Skyrim physical copies have no data on the discs

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
Same thing happened to me with Metro, IF I WANTED TO PLAY IT THROUGH STEAM, I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED IT THROUGH STEAM!

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Somonah said:
People still buy PC games from stores?

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
Good luck getting that Artbook and Statue through an internet download, buddy! lol

OT: I'm sure, and it seems like it's confirmed, that the data is there. The STEAM redirects are checks to gauge legitimacy and release time. This game is REALLY small (install wise), so it would be stupid not to have it on the disc.

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
Ooooh come on!

I live in Holland so I got my physical copy today. Since it's Steam activated I can't play it yet. This better not be true. I didn't get that disc only to have to download the whole frigging thing anyway. My internet has been pretty slow the last few months.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I only got the physical copy since it comes with a sweet ass map. I do hope you can install off the disc (It'd be silly if you can't), but if you HAVE to do a big 6gb download I'll have to queue it up to download after midnight as my ISP doesn't count overnight use against the data limit. Considering 6Gb is the equivalent of 3 days of internet data usage I can wait an extra day.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is simply not true. The easiest way to check this if you don't have the physical copy yet (mine always comes late for some mystical reason) is to go to a torrent site, where you can see a lot of Skyrim Steam DVD's that take 6Gb. So the data is on the disk. Your friend is confused.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Makes you wonder why they even have a disc.

Why not a voucher with a scratch-plate to reveal the one-time-use product code?

Arluza said:
I want to be able to install from the disc
There is a work around and this works for every steam game. If one of your friends has downloaded Skyrim already (or any Steam game) then they can back it up to a USB stick and then restore that on a completely different computer and different account.

Of course, if you haven't bought the product key the game is unplayable, but if you have but haven't downloaded it, the back-up files are universal.

So next time you meet your friend, swap some USB sticks.

I just wish stores could do this. Like just have unauthorised data-files for loads of games you can pick up for £1 and then pay steam for the product key to unlock the game.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
good thing I don't have plans of playing this until my new comp is completed. Which should be sometime around January, might as well wait until cool mods start hitting mid summer

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Somonah said:

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
1. No need to be a douche.
2. Why is the expectation that everyone has internet. Here in Canada, the main providers cap and throttle downloads. If a person pays for a game, they shouldn't also have to maintain an internet connection.

Speaking of, why don't the publishers pay for my internet on a monthly basis if I buy a game (and have to always be online to play single player games)?

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
distortedreality said:
Caniroth said:
This is not true, I've got the Skyrim DVD as well, and it has data on it, it just won't let you install it untill 11-11-11 (it checks with Steam though, but you won't have to download).
*sigh of relief*
Quoting for truth and justice.
And also because the OP should really alter his post in light of this... orrr the whole thread is liable to turn into a flame war or a trollfest any time now.

Oh wait, no, it did.

DYin01 said:
Nah you're alright, read the quote from distortedreality. I was just quoting you so I can ask; who's that in your profile pic? 'Cos they have a sweet looking guitar.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Somonah said:
1. you're right, no need to be a douche. good thing i wasn't.
You kind of were.
Some people just like having physical copies of things.

I have the vast majority of my music in a physical format, but thats not because I'm too much of a cretin to use iTunes; its because I like having an actual collection....

Zenino

Jun 16, 2009
I have preordered my physical DVD copy of Skyrim; how am I supposed to install it? Do I need to install the Steam client first?

No. What you're actually installing when you completely install Skyrim from the DVD is the Steam client itself (as long as you haven't installed Steam in your system yet), which will then automatically copy the required game files from the DVD to your hard drive. You'll be asked to enter your Steam account name and password to log onto Steam authentication servers, then setup will start. If you don't have a Steam account you'll be asked to register one before installing Skyrim. Note that some of the files may be pulled from the internet through the Steam client to complete the installation, rather than all being on the DVD.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
Somonah said:

No, I have an 8-track and some pictures on the wall that I re-draw every now and then to simulate moving images.

You can get some great deals in stores on PC games, so it'd be silly to ignore a great bargain on a game just because the cool kids use Origin.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
Somonah said:
Appleshampoo said:
No, I have an 8-track and some pictures on the wall that I re-draw every now and then to simulate moving images.

You can get some great deals in stores on PC games, so it'd be silly to ignore a great bargain on a game just because the cool kids use Origin.
Cool kids use Direct2Drive, GOG and Steam. Idiots use Origin.
I should uninstall Origin, since I don't want to be called an idiot :(

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
distortedreality said:
Kris015 said:
Just fucking great. I don't have any more space on the HDD where i keep steam -.-
Even if you install it from a disc, it still needs to go where Steam does...
What do you mean? I bought retail. I have 3 HDDs so if it didn't use steam I'd just install it on another one.

craftomega

May 4, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Wow. They may as well just give you a floppy disk with "Skyrim" written on it in Sharpie to save on the price for the CD.

So I see little reason to buy it in stores, if I'm just going to have to slowly download it from Steam anyway.
2 words for you CLOTH..........MAP

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Kris015 said:
distortedreality said:
Kris015 said:
Just fucking great. I don't have any more space on the HDD where i keep steam -.-
Even if you install it from a disc, it still needs to go where Steam does...
What do you mean? I bought retail. I have 3 HDDs so if it didn't use steam I'd just install it on another one.
Akaik it's a steamworks title, which means it installs where all your other steam games are.