bolded and italicized for this response:
I will say, that a lot of white people that I've heard use it over the years, do seem to use it to specifically refer to "asshole black people", implying they don't think it applies to all black people, and it's only to describe the ones they don't like. The problem is I never really saw them refer to anyone in a positive manner, thus serving as a counter-point to the "it's just an insult" response. It's clearly how they THINK they are using it, but it's pretty obvious that they've got a pretty broad definition of "asshole black person", that might as well be all-encompassing.

The level of mental disconnect really is kind of amazing to me. I recall one co-worker at a job like....shit, 20 years ago now? Yeah I guess so, that, he just used pretty much every racial slur as casual as can be, and tried to imply "oh I don't mean nuthin by it! ...but you know, he only used them when it was only white people around. Black people? N-word. Middle Eastern? Sand N-word. Hispanic/Latino - spi*** or wetba**, the list went on and on. And EVERY time I would say "Dude! It's not fucking ok to call them that, I don't like it, and it's insulting." "Oh come on, I don't mean nothin by it!" Yeah, whatever dude. I hated that fucking job, because I spent my entire shift with that guy. We were a 2 man team on a large machine, so I was forced to interact with him 12 hours a day.
Did he ever get fired or reprimanded for it? If not, I hope at least someone gave him ass kicking with steel toed boots wrapped in barbed wire. At leas you were able to quit the job and never see his ass again.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Did he ever get fired or reprimanded for it? If not, I hope at least someone gave him ass kicking with steel toed boots wrapped in barbed wire. At leas you were able to quit the job and never see his ass again.
No, the entire place was filled with redneck assholes, so he didn't lose his job as a result.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
True shower thought: I'm going to invent a caffeinated protein drink and call it "Procaine;" basically sells itself. Why hasn't anyone does this yet?

And why are YOU thinking of stealing it?

AND why did I post this online before securing the patent??

Oh, just looked it up; it exists; the name does, at least. Far less sexy than I was thinking, though; to be honest, I was more impressed with the name "I invented" than the quality of the actual product I envisioned, so meh.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
True shower thought: I'm going to invent a caffeinated protein drink and call it "Procaine;" basically sells itself. Why hasn't anyone does this yet?

And why are YOU thinking of stealing it?

AND why did I post this online before securing the patent??

Oh, just looked it up; it exists; the name does, at least. Far less sexy than I was thinking, though; to be honest, I was more impressed with the name "I invented" than the quality of the actual product I envisioned, so meh.
Shouldn't it be Proffeine? :p I mean the "aine" sound isn't in either word. Your shower thought sucks!! :p

Sidenote: I'm now trying to think of something to combine with protein to make a product I can call Profaine, just to annoy the religious nutjobs. Watch them go into a zealot frenzy about "The devil is selling profanity on the shelves!!"

Reactions: Xprimentyl