Six-Year-Old JRPG Beats Assassin's Creed Unity in Steam Charts

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Rozalia1 said:
Ticklefist said:
VC outsold AC for a sliver of time and gets an article. Divinity: Original Sin topped the charts for two months and nobody said a word.
VC went over a much higher tiered opponent. Its like Heath Slater beating Seth Rollins, of course people are going to love it. Even if the heel only lost due to distractions, and everybody knows is going to pummel VC in the rematch at the next show.
But Slater and Rollins never had a rematch! So Heath Slater is still 1-0 vs Seth Rollins as long as you don't include 3MB losses to The Shield.

On topic! Yay? I mean this is totally awesome and all, but this doesn't actually mean that VC beat AC in sales. It means it beat AC in sales on Steam when AC was actually pulled from Steam for a few days.

Though if this news means I'll be able to get a VC2 then go team VC!

Oh, maybe, just maybe, we'll see more games ported to the pc! I'd kill for some Persona and Disgaea on my computer.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Aerosteam said:
erttheking said:
Aerosteam said:
erttheking said:
Get deez animus outta ma World War.
I have to ask, would you prefer it if it went with a different art style? Also do you feel the same about Valiant Hearts?
The art style isn't a problem. I actually really like the art style. My issue is with the tone.
Ah, because of the way things look you expect the tone to be more light-hearted?

Well, as for myself I like how the aesthetic contrasts from the tone, not a lot of games do that.
No-no, it's the way the characters act. THAT is what is way too light of tone for a game that covers such a serious topic.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
erttheking said:
Aerosteam said:
erttheking said:
Aerosteam said:
erttheking said:
I have to ask, would you prefer it if it went with a different art style? Also do you feel the same about Valiant Hearts?
The art style isn't a problem. I actually really like the art style. My issue is with the tone.
Ah, because of the way things look you expect the tone to be more light-hearted?

Well, as for myself I like how the aesthetic contrasts from the tone, not a lot of games do that.
No-no, it's the way the characters act. THAT is what is way too light of tone for a game that covers such a serious topic.
I actually like it that way honestly. Games where there's a dark/serious tone and are filled with dark/serious topics are depressing as fuck. Either that or the game passes the depression event horizon and everythin is so bleak that nothin is bleak anymore. Having characters that can still have fun and be joyful makes the depressing bits even more impactful.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Aerosteam said:
Ticklefist said:
VC outsold AC for a sliver of time and gets an article. Divinity: Original Sin topped the charts for two months and nobody said a word.
There was almost nothing else that was released at the time when Divinity did.

Assassin's Creed is currently one of the biggest franchises in the industry and Valkyria Chronicles is a port of a six year old game.
I think the word "sliver" is being overlooked. I'm just not impressed that a game outsold another game for 2 hours then went right back down to not outselling it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
shintakie10 said:
erttheking said:
Aerosteam said:
erttheking said:
Aerosteam said:
erttheking said:

I actually like it that way honestly. Games where there's a dark/serious tone and are filled with dark/serious topics are depressing as fuck. Either that or the game passes the depression event horizon and everythin is so bleak that nothin is bleak anymore. Having characters that can still have fun and be joyful makes the depressing bits even more impactful.
I like moments like that too, but I feel like the game goes too far. Like the characters were created for a story where everything is supposed to be happy all the time...They feel like caricatures at time, with the main character relying way too much with his love of nature to serve as a personality. It creates a rather jarring tone when he talks about how much he loves nature while plowing a tank through enemy lines. And they don't just act like this off the battlefield, that I could've bought, but when they talk like that on the battlefield it just feels unreal. These people just seem kind of detached from what's going on around them, like they don't truly understand the gravity of the situation. To be honest I can think of a game or two where this doesn't bother me but...in a game that's intentionally drawing parallels to the most brutal war in human history it just feels kinda fucked up.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
shintakie10 said:
But Slater and Rollins never had a rematch! So Heath Slater is still 1-0 vs Seth Rollins as long as you don't include 3MB losses to The Shield.
Checked and you're right, I was sure Rollins got his win back on Main Event but it seems he didn't. Very odd as when an upset victory happens on Raw, it usually just means that person is getting beaten on Smackdown.
Looking at the record it seems Seth beat Ziggler on Smackdown while Slater Gator went over the Dust Brothers... what odd booking.

