Six-Year-Old JRPG Beats Assassin's Creed Unity in Steam Charts

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
This presents an obvious course of action vis a vis the sequels. Make it happen, Sega.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
7)Hey Ubi! You want to know why people are buying this game? Because they can run it at 60 fps and 1080p!
Yes, I regularly buy games just to turn the graphics options up. Money well spent.

As to why it's actually selling well, it became something of a cult favourite since release. Not many people bought it at first, but those that did spent the last six years going on about what an unappreciated gem it is. Then it gets a steam release and a lot of people who listened to the chatter were inclined to say "hey, I remember hearing about that Valkyria Chronicles thing but I never had a PS3/wasn't interested when it came out originally, maybe I'll check it out".

I think pretty much the same thing happened when Sony put out the HD versions of Ico and Shadow of The Colossus.

erttheking said:
I know I'm extremely in the minority here but...not a fan of Valkyria Chronicles. A friend and I play it on her system and it is way too cutesy.
That's a definite flaw with the game. I got used to it pretty quickly (possibly because it's a very "anime" style of storytelling and I watch a lot of that) but I wouldn't disagree with anyone who hated the writing.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Grace_Omega said:
This presents an obvious course of action vis a vis the sequels. Make it happen, Sega.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
7)Hey Ubi! You want to know why people are buying this game? Because they can run it at 60 fps and 1080p!
Yes, I regularly buy games just to turn the graphics options up. Money well spent.
I can't tell if that's sarcastic or not, but I imagine that a lot of people went for this game because it's a good port as well. Good port meaning that it can run 60fps at 1080p with a reasonable setup.

I'm looking for any reason to call out Ubi more since their disgraceful Unity launch and unacceptable porting in general.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
iniudan said:
Dreiko said:
This is like Xcom but better and more anime-like, with a very touching and badass story rather than generic "alien plot 23" style storyline. It's a pity it wasn't more praised all this time, honestly.

Hopefully, they'll bring over the third VC game or even better make a fourth one for ps4.

Also, if you guys like fighting games, Selvaria and Alicia are in a fighting game! It's called Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax. Here:

WTF with the Thumbnail. I know Selvaria is well endowed, but that just ridiculous.

That's her official char portrait.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
erttheking said:
I know I'm extremely in the minority here but...not a fan of Valkyria Chronicles. A friend and I play it on her system and it is way too cutesy. And I like a lot of cutesy JRPGs but this just goes a little too far. Then again that might have something to do with a lot of the cutesy JRPGs I like take place in fantasy settings, where as this one is based on a war that actually happened...I think that might be my problem. Such cutesy crap with a war that actually happened leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when they try and work in the holocaust. Also the combat can get really frustrating later on.

I'm rambling really, I don't hate the game, I just feel the need to explain why I don't like it, seeing as how I'm alone on that front.

Still if people like it, I'm glad they do.
Avoid the anime, it's even worse. Though I think they have books/mangas somewhere. Maybe try those? Dunno but if you can withstand the anime style and characters it's not bad. I don't know how far you got but it picks up(and drops down at times).

Glad to see this game did better, that's kinda funny.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
GAunderrated said:
erttheking said:
I know I'm extremely in the minority here but...not a fan of Valkyria Chronicles. A friend and I play it on her system and it is way too cutesy. And I like a lot of cutesy JRPGs but this just goes a little too far. Then again that might have something to do with a lot of the cutesy JRPGs I like take place in fantasy settings, where as this one is based on a war that actually happened...I think that might be my problem. Such cutesy crap with a war that actually happened leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when they try and work in the holocaust. Also the combat can get really frustrating later on.

I'm rambling really, I don't hate the game, I just feel the need to explain why I don't like it, seeing as how I'm alone on that front.

