Skyrim Legalizes Gay Marriage

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Its a useless little side feature, but I like it. I dont understand why people are QQing about it being there and how potentially flawed it'll be (though basing it on past games is a bit daft as presumably the system will have been developed since previous titles...) when its something that can just be ignored.

Someone earlier made a thing about how it was being introduced as some corner stone of the game... er, no. You're being amazingly biased while ignoring all the facts. This whole gay marriage thing hasn't been announced, it wasn't revealed in an anticipated podcast, it wasn't delivered at some press conference... it was revealed in an offhand reply on twitter.

I dont even think Bethesda care, its just something they've thrown in - you can marry the opposite sex, lets just allow them to marry the same sex too.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
No big deal either way, but I cannot help the feeling that Skyrim will be cookie cutter fantasy squared.

In Morrowind the dark elves were racist fucks and it made the atmosphere more convincing, more medieval, gritty what you will.
Hell, everyone was biased in TES3, especially against the Khajit and the lizards and it was better that way.

Afteral, it is fiction, it doesn't have to be nice and should not be.
What's next? A shooter set in WW2, but with multicultural nazis, because it wouln't be PC otherwise?

I definitely prefer the Witcher approach, where the NPCs act more like people with all their flaws.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Kalezian said:
Irridium said:
Mike Kayatta said:
just breathe and take a moment to remember: You don't have to buy it.
Not even that. The relationships are completely optional, and you can play through the whole game without having to have a relationship with anyone.

I like to think "kill every one I meet" to be a type of relationship in games.

Im not stabbing you because I hate you, its how I say "Hi"!

F said:
I figure my partner will get eaten by a dragon as soon as we step into the wilderness.
depends if they are the sarcastic sidekick, romantic interest, genre savy friend, or token Redguard.

OT: This is great and all, but what I am wondering about is will the NPC's have built relationships that we can fuck up with a well placed backstab?
Better yet, moving clothes from another man's wife into the basement like we got to do in Fallout 3.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
What a great option. The furries will be happy, the fans of reptilian hentai will be happy.

There should be a "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" event that occurs if partner dies. Which would have a touch of humour to it, if they are chatting to you about spending a hoard, keeping close on this cold night, and then an arrow trap head shots them, or yes, dragon carries them off.

Hang on gay friend, I'll save you!

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
Why does there even need to be marriage in Skyrim to begin with? In Oblivion you were a lone wolf hero. Sure, you could own houses, towers, and kingdoms, but it doesn't make sense to tag along a wife or husband (or now "partner") into keeps to only attract more vampires and undead.
Its a roleplaying choice, you can just ignore the entire feature completely if you want to rolepay as a lone hero. Its a roleplaying option that I am glad they included.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I think Bethesda could've actually gone one step further. As it stands, the idea "anyone can marry any character regardless of gender" implies the whole world is just bi/pansexual, which is a little bit disingenuous to hetero and homosexuals - the world simply isn't like that. I'm all for more freedom in player choice, but it's really immersion breaking to see a world where everyone swings either way when that simply is not the case in the world.

I don't know how NPC relationships will work, but i think they could have worked in a system whereby after some time spent chatting up or wooing desired NPC, they might turn around and say "I'm sorry, but i'm straight / gay" and reject your advances based on their orientation. I know people may complain about having to go through effort only to be rejected, but it would go toward making not only the characters more individual in their own right but also create a more realistic interaction with the NPCs. Saying everyone will sleep with whoever is a bit of an easy way out. If they really wanted to ruffle feathers, they should make characters be able to state outright their orientation and have that affect the player.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Gralian said:
I think Bethesda could've actually gone one step further. As it stands, the idea "anyone can marry any character regardless of gender" implies the whole world is just bi/pansexual, which is a little bit disingenuous to hetero and homosexuals - the world simply isn't like that. I'm all for more freedom in player choice, but it's really immersion breaking to see a world where everyone swings either way when that simply is not the case in the world.

I don't know how NPC relationships will work, but i think they could have worked in a system whereby after some time spent chatting up or wooing desired NPC, they might turn around and say "I'm sorry, but i'm straight / gay" and reject your advances based on their orientation. I know people may complain about having to go through effort only to be rejected, but it would go toward making not only the characters more individual in their own right but also create a more realistic interaction with the NPCs. Saying everyone will sleep with whoever is a bit of an easy way out. If they really wanted to ruffle feathers, they should make characters be able to state outright their orientation and have that affect the player.
That would have been only way to do it properly.

