Shower Thoughts MK2

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well yeah, I would think someone with a high alcohol level in their blood on a consistent basis could severely react with any of the strong medication they give you when recovering from surgery. So yes, it probably does factor into the equation in a lot of ways. For one, it would likely determine if they need to give you a medication that is less reactive to alcohol. For another, it will probably at least cover them, insurance wise, if you have a severe reaction, they can point to the chart and say "She reported 5 drinks a week, under that information, Medication X is perfectly safe. We can't help it if she lied to us and drinks way more than that, thus why she had a bad reaction to Medication X."

And yes, I'm pretty sure it's been studied that when asked questions about behaviors that are considered morally questionable, people will often lie their asses off, even when it's potentially hazardous to their health. So yeah, I would suspect they assume people are under reporting their drug use, partly out of shame/cultural pressure, and also possibly out of fear of some kind of legal reprisal.
Obviously alcohol in the system affects reaction to certain meds, my question was more if I say 5 drinks, do they prescribe for 5, or do they go "yeah, right" and prescribe for like 10 or more. Just curious how big the swing they account for.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Obviously alcohol in the system affects reaction to certain meds, my question was more if I say 5 drinks, do they prescribe for 5, or do they go "yeah, right" and prescribe for like 10 or more. Just curious how big the swing they account for.
I'm not a doctor but my relative is a pharmacist and I texted them the question. The answer I got was basically "for goodness sake don't lie to the doctor, but no its not like we look at a scale and adjust stuff". Apparently the biggest issues arise when you claim you're dry and you aren't, because there are some perscriptions that can't be taken at all by people who drink alcohol due to liver damage potential, but you'll know if you're taking one because they will outright tell you to not ever drink while taking this or that drug. Otherwise it sounds like its mostly a thing where people who drink tend to recover more slowly so they might add an extra followup to your schedule as opposed to giving you more/less drugs depending on your reported drinking habit. Oh and they say that if you report something that sounds like alcoholism they'll raise it to you, but I guess that usually gets dealt with before the surgery happens.

As a guy who's had a few different bits pulled out over the years the advice I would give is that she should probably lay off the sauce while recovering anyway - whatever negative effects alcohol causes her normally raise exponentially while recovering from surgery, and her tolerance is probably gonna drop like a stone. I accidentally got drunk after two beers following surgery once and not only was that not fun, it was easily the worst hangover I've ever had in my life. I could feel my headache in my stitches.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm not a doctor but my relative is a pharmacist and I texted them the question. The answer I got was basically "for goodness sake don't lie to the doctor, but no its not like we look at a scale and adjust stuff".
THAT answers my question; thanks! I told her she shouldn't have lied mostly because I was worried it was "if she's 5 week, give her 10cc of "go-to-sleepium," and if it's 10 a week, give her 3cc" or something to that effect.

Apparently the biggest issues arise when you claim you're dry and you aren't, because there are some perscriptions that can't be taken at all by people who drink alcohol due to liver damage potential, but you'll know if you're taking one because they will outright tell you to not ever drink while taking this or that drug. Otherwise it sounds like its mostly a thing where people who drink tend to recover more slowly so they might add an extra followup to your schedule as opposed to giving you more/less drugs depending on your reported drinking habit. Oh and they say that if you report something that sounds like alcoholism they'll raise it to you, but I guess that usually gets dealt with before the surgery happens.

As a guy who's had a few different bits pulled out over the years the advice I would give is that she should probably lay off the sauce while recovering anyway - whatever negative effects alcohol causes her normally raise exponentially while recovering from surgery, and her tolerance is probably gonna drop like a stone. I accidentally got drunk after two beers following surgery once and not only was that not fun, it was easily the worst hangover I've ever had in my life. I could feel my headache in my stitches.
Yeah, we're not lushes; I don't mean to make it sound like she's concealing a drinking problem; she's just very prudish (ex-Jehovah's Witness) and thinks most of he "worldly" things we do are frowned upon by people in positions of intellectual authority. We're good for a nightcap and occasionally more on the weekends when we get "crazy." I think she probably told the doctor 2-3. Thank GOD she didn't say she didn't drink! But thanks for the info; didn't mean to turn Shower Thoughts into a medical advice thread!

