Skryim is outdated

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I'm still getting it and I still can't wait for the game, even if what you say is true.

That said, it's a hugely anticipated game, so they're going to overhype everything about it. From the minor improvements, to the majorly drastic changes, to the things that haven't even been tweaked just a little bit.

Like I said though, still gonna get it, still gonna log insane amounts of time into it.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Damnit, the same wierd running animation and that strange, "Juuuuuuust leeeeeet meeeeeee tuuuuuuurn tooooooo faaaaaace yoooooooou toooooo taaaaaaalk" thing? Well, at least I heard the combat is improved. I can disregard the awkward conversations and retarded running animation as long as the combat is improved.

Kyle1527

Jun 3, 2010
bussinroundz said:
Kyle1527 said:
bussinroundz said:
Oblivion 2.0 Why should anybody be surprised ? Unless you like listen to Todd Howard bullshit you, for some reason.
Probably the funniest thing I've ever read. So what type of troll are you?
Just someone who isn't as gullible as all these fangirls, that's all.
I respect that, but at least give the game a go and see if you like it.

sharkinz

Apr 26, 2010
Duffeknol said:
sharkinz said:
Since when does a game have to be revolutionary in every way to qualify as a good game. Why can't the game being fun (which is, you know, the whole point of video games) be a good enough reason to play the game.
Since never, since I never said that. Next time read before you post.
It is entirely possible I misunderstood your post then, but it seemed to me that the main thing you dislike about the game is that it hasn't improved since oblivion. Which is a perfectly reasonable complaint, but if you hold that against Skyrim then you have to hold it against every COD game since COD 4 and every other modern shooter out there and most fighting games.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
bussinroundz said:
massive snip
Now this is a troll post. :D

I mean, just... wow.

The quotation marks are throwing me, though. Are these your petty thoughts or someone else's? /:|

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
All games are usually outdated in one aspect or another. When AI or animations can be done better you can say the techniques in said game outdo another.

Nothing surprising about this even with all this hype that has made it to my eyes and ears. In fact, I'm half expecting this to be a letdown in some way with all this said hype so it'll sell. Not that I WANT TO see it fail... I don't think it deserves that. With MW3 on the other hand...

AppleShrapnel said:
And Euphoria... I know it was in GTA4 (and maybe Force Unleashed?), and it was fairly awesome. There was certainly more weight to things, but that didn't stop floating altogether... to me, anyway.
I wonder if Euphoria made any attempt with multi-legged creatures yet... that would of been awesome seeing the dragons having simulated animations on them.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
King of the Sandbox said:
ITT: People expecting the video game messiah, then being dissapoint when it's just a video game.
Except for the fact that Skyrim totes is the videogame messiah, I just love the mechanics of TES games, as well as gameplay, the whole game just seems pristine to me. I would cal it perfect because it's exactly what I'm looking for. That's just my opinion but for me... Well, this game's gonna rock my socks.

Gothtasical

Apr 15, 2009
understandable... yea they probably wouldn't change to much to it i mean why change to much when you keep making money off of it, on the other side of that i heard they worked with the a.i. a lot better and im sorry but because they stand still will never make a game bad. and it's better then many other games out there. yea we could have gotten more but i mean everyone is going to by it who wants to and there going to play it and i doubt to many people will complain why? because it's more of what they want and now it's even prettier.

oh and trolls- keep in mind if you had to make a game (where people are expecting it to be prettier) do you know how long that takes? im more impressed they even looked at the conversations with npc's when having to deal with the massive map. and it's not like you can do to much better so if your going to complain then either don't play it or make something better.

IlikeLolis

Jan 21, 2010
Only goes to show that they will ignore you again for The Next Elder Scrolls.

They are Elderly Scrolls, they can't hear too well and the Finer Details Evade them.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Duffeknol said:
Played it yesterday for a few hours since a buddy of mine got it (legally) early on PS3.
Yes, it looks nice, but why does everything else feel the same? The same weightless physics, the same horrible character animations (not yourself, 3rd person looks fine, it's the NPCs that are still shit), the same awkward standstill conversations (though now not as zoomed in, and sometimes they even move their hands), the same absolutely idiotic AI...

Now, I had some fun with Oblivion, it's a good game, especially for its time, but why is the ONLY damn thing they've improved over the years the graphics? They've had so much time, yet most of the stuff we get is directly ported over from Oblivion. Worst was when two characters were standing in front of each other, completely motionless (save for their faces), shouting at the top of their lungs something like 'OH MY GOD A DRAGON WTF WTF WTF'. I mean, shit. Another thing was when a character runs for his life (again, with the exact same character animations of people running in Oblivion), then when he's reached his waypoint he turns around to meet you super damn slowly like everything is alright.