I was orginally going to use Brock instead of Seth, but I thought it overkill.

Uliana

Jan 6, 2012
erttheking said:
Such cutesy crap with a war that actually happened leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I didn't realize World War 2 had superpowered magical females whose powers date back through thousands of years, gigantic land battleships, and was fought over a do-it-all natural resource. Also, the WW2 that actually happened flared up in AD 1939 with the German invasion of Poland, while Valkyria Chronicles' conflict takes place in EC 1935 - the difference in dates and calendar system, not to mention the fact that the real world didn't have an Atlantic Federation or an Empire geographically based on the Soviet Union, or that the protagonist country is named Gallia should be an indicator that Valkyria Chronicles is not set in a war that actually happened.

Valkyria Chronicles is based off the 1930's and 1940's era in terms of aesthetic, but otherwise is pretty much like any other fantasy world setting. It just uses WW2 as a base, much like how bog-standard fantasy RPGs uses medieval Europe as its base. Valkyria Chronicles is not a WW2-game like Medal of Honor or Company of Heroes, it's a WW2-inspired fantasy game. Thus, it has every prerogative to have "cutesy" stuff as it wants.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Uliana said:
erttheking said:
Such cutesy crap with a war that actually happened leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I didn't realize World War 2 had superpowered magical females whose powers date back through thousands of years, gigantic land battleships, and was fought over a do-it-all natural resource. Also, the WW2 that actually happened flared up in AD 1938 with the German invasion of Poland, while Valkyria Chronicles' conflict takes place in EC 1935 - the difference in dates and calendar system, not to mention the fact that the real world didn't have an Atlantic Federation or an Empire geographically based on the Soviet Union, or that the protagonist country is named Gallia should be an indicator that Valkyria Chronicles is not set in a war that actually happened.

Valkyria Chronicles is based off the 1930's and 1940's era in terms of aesthetic, but otherwise is pretty much like any other fantasy world setting. It just uses WW2 as a base, much like how bog-standard fantasy RPGs uses medieval Europe as its base. Valkyria Chronicles is not a WW2-game like Medal of Honor or Company of Heroes, it's a WW2-inspired fantasy game. Thus, it has every prerogative to have "cutesy" stuff as it wants.
Let's not pretend that the game isn't massively copying the second world war. For all your arguments about how it differs from the actual war, when you include a massive expansionist empire that is spreading to the west and carrying out the extermination of a specific minority through concentration camps, there's a bit more than just inspiration going on. If your gonna copy serious stuff like that and dumb it down with cutesy fantasy stuff, why not just greenlight this?

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/disney__s_anne_frank_by_andrewdickman-d4mk4q0_6183.jpg

No. No it isn't. Fantasy worlds don't have maps that are blatant rip offs of Europe. I know that technically it's fantasy, but when you bring that much IRL baggage in, the fantasy defense is very flimsy. And when the fact that it's fantasy makes the characters forcing cutesy bullshit down my throat and taking a approach to racism I would expect from Sesame Street while in the middle of a god damn concentration camp any less painful, I'll let you know.

Sep 14, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
People buying this game because it runs at 60 fps and 1080p bloody hell...
...oh, it can? Sweet, can't wait to utilize my awesome monitor.

