Six-Year-Old Upset By Lack of Female Friendly Avengers Toys

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
So a toy is only female friendly if it's of a female? What's wrong with the male toys?

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Oh, would you just look at that. Isn't that just the gosh-darned cutest thing whenever an adult teaches their children to regurgitate a political agenda on command, and then posts a video of it on the internet?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kamille Bidan said:
RJ 17 said:
To be fair, I do get where you're coming from, but my comparison was really on a general level. Vegeta was a bad guy that turns good, just like Hawkeye. Granted, Hawkeye was a good guy before he became a bad guy that became a good guy again, still, that's what my comparison was based on.

Beyond that, Hawkeye was far more useful than Tien and/or Yamacha could ever hope to be. :p
Let's be honest. Pretty much every DBZ character that wasn't Goku or Gohan (and even Goku, technically. See the head-injury incident) is someone who was bad and then turned good.
In the words of Piccolo from DBZ Kai Abridged: "Nobody watched Dragon Ball." :p

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Wait, Black Widow was in the Avengers?
I was too busy focusing on Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk and Nick Fury to notice.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Charli said:
Saltyk said:
I remember growing up, I would avoid the girl's toy section at all costs. All that pink couldn't be healthy for a boy, right?
I avoided that section too...and it was supposed to be FOR me. Honestly it IS kinda sad. I used to collect power rangers, transformers and have them ride my little ponies. I was all inclusive baby.

Some variance of colour wouldn't go amiss, and the idea that 'girls are attracted to pink or pastel' is only as ingrained as society believes that 'that's the way it is'.

Girls are attracted to all sorts of colours, it's just that pink has been delegated to girls and boys are made to feel as though they must avoid it (for some *cough* asinine reason)...

Waste of a good colour. And honestly I'm not it's biggest fan either but... still.
Ah, yes. I still HATE pink, because as a little girl I was told that I like it.
When I told people that I like blue, I was told 'No you don't'.

Because the kindergarten teachers knew apparently better what I liked than I did.
Luckily my mom let me have blue clothes.

I always got Barbies and toys like that as birthday -presents, even after I told people I didn't want them.
I specifically asked for 'monster-toys' when I was 7, and I got this super-cute dinosaur-thing from my friend.
And this comment from her father :"My daughter told me you wanted monster-toys, but I didn't believe her. She insisted, and eventually we found this dinosaur that suitable for a girl."

At that moment I realized gender-roles were shit.

Hosker said:
So a toy is only female friendly if it's of a female? What's wrong with the male toys?
What's wrong with female toys? Why can't boys play with female characters?
The issue is not that a girl can't play with a male superhero-toy, it's that female superheroes are underrepresented.

As a little girl I played with both male and female toys, but my most badass characters (A tyrannosaurus and a dragon that were only women because I decided so)were female, because I guess I identified with them the most.
Also since there were less cool female characters, I suppose I had to make up for it by creating my own.

Also I decided Leonardo from Teenage mutant ninja turtles was a girl.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I actually agree in part with the kid, for one reason: see my avatar? It's of Quorra, from Tron Legacy, as portrayed by Olivia Wilde. Now during the release of Tron Legacy, they made a bunch of figures of the characters, her included. Unfortunately, there is only one figure in the entire line that portrays her, and it commits a rather grievous crime: it does not portray her face. The figure is only available with a helmeted head, and because of that people have had to kit-bash figures to give her a proper face, with various degrees of success.

Why doe that piss me off? Well, anyone that has seen Tron Legacy knows that Quorra is considered one of the lead characters. The other leads got Helmeted and helmetless sculpts, while she is the only lead character produced without a proper face sculpt, even though she spends the majority of the film helmetless. Why? probably because marketing.

BarelyAudible

Mar 1, 2013
an annoyed writer said:
I actually agree in part with the kid, for one reason: see my avatar? It's of Quorra, from Tron Legacy, as portrayed by Olivia Wilde. Now during the release of Tron Legacy, they made a bunch of figures of the characters, her included. Unfortunately, there is only one figure in the entire line that portrays her, and it commits a rather grievous crime: it does not portray her face. The figure is only available with a helmeted head, and because of that people have had to kit-bash figures to give her a proper face, with various degrees of success.

Why doe that piss me off? Well, anyone that has seen Tron Legacy knows that Quorra is considered one of the lead characters. The other leads got Helmeted and helmetless sculpts, while she is the only lead character produced without a proper face sculpt, even though she spends the majority of the film helmetless. Why? probably because marketing.
To be fair: Maybe they didn't get the actress' approval for the face sculpt, or they didn't want to deal with the approval process. Christian Bale's "John Connor" figure is covered up with goggles and a face mask.

Still bull though.

Action figures are the toys that let kids play with their favorite characters, and it sucks that girls (and some of the characters they like) get shafted.

There is a Black Widow toys, but its in short supply.

Batman and Bane get dozens of cheaper figures, but Catwoman is limited to the adult collections, pricing her out of what parents would pay for a little kid.

Female Yellow/Blue Rangers are hard to find, and Pink is even rarer.

