Skullgirls Dev Dismisses Cries of Sexism

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Aprilgold said:
Its a parody fighter. Also, don't hear anyone complaining about how Gears of War has zero tolerable characters. This guy probably said what I was going to say best.
I honestly don't care what it is, I just find his defence to be hilarious considering it basically amounts too.
"Oh it has boobs and panty shots?! Well I'll be, we never jolly well intended to do it. I'll ask Margery what's going on down in the ol' pencil department! She's a right lil deviant is our Margery"

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
The chivalry argument seems to be the best argument put forth here. There should be no reason that he has to defend the art-style of his game, but some people feel awkward looking at someone that isn't wearing either full body armor or a trench-coat.
I don't see anything wrong with the art-style personally and with the promise of free DLC characters, it's a must buy for me.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
My god did you see how that girl tore her head off and survived?! That's impossible no woman can do that, it IS sexist! Up-playing their abilities to live through clearly lethal wounds.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Are the girls sexy and kick supreme ass?
Do they have a great characterization beyond "I have boobz?"

If so, I'm totally okay with it. And can't wait to have my sister kick my ass in it.

I mean, the chick is fighting with her head. I never even payed attention to the boobage.
Were those guys looking for that instead?

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
It's a tad juvenile, I admit, but there is nothing wrong or sexist about it, and, let's face it, many of us would be unhappy if this kind of thing didn't exist. That being said though, in a case where a legitimate argument could be made that the game was sexist then saying a woman is an animator is not a valid defense.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
It's not awkward to see a human in revealing clothing. It's awkward that the double standard in the industry and constant male gaze have become an industry tradition.

But hey, how would you like to see this all of the time in your video games?

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
I think this whole thing speaks to the over-sexualization of female characters in the video game world; obviously talented female martial artists or whatever wouldn't look at all like this but it's impossible to have a non-attractive woman in a video game. It doesn't offend me, but I do think it's fairly juvenile and plays into general stereotypes, both about gamers and about women. Also the excuse that a woman did it so it can't be sexist is silly and you know it; after all, didn't black men dress up in Minstrel shows to make some cash?

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
I'M OFFENDED.... that this game isn't out sooner, looks neat from the vid (reassembling zombie kitty lady) I want to get into this fighter and I want my friends in on it, not because of anything sexual (we stopped gawking at panties and giggle physics around Soul Calibur 2), but because this is something a little different while remaining somewhat similar since its MvC-ish.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
LilithSlave said:
It's not awkward to see a human in revealing clothing. It's awkward that the double standard in the industry and constant male gaze have become an industry tradition.

But hey, how would you like to see this all of the time in your video games?
I'll gladly take it over this:

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
So let me get this straight, you can play as a hot catgirl in a sexy outift who attacks people by exploding and dismembering herself?

I just have one question: Why are you wasting time responding to whiney cries of "Waaaa! You can see her panties!" or "Bawwwww! She's exposing too much skin!"?
Get back to work and release the god damned game already.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Lyri said:
Mike Kayatta said:
"Our characters are strong, powerful women who happen to be attractive," Bartholow said in an interview with Eurogamer. "We don't have anyone like [Street Fighter's] Cammy, who wraps her legs around your leg then beats you senseless with her Kegel muscles - or whatever is going on in that Cammy Super. There was a very conscious decision not to do things like that. None of the characters use their sexuality in any aggressive way. It's just a thing they happen to be."
I like how he's putting it all into light as if it was a huge coincidence that his all female cast fighting games are attractive.
"We never meant to draw them like that, honest!"
I don't think he is saying its a coincidence. He is saying that yes, these are sexual women but their sexuality isn't used as anything other than aesthetic unlike other games.

OT: I think the heading of the article is misleading. It seems like he used the female animator reference as a tidbit of information to ward off an offended person who thought that this was a sexist male operation instead of a legitimate excuse. Actually it sounds like he feels there is no excuse needed and I feel the same way. Its a game, there have been more offensive and less offensive games on the market for years this one really shouldn't be an issue.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I find it pretty sexist but I have always had a thing against women being considered as only as eye candy.

There's no reason other than male fanservice putting scantily clad women in a game.

It's more offensive that he's denying it really rather than just holding up his hands and admitting it.

As for the female animator, well as an artist in this economy? I would draw whatever the hell he wanted.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Dreiko said:
I actually don't like the cartoony-style art in this one bit. This isn't really anime-like art. It's more like 50s cartoons with anime aesthetic. (bouncy boobs, panty flashes, crazy attacks)

Oh and there's tons of fighters like this already out there, I think the issue here is that the makers actually are not Japanese so more people feel comfortable to confront them.

Here's something that's actually anime-like and doesn't give me the feeling of a second-hand imitation:

I love Arcana Heart, but I disagree. This cartoony art style looks fantastic. Like KND mixed with Disney. I did misspeak about labeling it an "anime aesthetic". Thanks for the correction.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
So their defense is that it can't be exploitative if a woman is responsible... is he implying that women can't be sexist to other women?

Not like I care, my defense would probably have been "Women have breasts, they move with the body and thanks to the laws of motion they don't start or stop moving at the same time" but I'm nerdy like that.

So long as all the characters are not just copies of each other and they have different ..measurements then it's all good.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
The game isn't bad, really. I mean, women (from my experience at least) like to look of women who wear extravagant skimpy outfits rather than practical wear or masculine battle-armour, so them revealing some skin is totally fine - it appeals to both audiences.

The defence given, however, is weak.

"IT'S NOT SEXIST BECAUSE A WOMAN DID IT."

Well, it still can be...why not just have more faith in your product than throwing around weak arguments?

Nathan Dewar

Dec 5, 2011
This really seems like a case of producing an issue about the game, just to get recognition when most people don't give a fuck.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
LilithSlave said:
Sorry, but I really am not going to take that wall of text in for putting my two cents in. All I see with posts like this:
LilithSlave said:
Being "attractive", is subjective.

Can we just call them "curvy" and "skinny" instead?
is that you don't like other peoples' standards or definitions of beauty. If it's subjective, let other people call what they like beautiful. I don't see the problem.