Skyrim physical copies have no data on the discs

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Somonah said:
I bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
That is completely untrue and unfounded. I do NOT have music on cassettes!

On a side note, is this game coming on a DVD or a CD? Because if so little data is used, it might as well be the latter.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
neonsword13-ops said:
Console gaming for da win!

OT: But seriously, that sucks. The Steam servers are going to be very busy come 11/11/11.
Never has The Office been put to such good use...

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I almost preordered from a brick and mortar store since my DSL is hit-or-miss and I've had Steam server problems with preloads in the past. I'm glad I changed my mind and went with Steam-only.

Jimmy Sylvers

Aug 30, 2011
I really have trouble believing this. If it is true it will cause much rage especially in Australia where I know a lot of people have very limited internet connections.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
zacman5001 said:
Somonah said:
People still buy PC games from stores?
I get most of my games from steam, But there's no way I'm downloading 5Gb+ games if I don't have to. Canadian ISP's have low download caps.
Primus Canada ISP, same speed as Bell highspeed, unlimited bandwidth for 35 bucks a month. Neither Bell, nor Rogers offers that.
Or Shaw depending on where you live. I got unlimited. Granted its their fastest package but its unlimited.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
I'm from New Zealand, was going to buy it, now I can't without sacrificing some half my months worth of internet.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Doesn't worry me true or not, for the first time ever I bought an elderscrolls game on x-box not pc (getting too old).

Vergial

Mar 16, 2009
...I'm having a hard time believing just how dense almost everyone in this thread is.

He has the game before launch.

It's a Steam game.

BEFORE LAUNCH.

STEAM GAME.

Is this helping anyone make the connection? At all?

For those still quite slow: The disc has data to check with Steam to see if the game is actually released. If it is not, nothing happens. If it IS, the install can proceed. Steam has done this for MULTIPLE games to avoid the pre-launch gameplay silliness.

Christ. My IQ dropped just looking at this thread.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
I'm from New Zealand, was going to buy it but now am not going to, otherwise half or so of my months internet will be taken.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Somonah said:

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
Actually, I do, for various reasons.

I also have vinyl records and laserdiscs. And the oldest book I own is from 1754. All that stuff still works and makes me happy, and still I can enjoy my games on Steam, it just boggles the mind how flexible old people are at times, doesn't it.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Dick Move. I preordered my copy from Gamestop so I could just run to the store after work and install, play and avoid steam to easily mod. Now I got to download 6 fucking gigs then sleep again for work? Some gay shit right there. I hope OP's just trolling.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Somonah said:

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
I buy most of my games off Steam, but I still have some cassettes and VHS tapes, still use 'em too! I like watching VHS movies on my 52" HDTV.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Arluza said:
One of my acquaintances got the PC copy of Skyrim today. He already knew that he wouldn't be able to play until Friday, but he looked on the disc anyway to see if he could install any of it. The answer is no. All in the disc is a small bit of code redirecting to Steam so you can download all of the game from there.

I am kinda pissed about this. I paid $150 for the CE of the game and I want to be able to install from the disc (A La Deus Ex: Human Revolution) because it is a LOT faster. I guess I am a little lucky to not have it coming to me until the 12th, because by then I expect I might be able to download it from Steam by the time it gets here. Those servers will be too full and wouldn't see me anyway.Just thought I'd tell you guys.

I know for some of you, it doesn't matter at all. But this type of thing aggravates me a bit.

Sorry, going to need more hardcore evidence than this to make people believe that this isn't just some factory defect. It just makes no sense what so ever that a company would waste literally millions on plastic disks with no data, paper/plastic packaging, shipping, etc, if the game was just going to be downloaded on Steam.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
This is the worst possible news I could have heard. I realize that steam is nice and all, but damn it I wanted a physical copy! It'll take me forever to download it on the release date with my internet connection...

Maybe OP is exaggerating though... Either way I don't like the idea of having to use an internet service to validate the game. I bought a physical copy to AVOID that.

Although on the other hand, at least I'll finally have some games on my steam account other than Team Fortress 2.

My heart is broken.

WaffleCopters

Dec 13, 2009
you sure its not like a lot of steam games, where is the Pak files on there, and it unpacks them instead of installing? (but pretends its installing, which in a way it is)
thats what i found about Dead island... the preload gave you a bunch of pak files that required steam to unpack to use, and steam woudnt do it until the release date.