Skyrim PC Requirements Revealed

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
rvbnut said:
TheHecatomb said:
rvbnut said:
Really? You expect Bethesda to split the pc market or lose that part of their market that don't have cards that run DX10 or DX11? Get real dude.
Nice attitude, I take it you have something against progress? Did you write similar complaints when Sony released the PS3 or Microsoft the 360? Hardware changes, DX9 is outdated. Deal with it.
I see your point and raise you a "It's bethesda. Deal with it".
You have been rvbnutstomped. Nice one. :)

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
my class demands mouse control so i'll be getting that for pc
good that i invested some cash in a new VC
now i can play my most anticipated game this year on ultra :)

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Welp, I was going to have to upgrade eventually (better than buying everything new...). But I have to ask, are processors complicated to upgrade? I have an Intel core duo E8500 (3.16 GHz) , and an ol' Nividia 8800 GT card. The card I know how to switch out, but I've never upgraded a processor before. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it have to match up with the motherboard? And if so, are they now generally pretty easy to upgrade, like going from a recent enough Intel to a newer model?

I just hope for some sales around Official Pre-Christmas after quickly seeing the price on some of these parts.
Quick Ben said:
If I'm not mistaken that Core 2 Duo is LGA775 socket, which means you are limited to other LGA775's for upgrading. So you have the possibility to get a Core 2 Quad or Core 2 Extreme. However, LGA775 is quite outdated as of now, so I'd rather recommend using the one you have if gives you acceptable performance, or getting a new motherboard that supports newer AMD or Intel processors (LGA1156 for example). Or simply waiting for rumored new socket(s) that might be along in 2012.
Bear in mind that's only a possibility, you may physically be able to fit a Core 2 Quad in there but the odds aren't good it will actually work with your motherboard. You've also got RAM to worry about, chances are you're running 2 gig of DDR2 which can be difficult and expensive to upgrade, and will throttle your performance if you don't. If you find out what your motherboard supports you might be able to get away with slotting some new stuff in but odds are it will be more cost effective to buy either a cheap AMD board, RAM and processor or an expensive i5 2500k setup (or wait for Ivybridge, processor technology has been stalled for some time now).

If you do upgrade it's basically building a new computer, since you're replacing motherboard you have to unplug essentially every component and refit it, you'll also need to reinstall your OS and that will involve negotiating licensing with MS, I've heard you are allowed to do this but can't confirm it.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
Rack said:
It runs on the 360, those requirements are completely ludicrously over the top.
Pcs are running at 1080p (and no consoles don't, not a single AAA console game runs above 720), with anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and more than likely some higher texture quality for higher settings. And if you honestly think those requirements are over the top, then you must not have been playing much pc for these last few years.
PCs are sure, but those with recommended settings? Not so much, recommended is generally based around 1024x768 at medium details and an average 30fps, enough for a playable experience but no more.

It has been lean this year I'll admit, games like Space Marine and Portal 2 are fine, I've been able to run them at 1080p max details, 2xAA and a solid 60fps with vsync. But Deus Ex and Bulletstorm have run substantially worse than the 360 version while simultaneously being praised for their "surprisingly light" requirements. Considering how utterly this system crushes the console versions of Dead Rising 2, Oblivion and Devil May Cry 4 that smacks of out and out corruption.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Hmm, children. I wonder If I'll be able to run it at max?

Yep, I think I will.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
That 6GB install concerns me a little bit. Hopefully it's just a sign that it's well compressed, and not a sign that it's a bit lacking in some area.

MercurySteam said:
Do I spy G.Skill Ripjaw RAM, by any chance?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Rack said:
Bear in mind that's only a possibility, you may physically be able to fit a Core 2 Quad in there but the odds aren't good it will actually work with your motherboard. You've also got RAM to worry about, chances are you're running 2 gig of DDR2 which can be difficult and expensive to upgrade, and will throttle your performance if you don't. If you find out what your motherboard supports you might be able to get away with slotting some new stuff in but odds are it will be more cost effective to buy either a cheap AMD board, RAM and processor or an expensive i5 2500k setup.
I've looked around and I don't think it's possible to buy Core 2 Quads (at least new, anyway) anymore. Plus, there are no 'odds' about it when installing CPUs. The CPU must correspond with the socket in the mobo or it's not going to work. Also, the newer Intel CPUs aren't compatible with DDR2 so if he's upgrading to Intel then he'll need new RAM too, though DDR3 isn't actually that expensive (I got 2x4GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X for only $75). For gamers I have to recommend Intel as AMD is falling further and further behind, though if you value saving money over everything else then AMD will serve you well.

wait for Ivybridge, processor technology has been stalled for some time now
Two things. First, Ivy Bridge doesn't come out till at least March 2012, so he'll have plenty of time to save. Second, CPU technology has never been better. Intel Sandy Bridge architecture wiped the floor with the old AMD K-10 architecture. I saw a low frequency AMD quad-core get it's ass handed to it by the weakest of the 2nd Generation i3s (dual-core) in gaming benches.

