Skyrim physical copies have no data on the discs

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
They Had better fix this asap, as I am from Ontario and Our internet providers are absolute dicks when it comes to Plan Pricing. I think We are paying 40 bucks for 60 gigs a month, I already downloaded DCU online to try it out, not quite noticing it was 17 gigs and now I can't really download anything or watch netflix because wham 1/3 of the whole month is gone in about 1 game.

If I do budge from my, wait until complete edition comes out stance, It would be to buy it on a disc to load it onto my pc and not have to download it. So I guess I have to get the xbox version.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
If that's true, it's really shit of them. I download at less than 100kb/s, and I won't be able to start until midday or later, because I live out in the sticks and the mail is never earlier than that.

That makes me want to cancel my pre-order, basically.

Caniroth

Mar 23, 2011
This is not true, I've got the Skyrim DVD as well, and it has data on it, it just won't let you install it untill 11-11-11 (it checks with Steam though, but you won't have to download it, well, maybe you'll have to download a patch :) ).

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Caniroth said:
This is not true, I've got the Skyrim DVD as well, and it has data on it, it just won't let you install it untill 11-11-11 (it checks with Steam though, but you won't have to download).
*sigh of relief*

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
neonsword13-ops said:
Console gaming for da win!
I lol'd.

Anyways: Yeah, I pre-ordered it for PS3, so...

Still sucks though. Maybe they'll change it by the time it's released.

Apr 28, 2008
SuperMse said:
That's how every Valve game works, yet everyone seems fine with them.
Um... no. I've installed Portal 2 using the disk. As well as Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2 and its Episodes, Portal, Day of Defeat Source, and Counter-Strike Source.

OT: Chances are your friend made the same mistake I made with Civilization V. Chances are it just auto-defaulted to installing by downloading from Steam. To fix it you have to manually run the setup.exe. Pain in the ass, yes, but there it is.

Wouldn't matter anyway. Skyrim doesn't unlock for a few days, so even if he did install it, he couldn't play it until the 11th.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
It would be stupid for Bethesda to release disks before Friday containing the entire game behind some minor install protection, as it would ensure that the entire game would be on pirate sites before release. I would imagine the game disks released after Friday would contain the actual game files, so we have to wait until then before everyone jumps on the "Worst Thing Ever" train.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
What the fuck, man? The point of a physical copy is to download from the disc. No one buys a disc and thinks, "Great! Now I can have someone hold my hand as I download the game through Steam!"

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
zacman5001 said:
Somonah said:
People still buy PC games from stores?
I get most of my games from steam, But there's no way I'm downloading 5Gb+ games if I don't have to. Canadian ISP's have low download caps.
Primus Canada ISP, same speed as Bell highspeed, unlimited bandwidth for 35 bucks a month. Neither Bell, nor Rogers offers that.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Somonah said:

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
yeah, it's great living in a cave.... the sole idea of LCD's scare me....

We buy hard copies so that we don't have to download countless Gig of games and waste what little internet downloads we have on games for the month... I mean, if hard copies didn't exist then my internet would be permenantly shaped to dial-up speed because not everyone can afford unlimited downloads!

OT: I was unsure about buying Skyrim on PC... actually I'm unsure about buying any "new" game from this generation since the PC port of Rage made PC gamers... well... rage... I probably will still get it... just get a backup done off a friend of mine who does have unlim downloads...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Caniroth said:
This is not true, I've got the Skyrim DVD as well, and it has data on it, it just won't let you install it untill 11-11-11 (it checks with Steam though, but you won't have to download it, well, maybe you'll have to download a patch :) ).
Oh, snap! OP should see this...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Well frak. If true, this is really going to upset a friend of mine in NZ. They have a download cap, and Skyrim would chew hers up like a pack of wolves on a steak.
>.> have you TOLD her yet? cause i can already hear her raging at this

zacman5001

Mar 1, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
zacman5001 said:
Somonah said:
I get most of my games from steam, But there's no way I'm downloading 5Gb+ games if I don't have to. Canadian ISP's have low download caps.
Primus Canada ISP, same speed as Bell highspeed, unlimited bandwidth for 35 bucks a month. Neither Bell, nor Rogers offers that.
Never seen that before, going to have to look into it. Thanks!

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
Ok, so here is the thing, I am not unwilling to believe that a publisher would sell games that you could only download in boxes. However, they wouldn't waste a DVD to do so. If this was true, your friend would have opened the box and found a slip of paper with a download code from steam.

I call B.S. on the story.

***EDIT***

POIDH

****EDIT****
Also it would be an insane business model as:
a) unless the box stated clearly that high speed internet was required to downlad 6GB before you could play, peopled would sue the hell out of them under virtually every contries consumer protection laws

b) you'd be pissing off so many customers for no reason at all .