Still if people like it, I'm glad they do.
It is funny you only see the game as "cutesy" because it is the only game I have ever seen maturely present the holocost and racism in a real way. The only one missing out by not playing a good game because of the asthetic is yourself.
Really? One of my main gripes with the game was that its approach to racism felt incredibly simplistic. Like I said I don't hate the game and my friend and I will most likely finish it when she gets back from college. I just don't think it's that great.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Aiddon said:
jdogtwodolla said:
Was this game really an RPG? I thought it was like a more direct XCOM sort of deal.
XCom is probably a better comparison, but it's more intimate due to being able to control units directly and go for more unorthodox strategies. The RPG progression is also more overt as classes level up instead of characters.
It's story is also more like a standard RPG than something like X-Com, with a lot of named/voiced characters who have important things to do in the plot and what not. As well the fact that "more story" is frequently used as a reward in the game.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
See, Sega, people do still like your games and buy them if they are good. Also, see that people outside of Japan will still buy your games.

So, that concluded, how are those non-Japanese versions or Phantasy Star Online 2 and Phantasy Star Nova coming along?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
You can't sell PC games on hype alone (Unless you're Blizzard). Also, people are really fed up with Uplay, and Ubisoft's general attitude for PC gaming.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
jdogtwodolla said:
Was this game really an RPG? I thought it was like a more direct XCOM sort of deal.
Yea, it really irks me when someone calls games like Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronciles Jrpgs just because of the art style. I absolutely HATE games like Final Fantasy and other Jrpgs, but for some reason people associate these strategy games are JRPGs-- WHY!? Valkyria Chronicles is a turn-based strategy game that plays *nothing* like Jrpgs. I mean, explain to me where the ?role playing? is. During the game I?m looking at a map 60 percent of the time, planning out my next move, and the other 40 percent I?m running around blowing up tanks or shooting soldiers in the face.

Or are VC and FE called JRPGs because they have extensive cut scenes that can drag on forever? If that?s the case shouldn?t games like Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin also be considered a JRPG, considering the characters never shut up in that game, either. The genre of the game should be judged on the gameplay, not art style--or is that just what qualifies a JRPG? Then in that case the earlier Advance Wars games should be considered JRPGs, because the those characters couldn?t get anymore anime even if they wanted to.

Aiddon said:
XCom is probably a better comparison, but it's more intimate due to being able to control units directly and go for more unorthodox strategies. The RPG progression is also more overt as classes level up instead of characters.
That was a really stupid design choice which was changed for VC 2 and 3 (thank goodness).

EDIT:
Dreiko said:
Hopefully, they'll bring over the third VC game or even better make a fourth one for ps4.
Oh man, I was totally frustrated when they didn?t localize and release the E2 version in the USA. I was waiting so long for a localization and when I heard a new version of VC3 was coming out I was so stoked because I thought for sure they were going to localize it, but NO! >_< I just imported it from there. That was definitely a good thing about the PSP and PS3; they were not region-locked, so I could still import the game any play it. A few online guides on the internet explaining the changes to the gameplay and I was set. VC3 really is the best so far, too. Kind of frustrating how I can?t play it in English...

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
Dreiko said:
iniudan said:
Dreiko said:
This is like Xcom but better and more anime-like, with a very touching and badass story rather than generic "alien plot 23" style storyline. It's a pity it wasn't more praised all this time, honestly.

Also, if you guys like fighting games, Selvaria and Alicia are in a fighting game! It's called Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax. Here:

WTF with the Thumbnail. I know Selvaria is well endowed, but that just ridiculous.

That's her official char portrait.

PHUHU-AHAHAHAHAHAH!!! That thumbnail! It's like she's smuggling watermelons!!!

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
The Valkyria Chronicles I really want to get is 3 though, since apparently it takes the weird "Conforming is good" morality story of 1 and takes it out in front of the firing squad.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
That is a lot of people who passed the game up when it was apparently their thing... oh well at least more people got to play it.

So can we expect Ubisoft to bury PC next week on the mic? And for all the people who can't distinguish a storyline from real life to than give them real heat?

