Shower Thoughts MK2

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Not to offend anyone, but general disposition wise Australians seem like they have more in common with Americans than the British.

Context: I was watching Bess of Both worlds and if it wasn't for the accents I almost thought it was an american TV show.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Wise words from Superman. My favorite Superman along with the Animated Series version.

I could take him or leave him as superman to be honest, but I do just like HIM. I find his IRL stuff, like interviews and Q&As to be way more endearing than his acting so far. I mean, I think he's fine as an actor, don't get me wrong, but I think he's just a really cool human.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Not to offend anyone, but general disposition wise Australians seem like they have more in common with Americans than the British.

Context: I was watching Bess of Both worlds and if it wasn't for the accents I almost thought it was an american TV show.
I wouldn't exactly call 'Upper Middle Bogan' - that's the actual name of the show - terribly representative of Australia as a whole. I won't deny there's definately some cultural cross pollination between the two countries though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I really hate people who try and zoom ahead in the lane that is being blocked off for construction or whatever, and then try and forcibly merge into YOUR lane at the last second. Because they're just too fucking important to merge earlier when it won't fuck up the flow. Never realizing them doing that is the main fucking reason the lane isn't moving! Because we keep having to stop to let their fucking asses into the flow!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I really hate people who try and zoom ahead in the lane that is being blocked off for construction or whatever, and then try and forcibly merge into YOUR lane at the last second. Because they're just too fucking important to merge earlier when it won't fuck up the flow. Never realizing them doing that is the main fucking reason the lane isn't moving! Because we keep having to stop to let their fucking asses into the flow!
1621519645505.png

I have several reasons to doubt humanity's collective intelligence, but few things demonstrate why I might feel that way like what you've mentioned. I always pray that the karmic gods don't let the asshole who passes 30 cars just to sit in front of a right-pointing traffic arrow with his right blinker on isn't allowed back into flowing traffic until the 31st car has passed him. I never get that satisfaction, but rest assured, I'm not letting those kinds of people in; you saw the sign a mile ago just like I did, fucker; deal with it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Do you think hard core fishermen, who pride themselves on how well they can bait a line....call themselves Master Baiters?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Do you think hard core fishermen, who pride themselves on how well they can bait a line....call themselves Master Baiters?
I've just realized that this sort of pun goes back much farther than I really assumed. I'm reading Oliver Twist (1838) and there is a young disreputable character named Charlie Bates, and Dickens almost exclusively refers to him as 'Master Bates'. Which isn't the kind of thing I expected from a renowned Victorian Era author.

Reactions: happyninja42

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've just realized that this sort of pun goes back much farther than I really assumed. I'm reading Oliver Twist (1838) and there is a young disreputable character named Charlie Bates, and Dickens almost exclusively refers to him as 'Master Bates'. Which isn't the kind of thing I expected from a renowned Victorian Era author.
That’s because ‘Master’ was a common form of address for young men in the period. For a more contemporary example, Geoffrey refers to Will and Carlton as ‘Master William’ and ‘Master Carlton’. It’s just one of those unfortunate linguistic things that’s also funny to a modern audience.

See also the possible urban legend parody of Captain Pugwash from (I think) The Kenny Everett show that stared “Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy”.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
That’s because ‘Master’ was a common form of address for young men in the period. For a more contemporary example, Geoffrey refers to Will and Carlton as ‘Master William’ and ‘Master Carlton’. It’s just one of those unfortunate linguistic things that’s also funny to a modern audience.