And yes, I'm still sore Sari Sumdac never got a figure.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Aww, that's sad, the parents don't let their kids browse amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Select-Exclusive-Action-Figure/dp/B005OZOF52

That's the first action figure I found with a very basic google search.

Now, what wouldn't be fair would be to force stores with limited shelf space to carry a product that is less popular than any of the other products that could fit in that space. Capitalism, yo.

Regarding the pink ranger comment, amazon to the rescue! http://www.amazon.com/Power-Ranger-Samurai-Action-Figure/dp/B004H0MBPQ

This whole thread could have stopped at: "Six-year-old upset"

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Aside from the toy issues, as characters one of the main things I like about Hawkeye and Black Window is their ability to reasonably hold their own despite more or less being regular people. They just have to compensate for the lack of powers with a lot of skill and teamwork.

BarelyAudible

Mar 1, 2013
Lightknight said:

Now, what wouldn't be fair would be to force stores with limited shelf space to carry a product that is less popular than any of the other products that could fit in that space. Capitalism, yo.

Regarding the pink ranger comment, amazon to the rescue! http://www.amazon.com/Power-Ranger-Samurai-Action-Figure/dp/B004H0MBPQ

Thank for proving my point twice over. Did you look at the prices? Its bad enough that women are in short supply on the shelves, but you have to deal with the secondary market and their mark-ups!

Capta: comfort zone

Maybe if marketers got out of their comfort zone, we wouldn't have to deal with that.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
You know we all saw it coming, but u don't think anybody expected it to be a 6 year old who said it. I was expecting that Anita what's her name to be the one addressing it. Which is could because now I might actually care. I demand more black widow toys !

BarelyAudible

Mar 1, 2013
CriticKitten said:
There is already an Avengers toy line. There is already a Black Widow action figure. This girl and her parents are complaining that a toy doesn't exist even though it clearly does. That shows that they are not even customers of the toy line to begin with.

So their opinions hold no weight whatsoever.

This would be like a non-gamer complaining about a lack of games that feature alchemy and cute girls, or sumi-e wolves.
I hate that whole "I fixed that for you" bit, but...I fixed that for you.

Yes there is a Black Widow figure in the Avengers movie line, but you have to jump through some crazy hoops to get it. And yes, $20 for a normally $9.99 action figure IS a crazy hoop for a six year old.

That's if you know that's available. It would be hard to miss, because she doesn't get the same exposure as Tony, Cap, and Thor.

And that's where you analogy falls apart. Shooty-shooty bang-bang games are heavily advertised and take up huge chunk of shelf space no matter where you ok. You'd find out about 'em, no matter how new to the hobby you are.

I guess this is all moot. This isn't about us, so it doesn't matter. Not like "Why are there so few copies of Fire Emblem" or "Why didn't more people buy Psychonauts or Okami". And she's a six year old girl, so she doesn't matter on two counts.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
BarelyAudible said:
Lightknight said:

Thank for proving my point twice over. Did you look at the prices? Its bad enough that women are in short supply on the shelves, but you have to deal with the secondary market and their mark-ups!

Capta: comfort zone

Maybe if marketers got out of their comfort zone, we wouldn't have to deal with that.
Dude, she's the cheapest one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=%22marvel+select+exclusive%22+action+figure&rh=n%3A165793011%2Ck%3A%22marvel+select+exclusive%22+action+figure

She's also only $14 new from third party markets and $21 from Amazon (with prime membership). All the other ones are over $30 even new from third party vendors and much higher with a prime membership from Amazon. You're not making a case here. You're showing how little the demand is and how easy to obtain (aka, less expensive) the female characters are.

Captain America is the best example on that list as he's from the same line as black widow. $35 (40% more expensive than black widow) new from third party vendors, $41.2 (50% more expensive than Black widow) from Amazon with a prime membership.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I AGREE WITH THIS LITTLE GIRL!!

I too would relish the opportunity to play with Scarlett Johansson.

BarelyAudible

Mar 1, 2013
Guess I'm getting frustrated because this reminds me of the "You got Samus and Lara! Isn't that good enough!" blarg.

Mink68

Jul 13, 2013
Regardless of whether this is coerced or not the stat's bare out what Riley is saying and the truth is that the message - women are not as highly valued - begins right from the very early age that these hero's are coveted. The parents are teaching her well and i think awareness cannot begin too young, what scares the wimps who do not agree is their supremacy is limited. Go Riley - I think you are the hope for the future, your parents are doing a great job you are already smarter than most the idiots who have responded and feel threatened!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
BarelyAudible said:
Guess I'm getting frustrated because this reminds me of the "You got Samus and Lara! Isn't that good enough!" blarg.
Oh, I can certainly understand a girl's frustration over there not being enough good female superheros. That is entirely a valid complaint. I'll say that the demand isn't currently there, but the demand also isn't there because of a lack of good female characters. Same as in video games. A vicious self eating snake.

Please understand, my correcting the little girl was merely regarding a specific point. Not dismissing other, greater issues.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Mink68 said:
The parents are teaching her well ... parents are doing a great job
I disagree, what they should be teaching her is research. Because what the internet doesn't need is more people who don't bother to fact check.