*goes and purchases steam key for game, starts download*

Good job advertising that, I'll have to check this game out inbetween my dragon age trilogy play.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
This is welcome news indeed, I would have bought it myself, but I still have my PS3 copy of the game, and I'm not letting go of it, ah what the hell, I might just buy it on Steam too, do my part to support it and all that

o_d

Mar 27, 2011
Isn't part of this due to Unity not being available on Steam in some territories?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
erttheking said:
GAunderrated said:
erttheking said:
I know I'm extremely in the minority here but...not a fan of Valkyria Chronicles. A friend and I play it on her system and it is way too cutesy. And I like a lot of cutesy JRPGs but this just goes a little too far. Then again that might have something to do with a lot of the cutesy JRPGs I like take place in fantasy settings, where as this one is based on a war that actually happened...I think that might be my problem. Such cutesy crap with a war that actually happened leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when they try and work in the holocaust. Also the combat can get really frustrating later on.

I'm rambling really, I don't hate the game, I just feel the need to explain why I don't like it, seeing as how I'm alone on that front.

Still if people like it, I'm glad they do.
It is funny you only see the game as "cutesy" because it is the only game I have ever seen maturely present the holocost and racism in a real way. The only one missing out by not playing a good game because of the asthetic is yourself.
Really? One of my main gripes with the game was that its approach to racism felt incredibly simplistic. Like I said I don't hate the game and my friend and I will most likely finish it when she gets back from college. I just don't think it's that great.
I now this will sound out of place but thank you for a respectful reply. It is a unicorn these days.

Back on topic:

I will agree with you that maybe the first 5 hours of the game's story feels very generic JRPG and the racism seems shallow, but in my opinion the story midway through takes a somewhat realistic and interesting approach in the way characters interact with each other. I am playing through the game again so if my opinion changes I will let you know to save you the time. :)

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Ugh deleted. I wasn't refreshing fast enough. Seriously, that's the one reason I tend to lurk so much in any kind of forum. All I can do is just absorb.

As for the topic, while cool, some other user pointed towards divine divinity topping the charts for 2 months straight. That sounds far more newsworthy to me.

Still, it's great to see such a game getting more sales than unity... Probably in america, because the steam list in europe shows unity is 2nd in the steam top sellers. And valkyria dropped off the front list. But being in 11th is still quite good for an older, albeit better, game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
...gamers rewarded quality over hype?
Gamers reward a cult hit over crippling DRM would be my guess.

A bigger question is, when AC continues undeterred and gets more support than the Valkyria franchise, do PC gamers still pretend they're the end-all in gaming?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
GAunderrated said:
erttheking said:
GAunderrated said:
erttheking said:
I know I'm extremely in the minority here but...not a fan of Valkyria Chronicles. A friend and I play it on her system and it is way too cutesy. And I like a lot of cutesy JRPGs but this just goes a little too far. Then again that might have something to do with a lot of the cutesy JRPGs I like take place in fantasy settings, where as this one is based on a war that actually happened...I think that might be my problem. Such cutesy crap with a war that actually happened leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when they try and work in the holocaust. Also the combat can get really frustrating later on.

I'm rambling really, I don't hate the game, I just feel the need to explain why I don't like it, seeing as how I'm alone on that front.

Still if people like it, I'm glad they do.
It is funny you only see the game as "cutesy" because it is the only game I have ever seen maturely present the holocost and racism in a real way. The only one missing out by not playing a good game because of the asthetic is yourself.
Really? One of my main gripes with the game was that its approach to racism felt incredibly simplistic. Like I said I don't hate the game and my friend and I will most likely finish it when she gets back from college. I just don't think it's that great.
I now this will sound out of place but thank you for a respectful reply. It is a unicorn these days.

Back on topic:

