Skullgirls Dev Dismisses Cries of Sexism

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Because we all know that a single animator is responsible for all decisions regarding character design. Pay no attention to that committee with focus-testing data behind the curtain!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
viranimus said:
It seems more like parody to me. Which really that was the intention was it not?

Honestly I really get tired of people stabbing each other in the back so they can claim "I am the most tolerant! I am the most politically correct"

Seriously, even if this game is pure fan service for those who enjoy fapping to imaginary animated chars, what exactly is wrong with that? I mean do we not at this time of year also get drowned in a tidal wave of Harp and Harpsichord type chiq flicks that boast some no name lunk of a guy with a body of a statue and the face as goofy blank and vapid as they come?

No? So how is it the new twilight film is pushing a quarter billion in box office? Yeah, let the puerile man boys have their guilty pleasures for crying out loud.
Yeah, you basically won this thread with these points.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
conflictofinterests said:
From what I saw of the trailer, yeah they were sexy, but they weren't being sexual. Their moves aren't sexualized. Their titties don't jiggle like the one's in that one volley ball game. It just seems like the attractiveness of the women is an aesthetic choice. (How many people here like looking at drawings of or drawing ugly women? What about even AVERAGE women?) If it's sexist to make a game in the anime aesthetic, to animate characters which look good according to your judgement, then I, personally, am a huge, unadulterated, no holds barred, motherfucking sexist.
Agreed. I can see being offended by the DOA series, it is actively sexualizing women and includes little mini games. This is just a quirky little fighter with an anime aesthetic. To clarify, outside of their initial design, they never emphasize sexualization in the game.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
viranimus said:
It seems more like parody to me. Which really that was the intention was it not?
That was quite clear to me when I heard the disembodied cat-girl head go "Om nom nom nom nom."

So yeah, no need to whine about this little game. It looks pretty fun, but I suck donkeyballs at combo fighters, so it's a no for me anyway.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Make a game with male protagonists, get flak for not having strong females.

Make a game with strong female protagonists, get flak for them being too sexy.

Make a game with ugly female protagonists, don't sell any copies of your game.

The internet criticism grind is pretty much a losing proposition, regardless of what anyone does.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I think he's going about the argument in the wrong way, but its an argument he shouldnt have to make.

People like to talk about sexism in anime style games, but then you get games like Saints Row the third that let you make women who are pretty much all T&A and insult the idea of a woman not having to live up to those proportions and yet no one says anything.

Besides, after seeing a few trailers for this, the first thing that came into my mind was The world ends with you (I think its the art style) and that this is a nice quirky little fighter I would enjoy to own and not for the sexualness of it.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Somehow I think that he doesn't necessarily place weight on that argument, but rather he uses it because in spite of its inherent stupidity, it is still smarter than the "sexism" argument here. No need to form an insightful, intellegent argument against people who'd be stumped by far less.

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
MY reaction when seeing this game for the first time:

OT: Eh, I don't really care who animated the characters, the games look awesome, and as mentioned above, the game is so OUT THERE I don't notice the female characters...uh.."assets", that much.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
viranimus said:

Honestly I really get tired of people stabbing each other in the back so they can claim "I am the most tolerant! I am the most politically correct"

Seriously, even if this game is pure fan service for those who enjoy fapping to imaginary animated chars, what exactly is wrong with that? I mean do we not at this time of year also get drowned in a tidal wave of Harp and Harpsichord type chiq flicks that boast some no name lunk of a guy with a body of a statue and the face as goofy blank and vapid as they come?

No? So how is it the new twilight film is pushing a quarter billion in box office? Yeah, let the puerile man boys have their guilty pleasures for crying out loud.
A-fucking-men!

I was under the impression that it was a parody too, so this up roar is completely lost on me. So much for tongue in cheek...

I really don't see what the issue is, I've seen previews of it and the only thing I thought of was "huh, this might be really fun to play" and not "All that is holy, what is this sexist drivel?! I'm so offended! Harrumph!"

D'oh well, I'm still getting it.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
People like to talk about sexism in anime style games, but then you get games like Saints Row the third that let you make women who are pretty much all T&A and insult the idea of a woman not having to live up to those proportions and yet no one says anything.
I thought that sexist was one of the many things people were flipping out about re: SR the 3rd. Which I'm entirely sure that Volition loves, because, hey, free publicity.

Which incidentally is why I strongly suspect that in the case of this game this is less a function of there being actual claims of sexism by more than a few people and more a function of the devs drumming up said free publicity by claiming that there are claims of sexism.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I'm not a fighting game person but I think Skullgirls came out with a fun all-female aesthetic that happens to also be sexy. It's just a treat to look at the crazy animations, but I wouldn't say that the game exists to be fap fodder. It exists to be a budget tournament fighter for people looking for alternatives to Street Fighter or Guilty Gear. All the animations are smooth, entertaining, and imaginatively designed. So yeah, there's jiggling boobs and panty shots, but the game features them, it's not about them. Though "A woman animated them, it's not sexist!" is a weak argument, you can see that there is a bit of a woman's touch going on here. It's not like the boobs jiggle in every direction, they have a sway to them without actually doing some sort of jello boob matrix that seems to pop up in anime these days.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Bartholow is right in his underlying point, but it's a shame he couldn't avoid the "I'm not racist, I have black friends" rationale.