So no, CPUs are just getting started.
Camarilla said:
MercurySteam said:
Do I spy G.Skill Ripjaw RAM, by any chance?
Close, those are 2x4GB Ripjaws X @ 1600MHz (timings: 8-8-8-24-2N).

My Atlasbreaker (yes, that's its name) will om-nom-nom games for years to come.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Even the recommended specs aren't that high. I don't think I know anyone who still uses the Nvidia 200 series or ATI 4000 series cards.
I still use a 4770 that I got for all of $100 a couple years ago, and while it probably wouldn't do as well with something like BF3, I've been pretty impressed by how great it's held up running most other stuff on high or even maxed out at 1920x1200 still. It's only things like this and The Witcher 2 that finally have me waiting for the 7850 to come out (and hoping that it's actually good).

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Waaghpowa said:
Even the recommended specs aren't that high. I don't think I know anyone who still uses the Nvidia 200 series or ATI 4000 series cards.
I still use a 4770 that I got for all of $100 a couple years ago, and while it probably wouldn't do as well with something like BF3, I've been pretty impressed by how great it's held up running most other stuff on high or even maxed out at 1920x1200 still. It's only things like this and The Witcher 2 that finally have me waiting for the 7850 to come out (and hoping that it's actually good).
If you're not picky about manufacturer, the gtx 500 series have gotten really cheap and are considerably powerful.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
That's it!? Fuck waiting, I'm getting it on launch day! It's not gonna look pretty, but it's gonna run.

Atomic Piranha

Dec 24, 2008
So I've got a laptop with intel i3 processor, 4 gigs of RAM and Nvidia GT 325M, how well do you guys think I could run it? It seems to meet the requirements but I'm skeptical because it could only run Fallout New Vegas on low-medium settings.

Teshi

May 8, 2010
TheHecatomb said:
rvbnut said:
Really? You expect Bethesda to split the pc market or lose that part of their market that don't have cards that run DX10 or DX11? Get real dude.
Nice attitude, I take it you have something against progress? Did you write similar complaints when Sony released the PS3 or Microsoft the 360? Hardware changes, DX9 is outdated. Deal with it.
Well, Sony made money off selling PS3s AND off the games. Same with Microsoft and the 360. So it was to their advantage to encourage people to switch to newer consoles. Bethesda doesn't get much of anything out of pushing people to upgrade, and it loses a portion of the market.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Skyrim is using the same engine (albeit heavily modded and tweaked) as Oblivion and Fallout 3
Skyrim is using a new engine, and thank god to that. The Gamebyro engine is one of the worst pieces of shit ever released and this one will most likely follow it in its footsteps(in true Bethesda fashion).

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
Teshi said:
Well, Sony made money off selling PS3s AND off the games. Same with Microsoft and the 360. So it was to their advantage to encourage people to switch to newer consoles. Bethesda doesn't get much of anything out of pushing people to upgrade, and it loses a portion of the market.
That's a fair point and to a certain extent I agree, however clinging to outdated hard- or software out of fear of losing a portion of any market will inevitably lead to stagnation. You don't see studios optimizing games for Windows 2000 anymore either, know what I mean?

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
So, let me get this straight: If I go in to $(RETAILER) and drop $60.00 on this for a PC DVD, I [em]still[/em] have to infect my system with Steam to run it?

Looks like Bethesda just lost a sale. Shame, too. It was the only game coming down the pike that I was even remotely interested in.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
ewhac said:
So, let me get this straight: If I go in to $(RETAILER) and drop $60.00 on this for a PC DVD, I [em]still[/em] have to infect my system with Steam to run it?

Looks like Bethesda just lost a sale. Shame, too. It was the only game coming down the pike that I was even remotely interested in.
1. This is true of every single steamworks game.
2. Steam isn't resource-heavy, you won't notice it.