I will agree with you that maybe the first 5 hours of the game's story feels very generic JRPG and the racism seems shallow, but in my opinion the story midway through takes a somewhat realistic and interesting approach in the way characters interact with each other. I am playing through the game again so if my opinion changes I will let you know to save you the time. :)
I don't know. I feel like my friend and I got a lot further than five hours in. We're in that concentration camp getting help from the guy who only has one eye 90% of the time, then it opens for some reason. And honestly the moment where he seriously threw Rosie's racism into question by using the simplistic argument of "You like music and music is different, you wouldn't hate all music because you didn't like one would you?" made me want to groan at the top of my lungs. People's hatreds are not thrown into question that easily.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
Do you really think they wouldn't have bought it if it was 30 fps and 720p? They didn't have it orginally due to the lack of a PS3, not due to the game not having slightly better resolution and double the frame rate.
Are you kidding? People DO buy games for PC to run them better. I do that too. I got into Assassins Creed by playing them first on console. After I got a decent GPU I bought them for PC so I could run them even better. I recently started emulating all my PSP games so I can play them in sweet sweet 1080p(PSP really has nice graphics but the resolution of the display doesn't do them justice). I was also planning to buy FF13 trilogy when they all are released on steam but then I heard that the graphic options aren't great so they are on hold for now. I'll have to see if they patch it or if modders can do something about it. I also bought Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X HD remakes because I wanted to play them on higher resolution.

Is higher resolution/fps necessary? No. Does it enhance the experience when you play? Of course and thats why "HD remakes" or ports are something I'm interested in.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
well deserved sales

played 20 hours already, fantastic game, i was truthly missing out, tough i had no choice, i dont have a PS3

i really hope the sequels get ported too, i dont care for shittier graphics, as long as they improve the GUI resolution and keep up the good porting job, ill get em, particulary the 3rd game which people say its the best of the 2 sequels

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Elfgore said:
This seems like a pointless article, or at least one to try and show that Assassin's Creed is dying... using only one of five distribution methods for this game, not counting physical copies. I'm not even sure if UK Steam every go it back. While Valkyrie Chronicles may be really old, but for the past week it's been hyped as hell on Steam. I've seen it every time I go to the featured items. Add to that, console players hyping it for PC player and it makes sense.
and assasin's creed didnt have a multi million ad campaign? ok

also i saw VC on the featured items... once, thats it, the game is selling mostly due to word of mouth

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
SquallTheBlade said:
Are you kidding? People DO buy games for PC to run them better. I do that too. I got into Assassins Creed by playing them first on console. After I got a decent GPU I bought them for PC so I could run them even better. I recently started emulating all my PSP games so I can play them in sweet sweet 1080p(PSP really has nice graphics but the resolution of the display doesn't do them justice). I was also planning to buy FF13 trilogy when they all are released on steam but then I heard that the graphic options aren't great so they are on hold for now. I'll have to see if they patch it or if modders can do something about it. I also bought Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X HD remakes because I wanted to play them on higher resolution.

Is higher resolution/fps necessary? No. Does it enhance the experience when you play? Of course and thats why "HD remakes" or ports are something I'm interested in.
May I ask how you're legally emulating the PSP? Don't misunderstand now, just checking that people are being responsible.

As for the rest... what trifles people let affect their life. Oh I really want to play X game, its so awesome, been waiting ages...wait 720? Screw that than, games garbage.

NuclearKangaroo said:
played 20 hours already, fantastic game, i was truthly missing out, tough i had no choice, i dont have a PS3
You know I have been meaning to ask...you're into JRPGs...yet are PC only...? Now in regards to old games I know the obvious implication and whatever I've talked about it enough, I'll not bring it up if you don't.
But in regards to what is actually legally available...the amount is tiny. Why would you inflict that on yourself?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
You know I have been meaning to ask...you're into JRPGs...yet are PC only...? Now in regards to old games I know the obvious implication and whatever I've talked about it enough, I'll not bring it up if you don't.
But in regards to what is actually legally available...the amount is tiny. Why would you inflict that on yourself?
im not really into JRPGs or RPGs of any kind, not a big fan of the genre

STRATEGY GAMES on the other hand, i love em, and VC is a fantastic one, tough it definitively has its flaws

now that the game turned out to be a success, i cant wait until more japanese devs take note and port their SRPGs to PC

as for why i play on PC, initially it was a matter of budget, PC is simly much cheaper over here than any console, if you want to own legitimate copies of games (i cant begin to tell you how amazing steam has been for me)

that being said the last couple of years the platform has gotten so awesome, i have next to 0 interest on consoles anymore