This game isn't sexist; pure and simple. The characters have to be extreme in their design, because if the game is good players are going to be looking at the same images for a long time - with nothing else to focus on.

Other games can be flamboyant in environment, fighting games must be flamboyant in character.

No one wants to stare at thirteen nuns fight each other for hours on end.

If anything it can be argued those crying blue murder are guilty of sexism; assuming that because the women are depicted as feminine it is meant as a slight.

Myself, I will be eyeing the game's release closely and if it is robust as it looks will welcome it to my collection.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Okay, I'm officially blacklisting the word sexist as of now.

That brings the words you're no longer allowed to say on the internet up to 3
Bias
Boycott
Sexist

There is such a grotesque double standard about what is "sexist" and not.

Some coder uses the word Whore, a character is attractive, there are no female characters in a game, prison inmate calls female superhero a ***** = sexism.

There was an article on this site that said: If guys can get boobs and videogames on the same site they'll wither away to nothingness.
No one batted an eye (except me)

So I've had it up to here with all this sexism crap.
The day Custer's Revenge 2 comes out you people will have something constructive to talk about but until then just shut the fuck up.

Consider this a better use of your time, go outside, find the prettiest woman you can and tell her that she's single-handedly diminishing her gender's respectability by being aesthetically pleasing. see how well that works out for you.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Eh, he should have just responded with "deal with it" and gone on with his day. Oh no, attractive people wearing revealing outfits, we certainly haven't seen that before. *glares at japan*

Markenson

Mar 11, 2011
EverythingIncredible said:
Skullgirls seems to me just admiration of the female form. There is absolutely nothing sexist about that.
This.

Games like this should just be accepted as part of the way things work. Men like sex, and as a result, they portray this in their media. Women do the same thing, just in different ways, and different mediums (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the erotic fiction market is still thriving).

I'd like to hear it spelt out just how this is sexist though. Who is the victim? Are we all supposed to band together and free these characters from the tyrany of their creator's minds?

Let's save the cries of sexism for the wife beaters and the mysogonists, not the healthy expressions of sexuality.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
His arguments are weak?

Me thinks not! There are precedents in gaming and it's a female doing the animation (hence smashing any claim of sexism to the ground). I don't think he could pull of better arguments than those.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
A few people who have agree with me on forums have actually said things against sexualization altogether. And while I think that Jim Sterling can be a sexist jerk, I do fall more along the lines of "sexualization of women is more of a problem because women are oversexualized while men are hardly ever treated as sex objects."

Though in fighting games in general, women with bouncing boobs in a commonality that really shouldn't be. And the last time I watched a Skullgirls video that wasn't Peacock, there were bouncing boobs.

It's not like it's not okay to enjoy a game with a little bit of sexism or racism. But the matter of the fact is that this is getting kind of old and tired, and instead of complaining about androgyny or full clothed characters or anything, we need more characters like this:
thiosk said:
Make a game with ugly female protagonists, don't sell any copies of your game.
And people wonder why people still make a fuss about sexism in video games, this is sexism as a social problem right here.

If this is the case, methinks people ought make a bigger deal out of unfair standards in games.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Heimir said:
And the same dried up feminazis who cried sexism to this. Won't lift a finger or even think about crying sexism at games like Gears of War for depicting men to be steroidal monster muscletanks. Hypocrisy tastes so good.
Except, y'know, the guys in Gears of War are beefcakes to pander to a male audience as well. So you can't call sexism since they are designed like that to appeal to men as well. So hey, there goes your argument.

That said, getting worked up over Skullgirls' character designs is just silly. I'm more offended that the idiots used Marvel vs. Capcom 2 as their major source of inspiration. Why in the bloody hell use the most broken fighting game of the past 12 years as your basis? Why not use a fighting game that actually has balance and proper mechanics?

skullduggery

Jun 6, 2011
Heimir said:
And the same dried up feminazis who cried sexism to this. Won't lift a finger or even think about crying sexism at games like Gears of War for depicting men to be steroidal monster muscletanks. Hypocrisy tastes so good.
Wait, so because GoW depicted the pinnacle of masculinity, it's sexist? How does that work? I hate to tell you champ, but when the entire male ideal revolves around blowing shit up while being a muscled badass, you can't cry sexism. It's called patriarchy, and it damages both genders. These "feminazis" (you troglodyte), have been saying this from the beginning.

OT: Phylis Schadfly is a woman. Google "internalized sexism."

P.S. Just because your one black friend thinks it's funny when you say "******," doesn't make it fine when you run around screaming it in public.

Edit: I also find it adorable when Escapist members say "OMG NOT SEXIST AT ALL WTF." Followed in the same post by "DM;HB."