It's like they took all the (valid) criticism they got with Oblivion (a good game, but by far not perfect) and just decided to disregard EVERYTHING.

Oh well, it'll still be a nice walk-in-the-mountains simulator.

EDIT: before I get even more fire. It's not that I don't enjoy this game. I love walking in the mountains. It's just that it could've been better and they could've done something with the critique they got last time.

EDIT #2: Naturally, everyone assumes I am 'trolling'. Problem is, I really have played the game. How? It was released here yesterday. http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=skyrim+netherlands&meta=
You expect too much. Don't you realise that creating something like this is SUPER HARD?

Assassin's Creed took 300 people 3 years. That is knocking on the door of 1000 man-years. Then critics whined about the auto-jump parkour.

Doubling the size of a development team does not halve the time taken to produce a game. Fred Brooks would agree with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

Even if you tripled the team size in order to do in 3 years what would have taken an uncommercial 6, you are looking at triple the costs which will force the price you pay from £40 to £100 - as Microsoft / Sony take £10 of that away. Maybe something could be worked out with the use of Episodic content, with the developer being funded to create six quests at a time as DLC extensions to a thread-bare "world". Yet, everyone says they hate DLC, about the only place this works is with World of Warcraft. Do you want gaming to go to a subscription model so you are paying for it even when you are not playing it? Surely, that is worse than putting endless quarters into a Gauntlet machine at the Arcade to be able to give your dungeon explorers extra Health?

Ok. Put that entire argument on one side... Name one RPG that does what you think Skyrim ought to have easily managed given the state of the art. Did you say: Mass Effect? Isn't that the game that is a Jack of all trades, but a master of none? In fact, the only quasi-RPG that I can think of that has reasonable physics, character animation and NPC AI is GTA IV and I think Rockstar ruined that with the restrictive storyline.

Can we expect RPG games to attain your high standards on the next batch of consoles? Probably not. At least with the launch titles. The snag is the cost will force publishers to dictate studios to produce streamlined cinematic experiences with ever decreasing interactivity. Uncharted 3 is an early herald of this future, thankfully learning from the excesses of MGS4, yet remaining something with little to no depth or replay value. Having an enormous map that your character can freely explore requires a whole lot of expensive to develop content be stuffed into it on the off-chance you will visit it. Skyrim is already smaller than Oblivion for this very reason, as Oblivion was smaller than Morrowind. It remains to be seen whether GTA V will regain the scale of San Andreas - if it does it will have to be a mandatory install to avoid disc-swapping as you fly over L.A. Personally, I think we should be thankful that we live at a time when gaming can provide such riches and appreciate the overworked and often underpaid developers who are often fired after meeting the deadline with a relationship undermining 'crunch'.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Duffeknol said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
The game has literally hundreds of hours of gameplay, and you're here describing a day's worth of play at most.

Yeah.

Sorry but I just can't wholeheartedly take your judgement as full and fair here. Especially not with a game that's supposed to be as massive in size as Skyrim.

That'd be like me bashing GTA4 after playing just the first 6 missions.
Oh my good lord does no one READ on these forums!?

I'm addressing stuff that is part of the game's core. The animations, AI, physics, stuff like that. Stuff that's the same in the introduction as it will be in the end-game. I think those could've been done better.

Of course fucking of course the game is massive, that's why I didn't even comment on missions, world, storyline or anything like that whatsoever, because that would've been bullshit indeed.
Dude, just forget about this thread, there are some cool people that understand the situation (you did enjoyed the game, just wished that some details that are now standard stuff in other games were better implemented into the game, this is what you are trying to say, right?) but there are others that either call you a troll or say that you are bashing the game and telling them that it sucks.

I guess the more distant a person is from the subject the easier it is to understand it lol.

giggetygooo

Dec 1, 2010
WOW Im psychic..seriously i gotta start advertising my services, cos this is what i saw in my vision. I have to wait 3 months now so I can get this game for $3 and download all the mods that try to polish this smelly turd.

Slashing101

Oct 20, 2011
Random man who has apparently gotten a game 3 days before release why wouldn't I believe and take in every word you say. OH thank you for convincing me to not purchase my most anticipated game of 2011. you have shown me the error of my ways

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
You have to realize that half of the people pining for this game don't give two fucks about the animations, me included. If it made any advancement at all, I'm set.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I had a feeling this thread would pop up eventually but screw it! I'm still buying Skyrim because although Oblivion had many flaws I still loved it even to this day