Blind indifference and complete interchangeability is easier to code though, so players will see nothing more than a simple checkbox feature.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
If you don't like the whole "Gay marrage in games" thing. You're stupid. Hey, even if you aren't gay, wouldn't you be pissed if a game said, "Oh look, your Husband/Wife will help you in dungeons." and you find a character that you would LOOOVE to go dungeon raiding with, only to find, NOPE, you gotta bonk them first, only to find, NO SAME SEX COUPLES, only to find that you have to make a female character, then do 5000000 chores to get them to the same level as your male character, so you can go dungeon raiding with a female replica of your character with "Olaf", just so you can have OLAF THE "MIGHTY" end up to be a complete douche and kill steal everything, until he dies right at the hardest part, leaving you to die facing a dragon called something like "Indie the Incinerator".

[Fact]: Anyone who has anything wrong with same sex couples is just ignorant.

Deinsleaf

Aug 20, 2011
NPCs in Skyrim should be Animists since it is a throwback to a simpler time where phenomena are explained by spirits and such. Therefore, they should be able to marry anything! But seriously, kudos to Bethesda for opening up the options of marriage.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Wait. They legalized gay marriage in Skyrim? Not to be rude, but wouldn't they have to legalize ALL marriage first? That's a new tale for me... never heard you could do that.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Thoric485 said:
The thing i don't like about this is that characters aren't made with a set personality and sexual preference, but adjust to the player's gender.

So they're not straight, gay, lesbian or bi-sexual, they're all... protagonist-sexual. And that's bland, lame and quite frankly immersion breaking.
Where'd you read this? I can't seem to find it.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Can't wait to marry many many skooma addicts. The game is actually looking refreshing after Oblivion and it's tedium.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
Here's hoping that if Bethesda makes the mistake of sending a representative to FOX to defend their game from the inevitable reactionary nonsense that spews from that station, they don't try to play by their rules. I would just love to see one of those guys in the fake two-on-one interviews state outright:

"No, I don't think it matters at all. This was our game, we decided to make it the way we wanted to, and that was to give the player as much choice as they bloody well wanted. Really, we love gay people! We might not want to marry them or have sex with them, but do you really think we're going to persecute them like you idiots?

Oh, and by the way... this is a game where you can slay fictional beasts, murder entire towns in one sitting, serve quasi-Demonic overlords, be an assassin, become a vampire/werewolf/etc.... and what you're objecting to is the fact that your character can marry another character of the same sex? I smell bullshit."

JimmyFury

Apr 19, 2011
Gralian said:
I think Bethesda could've actually gone one step further. As it stands, the idea "anyone can marry any character regardless of gender" implies the whole world is just bi/pansexual
If memory serves the same wording was used to describe the marriage options in all three Fable games even though there were limitations based on the sexuality of the NPCs.
It's twitter, there may simply not have been enough room to fully explain it. Also going into any more detail would have been the opposite of not making a big deal out of it.

From what I've read so far it probably will be more along the lines of what you're saying even if everyone's bisexual. They've already stated that friends, companions, and quest givers will depend on your choices and alignments. It doesn't seem unfair to assume relationships will also depend on your character's personality and choices.

As to immersion, how would it be immersion breaking unless you broke your own immersion to acknowledge it? Does that make sense?
For arguments sake let's say you're right and every NPC is pansexual. How will you know that in game unless you go around and hit on literally every NPC?
You'll only ever know that from a meta perspective where immersion is already broken right?

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
putowtin said:
F said:
I figure my partner will get eaten by a dragon as soon as we step into the wilderness.
is that what they call wife killing in Tamriel?
"well it's like this officer we were taking a moon lit walk when this big dragon appeared and just ate my wife!"
"And I was just sitting above those Spiky rocks when my first wife was pushed off by another dragon, I swear officer"

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Yes. Yes. Freaking yes.

Totally going to go after an Argonian just to ramp the weirdness up further.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Can you imagine the sex? I mean, Argonians are scaly, aren't they? Wouldn't that chafe?

I hope it's a little more interactive than Fable, though. All I did with those relationships is forget about them. I must have littered most of Albion with my polygamyous bastard spawn.

And I meant the realtionships are more interactive, not the sex. For that we have Bonetown.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
This better be better then Fable's system, also this better mean more houses.

But this is gonna be weird, mabey they can add co-op.