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
6)Perhaps more Japanese devs will consider the PC as a viable platform, though I'm not sure if it's enough to overcome the broader perception of the platform in Japan. Nonetheless, I hold out hope that we will see more ports
8)We might also get more niche games coming our way! :D

In closing, vive le PC!
People buying this game because it runs at 60 fps and 1080p bloody hell...

Do you really think they wouldn't have bought it if it was 30 fps and 720p? They didn't have it orginally due to the lack of a PS3, not due to the game not having slightly better resolution and double the frame rate.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Can it go above 60fps or not?
120hz monitor user would like to know, thanks!

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
VC outsold AC for a sliver of time and gets an article. Divinity: Original Sin topped the charts for two months and nobody said a word.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
That is a lot of people who passed the game up when it was apparently their thing... oh well at least more people got to play it.

So can we expect Ubisoft to bury PC next week on the mic? And for all the people who can't distinguish a storyline from real life to than give them real heat?

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
6)Perhaps more Japanese devs will consider the PC as a viable platform, though I'm not sure if it's enough to overcome the broader perception of the platform in Japan. Nonetheless, I hold out hope that we will see more ports
8)We might also get more niche games coming our way! :D

In closing, vive le PC!
People buying this game because it runs at 60 fps and 1080p bloody hell...

Do you really think they wouldn't have bought it if it was 30 fps and 720p? They didn't have it originally due to the lack of a PS3, not due to the game not having slightly better resolution and double the frame rate.
Funny how the person below your post asked about the frame-rate of the game >.>

Dark Souls is a masterpiece, but I can totally understand that people refuse to buy/play it cause of the lock to 30fps and the generally crappy porting of the game.

It matters. I could just play KoTOR II as is, but I've got this lovely monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio, just begging to be used.

So I fuck about with the game for hours on end trying to get it to run in 1080p.

If I am honest, I wouldn't consider buying VC as much if it didn't allow for 60 fps/1080p. Whilst I may have exaggerated the importance thereof in my original post to poke more at Ubisoft, it's still a factor.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Dreiko said:

Making it the second time Selvaria has been rendered in Sprite animation:

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Ticklefist said:
VC outsold AC for a sliver of time and gets an article. Divinity: Original Sin topped the charts for two months and nobody said a word.
VC went over a much higher tiered opponent. Its like Heath Slater beating Seth Rollins, of course people are going to love it. Even if the heel only lost due to distractions, and everybody knows is going to pummel VC in the rematch at the next show.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:

Dark Souls is a masterpiece, but I can totally understand that people refuse to buy/play it cause of the lock to 30fps and the generally crappy porting of the game.

It matters. I could just play KoTOR II as is, but I've got this lovely monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio, just begging to be used.

So I fuck about with the game for hours on end trying to get it to run in 1080p.

If I am honest, I wouldn't consider buying VC as much if it didn't allow for 60 fps/1080p. Whilst I may have exaggerated the importance thereof in my original post to poke more at Ubisoft, it's still a factor.
Negligible factor, likely effecting people in the single digits.
If you pass up on a game that you've been waiting over half a decade to play because of frames/resolution especially on a platform where that can be remedied...than well those folk need to fix some of their priorities in my opinion.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Ubisoft is having a really rough year in terms of keeping mud off their face and not looking like a bunch of assholes. This kind of news certainly isn't helping them. Maybe they'll learn a lesson and do better in 2015.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
Ticklefist said:
VC went over a much higher tiered opponent. Its like Heath Slater beating Seth Rollins, of course people are going to love it. Even if the heel only lost due to distractions, and everybody knows is going to pummel VC in the rematch at the next show.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:

Negligible factor, likely effecting people in the single digits.
If you pass up on a game that you've been waiting over half a decade to play because of frames/resolution especially on a platform where that can be remedied...than well those folk need to fix some of their priorities in my opinion.
Fair enough.

Like I said, I wanted to further stab at Ubisoft, they deserve all the shit they get.