Reactions: EvilRoy

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My only real "problem" with a black Batman is the aesthetic. The cowl just doesn't look right without the contrast between the black leather/rubber/magical bulletproof material and Bruce's pasty white chin.

Came to mind after seeing the new Batwoman on CW. They literally just popped her into the costume of the first actor, and it looks really weird. Thankfully in the comics, the new black Batman has a cowl that covers his whole face. I think DC massively fucked up by having the cover of the issue introducing the new Batman be him without his cowl. The dude has a mustache and beard, and it made think how ridiculous that would look in the original Batman costume.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Anyone else constantly try and find comments for this thread, as if they are doing "Deep Thoughts, with Jack Handy" ? Because I do...every...time.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The best thing about using weed to kill off suicidal thoughts is that even in the moments when such strategy doesn't fully work, you at least cannot be arsed to put any of those thoughts into action

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
What's the sentence for killing someone who snores? Is it like a fine or something?
You tie an air horn to their head, and have it rigged to a noise sensor, where it blares in their ear any time they make sounds above a certain decibel level. Or at least...that's what I want to do to my wife when she curls up behind me, and starts snoring right in my fucking ear.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You tie an air horn to their head, and have it rigged to a noise sensor, where it blares in their ear any time they make sounds above a certain decibel level. Or at least...that's what I want to do to my wife when she curls up behind me, and starts snoring right in my fucking ear.
My parents are a lesson in love and patience. Been married for +40 years; my dad is a night owl who snores loud enough to be heard throughout the house, and my mom is a very early riser who makes noise in the kitchen at 6am equivalent to what one might expect to hear in a busy restaurant in downtown Bangkok. I always suspected each habit was retribution for the actions of the other, yet somehow, they've managed to not to kill each other.

OT, not a habitual snorer, but put my neck at the right angle, and I can belt loud enough to wake myself (fortunately,) but on those occasions I find myself cozy enough to not wake myself, my girlfriend just reaches over and lovingly pets my face; if that doesn't stop me, she pinches my nose and I wake up panicked that I'm about to suffocate. I think she's glad I wake up when she does the latter, but would be perfectly find if she smothered me to death if it meant she got a decent night's rest.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I wonder if I've ever used a recycled product that contained something I originally recycled.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I love how you often hear people declare that "X person has no right to talk about this politics thingy, because they are just "an actor" or a "youtube celebrity" or whatever, so what do they know about it?"

Well, ok Mr. Chucklefuck Plumber McAsshole, where do YOU get off having a right to talk about politics? You're just a fucking plumber with at best a GED that you probably grudgingly got for certification purposes. Why should your opinion be any more valid than some other "non-professional politics" person?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
You know.... Jurassic Park is a horror movie. Thousands upon thousands of families went together to see a horror movie.
Well technically so is Jaws, and that's the movie that started the blockbuster phenomenon, so I guess we can credit the horror genre for bringing families together.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The song "50 ways to leave your lover" doesn't describe 50 ways. In fact, I'm willing to argue that it does not list more than one.
The song states on multiple occasions there "must be fifty ways to leave your lover," implying that "50 ways" is hyperbolic in that there are "many" ways to get oneself out of an unhappy relationship. Same as one who says "I've got a thousand things to do today," just means they've a full schedule, not that they have a literal 1,000 distinct tasks to complete in a 24 hour period.

Now, to the REAL issue: Paul Simon is speaking with a woman whom you'd assume is the love interest enticing him to leave his current lover, but in the chorus, she lists 5 different men's names for whom she has her "50 ways" advice, none of which are "Paul." :unsure:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I find it funny, in movies/tv, when they have a villain decide to pretend to be god, or at least convince people they are so, they have them start acting LIKE god. And these acts, making people worship him, sacrifice themselves and their loved ones/property to him, plan on ways to kill anyone who doesn't worship him, etc. Are all used, BY THEMSELVES, as evidence of him being evil, and a Bad Guy. When they are all shit that most current gods that people think are real, are documented as doing. And yet, none of their worshippers seem to see a discrepancy there. Funny that.