See also the possible urban legend parody of Captain Pugwash from (I think) The Kenny Everett show that stared “Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy”.
I know that it's a common address for the time. However, he's also the only character out of many young male characters that he refers to with that address. And he nearly always calls him that. I absolutely refuse to believe it's not a pun, as there is no legitimate reason to refer to a vagrant pickpocket as 'master'.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I know that it's a common address for the time. However, he's also the only character out of many young male characters that he refers to with that address. And he nearly always calls him that. I absolutely refuse to believe it's not a pun, as there is no legitimate reason to refer to a vagrant pickpocket as 'master'.
Earlier era people were just as dirty and raunchy as we are, and also loved trying to be witty and sneaky with public displays of it, especially in art. So yeah, I have no problem thinking it was a bit of a joke, and some blue humor he tossed in there.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was so close to having my parents name their pet puppy, Nero. Alas, they chose something else. They did appreciate the list I gave them though. They pick up the puppy tomorrow.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I was so close to having my parents name their pet puppy, Nero. Alas, they chose something else. They did appreciate the list I gave them though. They pick up the puppy tomorrow.
I have two sisters, one (Shelly) is an animal lover married to a guy who absolutely does not like animals; the other (Nicky) absolutely doesn't like animals and is married to a guy who loves them. The first time I took my girlfriend back home (to Ohio) to meet my family, she climbed my parents' neighbors' tree to rescue a kitten that was stranded after being chased up their by the neighbors' dog. The rest of the weekend was Shelly begging Nicky to take in this cat, promising to pay for vet bills and shots, etc., but I got to name her "Luda," short for Ludacris the rapper from a line in this particular skit (below.) I don't care for him personally, but the situation was just so "ludicrous," my girlfriend climbing a tree, in a skirt, in front of my family she'd only just met, felt fitting. That was 5 years ago, and to this day, Luda is the most spoiled cat you'll ever meet. Even brought out the animal lover in Nicky; this cat wears swarovski crystals on her collar, for God's sake.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I want to open up a medical center that is nothing but delivery/maternity wards for pregnant witches/wiccans. And make it mandatory that during EVERY delivery, as the kids are brought out, Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Chile plays in the delivery room.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
The 'internet of things' is stupid, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a USB (or similar port) to plug into nearly every electronic to make small changes to how they work.
  • Make my alarm clock's snooze be a half hour instead of seven minutes
  • Program a universal TV remote by dragging and dropping code snippets
  • Make a TV's mute button reduce the audio by 90% instead of complete silence
Either that or I just wanna play Mega Man: Battle Network again.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I want a company that makes a regular sized product, and a mini-sized product of the same thing, to do a run of the regular sized product, but package it as the mini-sized product, but now Extra Large. Just to fuck with people.

"Introducing new Mini-Oreos!! Now with 100% more Oreo!! Same mini taste you love! Just more of it!!" *literally nothing but the regular Oreos with a new wrapper*

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I want a company that makes a regular sized product, and a mini-sized product of the same thing, to do a run of the regular sized product, but package it as the mini-sized product, but now Extra Large. Just to fuck with people.

"Introducing new Mini-Oreos!! Now with 100% more Oreo!! Same mini taste you love! Just more of it!!" *literally nothing but the regular Oreos with a new wrapper*
It actually baffles me when companies make smaller versions of their established products, like the "new" Kit Kat Thins which are essentially half a regular Kit Kat. In what board meeting did someone say "let's sell half our shit as some new shit," and everyone was on board. I like Kit Kats; I've never been troubled that they were too big. Here's an idea for those that were, though: buy a regular Kit Kat... and eat half of it; save the rest for later when you want another half.

Or when cleaning products/medicines sell "extra/maximum strength." If you've got the maximum cleaning power/curative properties figured out... shouldn't that just be your product?? Why are you wasting valuable factory space, workers' time and energy producing a less effective line of your product if you've got the "best" version on offer? I guess in the vein of your shower thought, though, it would be hilarious if a company released the "maximum" effectiveness version first, then offered the lesser version later like "Y'know how Tylenol works great already? Well here's a version that doesn't!"

Reactions: happyninja42

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Actual shower thought: If a standard six-sided dice has indentations of equal size for all numbers, isn't it inherently weighted in favor of the 'six' side (as the 'one' side would weigh the most and tend to land that side down)?

Reactions: Xprimentyl